Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs Offense Lacks Focus As Pads Come on

Started by Mike Irwin, August 07, 2014, 10:01:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

AYETTEVILLE--While Razorback defensive coaches were happy with Wednesday's first day in pads the same was not true on the other side of the ball.  "We were just sloppy everywhere," offensive coordinator Jim Chaney revealed. "It was like we put pads on, started playing and we forgot all the details of our assignments."

Since the defense had performed well on Wednesday it might be assumed that the offensive problems were related to that but offensive line coach Sam Pittman said the issues were self inflicted. "We have high expectations for our offense and very, very high expectations for our offensive line," Pittman declared. "If we don't go out there and dominate someone and get after somebody then we don't feel like it was very good and we didn't yesterday."
------------------
To read more and to read the video version of this story click on the link below:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/hogs-offense-lacks-focus-as-pads-come-on/25359/47BehXiY1UKdAoqv2uqiNQ

Squealers

It may be a very good time Mike to talk about tempered expectations. Our fan base must remember this is a rebuilding process.  I know, we have heard that ad nauseum over the past several years, but truly this is still a work in progress.

I am fearful that the rabid nature of our fringe fan's could influence the core base somewhat, and begin expecting things which can not be done at this stage in the process.

Why is it important that we have a measured expectation most may ask?  It effects the ability of coaches to focus on foundation building, it effects the recruiting process and it effects how we are viewed as a fan base....which then effects all the above exponentially. 

Given time, I feel we will have a very competitive team in the most competitive league in the NCAA.  In time.  Hopefully we all can wrap our heads around that and not explode at the neck when we start seeing "L's" this season.
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

RedRazorback15

Good point, Squealers.

Personally I am not too worried. First day in pads can create jitters. There are more practices to come. There is more time to focus and get ready. The coaches know and they'll do what they can to get the offense ready.

pheine78

7-5.  My hope and expectation.  As low as it is, should that be too much, many of you act as if it should.  7-5 guys, come on.
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

SoCal Hog

Just curious--are Coach Bielema's practices as fast paced they were under the previous staff?
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

7-5 may be a bit too high expectations.  The wildcard here is just how bad, overall, will the SEC teams we face be.  Maybe on average they fell a bit from last year. 

Tusks

or maybe its the old time football saying, since we're playing old time smash mouth football, early on the defense is always ahead of the offense.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Squealers on August 08, 2014, 09:26:28 am
Our fan base must remember this is a rebuilding process.  I know, we have heard that ad nauseum over the past several years, but truly this is still a work in progress.

I am fearful that the rabid nature of our fringe fan's could influence the core base somewhat, and begin expecting things which can not be done at this stage in the process.

Why is it important that we have a measured expectation most may ask?  It effects the ability of coaches to focus on foundation building, it effects the recruiting process and it effects how we are viewed as a fan base....which then effects all the above exponentially. 

Given time, I feel we will have a very competitive team in the most competitive league in the NCAA.  In time.  Hopefully we all can wrap our heads around that and not explode at the neck when we start seeing "L's" this season.

flawless wisdom on that one

RedRazorback15

Quote from: pheine78 on August 08, 2014, 05:55:26 pm
7-5.  My hope and expectation.  As low as it is, should that be too much, many of you act as if it should.  7-5 guys, come on.

If Ark wins 7 games and goes to a bowl game, I consider that a FANTASTICLY remarkable year. 6 wins gets us to bowl eligibility and I'd surely take that in a heartbeat.

chortle

It may be a very good time Mike to talk about tempered expectations. Our fan base must remember this is a rebuilding process.  I know, we have heard that ad nauseum over the past several years, but truly this is still a work in progress.

Last year more than tempered my expectations.

I don't EXPECT to win a game this year. If we do, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

SPAL

Very, very good point.

I'm in the 5 or 6 win camp...but even I find myself holding out hope that we may just win 1 or 2 we aren't supposed to. The magic of August.....

RedRazorback15

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on August 10, 2014, 07:22:28 pm
Very, very good point.

I'm in the 5 or 6 win camp...but even I find myself holding out hope that we may just win 1 or 2 we aren't supposed to. The magic of August.....

I believe the Hogs are capable of pulling out a couple W's they aren't supposed to. Last year, if it weren't for a couple plays, we'd have beaten Rutgers, LSU, MSU, and maybe Ole Miss. That's the way the SEC is. There are no "guaranteed wins". Each and every game is a dogfight.

5 or 6 wins would be a GOOD year given some of the questions on our team.

code red

7 wins would be wonderful....7 is the ceiling.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

LZH

I'm not sure if I can even remember hearing about a first day in pads being super-productive.

They've been going at it in the heat for a couple of weeks now - they're tired, mentally and physically.  I'd expect things to get snappier as the week goes on.

PorkSoda

7-5 is on the high side of our potential this year.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LZH

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 11, 2014, 02:03:41 pm
7-5 is on the high side of our potential this year.

All the heat I take for my thoughts on Bielema and my 7-5 prediction is on the high side?  Far out.

If he's the coach everyone says he is, he'll win as many as he loses this year.

Mike_e

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on August 10, 2014, 07:22:28 pm
Very, very good point.

Hope for the best and expect to wake up the next morning I always say.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!