Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Depth Chart Right Now

Started by Josh Goforth, August 08, 2014, 11:07:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

Era, what would we gain by starting Ragnow in game 6 or game 7? WOuld him becoming a starter translate into wins? It did not last year with Kirkland and Skipper. What we would lose is a 5th year starter 4 years from now.

IF we had redshirted the 2 Freshmen O'Linemen last year they would be 5th year seniors in Ragnow and Wallace's RS Junior year! What an O'Line, throw in the kid that did redshirt last year and just look.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on August 10, 2014, 10:37:18 am
To your point, I for one would be willing to make a small wager we see Ragnow as a starter at the center position no later than mid year.  I believe I heard or read that Ragnow spent the entire time from signing day until he reported learning all of the blocking schemes of the O-line playbook in order to expedite his ability to play at center.

I'm not going to go that far. I think that if at all possible, Smothers will hold onto the position at Center. Ragnow, having never played Center before will spend this season learning and if they can possibly keep him off the playing field so that they can commit him as a RS at the end of the season, I think that they will. Now if Smothers stumbles, that could change everything, unless they want to move Charpentier back to that position to preserve Ragnow's RS.

It's hard to say what they would do in a situation like that. I do feel that it is clear that this staff, as much as they want to win now, are also willing to sacrifice wins now, to build for the future.

What I wouldn't give to be able to sit in on some staff meetings involving personnel evaluations right now. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

Lake City Hog

Anyone think that we could possibly see an informal depth chart put out by BB say Monday or Tuesday? A posted depth chart heading into the week could be a great motivational tool.

Cinco de Hogo

Surprised at the number of former Petrino and Smith recruits still on the two deep on defense.  The offense has more of Beilema's players and that's understandable with the change in scheme.  However as much as Petrino's defense recruiting is dogged you would think it would have more turnover.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Lake City Hog on August 10, 2014, 11:14:03 am
Anyone think that we could possibly see an informal depth chart put out by BB say Monday or Tuesday? A posted depth chart heading into the week could be a great motivational tool.

Wouldn't be surprised. A more formal and final depth chart posted on the Monday after next weekends scrimmage. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: Lake City Hog on August 10, 2014, 10:56:26 am
Era, what would we gain by starting Ragnow in game 6 or game 7? WOuld him becoming a starter translate into wins? It did not last year with Kirkland and Skipper. What we would lose is a 5th year starter 4 years from now.

IF we had redshirted the 2 Freshmen O'Linemen last year they would be 5th year seniors in Ragnow and Wallace's RS Junior year! What an O'Line, throw in the kid that did redshirt last year and just look.

I certainly don't think I'm qualified to coach, at any level, or a great evaluator of talent.  My belief that Ragnow will start this year is based around three things.  1)  The incredible praise  he has received from the coaches 2) The fact that these coaches believe in starting freshmen if they are the best at any position 3) Using last year as the model, this staff would rather burn a redshirt and let a young man get playing time in the SEC than to hold on to that redshirt.  I believe this is because they fully intend to recruit someone better this year than the year before and the knowledge that we have a lot of ground to make up in order to have a starting lineup equal to that of the very best teams in the SEC.  I'm fully prepared to be wrong as it wouldn't be my first time by any means, but that's my reasoning.

As far as your first question, that wasn't anything I implied.  It does however appear the coaches believe there is something to be gained in burning those redshirts.  And again, I'll certainly respect their decisions over anyone outside of the program.  I will say that I don't think we lost any games last year because Kirkland and Skipper started.  I actually think we will win games this year that we may not have because they did start last year.  Once this program is built then we can worry about fifth year seniors.  As for now, I think the coaches are trying to put the best guys on the field regardless of seniority.

I think this is something you and I will just have to disagree on.

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 10, 2014, 10:57:58 am
I'm not going to go that far. I think that if at all possible, Smothers will hold onto the position at Center. Ragnow, having never played Center before will spend this season learning and if they can possibly keep him off the playing field so that they can commit him as a RS at the end of the season, I think that they will. Now if Smothers stumbles, that could change everything, unless they want to move Charpentier back to that position to preserve Ragnow's RS.

It's hard to say what they would do in a situation like that. I do feel that it is clear that this staff, as much as they want to win now, are also willing to sacrifice wins now, to build for the future.

What I wouldn't give to be able to sit in on some staff meetings involving personnel evaluations right now. ;)

This would be something I also would really love to do.

three hog night

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 10, 2014, 11:36:36 am
Surprised at the number of former Petrino and Smith recruits still on the two deep on defense.  The offense has more of Beilema's players and that's understandable with the change in scheme.  However as much as Petrino's defense recruiting is dogged you would think it would have more turnover.

Why did you have to go there?
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Legball13

Need to move Korliss ahead of Collins! he wants it more!

Oklahawg

Quote from: Legball13 on August 10, 2014, 02:25:52 pm

Coach has referred to them, in no particular order, as 1A-1B-1C. List them alphabetically as first teamers.

You are seeing a lot of mind games with the coaches. Calling out players in practices and meetings and then mentioning them publicly. Hatcher is an example. Your top returning WR and what appears to be a leader in the locker room. He was singled out early in the week for not dropping a pass in consecutive practices. CBB leaked Saturday that Keon had been demoted prior to the start of drills. You'll note a strong response, as noted with early-week public comments and the 3-65 statline Saturday.

Mind games.

Protect the pups so they don't put too much pressure on themselves (Wallace, Ragnow, Jackson). Push the vets to step up (Hatcher, Hines).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

GuvHog

Quote from: The NewEra on August 10, 2014, 11:50:43 am
I certainly don't think I'm qualified to coach, at any level, or a great evaluator of talent.  My belief that Ragnow will start this year is based around three things.  1)  The incredible praise  he has received from the coaches 2) The fact that these coaches believe in starting freshmen if they are the best at any position 3) Using last year as the model, this staff would rather burn a redshirt and let a young man get playing time in the SEC than to hold on to that redshirt.  I believe this is because they fully intend to recruit someone better this year than the year before and the knowledge that we have a lot of ground to make up in order to have a starting lineup equal to that of the very best teams in the SEC.  I'm fully prepared to be wrong as it wouldn't be my first time by any means, but that's my reasoning.

As far as your first question, that wasn't anything I implied.  It does however appear the coaches believe there is something to be gained in burning those redshirts.  And again, I'll certainly respect their decisions over anyone outside of the program.  I will say that I don't think we lost any games last year because Kirkland and Skipper started.  I actually think we will win games this year that we may not have because they did start last year.  Once this program is built then we can worry about fifth year seniors.  As for now, I think the coaches are trying to put the best guys on the field regardless of seniority.

I think this is something you and I will just have to disagree on.

Both Chaney and CBB have said that Ragnow is way behind Smothers so I'd doubt that he'll be starting this season unless injuries dictate it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

How do you know he wants it more, have you talked to Collins?

onebadrubi

I wish we were in a position to RS ragnow and Wallace, I just think we are going to need one or maybe both in this year.  Albeit, things that I believe will be considered upon deciding a redshirt, is the kid behind with the play book, checks, and in play adjustments, also a huge factor how is their strength against the SEC DT's.  if they are behind on both then RS, maybe just one than they may push them through it.  Jefferson and tretola will play a huge deciding factor in RS'ing the younger guys. 

lefty08

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 10, 2014, 03:18:10 pm
I wish we were in a position to RS ragnow and Wallace, I just think we are going to need one or maybe both in this year.  Albeit, things that I believe will be considered upon deciding a redshirt, is the kid behind with the play book, checks, and in play adjustments, also a huge factor how is their strength against the SEC DT's.  if they are behind on both then RS, maybe just one than they may push them through it.  Jefferson and tretola will play a huge deciding factor in RS'ing the younger guys.

BB said today both will play
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

immahog

and you know this how?
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

lefty08

Theres a thread where rice pig put together what he said in the press conference
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Biggus Piggus

August 10, 2014, 03:33:22 pm #66 Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:09:08 pm by Biggus Piggus
DE Flowers, Beanum
DT Philon, Hodge
NG Johnson, Jackson
DE Wise, Winston -- Lewis is injured (knee)

WLB Spaight, Eugene
MLB Ellis, Peters
SLB Mitchell / Carr, Ramsey

CB Washington, Dean
S Turner, McKinney
S Gaines, Coley
CB Mitchel, Collins / Toliver
[CENSORED]!

Lake City Hog

Biggus, I agree with you everywhere except corner and DT.
Hines and Mitchel will be the 2 starters at least for the 1st couple of games. Hodge and Philon will start and Marks will be in the rotation.

I tend to agree with Okla on the rhetoric. Much of what the coaches are saying every day is motivation and mind games.

lefty08

Quote from: Lake City Hog on August 10, 2014, 03:41:59 pm
Biggus, I agree with you everywhere except corner and DT.
Hines and Mitchel will be the 2 starters at least for the 1st couple of games. Hodge and Philon will start and Marks will be in the rotation.

I tend to agree with Okla on the rhetoric. Much of what the coaches are saying every day is motivation and mind games.

Thats not his opinion, thats the depth chart....

Lake City Hog

Jefferson and Tretola should play, Jefferson is here for 1 season. If those 2 can at least provide solid depth we are much better off than rushing true freshmen into the fire.

Lake City Hog

Sorry, I missed the depth chart.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 10, 2014, 03:33:22 pm
DE Flowers, Beanum
DT Philon, Hodge
NG Johnson, Jackson
DE Wise, Lewis

WLB Spaight, Ramsey
MLB Ellis, Peters
SLB Mitchell, Carr

CB Washington, Mitchel
S Turner, McKinney
S Gaines, Coley / Liddell
CB Collins / Toliver
That first rotation for DT's sure looks interesting. Taiwan Johnson is listed at 255 lbs while Philon is listed at 287.

Meanwhile, the second rotation as Hodge at 300 and Jackson at 334.

I'm guessing the first rotation is more of a pass-rushing package while the second is a run-stopping package? Of course that's all probably subject to change, especially since Grady is moving to DT.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

jabohog

Quote from: Lake City Hog on August 10, 2014, 09:05:47 am
Why would we have arguably our 3 best linebackers stacked at the Middle spot? I do realize that Williams is very new, but if he is a legit 4.4 guy it would seem like he would be one of the OLB's needed to cover backs and TE's.

I still believe that about 80% of the post practice comments are essentially coach speak designed to prod certain players. I don' think that we will begin to see a "true" version of the depth chart until the week before the 1st game.
A legit 4.4 guy that is new and doesn't know the defensive assignments is only going to get to the wrong spot quicker.

Biggus Piggus

Got some things fixed in the depth chart.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

LB Josh Williams is a little overweight, didn't show up as fast as he needs to be because of that.
[CENSORED]!

lumphog

+1 Musk, you're doin a fine job

Biggus Piggus

I had wondered whether Robb Smith would lean toward quickness on the Dline, based on what he did at Rutgers. At the moment, he has the quickest guys starting at tackle and noseguard. Taiwan Johnson was promoted because he showed power and quickness in the scrimmage.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Bielema's comments about Mitch Smothers at center are very positive, nice to hear.
[CENSORED]!

Kevin

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 10, 2014, 04:16:50 pm
Bielema's comments about Mitch Smothers at center are very positive, nice to hear.

Yep, great to hear about smothers.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Biggus Piggus

August 10, 2014, 09:22:49 pm #79 Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:42:23 pm by Biggus Piggus
Let's put it all together, offense and defense.

X Wilson, Hollister, Edwards
Y Cornelius, Robinson
Z Morgan, Hatcher
TE Henry, Derby, Sprinkle

RT Cook, Wallace
RG Kirkland, Tretola
C Smothers, Charpentier, Ragnow
LG Charpentier, Jefferson
LT Skipper, Beck

QB B.Allen, A.Allen
TB Williams / Collins / Marshall
FB Walker, Arinze - by no means written in stone

DE Flowers, Beanum
DT Philon, Hodge
NG Johnson, Jackson

WLB Spaight, Eugene
MLB Ellis, Williams

CB Washington, Dean
S Turner, McKinney
S Gaines, Coley
[CENSORED]!

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 10, 2014, 03:46:16 pm
That first rotation for DT's sure looks interesting. Taiwan Johnson is listed at 255 lbs while Philon is listed at 287.

Meanwhile, the second rotation as Hodge at 300 and Jackson at 334.

I'm guessing the first rotation is more of a pass-rushing package while the second is a run-stopping package? Of course that's all probably subject to change, especially since Grady is moving to DT.
Johnson is definitely heavier than that listing of 255. After seeing him in person a few times recently I would say he is around 275. Also Jackson is down to around 320.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Tim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 10, 2014, 09:22:49 pm

Y Cornelius, Robinson
Z Morgan, Hatcher

RT Cook, Wallace
RG Kirkland, Tretola
LT Skipper, Tate

QB B.Allen, A.Allen

DE Flowers, Beanum
DT Philon, Hodge
NG Johnson, Jackson

WLB Spaight, Eugene
MLB Ellis, Peters

CB Washington, Dean
S Turner, McKinney
S Gaines, Coley

Based on the quotes I saw Mitchell just now got cleared for contact.  Right now it is Collins and Toliver 1A/1B.

Biggus Piggus

Nope. They restored Mitchel to first team. Straight from Bielema.

As for anyone surprised that Petrino players are still on the D: Just how fast are they supposed to turn over the roster? Sheesh.
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

If Taiwan Johnson is 275+, then that's fine. But he must maintain that weight or he will be too small for DT.

Recent photo of him:

Tim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 11, 2014, 09:01:53 am
Nope. They restored Mitchel to first team. Straight from Bielema.

As for anyone surprised that Petrino players are still on the D: Just how fast are they supposed to turn over the roster? Sheesh.

I just went back and watched again and you are right.  I thought they just said he was back but he is 1 and the others are behind him.

Uncommon

August 11, 2014, 10:09:26 am #85 Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:23:27 pm by Uncommon
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 11, 2014, 09:01:53 am
Correct.  Out of the 82 that are on scholarship now, 47 are Bielema players and 35 are Petrino players.

2014 Arkansas Razorbacks
Petrino Players
7 Redshirt Seniors
52 LB Daunte Carr
75 OL Luke Charpentier
43 K John Henson
34 LB Braylon Mitchell
70 OL Chris Stringer
27 DB Alan Turner
85 WR Demetrius Wilson

4 Seniors
74 OL Brey Cook
82 SNP Allan D'Appollonio
86 DL Trey Flowers
23 DB Tevin Mitchel

11 Redshirt Juniors
10 QB Brandon Allen
68 OL Austin Beck
59 OL Marcus Danenhauer
26 DB Rohan Gaines
93 DL DeMarcus Hodge
89 DL Mitchell Loewen
13 DB Davyon McKinney
50 DL Grady Ollison
65 OL Mitch Smothers
46 TE Alex Voelzke
24 FB Kody Walker

3 Juniors
4 WR Keon Hatcher
9 DB Will Hines
32 RB Jonathan Williams

10 Redshirt Sophomores
69 DL Cordale Boyd
29 DB Jared Collins
14 WR Eric Hawkins
94 DL Taiwan Johnson
99 DL Brandon Lewis
91 DL Darius Philon
83 TE Jeremy Sprinkle
73 DL Jeremy Ward
6 DL JaMichael Winston
48 DL Deatrich Wise Jr.

Bielema Players
4 Redshirt Seniors
40 FB Patrick Arinze
11 TE AJ Derby
79 OL Cameron Jefferson
67 OL Johnathan McClure

4 Seniors
7 LB Tiquention Coleman
92 P Sam Irwin-Hill
47 LB Martrell Spaight
21 DB Carroll Washington

1 Junior
73 OL Sebastian Tretola

1 Redshirt Sophomore
81 WR Cody Hollister

9 Sophomores
3 RB Alex Collins
2 DB DJ Dean
51 LB Brooks Ellis
84 TE Hunter Henry
55 OL Denver Kirkland
33 RB Korliss Marshall
80 WR Drew Morgan
76 OL Dan Skipper
42 LB Josh Williams

7 Redshirt Freshmen
8 QB Austin Allen
97 DL Tevin Beanum
20 DB De'Andre Coley
25 RB Denzell Evans
54 OL Reeve Koehler
90 DL Ke'Tyrus Marks
7 WR Damon Mitchell

21 Freshmen
53 DL Anthony Brown
45 FB Tyler Colquitt
1 WR Jared Cornelius
39 RB Juan Day
87 WR Kendrick Edwards
35 LB Dwayne Eugene
16 DB Cornelius Floyd
44 LB Khalia Hackett
95 DL Jake Hall
98 K Cole Hedlund
78 DL Bijhon Jackson
36 TE Jack Kraus
28 DB Josh Liddell
9 QB Rafe Peavey
72 OL Frank Ragnow
18 DB Santos Ramirez
11 LB Randy Ramsey
17 WR Jojo Robinson
15 DB Henre' Toliver
60 OL Brian Wallace
49 DL Armon Watts

2014 - 47 Bielema Players and 35 Petrino Players ; 57.32% Bielema 42.68% Petrino
2015 - 58 Bielema Players and 24 Petrino Players ; 70.73% Bielema 29.27% Petrino
2016 - 72 Bielema Players and 10 Petrino Players ; 87.80% Bielema 12.20% Petrino
2017 - 82 Bielema Players and 0 Petrino Players   ; 100.00% Bielema

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 10, 2014, 09:22:49 pm

Y Cornelius, Robinson
Z Morgan, Hatcher

RT Cook, Wallace
RG Kirkland, Tretola
LT Skipper, Tate

QB B.Allen, A.Allen

DE Flowers, Beanum
DT Philon, Hodge
NG Johnson, Jackson

WLB Spaight, Eugene
MLB Ellis, Peters

CB Washington, Dean
S Turner, McKinney
S Gaines, Coley
I assume you meant Beck instead of Tate for LT!

Josh Goforth

The Peters transfer will clear up the middle spot. My thinking is that williams will be the mike on 1,2nd downs with Ellis at the Will, then move inside on 3rd down and bring in Spaight, TQ or Eugene depending on offensive person.ell.

Lake City Hog

Biggus, I think that the reference was that the perception is that Petrino didn't recruit very well at all defensively yet a higher percentage of defensive players are Petrino recruits than on offense.

If you think about it that does seem a bit odd. At first glance you would think just the opposite.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Lake City Hog on August 11, 2014, 07:09:23 pm
Biggus, I think that the reference was that the perception is that Petrino didn't recruit very well at all defensively yet a higher percentage of defensive players are Petrino recruits than on offense.

If you think about it that does seem a bit odd. At first glance you would think just the opposite.

Correct,  sometimes oddities strike me that maybe don't strike others the same way.  If I post a thought like that, that's all it is.

Uncommon

August 11, 2014, 07:40:24 pm #90 Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:54:38 pm by Uncommon

Correct in that he left more defensive players than offensive players.  He left us a lot of defensive linemen.

Petrino left 35 scholarship players.

14 on Offense (1 QB, 1 RB, 1 FB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 6 OL)

4 WR Keon Hatcher
10 QB Brandon Allen
14 WR Eric Hawkins
24 FB Kody Walker
32 RB Jonathan Williams
46 TE Alex Voelzke
59 OL Marcus Danenhauer
65 OL Mitch Smothers
68 OL Austin Beck
70 OL Chris Stringer
74 OL Brey Cook
75 OL Luke Charpentier
83 TE Jeremy Sprinkle
85 WR Demetrius Wilson

19 on Defense (11 DL, 2 LB, 6 DB)

6 DL JaMichael Winston
9 DB Will Hines
13 DB Davyon McKinney
23 DB Tevin Mitchel
26 DB Rohan Gaines
27 DB Alan Turner
29 DB Jared Collins
34 LB Braylon Mitchell
48 DL Deatrich Wise Jr.
50 DL Grady Ollison
52 LB Daunte Carr
69 DL Cordale Boyd
73 DL Jeremy Ward
86 DL Trey Flowers
89 DL Mitchell Loewen
91 DL Darius Philon
93 DL DeMarcus Hodge
94 DL Taiwan Johnson
99 DL Brandon Lewis

2 on Special Teams (1 K, 1 SNP)

43 K John Henson

Theolesnort

Quote from: lefty08 on August 10, 2014, 03:23:43 pm
BB said today both will play
They might as well play this year because the chance either or both are here a 5TH year is little and none.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Uncommon on August 11, 2014, 07:40:24 pm
Correct in that he left more defensive players than offensive players.  He left us a lot of defensive linemen.

Petrino left 35 scholarship players.

14 on Offense (1 QB, 1 RB, 1 FB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 6 OL)

4 WR Keon Hatcher
10 QB Brandon Allen
14 WR Eric Hawkins
24 FB Kody Walker
32 RB Jonathan Williams
46 TE Alex Voelzke
59 OL Marcus Danenhauer
65 OL Mitch Smothers
68 OL Austin Beck
70 OL Chris Stringer
74 OL Brey Cook
75 OL Luke Charpentier
83 TE Jeremy Sprinkle
85 WR Demetrius Wilson

19 on Defense (11 DL, 2 LB, 6 DB)

6 DL JaMichael Winston
9 DB Will Hines
13 DB Davyon McKinney
23 DB Tevin Mitchel
26 DB Rohan Gaines
27 DB Alan Turner
29 DB Jared Collins
34 LB Braylon Mitchell
48 DL Deatrich Wise Jr.
50 DL Grady Ollison
52 LB Daunte Carr
69 DL Cordale Boyd
73 DL Jeremy Ward
86 DL Trey Flowers
89 DL Mitchell Loewen
91 DL Darius Philon
93 DL DeMarcus Hodge
94 DL Taiwan Johnson
99 DL Brandon Lewis

2 on Special Teams (1 K, 1 SNP)

43 K John Henson

He "left" more than that but some have since moved on.  Also in one of my earlier post in another thread I think I said previous coaches, I didn't specify Prtrino.  It is interesting to look at were the quality seems to be though.  I wonder if it speaks to failed coaching on the defensive side last year that might lead to a better than expected year this year with the revamped staff.

three hog night

Quote from: Uncommon on August 11, 2014, 10:09:26 am
Correct.  Out of the 82 that are on scholarship now, 47 are Bielema players and 35 are Petrino players.

2014 Arkansas Razorbacks
Petrino Players
7 Redshirt Seniors
52 LB Daunte Carr
75 OL Luke Charpentier
43 K John Henson
34 LB Braylon Mitchell
70 OL Chris Stringer
27 DB Alan Turner
85 WR Demetrius Wilson

4 Seniors
74 OL Brey Cook
86 DL Trey Flowers
23 DB Tevin Mitchel

11 Redshirt Juniors
10 QB Brandon Allen
68 OL Austin Beck
59 OL Marcus Danenhauer
26 DB Rohan Gaines
93 DL DeMarcus Hodge
89 DL Mitchell Loewen
13 DB Davyon McKinney
50 DL Grady Ollison
65 OL Mitch Smothers
46 TE Alex Voelzke
24 FB Kody Walker

3 Juniors
4 WR Keon Hatcher
9 DB Will Hines
32 RB Jonathan Williams

10 Redshirt Sophomores
69 DL Cordale Boyd
29 DB Jared Collins
14 WR Eric Hawkins
94 DL Taiwan Johnson
99 DL Brandon Lewis
91 DL Darius Philon
83 TE Jeremy Sprinkle
73 DL Jeremy Ward
6 DL JaMichael Winston
48 DL Deatrich Wise Jr.

Bielema Players
4 Redshirt Seniors
40 FB Patrick Arinze
11 TE AJ Derby
79 OL Cameron Jefferson
67 OL Johnathan McClure

4 Seniors
7 LB Tiquention Coleman
92 P Sam Irwin-Hill
47 LB Martrell Spaight
21 DB Carroll Washington

1 Junior
73 OL Sebastian Tretola

1 Redshirt Sophomore
81 WR Cody Hollister

9 Sophomores
3 RB Alex Collins
2 DB DJ Dean
51 LB Brooks Ellis
84 TE Hunter Henry
55 OL Denver Kirkland
33 RB Korliss Marshall
80 WR Drew Morgan
76 OL Dan Skipper
42 LB Josh Williams

7 Redshirt Freshmen
8 QB Austin Allen
97 DL Tevin Beanum
20 DB De'Andre Coley
25 RB Denzell Evans
54 OL Reeve Koehler
90 DL Ke'Tyrus Marks
7 WR Damon Mitchell

21 Freshmen
53 DL Anthony Brown
45 FB Tyler Colquitt
1 WR Jared Cornelius
39 RB Juan Day
87 WR Kendrick Edwards
35 LB Dwayne Eugene
16 DB Cornelius Floyd
44 LB Khalia Hackett
95 DL Jake Hall
98 K Cole Hedlund
78 DL Bijhon Jackson
36 TE Jack Kraus
28 DB Josh Liddell
9 QB Rafe Peavey
72 OL Frank Ragnow
18 DB Santos Ramirez
11 LB Randy Ramsey
17 WR Jojo Robinson
15 DB Henre' Toliver
60 OL Brian Wallace
49 DL Armon Watts

2014 - 47 Bielema Players and 35 Petrino Players ; 57.32% Bielema 42.68% Petrino
2015 - 58 Bielema Players and 24 Petrino Players ; 70.73% Bielema 29.27% Petrino
2016 - 72 Bielema Players and 10 Petrino Players ; 87.80% Bielema 12.20% Petrino
2017 - 82 Bielema Players and 0 Petrino Players   ; 100.00% Bielema

The numbers of players are there to see.  The issue is average quality of players left by Petrino compared to the new players.  There are some great players left from Petrino, but we also have some of his reaches and projects.   Thank goodness we have them and they are providing depth and quality play in some cases.   I just don't want us to emphasize the # of players without recognizing the quality.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on August 11, 2014, 11:14:06 am
I assume you meant Beck instead of Tate for LT!

Yup, brain fart no 12,613.
[CENSORED]!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: three hog night on August 12, 2014, 07:10:22 am
The numbers of players are there to see.  The issue is average quality of players left by Petrino compared to the new players.  There are some great players left from Petrino, but we also have some of his reaches and projects.   Thank goodness we have them and they are providing depth and quality play in some cases.   I just don't want us to emphasize the # of players without recognizing the quality.

Why would you want to emphasis quality of one group over the other when you have no facts or stats to back it up?  Seems a useless endeavor.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 12, 2014, 05:40:23 pm
Why would you want to emphasis quality of one group over the other when you have no facts or stats to back it up?  Seems a useless endeavor.

Nobody's going to spell it out for you, because we do not bash players here. Beyond not bashing players, we're not going to call out guys who might never play a down but have been working ever since they got on campus + are still on the team + love the Razorbacks.

If you want to be objective, you can divide the list between all-star candidates + other starters + reserves with a chance to start in the future + young players who can develop into starters in time + reserves who will remain reserves + players who will never be on the two-deep.

Some of us already have done that, and that's what we are talking about.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

It's mainly an issue of timing. The 2012 recruiting class was an attempt to catch up the talent level on defense. Arkansas signed 14 players for the defense. Two of the '12 signees on offense were moved to defense by Coach Bielema.

From the 2010 class, Julian Horton and Javontee Herndon, strangely, didn't ever redshirt. They should be seniors. The 2010 class also was an attempted catchup group for defense. They only signed 10 players for the offense. Of those, Braylon Mitchell got a brief look then moved to defense. Luke Charpentier is the only other one still on the team. Defense didn't do a lot better. Other survivors from 2010 are Daunte Carr and Alan Turner. Not much of a redshirt program.

The 2011 survivors on offense: Brandon Allen, Kody Walker, Brey Cook, Mitch Smothers, Austin Beck, Marcus Danenhauer, Chris Stringer.

On defense: Sleepy McKinney, Grady Ollison, DeMarcus Hodge, Trey Flowers, Rohan Gaines, Tevin Mitchel.

From 2012 on offense: Jonathan Williams, Keon Hatcher, Eric Hawkins, Demetrius Wilson, Jeremy Sprinkle.

On defense: Cordale Boyd, Deatrich Wise, Taiwan Johnson, Darius Philon, Jamichael Winston, Brandon Lewis, Will Hines, Jared Collins.

Uncertain status: Jeremy Ward (coming off surgery).
[CENSORED]!