Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MLS All Stars vs. Star-Studded Bayern Munich GAME THREAD

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, August 06, 2014, 08:42:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Providence Park, Portland, OH

[attachment deleted by admin]
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

yraciv

Doesn't quite look like the star studded Bayern Munich I know. The stars better see the field 2nd half, and interested to see what Julian can do against us.

Quote from: yraciv on August 06, 2014, 08:54:28 pm
Doesn't quite look like the star studded Bayern Munich I know. The stars better see the field 2nd half, and interested to see what Julian can do against us.

They are there.  And it is an All-Star game - but still pretty cool to see some of the guys who are already out there.  A lot of talent still on the bench.

I don't think there are substitution limits, other than once out you can't come back in.

Stadium looks beautiful, too.

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 06, 2014, 09:06:07 pm
FYI: 10 substitutions are allowed in this match.

Thanks for the correction.

Beautiful strike by Lewandowski.  1-0 BM leads.

Rimando was awful, though, should have had that.  I don't like him as our #3 USMNT Keeper - we have to have better out there.  He's tough and I know he gives it his all, but I just don't think his reflexes are good enough and he seems to get beat high a lot.

Dempsey with a hard strike, sent out by keeper for a corner.

Yeah, Seven I think it's in part bc of the time zone in Portland.

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 06, 2014, 09:30:19 pm
I've got this on the DVR because I have to go to work tomorrow so if I fade out without notice, please understand...

No prob, brotha, I appreciate the effort.

Nice touch there by Henry.

Wow, Twellman really likes Rimando.  I just don't see it, but hope I'm wrong.  Actually, I hope we just don't ever have to start him.

Great save with his legs, though, as I trash him..

redeye

Alright, I'm here and I think we looked good, but we need better mid-fielders and better defense.

redeye

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on August 06, 2014, 09:39:45 pm
No prob, brotha, I appreciate the effort.

Nice touch there by Henry.

Wow, Twellman really likes Rimando.  I just don't see it, but hope I'm wrong.  Actually, I hope we just don't ever have to start him.

Great save with his legs, though, as I trash him..

Not familiar with him, but I thought he looked good.  Seems short for a goalie, though.

Bradley Wright-Phillips ties it with a laser, after settling it with one touch.  Great shot.

yraciv

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on August 06, 2014, 08:58:44 pm
They are there.  And it is an All-Star game - but still pretty cool to see some of the guys who are already out there.  A lot of talent still on the bench.

I don't think there are substitution limits, other than once out you can't come back in.

Stadium looks beautiful, too.

Portland is phenomenal for U.S. soccer.  I saw them pack a women's game earlier this week.

yraciv

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on August 06, 2014, 09:20:01 pm
Thanks for the correction.

Beautiful strike by Lewandowski.  1-0 BM leads.

Rimando was awful, though, should have had that.  I don't like him as our #3 USMNT Keeper - we have to have better out there.  He's tough and I know he gives it his all, but I just don't think his reflexes are good enough and he seems to get beat high a lot.

Did he show enough after the goal for you to change your mind? Ha!

yraciv

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on August 06, 2014, 10:10:59 pm
Bradley Wright-Phillips ties it with a laser, after settling it with one touch.  Great shot.

I know all the U.S. guys out there and majority of the Bayern guys out there, but had no idea who Bradley Wright-Phillips was. Of course, I made the logical and correct EPL assumption that he had to be Shaun's brother.

Quote from: yraciv on August 06, 2014, 10:12:10 pm
Did he show enough after the goal for you to change your mind? Ha!

Not to beat out Guzan yet!

Quote from: yraciv on August 06, 2014, 10:15:29 pm
I know all the U.S. guys out there and majority of the Bayern guys out there, but had no idea who Bradley Wright-Phillips was. Of course, I made the logical and correct EPL assumption that he had to be Shaun's brother.

Yeah, didn't know him either.

Donovan gives MLS the lead with a great goal.

I didn't know who the Wright-Phillips guy was either.  Leading scorer in the MLS, I guess!

I watched a couple of games the last couple of weeks, and I'm really intrigued by some of the young talent we have, especially really young kids playing F on some of our teams.

As the we get closer to the MLS Cup, I hope to get in some good discussion on that and learn more about some of this young talent we have.

WOW, I don't know that I've ever seen so many talented players all subbed in at once like that.  Has to be some sort of record.

Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Mueller, Gotze...

redeye

Well, that was exciting and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I understand that Guardiola had good reason to be upset, but that seemed awful harsh.  Although, I have to say that it's nice to see such emotion in the game.

Quote from: yraciv on August 06, 2014, 10:15:29 pm

I've become a bit of a Red Bulls fan due to Henry, so I've seen him a couple of times.  That was a nice shot, but it seemed like he missed a couple of other good opportunities.

WOW.  MLS beats Bayern Munich and BM's Guardiola would not shake MLS coach Caleb Porter's hand, and even pointed toward some of his players to leave the field.  Porter followed him for a bit, respectfully, waiting for a chance and Guardiola would not even shake the MLS American's hands - he only acknowledged Henry and a couple of other internationals and quickly made his exit.

What an ass!  Unbelievable.

redeye

Yea, I think some of the German players wouldn't shake Porter's hand, either.  Was it just the 2 plays that drew yellow cards or was there more to it?  The fouls didn't even seem that bad, so I'm going with poor sportsmanship.

Quote from: redeye on August 06, 2014, 11:02:17 pm
Yea, I think some of the German players wouldn't shake Porter's hand, either.  Was it just the 2 plays that drew yellow cards or was there more to it?  The fouls didn't even seem that bad, so I'm going with poor sportsmanship.

There were 3 tackles, but only the first one against Schweinsteiger looked hard to me, but even then it appeared he was instinctively going for the ball, it didn't look malicious at all.

Regardless, Porter was apologizing

I think Guardiola was more butt-hurt about getting beat by Donovan than anything else.

I just think it was really unfair to Porter, who really made an effort and is really far down the professional rung compared to a guy like Guardiola - it would have meant a lot to him just to shake his and some of his players hands.  The assistants wouldn't even look at Porter, and left him hanging with his hand outstretched out in the middle of the field.

Just really sorry.

redeye

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on August 06, 2014, 11:50:05 pm
There were 3 tackles, but only the first one against Schweinsteiger looked hard to me, but even then it appeared he was instinctively going for the ball, it didn't look malicious at all.

Regardless, Porter was apologizing

I think Guardiola was more butt-hurt about getting beat by Donovan than anything else.

I just think it was really unfair to Porter, who really made an effort and is really far down the professional rung compared to a guy like Guardiola - it would have meant a lot to him just to shake his and some of his players hands.  The assistants wouldn't even look at Porter, and left him hanging with his hand outstretched out in the middle of the field.

Just really sorry.

So, what's up with the Donovan angle?  Because he used to play for Bayern Munich?

Quote from: redeye on August 06, 2014, 11:53:19 pm
So, what's up with the Donovan angle?  Because he used to play for Bayern Munich?

No - b/c he scored the winning goal, we won the game when they are supposed to be much better than we are(and they played their best players) and Donovan is pretty much the MLS/U.S. soccer academy poster child.  He is born, bred, trained, 100% U.S.A..

I'm just speculating, but I think it added to his reaction.

redeye

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on August 07, 2014, 12:08:30 am
No - b/c he scored the winning goal, we won the game when they are supposed to be much better than we are(and they played their best players) and Donovan is pretty much the MLS/U.S. soccer academy poster child.  He is born, bred, trained, 100% U.S.A..

I'm just speculating, but I think it added to his reaction.

Yea, that makes sense.  And I know they played their best players some, because even I recognized Muller, Shaqiri and that blond headed guy whose name escapes me.

Quote from: redeye on August 07, 2014, 12:18:13 am
Yea, that makes sense.  And I know they played their best players some, because even I recognized Muller, Shaqiri and that blond headed guy whose name escapes me.

Gotze - World Cup final winning goal scorer, and Schweinsteiger, Lahm(Germany's captain).

Now, I know Bayern could have played a better game had they started those guys and maybe been more aggressive.  But we waited to put Landon in also, and I didn't think we were playing "balls to the wall" either - Dempsey was just having fun out there, I think most played with just about the right intensity - not too much, not too little.

And they probably have a point getting a little upset about the tackles....but not to the point where you act like that.

redeye

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on August 07, 2014, 12:34:11 am
Gotze - World Cup final winning goal scorer, and Schweinsteiger, Lahm(Germany's captain).

Now, I know Bayern could have played a better game had they started those guys and maybe been more aggressive.  But we waited to put Landon in also, and I didn't think we were playing "balls to the wall" either - Dempsey was just having fun out there, I think most played with just about the right intensity - not too much, not too little.

And they probably have a point getting a little upset about the tackles....but not to the point where you act like that.

Agreed

QuoteGotze - World Cup final winning goal scorer

Yep, that's the one.

I knew Bayern was good, but didn't realize they had so many star players.

Hogsooey

Finished watching a dvr of the allstar game about an our ago. Pep's post match actions were kinda laughable. Anyway, I watched the post match press conferences and I was impressed with Caleb Porter, who Pep pretended he didn't know in his interview. lol Here's the post match interviews. You have to go to about 6:30 for the Pep interview and 18:30 for the Caleb interview.

https://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-google#/watch?v=2jFNI7sIXlw

Quote from: Hogsooey on August 07, 2014, 01:26:16 am
Finished watching a dvr of the allstar game about an our ago. Pep's post match actions were kinda laughable. Anyway, I watched the post match press conferences and I was impressed with Caleb Porter, who Pep pretended he didn't know in his interview. lol Here's the post match interviews. You have to go to about 6:30 for the Pep interview and 18:30 for the Caleb interview.

https://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-google#/watch?v=2jFNI7sIXlw

I was just looking online for that.  Thanks.

Sooooo dramatic, lol.

Btw, I thought it was a great All-Star game.  What a great format, to be able to have the option to bring in a team like that.

And after watching, I'm putting a Portland game on my bucket list.  Looks like a really cool venue.

Also, was that "The Flaming Lips" performing before the game?  I just caught parts of it and couldn't tell, but it sounded like them.  If so, what a perfect band for that game. 

The MLS is really doing some smart things.

This is from the 2001 All-Star game.  I know they are screwing around a lot, but you can really see how much better we play the game now, in just that short amount of time.

Also, skip to around 2:45 for a funny clip of Donovan:

redeye

Quote from: Hogsooey on August 07, 2014, 01:26:16 am
Finished watching a dvr of the allstar game about an our ago. Pep's post match actions were kinda laughable. Anyway, I watched the post match press conferences and I was impressed with Caleb Porter, who Pep pretended he didn't know in his interview.

Well, if appealing to the US market was the goal, I'm not sure he helped Bayern any.

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on August 07, 2014, 02:06:53 am
Btw, I thought it was a great All-Star game.  What a great format, to be able to have the option to bring in a team like that.

And after watching, I'm putting a Portland game on my bucket list.  Looks like a really cool venue.

Same here.  I really enjoyed the game and I appreciate that Pep played his great players, although I wonder if those mass substitutions would have happened if Bayern weren't losing.

I'm also more interested in watching Portland and Diego Valeri in particular.

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on August 07, 2014, 02:13:08 am
This is from the 2001 All-Star game.  I know they are screwing around a lot, but you can really see how much better we play the game now, in just that short amount of time.

Also, skip to around 2:45 for a funny clip of Donovan:

lol... Donovan with dyed hair and Chastain's bra.