Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Depth Chart Right Now

Started by Josh Goforth, August 08, 2014, 11:07:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Goforth

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

hawgaddict

I think it will be hard to hold off C. Jefferson at LG and I also think the C position is so hard under our style of play and everything he will be asked to do I don't think Ragnow will start at Auburn. I would not be surprised at all if he or Tretola earn the starting C job half way into the season. And I know this will not be a popular opinion on here, and again this is just my opinion, but I don't see D. Morgan holding off J. Cornelius and Jojo. He might start, but it will be hard to keep those two freshmen off the field since they come in and easily become two of our most explosive players on the team.

Josh Goforth

Looks like Morgan will be in the lineup. Can always use a guy in the slot who can pick up that 3rd and 5+ in the air.

immahog

I like the depth there.....but what about the D...thats what I wanna see
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Josh Goforth

August 09, 2014, 09:09:52 am #5 Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:10:12 pm by jg8417
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 08, 2014, 11:10:59 pm
Is there a D chart?

The D coaches are less talkative about who is where in the the depth chart right now. The boundary corner spot and the Weakside lb will be the most competitive battle.
http://hogxando.blogspot.com/2014/08/week-1-fall-camp-depth-chart.html

lefty08

i must have missed something.......i thought Arkadie had left the team
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

TheRazorback500

Quote from: lefty08 on August 09, 2014, 09:17:25 am
I think you're correct-he's not listed on the official roster..
Do you wanna get Rocked?

MH04

Also Coley is working FS behind Gaines

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lefty08 on August 09, 2014, 09:17:25 am

Transferred to Eastern Illinois in June.

http://jg-tc.com/sports/football/eiu-adds-two-to-defensive-line/article_bcb046b0-283d-5d2f-8e7a-25118a619940.html

"Eastern Illinois football has bolstered its depth on the defensive line as head coach Kim Dameron has announced the addition of two players for the 2014 season.  Joining the Panthers roster are Horace Arkadie, a transfer from Arkansas".

Go Hogs Go!

BPsTheMan

hopefully Arkadie can make it to XNA from Eastern Illinois in time to leave for the Auburn game

nice link

LOL

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on August 09, 2014, 09:23:49 am
I think you're correct-he's not listed on the official roster..

I think that C. Boyd, T. Johnson or even K. Marks might be landing in that two deep rotation at one DT this season. We will see which one rises to the challenge.
Go Hogs Go!

GalaHawg

You can replace Arkadie with KT Marks and Cordale Boyd... Also, Taiwan Johnson is a full time DT now - he is a role player in passing downs.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 09, 2014, 09:49:07 am
I think that C. Boyd, T. Johnson or even K. Marks might be landing in that two deep rotation at one DT this season. We will see which one rises to the challenge.

Mitch Loewen will be a tweener there too, travel squad for mainly special teams, but a go to in an emergency

BPsTheMan

don't think player's weights have been updated on the listed roster - one report for instance said our deep snapper is at 248, up from the listed 238

I'd imagine Taiwan Johnson is much heavier than listed

Oklahawg

Yeah, the defensive depth chart has more issues than the offensive. Close on offense, it appears.

Hard to extrapolate a depth chart with coaches mentioning players in lists.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Paul

Quote from: hawgaddict on August 08, 2014, 11:19:20 pm
I think it will be hard to hold off C. Jefferson at LG and I also think the C position is so hard under our style of play and everything he will be asked to do I don't think Ragnow will start at Auburn. I would not be surprised at all if he or Tretola earn the starting C job half way into the season. And I know this will not be a popular opinion on here, and again this is just my opinion, but I don't see D. Morgan holding off J. Cornelius and Jojo. He might start, but it will be hard to keep those two freshmen off the field since they come in and easily become two of our most explosive players on the team.
I agree with you. Defensive depth chart is more solid than in recent memory. Esp back 7

Josh Goforth

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 09, 2014, 09:47:20 am
hopefully Arkadie can make it to XNA from Eastern Illinois in time to leave for the Auburn game

nice link

LOL
good catch, find any others?

immahog

we are very thin at DT ....not much depth ...I hope to god we stay injury free
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

BPsTheMan

Quote from: jg8417 on August 09, 2014, 11:07:25 am
good catch, find any others?

none

and good find on the Tulsa playbook

GuvHog

Don't underestimate Mitch Smothers ability at Center.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HometownHawg

Morgan is easily one of if not the best most consistent WR we have. He has shown out during practice and apparently had a great scrimmage as well.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HometownHawg on August 09, 2014, 12:16:53 pm
Morgan is easily one of if not the best most consistent WR we have. He has shown out during practice and apparently had a great scrimmage as well.

Today is the first scrimmage of the 2014 training camp season. Which scrimmage are you speaking of?
Go Hogs Go!

Theolesnort

The problem with your kind of thinking is you are going on pure talent. In the SEC swift wideouts have to be good at not being jammed at the line of scrimmage by some really physical cb as well as physical play down the field which the SEC allows. Ironically the same kind of problem Morgan had last season but now he has now learned to be more physical. It is a rare freshmen at wideout that has the talent, smarts and skills to be ready to play in the first year.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

HometownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 09, 2014, 12:32:09 pm
Today is the first scrimmage of the 2014 training camp season. Which scrimmage are you speaking of?
I am talking about this scrimmage I said apparently because of the stats were tweeted.

Paul

Morgan seems like a great kid but he didn't catch a pass in a game.  I hope he has a great year.

Bubba's Bruisers

So no Wallace in the 2 deep.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

lefty08

is it really that unusual for a freshman to not make a catch his freshman year? i didnt think so, so why then does everyone feel the need to bring that up when talking about a great scrimmage the kid had? it is what it is, hogvillians are acting like we havent won for a decade, its weird
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 09, 2014, 08:17:24 pm
IMO he could move past Beck in a week or so. I thought I'd heard a while back he was working at LT.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 09, 2014, 08:17:24 pm
Yet. The RT spot seems to be pretty solid for now. No way someone is beating out Brey Cook and Grady has the #2 spot as of now. My guess is that if Wallace doesn't beat out Grady for that #2 spot, they redshirt him. Grady is a junior right now.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

hawgaddict

Quote from: Theolesnort on August 09, 2014, 12:34:36 pm
The problem with your kind of thinking is you are going on pure talent. In the SEC swift wideouts have to be good at not being jammed at the line of scrimmage by some really physical cb as well as physical play down the field which the SEC allows. Ironically the same kind of problem Morgan had last season but now he has now learned to be more physical. It is a rare freshmen at wideout that has the talent, smarts and skills to be ready to play in the first year.

It looks like I might have spoken to early about Morgan. Sounds like he is having a heck of a camp and I am pulling for the guy. But "my kind of thinking" is we are missing that explosive WR that can catch a quick slant, break a tackle, and take it 60. The last few years we have struggled with that and I didn't think and still don't think Drew is the guy that can do that. I think the two freshman also playing slot have that ability but, if what your saying is true and they cannot get off the LOS while being pressed and Morgan can, he will certainly have the upper hand. Maybe the two freshman are a year away under a full offseason with Coach Herb but I still think they will surprise some folks once they get more comfortable with the offense with there minds clear and they will be able to play a lot faster. Im looking forward to watch it play out and, whoever is playing, I just hope our WR's are much improved from last year.

tophawg19

D WILSON  can take it the distance on any play . and he is back healthy . i look for us to use at least 8 wr's as the season goes on . The two deep on this team is very good . it's when we go into the 3 deep that i worry . injuries could really hurt us this year
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Theolesnort

Even Adams and Wright got knocked around their freshmen seasons. Normally they would not have played as much as they did because against some teams they had a problem getting off the line cleanly. What the SEC refs allowed Bama to do against them was almost criminal but they got away with it and prospered. Last season Morgan did not see the field all that much just because of that problem of getting off the line cleanly. He did improve as the year went on but Allen was hurt and very myopic in who he was going to throw the ball to. Even the effort to do that was hard.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

hawgaddict

Quote from: Theolesnort on August 09, 2014, 09:16:22 pm
Even Adams and Wright got knocked around their freshmen seasons. Normally they would not have played as much as they did because against some teams they had a problem getting off the line cleanly. What the SEC refs allowed Bama to do against them was almost criminal but they got away with it and prospered. Last season Morgan did not see the field all that much just because of that problem of getting off the line cleanly. He did improve as the year went on but Allen was hurt and very myopic in who he was going to throw the ball to. Even the effort to do that was hard.

I agree 100%. If you cannot get off the line against our secondary, you certainly will not against the LSUs and BAMAs. I am excited about the news coming out on some WR's stepping up, but I'm quick to get my hopes up as I heard the same last year. It sounds like they put a lot of work in during the offseason and I am hoping it pays off for them game 1 at the defending SEC Champs house! Go HOGS!!

lefty08

Im questioning the reliability of this depth chart, especially the defensive side.

RedRazorback15

What position(s) do you guys believe has the least amount of depth? e.g. positon(s) you are least confident about.

Lake City Hog

How many of you think that the coaches are dissing Hines because they know that he is one of the guys that they really need?

tophawg19

i really like this 2 deep . it's the depth after that where i worry a bit .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: immahog on August 09, 2014, 11:31:06 am
we are very thin at DT ....not much depth ...I hope to god we stay injury free

Here's the list of D-Linemen according to ESPN. According to this list, 16 players, 13 of which are underclassmen. We have depth, we are just really young.

48   Deatrich Wise Jr.               DE   6-6   272   SO   Carrollton, TX
49   Armon Watts                    DT   6-5   288   FR   Saint Louis, MO
53   Anthony Brown                 DE   6-4   221   FR   Miami, FL
69   Cordale Boyd                    DL   6-3   295   SO   Memphis, TN
73   Jeremy Ward                    DL   6-4   288   SO   Pottsville, AR
78   Bijhon Jackson                  DT   6-2   334   FR   El Dorado, AR
86   Trey Flowers                    DE   6-4   268   SR   Huntsville, AL
89   Mitchell Loewen                DL   6-4   282   JR   Lahaina, HI
90   Ke'Tyrus Marks                 DT   6-2   303   FR   West Palm Beach, FL
91   Darius Philon                    DT   6-3   287   SO   Mobile, AL
93   DeMarcus Hodge               DT   6-1   330   JR   Monroe, LA
94   Taiwan Johnson                DT   6-3   255   SO   Manvel, TX
95   Jake Hall                          DE   6-5   250   FR   Springdale, AR
96   Karl Roesler                      DL   6-3   250   FR   Louisville, KY
97   Tevin Beanum                   DE   6-5   265   FR   Forrest City, AR
99   Brandon Lewis                  DE   6-5   258   SO   Memphis, TN
Go Hogs Go!

Josh Goforth

Quote from: lefty08 on August 10, 2014, 07:28:08 am
Im questioning the reliability of this depth chart, especially the defensive side.

Well question away, it is just what I have put together from post practice comments as it clearly says. Which spots on D do you think are off?

Lake City Hog

Why would we have arguably our 3 best linebackers stacked at the Middle spot? I do realize that Williams is very new, but if he is a legit 4.4 guy it would seem like he would be one of the OLB's needed to cover backs and TE's.

I still believe that about 80% of the post practice comments are essentially coach speak designed to prod certain players. I don' think that we will begin to see a "true" version of the depth chart until the week before the 1st game.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Lake City Hog on August 10, 2014, 09:05:47 am
Why would we have arguably our 3 best linebackers stacked at the Middle spot? I do realize that Williams is very new, but if he is a legit 4.4 guy it would seem like he would be one of the OLB's needed to cover backs and TE's.

I still believe that about 80% of the post practice comments are essentially coach speak designed to prod certain players. I don' think that we will begin to see a "true" version of the depth chart until the week before the 1st game.

I think that we will see some moves up and some down, after this scrimmage yesterday. There is always some game-playing going on that is designed to provide greater motivation for some specific players that require that kind of motivation, but some moves are simply because some players are showing what they are capable of doing. It is difficult to know which is which unless you are on staff. But I would suggest that you will see a more true depth chart taking shape by the 18th of this month when they begin to prepare for Auburn in earnest.
Go Hogs Go!

three hog night

Ragnow has great size, strength and speed.  He is struggling a little but he has been given a chance to see if he can play at the spot we need help.  I would like to see him get some more snaps and data points to make a decision about the center spot.

If Ragnow is not capable of being a solid 2nd string guy this, I would like to see Smothers JR and Charpentier SR at 1 and 2 for the Center.  Let Ragnow practice but position himself for RS if not needed.

We are going to lose Cook, Charpentier, and McClure after this season.  We need to look at the class sequence.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

three hog night

Quote from: three hog night on August 10, 2014, 09:27:59 am
Ragnow has great size, strength and speed.  He is struggling a little but he has been given a chance to see if he can play at the spot we need help.  I would like to see him get some more snaps and data points to make a decision about the center spot.

If Ragnow is not capable of being a solid 2nd string guy this, I would like to see Smothers JR and Charpentier SR at 1 and 2 for the Center.  Let Ragnow practice but position himself for RS if not needed.

We are going to lose Cook, Charpentier, and McClure after this season.  We need to look at the class sequence.

A few changes.  We are going to lose (4) Cook, Jefferson, Charpentier, and McClure after this season.

Our class sequence of this year's Juniors has to be considered:
Ollison, Tretola, Smothers, Beck, and Danenhauer.  We will be replacing a lot of next this year's Juniors/Year's Seniors (5)
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

The NewEra

I don't agree with your wording when you say Ragnow is struggling.  It's only his sixth day of practice and he's now working with the 2's.  I call that progress for a freshman who hasn't even been on campus very long.  Chaney, Pittman and Bielema are raving about him and his progress to date.

Lake City Hog

But, why waste a year of eligibility on a guy playing a new position? Give Ragnow the benefit of a redshirt season and what could he be for us as a 5th year senior? Another Swanson? Maybe even better?

Instead of writing kids off that don't start as Freshmen or Sophomores we should be glad that we may have some kids that will be very good as 4th year juniors and 5th year seniors.

three hog night

Quote from: The NewEra on August 10, 2014, 09:43:48 am
I don't agree with your wording when you say Ragnow is struggling.  It's only his sixth day of practice and he's now working with the 2's.  I call that progress for a freshman who hasn't even been on campus very long.  Chaney, Pittman and Bielema are raving about him and his progress to date.

Let's read what I said, "Ragnow has great size, strength and speed.  He is struggling a little but he has been given a chance to see if he can play at the spot we need help.  I would like to see him get some more snaps and data points to make a decision about the center spot."

I said he is struggling a little.  I clearly state we need him to get more data points to make a decision, thus we don't have enough now.  I do understand your point and agree he is going to be a great one.  I just don't want to throw another true  FR to the wolves like we did Kirkland and Skipper last year. ...unless we have to.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: three hog night on August 10, 2014, 09:33:28 am
A few changes.  We are going to lose (4) Cook, Jefferson, Charpentier, and McClure after this season.

Our class sequence of this year's Juniors has to be considered:
Ollison, Tretola, Smothers, Beck, and Danenhauer.  We will be replacing a lot of next this year's Juniors/Year's Seniors (5)

ESPN Roster, if this helps sort things out.

50   Grady Ollison                      OT   6-5   293   JR   Malvern, AR
54   Reeve Koehler                     G    6-4   331   FR   Kailua, HI
55   Denver Kirkland                   OL   6-5   330   SO   Miami, FL
59   Marcus Danenhauer              G    6-5   315   JR   Bentonville, AR
60   Brian Wallace                      OT  6-6   315   FR   Florissant, MO
62   Johnny Gibson                     OL   6-5   315   FR   Dumas, AR
65   Mitch Smothers                    C    6-4   320   JR   Springdale, AR
66   Adam Deacon                       G    6-1   320   JR   Little Rock, AR
67   Johnathan McClure                G    6-4   330   SR   Wichita, KS
68   Austin Beck                         OT   6-7   305   JR   Nowata, OK
70   Chris Stringer                      OT   6-7   331   SR   Rancho Cucamonga, CA
71   Jackson Hannah                   OL   6-2   301   FR   Bentonville, AR
72   Frank Ragnow                      C    6-6   292   FR   Chanhassen, MN
73   Sebastian Tretola                 OT   6-5   315   JR   San Bernardino, CA
74   Brey Cook                            G   6-7   322   SR   Springdale, AR
75   Luke Charpentier                   C   6-4   310   SR   Cut Off, LA
76   Dan Skipper                         OT  6-10  316   SO   Arvada, CO
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: three hog night on August 10, 2014, 09:53:33 am
Let's read what I said, "Ragnow has great size, strength and speed.  He is struggling a little but he has been given a chance to see if he can play at the spot we need help.  I would like to see him get some more snaps and data points to make a decision about the center spot."

I said he is struggling a little.  I clearly state we need him to get more data points to make a decision, thus we don't have enough now.  I do understand your point and agree he is going to be a great one.  I just don't want to throw another true  FR to the wolves like we did Kirkland and Skipper last year. ...unless we have to.

Well get ready, we are building for the future and I think that this staff won't hesitate to insert freshmen in certain positions where they feel that can contribute and learn, right away. I think that they want to build a strong RS program, but they also know that they have to get kids developed quicker than normal at this point to help them win.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 10, 2014, 10:15:40 am
Well get ready, we are building for the future and I think that this staff won't hesitate to insert freshmen in certain positions where they feel that can contribute and learn, right away. I think that they want to build a strong RS program, but they also know that they have to get kids developed quicker than normal at this point to help them win.

To your point, I for one would be willing to make a small wager we see Ragnow as a starter at the center position no later than mid year.  I believe I heard or read that Ragnow spent the entire time from signing day until he reported learning all of the blocking schemes of the O-line playbook in order to expedite his ability to play at center.