Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shoulder pads

Started by onebadrubi, August 07, 2014, 12:55:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

I'm watching the 2001 Hogs vs Ole Miss 7 OT game. It seems as if shoulder pads have extremely shrunk over the last 10 years.  Think this has any correlation with injuries?  The wide receivers, LB's, safeties, and CB's especially in the 2001 game are tremendously larger than what college is running now.  I know technology and weight are playing apart of some of the changes, but can not help but think these larger ones had to absorb a little more impact entergy. 

What do you guys think?  Think Brandon Allen, Tevin mitchell, Will hines, and many more.

Piggfoot

The shoulder pads will not prevent injuries like those of Allen or Mitchell.
I wonder if the presence of the shoulder pad actually contributes to more serious injuries than if they werent worn. If you block and tackle with the top of the pad you can not help but lead with the head. Just a thought. 
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Piggfoot on August 07, 2014, 03:23:38 am
The shoulder pads will not prevent injuries like those of Allen or Mitchell.
I wonder if the presence of the shoulder pad actually contributes to more serious injuries than if they werent worn. If you block and tackle with the top of the pad you can not help but lead with the head. Just a thought. 

Agreed, shoulder pads do not protect well from side impacts, such as what Allen experienced with Southern Miss. The instinct to roll on impending ground impact may have worked against him. The support offered by the pads may have actually concentrated the impact at the joint. Here is a clip of the play. http://www.nwahomepage.com/story/brandon-allens-injury-hogs-quarterback-situation/d/story/aFJURkyUAEubDjeRjE_w6Q    Sorry for the ad.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

onebadrubi

the older pads appeared to have more protection outside of the shoulders though, why I think maybe a little more cushion when falling on a shoulder, similar to Allen.