Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Frank Ragnow

Started by Hogpkins, August 06, 2014, 07:42:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogpkins

Yesterday Coach Pittman said if there's any person who could ever play center as a freshman in their offense, it's Frank Ragnow. "He's a football junky, strong as a bull, and had the fastest 20 yard line shuttle of all the offensive linemen, at 300 lbs." Sounded like Pittman LOVES him.

Phil D

Quote from: Hogpkins on August 06, 2014, 07:42:31 pm
Yesterday Coach Pittman said if there's any person who could ever play center as a freshman in their offense, it's Frank Ragnow. "He's a football junky, strong as a bull, and had the fastest 20 yard line shuttle of all the offensive linemen, at 300 lbs." Sounded like Pittman LOVES him.

He does from the sound of it. I think it would be best if he redshirted if possible this year to learn the offense, but if he is the best option play him.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

HogFanatic

Of all our incoming freshmen, I have been most impressed by Ragnow since National Signing Day, and even before.

His measurables are off the charts. Dude is a freak of nature.

Jek Tono Porkins

Kirkland said that when he first saw Ragnow working out, he thought he was a defensive end because he was moving so quickly.

That right there says a lot seeing as how Ragnow is 300 lbs. I think he's going to be a STUD center in the future.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Bacon_Bitz

Ragnow seems legit and I hope he gets to start from day one if he's our best option at center. If he did win the spot, would Smothers get a chance to slide over to G like Charp did when he lost the C spot in Spring?

dfwhawg

I saw CP video too.  He was smiling from ear-to-ear.  I will be surprised if Frank does not start this year.  Man, can't wait to see the first game.  We will open some eyes....

GuvHog

Quote from: dfwhawg on August 06, 2014, 08:40:40 pm
I saw CP video too.  He was smiling from ear-to-ear.  I will be surprised if Frank does not start this year.  Man, can't wait to see the first game.  We will open some eyes....

I'm looking forward to seeing Ragnow play too but CBB recently stated that the #1 Center spot is Smothers to lose.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hogpkins

Pittman said the same thing, about all 5 starters coming out of spring. The depth chart is set as we left it, and there will be major competition for the rest of the year. Second string, left to right, is Beck-Cameron-Ragnow-Tretola-Ollison.

We can expect some possible shuffling between 1s and 2s after they put pads on and fall training camp progresses, but Pittman said they feel like all the 1s are in their correct positions.

Hawgzinbowlz

If Ragnow is good enough, play him as soon as possible.

The depth of this OL is impressive.

" GO HOGS "

tophawg19

i see him and think of Steve Korte powerful and fast . or  JIM Mabry in his day
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

onebadrubi

I just don't think you can afford to start a freshman at center for the Auburn game.  Now after a couple of the OOC games maybe.  As much as we pull a center that shuttle time may be very important.  It seems I remember Swanson really sealing edges a few times for us.

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 06, 2014, 09:46:52 pm
I just don't think you can afford to start a freshman at center for the Auburn game.  Now after a couple of the OOC games maybe.  As much as we pull a center that shuttle time may be very important.  It seems I remember Swanson really sealing edges a few times for us.

Yep, Swanson could motor and get the edge.

flagstaffhog

If Frank Ragnow is as good as advertised, he won't red shirt. I don't think the freshman from St. Louis will red shirt either.

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

Atlhogfan1

Its unfortunate if we can't RS as many linemen as we can.  If we must play them because of no depth, I understand and agree.  But I'd rather have Ragnow and the others as 23 year old men in 2018 than having to play them as 18-19 year olds now.  It's part of that patience and building towards a future instead of the need for instant gratification.

This only goes for linemen.  Play skill players or back 7 defense as true Fr if they are ready. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Oklahawg

In 2016 when we are playing in Atlanta we'll regret not being able to redshirt all of these OL. But, if they help us to bowl eligibility in 2014 go for it.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

dfwhawg

Quote from: flagstaffhog on August 06, 2014, 09:57:29 pm
If Frank Ragnow is as good as advertised, he won't red shirt. I don't think the freshman from St. Louis will red shirt either.

Go HOGS Go!
CSP loves Frank Ragnow and will play him if he is ready.  No RS this OL.  Wallace is another OL that the staff is very high on.  If these two are ready, I say play them now. WPS.

hogfan14

Bielema did say that he played Travis Frederick as a freshman right away at center. So he's done it before at least, but granted he wasn't playing against Auburn. If ragnow can have the type of career that he had then that would be great.

onebadrubi

Something also to consider.  You guys wishing we RS the top guys last year and this year, you are removing faith in what Bielema, Pittman, and staff have prove , the ability to go get some of the best OL in the country.  Sure, I'd love to have redshirted Kirkland and believing ragnow and Wallace would.  So not redshirting, whose to say in their 4th year respectfully we aren't starting RSsohomores of equivalent caliber and yet they can come in and solidify a shaky important part of this team, giving te QB and RB's a better chance of performing. 

MissippHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 06, 2014, 10:07:35 pm
Its unfortunate if we can't RS as many linemen as we can.  If we must play them because of no depth, I understand and agree.  But I'd rather have Ragnow and the others as 23 year old men in 2018 than having to play them as 18-19 year olds now.  It's part of that patience and building towards a future instead of the need for instant gratification.

This only goes for linemen.  Play skill players or back 7 defense as true Fr if they are ready.
I agree with you to an extent.  Along with the linemen, I would like to see the secondary redshirt also as well as QB's.  Let the WR's and RB's play right away if they are good enough.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 06, 2014, 10:47:47 pm
Something also to consider.  You guys wishing we RS the top guys last year and this year, you are removing faith in what Bielema, Pittman, and staff have prove , the ability to go get some of the best OL in the country.  Sure, I'd love to have redshirted Kirkland and believing ragnow and Wallace would.  So not redshirting, whose to say in their 4th year respectfully we aren't starting RSsohomores of equivalent caliber and yet they can come in and solidify a shaky important part of this team, giving te QB and RB's a better chance of performing.

I have complete faith in Bielema, Pittman and Chaney when it comes to the oline and trust they know who they must play now and who can RS.  Our offensive line recruiting is great right now.  And given the condition of our program in terms of depth at positions like center, we may have to play a true freshman now.  If so, okay.  Plus you can save that RS in case of emergency.  I'm just not going to be excited about it or hoping for it.  I'm excited we have a player as talented as Ragnow and the true freshmen olinemen last year.  I would just prefer upperclassmen be capable players now to afford the luxury of redshirting even if the upperclassmen aren't far ahead. 

Quote from: MissippHog on August 06, 2014, 11:14:14 pm
I agree with you to an extent.  Along with the linemen, I would like to see the secondary redshirt also as well as QB's.  Let the WR's and RB's play right away if they are good enough.

QB takes a phenom to play as a freshman or a program in desperate shape at that position.  If they are good enough to start as a freshman, not because they have to, then I'm good with playing them as you may only get 3 seasons from them.  I'm good with RS most.  We seem to be setting up nicely there to have a pattern of redshirting.  I think most DBs and LBs we recruit should RS too as we don't recruit many ready to play at an SEC level as true freshmen.  Those rare ones we do get though we almost have to play them.  Hopefully someday we won't. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Peter Porker

To me Ragnow is the third Klitschko brother.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

farmhawg

If they are that good then you have to play them this year because they will only be here for three years.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

earshot

Reminds me of Jason Peters. Came in at 300 lbs and ran a 4.7

Sooo Nutt puts the highest paid LT in the NFL at TE.

Kenny Hawgins

After going back and watching his sr. year highlights, he could just as easily be a stud defensive tackle.  Great quickness off the ball and physical.  I can easily see him being a 1st round pick if he continues to develop well.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

onebadrubi

Quote from: earshot on August 07, 2014, 08:28:00 am

Guy had great hands for a 300lb man too

Peter Porker

Which was, basically, a 6th lineman. He lined up next to Shawn Andrews. Why was this bad?

Plus, Peters didn't want to play OL or DL.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Speedracer

I have 100% trust in whatever Pittman decides at OLine.  Guy is worth every penny
Like smites bother me.

hogrocker

Bielema gets it.  The way you build a team for lasting success is in the trenches.  It might take a little time, but when it starts working, it'll work for a long time.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 07, 2014, 08:40:44 am
Which was, basically, a 6th lineman. He lined up next to Shawn Andrews. Why was this bad?

Plus, Peters didn't want to play OL or DL.

Peters, Andrews, and Mark Bokermann on the right side paving a way for our running backs and Matt Jones was pretty stout!

Razordiddy

Did Swanson start as a true freshman, or was he redshirted?

Jek Tono Porkins

Swanson was redshirted.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

The Kig

I understand the reasons behind it taking time to develop OL and interior DL talent...especially in the SEC where there will always be a full grown, angry man lined up on the other side of the ball. 

Having said that, put the best players on the field... and I believe that this staff will do just that.  Leaving a hole in the line that could be plugged and exposing an even thinner depth chart at QB to injury would be insane.  If we have the luxury of depth (which I believe is the long term plan) and can redshirt some of these studs, then even better.
Poker Porker

brian.griffin.hogfan

sounds like a real bulldozer. anxious to see him play.

bennyl08

Quote from: Razordiddy on August 07, 2014, 10:08:17 am
Did Swanson start as a true freshman, or was he redshirted?

Alvin Bailey started as a true freshman though. That worked out well later on.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 07, 2014, 12:14:46 pm
Alvin Bailey started as a true freshman though. That worked out well later on.
Alvin was a redshirt freshman when he started his first game.

texas tush hog

Quote from: farmhawg on August 07, 2014, 08:16:59 am
If they are that good then you have to play them this year because they will only be here for three years.

My thought exactly. Some are not thinking rationally.

texas tush hog

Seems like he wanted to do that with Ryan Mallett, that's why he went to Michigan, that and Mitch Mustain. What a great coach and asset to our program.

Peter Porker

August 07, 2014, 01:03:34 pm #37 Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:53:32 pm by Peter Porker
Quote from: texas tush hog on August 07, 2014, 01:00:02 pm
Seems like he wanted to do that with Ryan Mallett, that's why he went to Michigan, that and Mitch Mustain. What a great coach and asset to our program.

Another rumor that wasn't true.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2009/oct/23/arkansas-vs-ole-miss-no-motivation-required/

jseinfeld50

He was as a freshman DE 260-270 lbs 4.6 (4.65). He didn't fare well at DE. 

trippigs

Ragnar was the famous Razorback mascot back in the 1970's. He was a bad MOFO who killed pigs and snakes. Might be a good nickname for Frank Ragnow if he is as described.

ThisTeetsTaken

I just want somebody to put Nkemdiche on his butt!
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

JansterZ71

Tough way to break in a freshman center, against the defending SEC champs against a rotation of 5 good DT's.  But he will learn from it and only be better for it.
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

ricepig

Quote from: JansterZ71 on August 07, 2014, 07:49:13 pm
Tough way to break in a freshman center, against the defending SEC champs against a rotation of 5 good DT's.  But he will learn from it and only be better for it.

No problem, our guards will work your DT's over.

JansterZ71

Quote from: ricepig on August 07, 2014, 08:08:15 pm
No problem, our guards will work your DT's over.
My DT's?  Sorry I don't own anyone.  Why the hostility?  What I said was factual. 
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

Hogpkins

Nope, only the defending SEC champ part was factual. The rest is all your opinion.

ricepig

Quote from: JansterZ71 on August 07, 2014, 09:29:13 pm
My DT's?  Sorry I don't own anyone.  Why the hostility?  What I said was factual. 

Your=Auburn, I'll s l o w it down for you so you can comprehend it.

southeasthog

Quote from: trippigs on August 07, 2014, 05:55:41 pm
Ragnar was the famous Razorback mascot back in the 1970's. He was a bad MOFO who killed pigs and snakes. Might be a good nickname for Frank Ragnow if he is as described.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: JansterZ71 on August 07, 2014, 07:49:13 pm

Who has five good defensive tackles? When do we play them? October? Not August.
[CENSORED]!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 08, 2014, 06:22:31 am
Who has five good defensive tackles? When do we play them? October? Not August.

Auburn is just jealous they don't have DT like Philon, hodge, marks, and jackson

JansterZ71

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Auburn has 5 good DT's.  I said good not great.   Auburn had a top DL last year and only lost one starter so it's not a stretch.  Just because you hate Auburn doesn't mean you can't give credit where credit is due.  Philon is a very good player and would probably play for any SEC team.  I wish we had given him a spot but we couldn't.