Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Landon Simpson Gone

Started by WilsonHog, August 08, 2014, 10:52:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

@wholehogsports: "Pitcher Landon Simpson is transferring to Southern Arkansas after 3 years with the Razorbacks." http://t.co/pX2AQ9WUTR http://t.co/Cpx1DPBrM7

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 08, 2014, 10:52:06 am
@wholehogsports: "Pitcher Landon Simpson is transferring to Southern Arkansas after 3 years with the Razorbacks." http://t.co/pX2AQ9WUTR http://t.co/Cpx1DPBrM7

I expected this, my son's team played against him in travel/showcase ball when he was a Jr, good, but not SEC dominating good. Then you throw in tearing up his knee in football, and I think it put him behind. Good luck at SAU and thanks for your time as a Hog.

accdnhog

Pulling his money may have factored into the decision. Other surprises are on the horizon.

hawgcraZ

Hope not too many surprises.  I wouldn't count Simpson as a surprise after last season.  Would also not be too shocked to see names like Rucker, Alberius, etc. here in the near future.

hawgcraZ

Pure speculation on my part obviously but you cant blame the guys for wanting to play more.

Baseball Hog

Not really a surprise at all.  It's a numbers game.  A 3.55 ERA as a 3rd year guy isn't going to win you a roster spot (let alone scholly) after the class we pulled.

dbbb

Heard Matt Brown was transferring ?

jry04

I think Alberius will be good, so I hope he isn't a name we hear.

Scott7703

Quote from: jry04 on August 10, 2014, 10:14:41 am

I like Alberius but have a hard time seeing where he fits in.

I won't be shocked if matt brown leaves. He never sniffed the field this last year and hasn't performed this summer. I'm sure he'll want to find playing time some where.

accdnhog

Quote from: dbbb on August 10, 2014, 07:03:16 am
Heard Matt Brown was transferring ?
Matt was told that he would not be getting any AB's during the fall.  Kind of a underhanded way of saying we will not need your services this year.

Scott7703

Quote from: accdnhog on August 10, 2014, 12:58:45 pm
Matt was told that he would not be getting any AB's during the fall.  Kind of a underhanded way of saying we will not need your services this year.

That makes no sense. That's when guys like brown get a chance to prove themselves.

ricepig

Quote from: accdnhog on August 10, 2014, 12:58:45 pm

Maybe they had seen all they needed to last year.

Sueie

Quote from: jry04 on August 10, 2014, 10:14:41 am

I think his problem is the same as Bax and Rucker.  Just not enough playing time if this class is going to be as good as they say it is.

He cannot sit here another year as a Junior if he isn't going to play that much.  I know it a Sophomore as far as eligibility.  If it was me I would go somewhere to play this year and try to be drafted.

For those that say it can't be done.  Harlan Richter, Mark Reyes, Hunter Wood to name just a few. 

Regardless though I hope they all get drafted.  Good kids.

dbbb

Sueie.....you were the one that said Matt Brown was a great player....looks like you lost some credibility on this board.

How is your son Chris doing with the Phillies...we are sure going to miss having him and Beeks in next years' oration.

Sueie

He is doing ok I guess. Supposed to be home end of the month. Then back to Florida for a while. Enjoying getting paid to play now but the bus rides are not to enjoyable.  You hearing anything about Shaddy staying or leaving?

ucahogfan

Quote from: Sueie on August 10, 2014, 04:03:11 pm
I think his problem is the same as Bax and Rucker.  Just not enough playing time if this class is going to be as good as they say it is.
Come on Sueie, don't put Bax into the same category as Alberius and Rucker.  Sure Bax had a little trouble breaking into the lineup early last year, but when he finally did full-time, he was one of our best hitters.  It was a shame he went down with an injury against Ole Miss.  He can flat out hit like many of the incoming players and most posters and I would think DVH see him being a middle of the order type bat, but will probably be the DH.

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 12, 2014, 03:56:28 pm
Come on Sueie, don't put Bax into the same category as Alberius and Rucker.  Sure Bax had a little trouble breaking into the lineup early last year, but when he finally did full-time, he was one of our best hitters.  It was a shame he went down with an injury against Ole Miss.  He can flat out hit like many of the incoming players and most posters and I would think DVH see him being a middle of the order type bat, but will probably be the DH.
Yeah I think Bax can hit .320 with 10 hrs if healthy.  His bat is very draftable but doesn't have a position.  If he has a good year do you see him getting drafted high enough to be gone?

BigSexyHog

So wait,,,,,,, Matt Brown isn't even gonna get a chance in the fall? 
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

dbbb

Matt Brown signed with JeffCo today

Also heard after having a horrific summer that 1B signee Colin Gassway is no longer going to be a Razorback

ricepig

Numbers working themselves out.........

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ricepig on August 12, 2014, 09:19:18 pm
Always do.

Who's next?

ucahogfan

Quote from: bulldog04 on August 12, 2014, 06:43:01 pm
Yeah I think Bax can hit .320 with 10 hrs if healthy.  His bat is very draftable but doesn't have a position.  If he has a good year do you see him getting drafted high enough to be gone?
He was a top 7-8 round type prospect out of high school because of his bat playing behind the plate.  I think if he shows he can catch at the next level then he will be a very high draft pick because it is rare to find someone with his bat who can stick behind the plate at the next level.  I just think he will have a hard time beating out Rodriguez behind the plate though.

accdnhog

Quote from: ricepig on August 12, 2014, 09:19:18 pm
The number don't exactly work themselves out; they are manipulated via the coaching staff.  Sometimes, almost until the day school begins.  For instance, a young man who was supposed to report for the fall last year was told to not report one week before school started.  Now, this is after he had already been in town for some period of time, registered for classes, signed an apartment lease for 6 months, etc. He ended up attending another division 1 school in the state to play baseball and was in the top 20 nationally for rbi"s.

Kevin

Quote from: accdnhog on August 13, 2014, 06:07:48 am
The number don't exactly work themselves out; they are manipulated via the coaching staff.  Sometimes, almost until the day school begins.  For instance, a young man who was supposed to report for the fall last year was told to not report one week before school started.  Now, this is after he had already been in town for some period of time, registered for classes, signed an apartment lease for 6 months, etc. He ended up attending another division 1 school in the state to play baseball and was in the top 20 nationally for rbi"s.

is that any different than a player calling a coach up one week before classes, i tell them he is going juco.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawgcraZ

Too much crying from friends and family members on this board on this issue.  Blame the scholarship system not the coaches.  Nature of big time college baseball until the scholarship limit gets raised.

ricepig

Not the first, and won't be the last kid. We had plenty of first baseman, and I think it worked out for him and the redwolves.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on August 13, 2014, 08:40:28 am
is that any different than a player calling a coach up one week before classes, i tell them he is going juco.
To add on to what you're saying - is it any different than a player who was drafted have a certain number he has thrown out to make him sign and then sign for about half of it?

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on August 13, 2014, 09:37:35 am
Not the first, and won't be the last kid. We had plenty of first baseman, and I think it worked out for him and the redwolves.
Yep, and it's not like the player we had a 1B wasn't an All-SEC player this year.

Yeah, it sucks for a kid to be told there isn't room for him, but that is the nature of the beast that is SEC Baseball.  With the draft and scholarship limitations, this type of thing happens at most schools who care about college baseball on an annual basis.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 13, 2014, 09:46:55 am
Yep, and it's not like the player we had a 1B wasn't an All-SEC player this year.

Yeah, it sucks for a kid to be told there isn't room for him, but that is the nature of the beast that is SEC Baseball.  With the draft and scholarship limitations, this type of thing happens at most schools who care about college baseball on an annual basis.

Speaking of SEC baseball, have you seen the concept pics of MSU's stadium update? They are raising the bar pretty high, I think I read where it's a $40mil upgrade.

accdnhog

Quote from: hawgcraZ on August 13, 2014, 09:15:20 am
Too much crying from friends and family members on this board on this issue.  Blame the scholarship system not the coaches.  Nature of big time college baseball until the scholarship limit gets raised.
Matt did not factor into the scholarship equation.  The point is that if you invite a kid as a walk-on, at least give him a chance to compete before you pull the rug out from under him.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on August 13, 2014, 09:51:01 am
Speaking of SEC baseball, have you seen the concept pics of MSU's stadium update? They are raising the bar pretty high, I think I read where it's a $40mil upgrade.
Yep.  Those renderings they put out looked pretty sweet.  Bama is currently in the middle of a 30M upgrade to their stadium while MSU will undergo a 40M renovation.  We also just opened about a 10M indoor facility for our players which would be more appealing to me than a 40M reno that adds some nice facilities for players, but is more for fans.

The LF Lofts are a really cool idea because it allows for a unique experience like MSU already has with their LF Lounge, but we will still be the first collegiate program with luxury boxes in the OF.

One thing I don't understand is that they are going to spend 40M on renovations, but coaches' offices aren't in the plan right now.  Why wouldn't the coaches have their offices in the stadium?  I don't know the layout of the MSU facilities, but is the baseball stadium right there with the other facilities?

What are your thoughts?

Sueie

Luxury boxes in the outfield are for old women that want to talk about their gardens in the Spring. 
Cannot figure why anyone would pay EXTRA money to sit in the outfield.  Cannot understand why someone would pay EXTRA money to sit behind a glass during a football game either.
But it ain't my money.  I get the "Birdman" discount.  Some people understand what that means.  ;D

TikiHog

I'm behind glass for every home Football game and LOVING it...last Football game I went to up here was the Kentucky game that lasted 3 Q's because of rain and Lightning....would have loved to been behind glass that night

OnTheHillHogFan

It was actually a 12 month lease ;)
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

hawgcraZ

Think its time to start the "who has made it to campus" thread.  Based solely of twitter I have seen a few make it or will be here in a day or so.

Jonah Patten
Nathan Rodriguez
Kyle Pate
Keith Greisharber
Luke Bonfield
Keaton Mckinney

hawgcraZ

Per DVHs Ice Bucket Challenge video we see Spoon and Wernes.  Wernes being a slight surprise.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgcraZ on August 18, 2014, 03:49:41 pm
Per DVHs Ice Bucket Challenge video we see Spoon and Wernes.  Wernes being a slight surprise.

Yeah, I would have had him on my under list on returning, just due to the numbers.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hawgcraZ on August 18, 2014, 03:49:41 pm
Wernes isn't really a surprise returning to me.  He started about 55 games last year.  Sure, DVH isn't expecting him to start this year, but his defense for late game situations at the hot corner could be a real asset to this team.

mhuff

I know we had a great recruiting class. Did we get some bats that can help immediately? Thanks

lancer

Benninghoff and Spanberger are on campus as well.. I believe keith's last name is spelled Grieshaber.

ucahogfan

Pretty sure Ryan Fant is on campus as well.  We will need him and Pate to step up this year with our lack of experience from a LHP perspective.

ucahogfan

Quote from: mhuff on August 18, 2014, 04:44:54 pm
I know we had a great recruiting class. Did we get some bats that can help immediately? Thanks
Do you want to know about the OF from New Jersey who hit 6 HRs and hit over .400 in about 50-60 ABs in a collegiate summer league or the C from California who hit 3 HRs in a collegiate summer league and was named the starting C in the ASG in that league in California which included a couple of current Hogs?  Or do you want to know about the Hawaii 2B who went to JUCO in Texas and hit about .320 in the same league in California and was also named an All-Star?  Or do you want to know about the 3B from Little Rock who hit the only HR at the Area Code Games in 2013 and routinely hits for a high average and a lot of power at the high level tournaments he went too?  Or do you want to know the SS from Missouri who was the top prospect for soccer out of Missouri and was named the Gatorade State POTY?

That is only naming a couple of players who I think can make an immediate impact, but this class is loaded with talent at the plate.

civilHOG

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 18, 2014, 07:15:04 pm
Do you want to know about the OF from New Jersey who hit 6 HRs and hit over .400 in about 50-60 ABs in a collegiate summer league or the C from California who hit 3 HRs in a collegiate summer league and was named the starting C in the ASG in that league in California which included a couple of current Hogs?  Or do you want to know about the Hawaii 2B who went to JUCO in Texas and hit about .320 in the same league in California and was also named an All-Star?  Or do you want to know about the 3B from Little Rock who hit the only HR at the Area Code Games in 2013 and routinely hits for a high average and a lot of power at the high level tournaments he went too?  Or do you want to know the SS from Missouri who was the top prospect for soccer out of Missouri and was named the Gatorade State POTY?

That is only naming a couple of players who I think can make an immediate impact, but this class is loaded with talent at the plate.

Pretty intrigued to see how it's going to shake out. I'm excited nonetheless!

accdnhog

Don't hold your breath on Falwell returning.  Another big name that is in everybody's lineup may well not be there in the fall.  I'll keep you posted.

hawgcraZ

Falwell wouldnt make much sense with him being our only lefty with experience.

Scott7703

Quote from: accdnhog on August 20, 2014, 03:02:36 pm
Don't hold your breath on Falwell returning.  Another big name that is in everybody's lineup may well not be there in the fall.  I'll keep you posted.

Can't imagine who this could be. As long as Eagan, baxendale, mcafee and Benintendi return I'm good with whatever else might shake out.