Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Article on CBB

Started by Al Boarland, August 06, 2014, 09:49:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

trashcan maN

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 06, 2014, 11:53:44 am
Houston Nutt was a buffoon and a weasel.  Bobby Petrino was a weasel.  John L. Smith was a buffoon.

This made me laugh. Only Arkansas can have 3 consecutive head coaches that are total caricatures. I wish someone would draw up a cartoon about these 3 goons.

razorbackkid

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 06, 2014, 01:55:52 pm
This made me laugh. Only Arkansas can have 3 consecutive head coaches that are total caricatures. I wish someone would draw up a cartoon about these 3 goons.

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

ifghog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 06, 2014, 01:52:38 pm
Way to blow two anecdotes out of proportion. You are a prime example of someone who can't let anyone say something positive without feeling like you have to offset it with something irrelevant or distorted or fabricated.
Thank you for saying that!

Atlhogfan1

My only complaint so far is the comments he has made.  I wish he had waited till we were competitive again at least.  But I also admire him for having a belief in something and the courage to state it.  I guess one could pick at things like the risks he took last season although I understood them in the context he was trying to create a break for a team that struggled to create its own. 

And I do agree that Wisconsin did not face quite the depth of competition we do.  But he also couldn't recruit as well to Wisconsin as he can at Arkansas.  Location and academics made it different there than Arkansas.  So I have some belief that he can build just as talented if not more talented teams at Arkansas.  He came from 3 programs, Iowa, K St and Wisconsin, where they had to develop lower rated recruits than did OU, Texas, Oh St, Mich, Penn St.  This fits Arkansas.  It just may not mean more wins and certainly not the championships he had at Wisconsin.

And I finally like having a coach again that appears to at least have a chance to build a winning foundation.  Our program hasn't had the stability or focus on this much since Broyles.  It is also good to have a coach we can seemingly trust as well in terms of his focus will be on what is best for the program.  He can be trusted to make staff changes and treat people professionally, treat the players well, recruit disciplined smart players who will show it on and off the field.  I'm good with him as our coach and hope he makes it.  And no, I don't have a personal attachment to him.  If it becomes obvious we need to part ways, I will have no issue saying so.  The good thing about hiring professionals like Bielema where you aren't tied politically or personally like we were with a recent coach and have headed down the path again with another one of our programs, is change can be made when it is time even if it comes with a hefty pricetag.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Biggus Piggus

Why are some people so sensitive about what Bielema says? Just because some guys write about it doesn't mean it matters.
[CENSORED]!

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 06, 2014, 01:52:38 pm
Way to blow two anecdotes out of proportion. You are a prime example of someone who can't let anyone say something positive without feeling like you have to offset it with something irrelevant or distorted or fabricated.

^ This!!!

bp

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on August 06, 2014, 10:31:39 am
Everything ever has a "caveat".  Cam Newton might be the biggest caveat that's ever been.  Vince Young is a close second.  Bama caught breaks every year it won- remember when they didn't play in the SEC championship game but still won the NC championship?  How about USC and the Reggie Bush scandal?  Ohio State and the phantom pass interference?  If we'd hired Gary Patterson, his caveat would be that he never played a big time schedule.  If we'd hired Mike Gundy- where's the defense and isn't OSU under investigation?  LSU lost two games and miraculously backed into their last title.  Auburn last year?  Talk about miraculous.  People would gripe about Bob Stoops if he coached here because he hasn't won a title since 2000.  Even though he's won a title and been to half-a-dozen BCS games!!!

My point here is that nothing is ever perfect- or as perfect as it may seem.  If we're competing for championships every year, we're in good shape.  We'll have hope and excitement and that's what makes college football fun.
+1 Thanks for that post

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 06, 2014, 02:15:20 pm
Why are some people so sensitive about what Bielema says? Just because some guys write about it doesn't mean it matters.

Because he doesn't pass it 50 times a game, or run the HUNH. Thus, he isn't their man to be our coach, so they hammer away and think it actually matters.

Westcoasthog

Great articles we can only hope that Coach Bret Bielema will restore the Hogs to glory in this 2014 football season.

bphi11ips

I knew I liked the guy, but that sealed the deal.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2014, 03:07:02 pm
Because he doesn't pass it 50 times a game, or run the HUNH. Thus, he isn't their man to be our coach, so they hammer away and think it actually matters.

Biggus was at least partially directing his reply to my post which if you would have read contradicts everything you post.

I'm not sensitive to what Bielema says.  I agree with a lot of it and find it admirable that he has the courage to take his stances and I'm proud of the way he usually delivers his thoughts.  Ford and Petrino weren't the most dynamic of speakers to say the least although Bobby did deliver answers and Nutt was a rambling moron.  It is refreshing to have Bielema represent us.

What I am though as a Hog football fan and UA alum is beaten down and weary at this point.  It has been going on 8+ years now going back to Gus/Nutt of the media outside of Arkansas at least somewhat paying attention to our program.  We went through the Nutt circus which ended with the fans portrayed as evil.  Then we hire Petrino.  Living in Atlanta those years were tough but I defended him and our program.  Like with Bielema, many statements by "media" members are inaccurate or misleading and it leads others who follow college football to have a wrong perception.  Then we have the Petrino meltdown and JLS era.  More focus from the media even down to some USA Today writer having a weird obsession with JLS' bankruptcy.  I know, ignore it or dismiss it.  Well I have.  I read and listen to much less college football talk than I once did.  Or don't be so sensitive to what is said.  I'm not usually.  But with the constant defending and explaining and hearing your alma mater criticized or ridiculed, darn gets old. 

I'm not sensitive to what Bielema says.  Again, I respect him for who he is.  I just would have liked for our program and him to have been a little more low key and more out of the spotlight for at least a short time - the first time in a long long time.  Take a break and get things fixed and be competitive before we return to the spotlight.  Make Saban do the talking as he should have a bully pulpit.  Its a selfish way to look at it as Bielema is passionate about his causes but give us a break from having to either sit back and tolerate the coverage, avoid it while missing other college football coverage or defending our coach, program, university and fans as it has been pretty non stop for years.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 06, 2014, 03:27:15 pm
Biggus was at least partially directing his reply to my post which if you would have read contradicts everything you post.

I'm not sensitive to what Bielema says.  I agree with a lot of it and find it admirable that he has the courage to take his stances and I'm proud of the way he usually delivers his thoughts.  Ford and Petrino weren't the most dynamic of speakers to say the least although Bobby did deliver answers and Nutt was a rambling moron.  It is refreshing to have Bielema represent us.

What I am though as a Hog football fan and UA alum is beaten down and weary at this point.  It has been going on 8+ years now going back to Gus/Nutt of the media outside of Arkansas at least somewhat paying attention to our program.  We went through the Nutt circus which ended with the fans portrayed as evil.  Then we hire Petrino.  Living in Atlanta those years were tough but I defended him and our program.  Like with Bielema, many statements by "media" members are inaccurate or misleading and it leads others who follow college football to have a wrong perception.  Then we have the Petrino meltdown and JLS era.  More focus from the media even down to some USA Today writer having a weird obsession with JLS' bankruptcy.  I know, ignore it or dismiss it.  Well I have.  I read and listen to much less college football talk than I once did.  Or don't be so sensitive to what is said.  I'm not usually.  But with the constant defending and explaining and hearing your alma mater criticized or ridiculed, darn gets old. 

I'm not sensitive to what Bielema says.  Again, I respect him for who he is.  I just would have liked for our program and him to have been a little more low key and more out of the spotlight for at least a short time - the first time in a long long time.  Take a break and get things fixed and be competitive before we return to the spotlight.  Make Saban do the talking as he should have a bully pulpit.  Its a selfish way to look at it as Bielema is passionate about his causes but give us a break from having to either sit back and tolerate the coverage, avoid it while missing other college football coverage or defending our coach, program, university and fans as it has been pretty non stop for years.

I was answering Biggus question, my post goes to all who hammer away. Bret wasn't my first choice, I loved the results we had we BP, and I too am an alum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some post the same drivel in every thread like it will change things, you and I both know it won't.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Piggfoot on August 06, 2014, 11:12:17 am
I had not heard of Bobby Petrino---knew nothing about him. I had hoped he would start on a plan similar to that of Coach Bielema's---he didn't.
Instead he took a team based on some of the finest athletes Arkansas has ever produced at one time and made Arkansas relevant. But, he didn't build on that team. Why? I don't know. Maybe he thought Arkansas would continue producing athletes in the numbers and quality of his first year. He didn't study history.
Bielema has been there and knows what it takes to build a team in Arkansas.
He did in Wisconsin what he knows he has to to here---out work other coaches and recruit corn fed like boys from the midwest and make giants out of them. I believe if he had been here a couple of years before Tenpenny left for Bama. Tenpenny would have never left.
We have no clue how BP would have done, and it's irrelevant anyway.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 06, 2014, 11:36:25 am
Yet, his resume as a head coach wasn't as good as Coach Bielema's.
Debateable, considering BP had won a BCS bowl and coached in the NFL. But again, and I have said this many times, Ia m not talking about BP I am talking about CBB. So, why keep bringing up BP?

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 06, 2014, 01:12:51 pm
UH you do realize that doing something that hadn't been done since 1976 3 back to back championships is being dominate . Your trying to cast him as a average at best coach and failing miserably . 3 back to backs is special in an AQ conference i don't care which one either
I agree. I was the one saying it could be considered dominate. I never tried to cast him as an average coach and those words were never typed. I said that I was concerned by his records at UW when playing top 25 teams and in big bowl games. Why is this so hard to understand and why is it not a legitimate concern?

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: hawgwash on August 06, 2014, 01:14:17 pm
Yes, losing three BCS bowl games in ssuccessive years is indeed a concerning pattern.  I'm trying to remember the last time the Razorback program was that dismal.  Must have been a long time ago, because I can't even remember that ever happening to us.
LOL, man people totally deflect by changing the subject or using some comparison that has no bearing. The hogs do have a very very poor bowl record. I'd love that to change.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 06, 2014, 04:11:27 pm
LOL, man people totally deflect by changing the subject or using some comparison that has no bearing.

Ironic poster is ironic.

bp

Al Boarland

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2014, 11:04:11 am
So, you wouldn't be happy with 3 SEC titles, no matter how they came? Good God people, give it some time, we haven't even played a game in his second season yet. If we suck/don't improve, he will be let go, but everyone deserves more than one season. What good does it do to constantly hammer him or the program, you aren't going to change it any.

Of course I would be as I'm sure CBB is happy with his accomplishments.  That doesn't change anything in my previous post.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: GolfnHog on August 06, 2014, 01:41:48 pm
If you want to revisit history can you give me any AR coaches in the past 15 years that consistently beat Alabama, Georgia & Florida? That's right, none of them. Which proves the point, past performances don't necessarily reflect positive or negative gains in the future.
I disagree, to an extent. First off, we havn't been consistent since Saban has been at Bama, but we have had some success before then with wins and at least being competetive. As far as georgia and florida, well we do not play them too often anyway since they are in the East. I am more concerned with West teams, which is the strong since these days compared to the East.

I do think past performances can tell you something, at least recent ones. Past performace is how CBB got the job.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 06, 2014, 02:08:09 pm
My only complaint so far is the comments he has made.  I wish he had waited till we were competitive again at least.  But I also admire him for having a belief in something and the courage to state it.  I guess one could pick at things like the risks he took last season although I understood them in the context he was trying to create a break for a team that struggled to create its own. 

And I do agree that Wisconsin did not face quite the depth of competition we do.  But he also couldn't recruit as well to Wisconsin as he can at Arkansas.  Location and academics made it different there than Arkansas.  So I have some belief that he can build just as talented if not more talented teams at Arkansas.  He came from 3 programs, Iowa, K St and Wisconsin, where they had to develop lower rated recruits than did OU, Texas, Oh St, Mich, Penn St.  This fits Arkansas.  It just may not mean more wins and certainly not the championships he had at Wisconsin.

And I finally like having a coach again that appears to at least have a chance to build a winning foundation.  Our program hasn't had the stability or focus on this much since Broyles.  It is also good to have a coach we can seemingly trust as well in terms of his focus will be on what is best for the program.  He can be trusted to make staff changes and treat people professionally, treat the players well, recruit disciplined smart players who will show it on and off the field.  I'm good with him as our coach and hope he makes it.  And no, I don't have a personal attachment to him.  If it becomes obvious we need to part ways, I will have no issue saying so.  The good thing about hiring professionals like Bielema where you aren't tied politically or personally like we were with a recent coach and have headed down the path again with another one of our programs, is change can be made when it is time even if it comes with a hefty pricetag.

Good post. I agree with much of what you said. Much of those things are said about every coach when they first start, though. The same things were said of Nutt and of BP when they first showed up. However, I do agree that his background at a school in a state that does have similar recruiting difficulties as we do can be an advantage.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 06, 2014, 04:17:38 pm
Ironic poster is ironic.

bp
Love your addition to the discussion

Biggus Piggus

LOL, man people totally deflect by changing the subject or using some comparison that has no bearing. The hogs do have a very very poor bowl record. I'd love that to change.

The Hogs' bowl record is mainly a product of usually having been paired with a higher-rated opponent. We've not lost many bowls in which we were favored. Nutt was the one with that problem.
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 06, 2014, 10:39:43 am
So, what' the difference in almost winning and barely winning?

Oh, wait, nevermind.

bp

Auburn barely won several games last year and relied on the mistakes of other teams to help them win. Funny thing is, no one talks about this when it comes to celebrating Auburn's level of success in 2013.
Go Hogs Go!

lefty08

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 06, 2014, 10:39:39 am
I did love having what most experts and college football fans would consider a top 5 coach nationally. I loved the wins and the excitement he brought to a fan base that just got over the Nutt years. So, yea I did love having BP as coach. Time will tell if I love CBB. As of now, I am reserving love or hate until I see more.

There is nothing reserved about your posts. Reads like your mind is made up. I feel sorry for the likes of you. Pessimism is like a drug, brings you and everyone around u down. Smile!
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

hawgwash

That's pathetic.  I didn't change the subject or use a comparison that has no bearing.  The "concerning pattern" was your phrase, not mine.  I just repeated it  The essence of your post was to minimize Bielema's track record at Wisconsin.  My response went to the very heart of your position.  I just used sarcasm as a tool to show how ridiculous your position is.

WashUhog6

I've seen more of the Bielema resume dissection in this thread that's plagued Hogville since his announcement as our new head coach in December 2012. I can't imagine there's a coach in the country who, in 7 seasons, averaged 10 wins per year, went to three Rose Bowls, and won three conference championships all in a power conference.

Winning in the Big Ten isn't good enough for not just some Arkansas fans, but college football fans across  the nation. So let's clear some things up. All data was obtained from www.sports-reference.com/cfb/

In 2010-2012, Wisconsin played an average of 3.33 ranked Big Ten teams per year opposed to only 2 per year in 2006-2009 (all rankings are at the time the teams played). Bielema also beat every Big Ten team other than Penn State, Ohio State, and Nebraska (only two years in the conference) at least three times. Yeah, he got 14 of his wins against Minnesota and Indiana. But Minnesota and Indiana are also the only Big Ten teams other than Michigan State--due to a championship game matchup--that Wisconsin played at least 7 times during Bielema's stay (also note that Minnesota and Indiana were the only teams that appeared on the Badgers' schedule each year). They played Ohio State 6 times, and everyone else 5 or less.

He has winning records against 8 of the 11 Big Ten opponents Wisconsin faced, with a record of 2-3 and 3-4 versus Penn State and Michigan State, respectively. His losses in the Badgers' 2012 campaign against those teams are the only difference between being .500 and above against every Big Ten team other than Ohio State.

Yeah, the 2012 Big Ten championship is one that is a bit tainted by Ohio State's post-season ban--though I imagine if we had won the SEC in 2002 everyone here would still be counting it. You have to admit, though, that the 70-31 drubbing over a 10-2, top 15 Nebraska team is extremely impressive. 2012 notwithstanding, these non-objective attempts to undermine his 2010 and 2011 championships are ridiculous and only exist as a means to criticize a highly successful coach.

In 2010 Wisconsin more than earned their championship by beating Ohio State--a win that *earned* Wisconsin the tiebreaker--and going 11-1. In 2011, the Badgers again earned it. Yeah, they had a bad loss to Ohio State (many conference champions have a blemish, for what it's worth). But then they earned it again on the field by winning the championship game against 11th ranked Michigan State.

And for good measure, let's not forget his 12 win team that beat us in the 2007 Capital One Bowl. We went 7-1 in the SEC that year, had a lot of talent, and Wisconsin still beat us on the field.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: lefty08 on August 06, 2014, 05:48:02 pm
There is nothing reserved about your posts. Reads like your mind is made up. I feel sorry for the likes of you. Pessimism is like a drug, brings you and everyone around u down. Smile!
My mind is not made up. And don't tell me to smile. It brings back bad memories.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: hawgwash on August 06, 2014, 09:01:40 pm
That's pathetic.  I didn't change the subject or use a comparison that has no bearing.  The "concerning pattern" was your phrase, not mine.  I just repeated it  The essence of your post was to minimize Bielema's track record at Wisconsin.  My response went to the very heart of your position.  I just used sarcasm as a tool to show how ridiculous your position is.
Hardly pathetic. This type of post brings nothing to a decent discussion.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: WashUhog6 on August 06, 2014, 09:59:15 pm
I've seen more of the Bielema resume dissection in this thread that's plagued Hogville since his announcement as our new head coach in December 2012. I can't imagine there's a coach in the country who, in 7 seasons, averaged 10 wins per year, went to three Rose Bowls, and won three conference championships all in a power conference.

Winning in the Big Ten isn't good enough for not just some Arkansas fans, but college football fans across  the nation. So let's clear some things up. All data was obtained from www.sports-reference.com/cfb/

In 2010-2012, Wisconsin played an average of 3.33 ranked Big Ten teams per year opposed to only 2 per year in 2006-2009 (all rankings are at the time the teams played). Bielema also beat every Big Ten team other than Penn State, Ohio State, and Nebraska (only two years in the conference) at least three times. Yeah, he got 14 of his wins against Minnesota and Indiana. But Minnesota and Indiana are also the only Big Ten teams other than Michigan State--due to a championship game matchup--that Wisconsin played at least 7 times during Bielema's stay (also note that Minnesota and Indiana were the only teams that appeared on the Badgers' schedule each year). They played Ohio State 6 times, and everyone else 5 or less.

He has winning records against 8 of the 11 Big Ten opponents Wisconsin faced, with a record of 2-3 and 3-4 versus Penn State and Michigan State, respectively. His losses in the Badgers' 2012 campaign against those teams are the only difference between being .500 and above against every Big Ten team other than Ohio State.

Yeah, the 2012 Big Ten championship is one that is a bit tainted by Ohio State's post-season ban--though I imagine if we had won the SEC in 2002 everyone here would still be counting it. You have to admit, though, that the 70-31 drubbing over a 10-2, top 15 Nebraska team is extremely impressive. 2012 notwithstanding, these non-objective attempts to undermine his 2010 and 2011 championships are ridiculous and only exist as a means to criticize a highly successful coach.

In 2010 Wisconsin more than earned their championship by beating Ohio State--a win that *earned* Wisconsin the tiebreaker--and going 11-1. In 2011, the Badgers again earned it. Yeah, they had a bad loss to Ohio State (many conference champions have a blemish, for what it's worth). But then they earned it again on the field by winning the championship game against 11th ranked Michigan State.

And for good measure, let's not forget his 12 win team that beat us in the 2007 Capital One Bowl. We went 7-1 in the SEC that year, had a lot of talent, and Wisconsin still beat us on the field.
Great post. This is the kind of stuff that brings me hope. Thanks for presenting facts rather than attacks

WashUhog6

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 06, 2014, 10:57:29 pm
Great post. This is the kind of stuff that brings me hope. Thanks for presenting facts rather than attacks
Not a problem; I'm glad to help. I understand your concerns about Coach Bielema, but I do feel that his resume stands up under scrutiny. A lot of the bad things you hear about Bielema come from scorned Big Ten or Wisconsin fans who say things like "he beat up on Minnesota and Indiana to get all of his wins!" What they don't tell you is that those are the only two schools he played every season in Madison. Much of the bad rep that Bielema has received comes from fans not always telling the whole story, similar to the above example.

It's tough to sift through all of the BS. The only reason I have is because I grew tired of it one night while reading another forum so I took the time to go through every detail I could find.

Atlhogfan1

I've seen that Cap One Bowl mentioned a couple of times.  The Hogs defense dominated that game.  Our defensive front embarrassed the Wisconsin line including Thomas.  It was as impressive as the 2000 Cotton Bowl and one of the best we have had in a bowl game.  DMac and Felix were both playing injured.  DMac wasn't close to 100% thanks partly to some horsecollar tackles.  Wisconsin managed to win the game because we of course had little passing game to go to in order to overcome DMac's health.  DMac scores on that first possession if healthy.  Instead we end up with a missed FG.  We blocked a punt but had a weird penalty negate it.  Wisconsin did win the game but I don't know that it was a coaching victory.  Herring did a great job against that Wisky running game. 

I BLEED RBack RED

The 3 things I can't live without are family, my razorbacks, and beer (not in any particular order).

The Boar War

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 06, 2014, 11:12:24 pm
We blocked a punt but had a weird penalty negate it.

Punt was blocked but the Wiscy punter retrieved the ball and threw for the first down.  However there was an intelligible man down field.  To take away the first down we had to accept the penalty.  They rekicked and we lost about 50 yards.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The Boar War on August 07, 2014, 12:00:02 am
Punt was blocked but the Wiscy punter retrieved the ball and threw for the first down.  However there was an intelligible man down field.  To take away the first down we had to accept the penalty.  They rekicked and we lost about 50 yards.

Yep. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 06, 2014, 11:12:24 pm
I've seen that Cap One Bowl mentioned a couple of times.  The Hogs defense dominated that game.  Our defensive front embarrassed the Wisconsin line including Thomas.  It was as impressive as the 2000 Cotton Bowl and one of the best we have had in a bowl game.  DMac and Felix were both playing injured.  DMac wasn't close to 100% thanks partly to some horsecollar tackles.  Wisconsin managed to win the game because we of course had little passing game to go to in order to overcome DMac's health.  DMac scores on that first possession if healthy.  Instead we end up with a missed FG.  We blocked a punt but had a weird penalty negate it.  Wisconsin did win the game but I don't know that it was a coaching victory.  Herring did a great job against that Wisky running game. 

Wasn't a coaching victory? Good lord. Their defense completely shut us down. You can make excuses about McFadden and Jones. McFadden's first run went 45 yards. But we couldn't score from the 9-yard line, and then we missed a field goal from that distance. BTW he had a sore ankle. Nothing at all was wrong with Jones. He had 150 yards on 14 carries. That's outstanding.

The one who was broken was Casey Dick, 9-21 for 98 yards. Nutt got so desperate, he put Mitch Mustain in the game, the player he was trying to blackball + who had gotten hardly any practice reps since the South Carolina game.

Not a coaching victory? Selective memory. Wisconsin wasn't the team with outstanding skill position players, nobody close to being a Heisman candidate, but their defense allowed 12 ppg.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 06, 2014, 10:55:27 pm
My mind is not made up. And don't tell me to smile. It brings back bad memories.
[CENSORED]!

tophawg19

i'll take the '' tainted '' SEC WEST  championship [ bama inelgible ] that we have because they were cheating to get the players to win. Same goes for Wisconsin and Ohio St . Had OSU  not been cheating . they might not have beaten Wisky in the first place
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

Bowl wins mean little . It doesn't tell who the best team is . Just who got the most out of the 4 weeks off and who caught the breaks . those teams might play 5 times and the bowl winner only get that 1 win . Some coaches prepare better than others for bowls
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 07, 2014, 08:32:12 am
Wasn't a coaching victory? Good lord. Their defense completely shut us down. You can make excuses about McFadden and Jones. McFadden's first run went 45 yards. But we couldn't score from the 9-yard line, and then we missed a field goal from that distance. BTW he had a sore ankle. Nothing at all was wrong with Jones. He had 150 yards on 14 carries. That's outstanding.

The one who was broken was Casey Dick, 9-21 for 98 yards. Nutt got so desperate, he put Mitch Mustain in the game, the player he was trying to blackball + who had gotten hardly any practice reps since the South Carolina game.

Not a coaching victory? Selective memory. Wisconsin wasn't the team with outstanding skill position players, nobody close to being a Heisman candidate, but their defense allowed 12 ppg.
If I remember right, we doubled Uw in offensive yardage, but lost the game. That is typically due to errors, turnovers, and poor coaching. I felt like UA and UW were pretty evening matched and it was a close and good game. I blame the loss on Nutt more than try to take the win from CBB. CBB did his homework and forced us to pass.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 07, 2014, 09:09:50 am
Bowl wins mean little . It doesn't tell who the best team is . Just who got the most out of the 4 weeks off and who caught the breaks . those teams might play 5 times and the bowl winner only get that 1 win . Some coaches prepare better than others for bowls
Bowl wins mean a lot IMO. They give a feel about going into the off season and create excitment for next year. Also, they have been used for some time now to determine who is national champion.

Dirty

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 06, 2014, 10:18:20 am
If you read the comments, the first one says this:
It should be pointed out that his 3 Big Ten league titles and 3 straight Rose Bowls came with caveats. 2010: They were a Co-Champion with Michigan St. Ended in a 3 way tie at the top after beating Ohio State but losing to Michigan St. Lost the Rose Bowl 2011: Lost to the worst Ohio St team in decades, lost to Michigan St in the regular season and barely beat them in the Big Ten championship. Again, lost in the Rose Bowl. 2012: Didn't even win their division, 7-5 in the regular season, beat a bad Nebraska team in the Big Ten championship. Again, lost in the Rose Bowl. I'm not saying Wisconsin didn't win the titles, they just weren't the all dominant team they are sometimes made out to be during that period.

Those are the exact reasons I worry. I am just not convinced. But I am willing to give him time because I really dont have a choice anyway.

So, when Arkansas went in 2002 it didn't count?  Alabama was on probation and was actually first in the west. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 07, 2014, 08:32:12 am

Good lord is right.  Not when Reggie Herring comes up with a defensive plan that dominated their supposedly great oline with Joe Thomas.  The Hogs had 6 sacks and held Hill to 36 yards.  You seem to be revising history now to make some unnecessary defense of Bielema.  I get we seem to be on a campaign to defend him and I understand given some of the posts here.  But its unnecessary to defend him to me.  You can choose to downplay Darren's injury, call it an excuse and believe a Wisconsin db could run him down in the open field.  I know you are smarter than that.  But this plays better into the unnecessary defense. 

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 07, 2014, 10:01:13 am
If I remember right, we doubled Uw in offensive yardage, but lost the game. That is typically due to errors, turnovers, and poor coaching. I felt like UA and UW were pretty evening matched and it was a close and good game. I blame the loss on Nutt more than try to take the win from CBB. CBB did his homework and forced us to pass.

Nutt's passing game barely went for a 100 yards, we missed a FG and had 12 penalties.  These along with Darren's ankle were just enough to offset what Herring's plan did to the Wisconsin offense.