Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs to host Iona

Started by Hawg Red, August 07, 2014, 09:55:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Per our biggest fan (Jon Rothstein) on Twitter, Hogs will host Iona in a non-con game.

Gaels went 22-11 last year (17-3 in their conference) and lost by a single point at La. Tech in the NIT first round.

azhog10

This is the type of mid major school we should have on our schedule. Should be a win for us, but it looks much better on our RPI due to them playing in a conference not based out of the deep south.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on August 07, 2014, 10:12:37 am
This is the type of mid major school we should have on our schedule. Should be a win for us, but it looks much better on our RPI due to them playing in a conference not based out of the deep south.

Absolutely.

Very solid non-con home opponent.

HawgAdvocate

When our men's basketball schedule is eventually released and celebrated, I hope that those in NW Arkansas make a point to further support Razorback Soccer. It'll be thanks to Coach Hale that our basketball schedule finally becomes respectable.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mhuff

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 07, 2014, 10:50:37 am
When our men's basketball schedule is eventually released and celebrated, I hope that those in NW Arkansas make a point to further support Razorback Soccer. It'll be thanks to Coach Hale that our basketball schedule finally becomes respectable.

Ok, I'll bite. What has Coach Hale done to influence the BB schedule. I am sure he must have made a contribution ,or you would not have mentioned it.

TRUHOG718

Great addition. Very well coached. They have good guard play and like to get up and down the floor as well. I do not know who they graduated but if they return their core this will not be an easy game. Would be a solid win come march. We need to schedule more games like this. Pounding Cupcakes do not do us much good in the eyes of the selection committee.

TH
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Interested to see the full schedule. Appears we will have the schedule needed to achieve a hog seed. Assuming we win of course.

Hawg Red

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on August 07, 2014, 11:06:36 am
Great addition. Very well coached. They have good guard play and like to get up and down the floor as well. I do not know who they graduated but if they return their core this will not be an easy game. Would be a solid win come march. We need to schedule more games like this. Pounding Cupcakes do not do us much good in the eyes of the selection committee.

TH

They had two 17 PPG scorers last season and one was a senior. I didn't look at the roster beyond that. I figure they'll be pretty good. They seem to have guys that get pro looks each year.

Hog Fan...DOH!

As long as we can keep the sub-250 RPI schools off the schedule, we'll be in good shape.  Same for baseball. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mhuff on August 07, 2014, 11:04:27 am
Ok, I'll bite. What has Coach Hale done to influence the BB schedule. I am sure he must have made a contribution ,or you would not have mentioned it.

I've posted on it a few times now, although it's been a few months. This basketball staff has never used any sort of aggregate RPI data as a basis for forming their NC schedule. Whatever guidelines the staff used previously are unknown, but Hale got hired in late 2011 and is a math whiz of sorts. He's used   RPI data for years now to help his teams reach postseason play. He knows what he's doing.

When he was hired, he offered his assistance to every program that uses RPI for postseason play. The men's basketball staff chose to ignore this offered assistance until this prior season when a couple of ESPN writers, Jim Harris, and Doc Harper wrote negative articles about how weak our NC SoS was and how it would be a detriment to our post-season chances. Harris got to Long, quizzed him on it for his article, and essentially, soon after that this past season got started the basketball staff was told they could no longer ignore RPI scheduling assistance.

We'd likely have already made the Big Dance under MA if they would had accepted the help the first time around. Moving forward, they can no longer shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to NC scheduling.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

RazorAg

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 07, 2014, 11:18:10 am
They had two 17 PPG scorers last season and one was a senior. I didn't look at the roster beyond that. I figure they'll be pretty good. They seem to have guys that get pro looks each year.

According to their website, they have 8 players returning. 4 Guards and 4 Forwards with the tallest player being a 7 foot Sophomore. Their Freshmen are not listed.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on August 07, 2014, 03:18:49 pm
According to their website, they have 8 players returning. 4 Guards and 4 Forwards with the tallest player being a 7 foot Sophomore. Their Freshmen are not listed.

According to ESPN, it looks like they have two freshmen PGs, two freshmen SFs and a 6'7 Greek freshman 2 guard coming in, and a JUCO wing.

-Blu

So... We should be seeing a schedule soon right?  I'm really looking forward to seeing our complete non-conference.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 07, 2014, 01:56:41 pm
I've posted on it a few times now, although it's been a few months. This basketball staff has never used any sort of aggregate RPI data as a basis for forming their NC schedule. Whatever guidelines the staff used previously are unknown, but Hale got hired in late 2011 and is a math whiz of sorts. He's used   RPI data for years now to help his teams reach postseason play. He knows what he's doing.

When he was hired, he offered his assistance to every program that uses RPI for postseason play. The men's basketball staff chose to ignore this offered assistance until this prior season when a couple of ESPN writers, Jim Harris, and Doc Harper wrote negative articles about how weak our NC SoS was and how it would be a detriment to our post-season chances. Harris got to Long, quizzed him on it for his article, and essentially, soon after that this past season got started the basketball staff was told they could no longer ignore RPI scheduling assistance.

We'd likely have already made the Big Dance under MA if they would had accepted the help the first time around. Moving forward, they can no longer shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to NC scheduling.

Thanks for repeating this...I hadnt heard it before. Very interesting this Mr Hale. +1
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Razorbacks#1

Thanks for the insight on this. +1
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

intelligence

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on August 07, 2014, 08:30:35 pm
Thanks for the insight on this. +1
seconded. I was wondering what was with the sudden upgrade last season in scheduling. A great post hog advocate.
now, on the subject of this game with iona, they looked soft at times on the inside. I think we need to really work it Down to bob and co in The low post. Our defense will give them fits but our advantages on the perimeter will be negated by their length. Should be a competitive and entertaining game. My 1 concern going into next season is if we are going to be consistent. We are easily one of the most athletic teams in the conference and our array of weapons at each position is pretty good.if we cam have trey ready to provide minutes vs Kentucky I feel very good about our chances of beating the kittens

rusvegashog

Quite interesting. +1 to you sir.

rzrbackramsfan

While that was interesting hawg advocate, there's still no guarantee it's going to work.

CDBHawg

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 08, 2014, 05:24:44 am
While that was interesting hawg advocate, there's still no guarantee it's going to work.

In every scenario, there are no guarantees. Just win, that's the only gurantwe. No doubt this will help though.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 08, 2014, 05:24:44 am

There's no guarantee of anything in life, aside from death & taxes. But at least now there's a proven method in place that has delivered results in the past, where there certainly wasn't one before.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: intelligence on August 08, 2014, 01:15:16 am
seconded. I was wondering what was with the sudden upgrade last season in scheduling.

Well, to be clear, the help wasn't accepted prior to last season's schedule being made. It was only after our schedule got nit-picked and ridiculed that the lines of communication started opening for this coming year's schedule and beyond. The home & homes against SMU and Clemson were already in place, for example.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: intelligence on August 08, 2014, 01:15:16 am
if we cam have trey ready to provide minutes vs Kentucky I feel very good about our chances of beating the kittens

un-intelligence?

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomBigBeeHog

Our players and coaches will be the only reason we make tourney, Mr. Hale's supposed contributions notwithstanding. His assistance, if any, was certainly not forced on the coaching staff.

Last years weaker non-conference schedule was due to the coaching staff wanting to have a chance to develop Bobby and Moses for conference play.

Mr. Hale's suggestions may have been given some consideration but that's about it.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on August 08, 2014, 10:08:33 am
Our players and coaches will be the only reason we make tourney, Mr. Hale's supposed contributions notwithstanding. His assistance, if any, was certainly not forced on the coaching staff.

Last years weaker non-conference schedule was due to the coaching staff wanting to have a chance to develop Bobby and Moses for conference play.

Mr. Hale's suggestions may have been given some consideration but that's about it.

If that's what you want to believe, so be it.

TomBigBeeHog

Shackquiel Scott
#4 G-F Freshman Iona Gaels
HometownPassaic, NJ
Height6-6
Weight215 lbs

With a name like Shackquiel, there's no way this dude is Irish. Oh, the images that flash when I think of his mother. Wth was she drinking?  ;)

yraciv

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on August 08, 2014, 10:27:14 am
Shackquiel Scott
#4 G-F Freshman Iona Gaels
HometownPassaic, NJ
Height6-6
Weight215 lbs

With a name like Shackquiel, there's no way this dude is Irish. Oh, the images that flash when I think of his mother. Wth was she drinking?  ;)

Unintelligence? What the heck are you talking about? This is a black guy from the projects, so not sure where you got Irish.  And he isn't even on the team anymore.

TomBigBeeHog

August 08, 2014, 11:08:39 am #27 Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:22:21 am by TomBigBeeHog
Quote from: yraciv on August 08, 2014, 10:51:50 am
Unintelligence? What the heck are you talking about? This is a black guy from the projects, so not sure where you got Irish.  And he isn't even on the team anymore.

I guess you missed the big, blinking yellow thingy at the end of my post. The following is from Iona's website.

WHAT IS A GAEL?

"The symbol of Iona College's athletic teams is the popular Gael. A Gael is anyone of Irish-Gaelic ancestry, consistent with the Irish tradition of Iona. The College was founded in 1940 by the Congregation of Christian Brothers, commonly known as the Irish Christian Brothers.

The Gael, which is depicted as a spunky character, provides Iona with a nickname consistent with the school motto, certa bonum certamen, ("fight a good fight") and personifies strength."

By the way, I knew he was black. I looked at his photo on the team website. Hence, my prior post.

I was poking fun at an adversary on a Hog message board, you don't get that?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: yraciv on August 08, 2014, 10:51:50 am

was he a neighbor of yours?

intelligence

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on August 08, 2014, 09:52:19 am
un-intelligence?
ha maybe. I think his size would help against Kentucky but what do I know.

intelligence

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 08, 2014, 09:11:32 am
Well, to be clear, the help wasn't accepted prior to last season's schedule being made. It was only after our schedule got nit-picked and ridiculed that the lines of communication started opening for this coming year's schedule and beyond. The home & homes against SMU and Clemson were already in place, for example.
oh ok. Do you happen to know how placement in preseason tourneys occurs? Is it bi invitation only? I ask because I hope we can regularly appear in preseason tourneys every year. Think it would benefit us on the recruiting trail

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: intelligence on August 08, 2014, 12:11:59 pm
ha maybe. I think his size would help against Kentucky but what do I know.

glad you can take a joke. kinda rare around here. His size surely won't hurt but if he is in any way key to us beating the KY jellycats, we will stand less of a chance than we already do.

You did see who they have returning, in addition to their awesome recruiting class, didn't you? Oh, and do you know where the game is to be played? And, if that isn't enough, haven't we beat them 3 straight? Think they don't know that?

Let's just play the Cavs and get it over with already. The Jellycats are an NBA team.

Fayettechill14

In the last 5 years, Iona has made two NCAA appearances (15 seed and 14 seed) and two NIT appearances, finishing in the top half of the Metro Atlantic conference each year.

They play at a frenetic pace (like us!) and have averaged over 80 points per game for at least 5 straight years.

This is going to be a 110-95 kind of game. I love it. Their RPI will be solid as well, around 150 or so.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 08, 2014, 12:56:05 pm
In the last 5 years, Iona has made two NCAA appearances (15 seed and 14 seed) and two NIT appearances, finishing in the top half of the Metro Atlantic conference each year.

They play at a frenetic pace (like us!) and have averaged over 80 points per game for at least 5 straight years.

This is going to be a 110-95 kind of game. I love it. Their RPI will be solid as well, around 150 or so.

I love playing other up tempo teams. Gonna be hard for them to keep up with us on our home court. Do we have to give them a return game?

yraciv

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on August 08, 2014, 11:11:59 am
was he a neighbor of yours?

Well yes.  Started from the bottom now I'm here.  I meant nothing by it and he could be a great guy, but it isn't tough to put 2 and 2 together.  And no I didn't catch your sarcasm.  I don't really get the humor in assuming all Notre Dame players should be Irish Catholics or BYU players are mormon.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: intelligence on August 08, 2014, 12:18:42 pm
oh ok. Do you happen to know how placement in preseason tourneys occurs? Is it bi invitation only? I ask because I hope we can regularly appear in preseason tourneys every year. Think it would benefit us on the recruiting trail

I don't know, but I would imagine it's via invitation and availability. Conference offices are likely involved as well.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on August 08, 2014, 01:21:05 pm
I love playing other up tempo teams. Gonna be hard for them to keep up with us on our home court. Do we have to give them a return game?

I agree, it will be fun to watch.

And as far as I know, no return game. They are in New York and their gym seats 2,600. That would be highly unusual for us to play them there.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

intelligence

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on August 08, 2014, 12:20:45 pm
glad you can take a joke. kinda rare around here. His size surely won't hurt but if he is in any way key to us beating the KY jellycats, we will stand less of a chance than we already do.

You did see who they have returning, in addition to their awesome recruiting class, didn't you? Oh, and do you know where the game is to be played? And, if that isn't enough, haven't we beat them 3 straight? Think they don't know that?

Let's just play the Cavs and get it over with already. The Jellycats are an NBA team.
he looks to be about 260 or more I'm the pictures I've seen. Having him to spell portis/kingsley is absolutely key. We lost Clark so we have to hope Thompson can ease that blow. I'm aware of the returning players plus their latest recruiting class. I don't think they are as athletic and deep as we are. They have talent at each position and a scary big front court but we have the more athletic team. We have a plethora of good shooters and a big enough front court to give them serious trouble. I'm looking for our defense to be much improved next season but ultimately I feel like Portis and Qualls will form a potent combo kicking out to madden and others as necessary

Dwight_K_Shrute

Coach Hale is a great coach and has turned the soccer program around in a very short time.  Making the sweet 16 this year was a huge accomplishment.  Interesting that he is helping Bball team as well.  Hope it pays off.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.