Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson's Hall of Fame Speech

Started by Jason Carroll, August 09, 2014, 12:19:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkhawg

I love how people say nolan quit coaching and recruiting those last five years but we made NCAA tournaments 4 times, made it to the second round twice, won conf Tourn, and had a good recruiting class coming in.  Everyone talks about how bad we were at the end of Nolan's career, but in reality since he left we haven't even come close to his down years.

root_hawg

Just because you are in multiple HOFs and etc; when you crap on the university that gave you the platform for your success...it is kind of hard to honor him.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hawkhawg on August 12, 2014, 09:59:07 pm
I love how people say nolan quit coaching and recruiting those last five years but we made NCAA tournaments 4 times, made it to the second round twice, won conf Tourn, and had a good recruiting class coming in.  Everyone talks about how bad we were at the end of Nolan's career, but in reality since he left we haven't even come close to his down years.

wow, hadn't thought of it like that.  Time for UA to honor the man. Everyone else has.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomasPistola

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 09, 2014, 08:17:06 am
I expect to get blasted but I thought he sounded ridiculous.  He rambled and stumbled over his words for the better part of twenty minutes.  At least he treaded lightly over racial issues.

Yeah...you are pretty much completely wrong...except for the getting blasted part.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

intelligence

Quote from: root_hawg on August 12, 2014, 10:37:13 pm
Just because you are in multiple HOFs and etc; when you crap on the university that gave you the platform for your success discrimated against you and wouldn't give you a practice facility...it is kind of hard to honor him.

fixed that for you

Westcoasthog

Nolan Richardson made a great speech at the Hall of Fame Naismith Memorial Basketball.  It is time to name "Nolan Richardson Court" at Bud Walton Arena.

root_hawg

Never proved any discrimination; and no one since him has had a practice facility until now.

Mick Hogger

Quote from: HF#1 on August 12, 2014, 01:49:08 pm
It baffles me as well Ched.  Nolan is a legend, built this program, and we have yet to truly honor him.

I hope the hanging of the jersey for him this year is just the beginning.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

jesterzzn

Quote from: root_hawg on August 11, 2014, 09:57:09 pm
Yawn..he got paid to win and when he did..he got paid.  When he stopped winning and started complaining, he was gone.  Enjoy the accolades and the retirement.

Nolan was fired during his ONLY losing season (14-15) since his first year, and he had a future All-NBA player signed for the next season.  The season he was fired followed four straight NCAA Tournament appearances and fifteen straight seasons in the postseason (including 13 out of 14 years in the NCAA).

Please stop with the "he wasn't winning" myth.  He was winning.  It makes you look ignorant and stupid.  Especially considering the program's difficulty since Nolan's exit.

He was fired for many reasons, all of which had NOTHING to do with his team's performance.

Swinesong1

Quote from: jesterzzn on August 13, 2014, 10:17:05 pm
Nolan was fired during his ONLY losing season (14-15) since his first year, and he had a future All-NBA player signed for the next season.  The season he was fired followed four straight NCAA Tournament appearances and fifteen straight seasons in the postseason (including 13 out of 14 years in the NCAA).

Please stop with the "he wasn't winning" myth.  He was winning.  It makes you look ignorant and stupid.  Especially considering the program's difficulty since Nolan's exit.

He was fired for many reasons, all of which had NOTHING to do with his team's performance.
Standing ovation and +1

That was extraordinary.  Easy to see why his players played so hard for him.

No1Hog27

HogsonHicks

Quote from: intelligence on August 09, 2014, 01:42:37 am
can't say I blame him. Not a single person stood up for Nolan when he unveiled the supposed true colors of the beloved Frank Broyles. Dude won a national championship and we couldn't spare the money for a practice facility. But boy was ole frank eager to dump loads of cash in the vicinity of Hooty and the Bowlflush.

You realize Broyles hired him too, right?  Broyles hired the first black coach of a significant sport in SWC history, yet he's portrayed as some sort of bigot.  I'm not sure how those things align.

I love Nolan (heck even went to two of his summer camps), but I cringed when he said, "If they go ahead and pay me my money, they can take my job tomorrow" on national TV after a loss. 

Regardless, it was a heck of a speech, and I'm glad the UA and Richardson seem to have put the past behind him.  I love seeing the guy in the crowd during games.

Quote from: HogsonHicks on August 15, 2014, 10:11:48 am
You realize Broyles hired him too, right?  Broyles hired the first black coach of a significant sport in SWC history, yet he's portrayed as some sort of bigot.  I'm not sure how those things align.

I love Nolan (heck even went to two of his summer camps), but I cringed when he said, "If they go ahead and pay me my money, they can take my job tomorrow" on national TV after a loss. 

Regardless, it was a heck of a speech, and I'm glad the UA and Richardson seem to have put the past behind him.  I love seeing the guy in the crowd during games.
Nolan even mentioned Frank in the speech.

jesterzzn

Quote from: Karma on August 15, 2014, 05:04:55 pm
Nolan even mentioned Frank in the speech.

He did.  You could tell it hurt him to do it though.

Look, Nolan isn't perfect.  He directed alot of hate towards Frank that was unjustified.  He still does.  But the relationship those two had is history.  Water under the bridge.  They've both said so.  They'll never be friends.  So what.  They can live and let live, and its a shame some of our fans can't.

intelligence

Quote from: jesterzzn on August 15, 2014, 05:50:28 pm
He did.  You could tell it hurt him to do it though.

Look, Nolan isn't perfect.  He directed alot of hate towards Frank that was unjustified.  He still does.  But the relationship those two had is history.  Water under the bridge.  They've both said so.  They'll never be friends.  So what.  They can live and let live, and its a shame some of our fans can't.
Granting frank a pardon for compartmentalizing Nolan is far and a way from "live and let live"

jesterzzn

Quote from: intelligence on August 15, 2014, 05:58:08 pm
Granting frank a pardon for compartmentalizing Nolan is far and a way from "live and let live"

The only time I've heard him bring Frank up since he starting coming back to games was during that speech.  Which for Nolan, says more than a mouthful.  He's moved on.

TomBigBeeHog

[quote auth=jesterzzn link=topic=571603.msg9120642#msg9120642 date=1408143621]
The only time I've heard him bring Frank up since he starting coming back to games was during that speech.  Which for Nolan, says more than a mouthful.  He's moved on.
[/quote]

^^^Nolan's still coaching. 
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.