Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Article on CBB

Started by Al Boarland, August 06, 2014, 09:49:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

three hog night

the reason for the affection runs deeper than that. It's the belief that, finally, someone is in charge who holds his chin up high, looks you dead in eye and shoots it straight when he tells you what his plan is. The Bobby Petrino scandal in April 2012 and the abject ineptitude displayed by John L. Smith during the woebegone 2012 season -- a campaign that many close to the program believed would end in a BCS bowl, not a 4-8 implosion -- still are fresh wounds in Fayetteville. This has provided Bielema with two rare things in college football: time and patience from the fan base. 

"I've got a plan and it's working,' Bielema says. "I knew last year was going to be tough, because we brought in new philosophies. But I have a proven formula for success. Man, the formula won three Big Ten titles. It's working here. It is. You'll see. People outside the program can't see it yet. But they will. There is zero doubt in my mind."
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: three hog night on August 06, 2014, 09:52:19 am
the reason for the affection runs deeper than that. It's the belief that, finally, someone is in charge who holds his chin up high, looks you dead in eye and shoots it straight when he tells you what his plan is. The Bobby Petrino scandal in April 2012 and the abject ineptitude displayed by John L. Smith during the woebegone 2012 season -- a campaign that many close to the program believed would end in a BCS bowl, not a 4-8 implosion -- still are fresh wounds in Fayetteville. This has provided Bielema with two rare things in college football: time and patience from the fan base. 

"I've got a plan and it's working,' Bielema says. "I knew last year was going to be tough, because we brought in new philosophies. But I have a proven formula for success. Man, the formula won three Big Ten titles. It's working here. It is. You'll see. People outside the program can't see it yet. But they will. There is zero doubt in my mind."

I definitely think we are starting to see it.  we have the staff, we just need the time.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

If you read the comments, the first one says this:
It should be pointed out that his 3 Big Ten league titles and 3 straight Rose Bowls came with caveats. 2010: They were a Co-Champion with Michigan St. Ended in a 3 way tie at the top after beating Ohio State but losing to Michigan St. Lost the Rose Bowl 2011: Lost to the worst Ohio St team in decades, lost to Michigan St in the regular season and barely beat them in the Big Ten championship. Again, lost in the Rose Bowl. 2012: Didn't even win their division, 7-5 in the regular season, beat a bad Nebraska team in the Big Ten championship. Again, lost in the Rose Bowl. I'm not saying Wisconsin didn't win the titles, they just weren't the all dominant team they are sometimes made out to be during that period.

Those are the exact reasons I worry. I am just not convinced. But I am willing to give him time because I really dont have a choice anyway.

Biggus Piggus

Who made them out to be dominant? They just won and went to bowls every season.
[CENSORED]!

rljjr

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 06, 2014, 10:18:20 am
It should be pointed out that his 3 Big Ten league titles and 3 straight Rose Bowls came with caveats. 2010: They were a Co-Champion with Michigan St. Ended in a 3 way tie at the top after beating Ohio State but losing to Michigan St. Lost the Rose Bowl 2011: Lost to the worst Ohio St team in decades, lost to Michigan St in the regular season and barely beat them in the Big Ten championship. Again, lost in the Rose Bowl. 2012: Didn't even win their division, 7-5 in the regular season, beat a bad Nebraska team in the Big Ten championship. Again, lost in the Rose Bowl. I'm not saying Wisconsin didn't win the titles, they just weren't the all dominant team they are sometimes made out to be during that period.

Those are the exact reasons I worry. I am just not convinced. But I am willing to give him time because I really dont have a choice anyway.

"Barely beat" ... is what positive people call a win.

Peter Porker

I can, and have, point to lots of things former coaches have done (like beating Wake Forest to win a BCS bowl) to say, "what have they really done?" Or "only 2 conference championships in 9 years as a head coach...") that will make one question if they're any good.

No doubt you loved the former coach that won in Conference USA and the Big East. Guess what? Those conferences were much weaker than the Big 10.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

razorbackkid

Good read overall.  Long though.

I found the part about "treating our lineman like a princess" a bit odd.

:)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Everything ever has a "caveat".  Cam Newton might be the biggest caveat that's ever been.  Vince Young is a close second.  Bama caught breaks every year it won- remember when they didn't play in the SEC championship game but still won the NC championship?  How about USC and the Reggie Bush scandal?  Ohio State and the phantom pass interference?  If we'd hired Gary Patterson, his caveat would be that he never played a big time schedule.  If we'd hired Mike Gundy- where's the defense and isn't OSU under investigation?  LSU lost two games and miraculously backed into their last title.  Auburn last year?  Talk about miraculous.  People would gripe about Bob Stoops if he coached here because he hasn't won a title since 2000.  Even though he's won a title and been to half-a-dozen BCS games!!!

My point here is that nothing is ever perfect- or as perfect as it may seem.  If we're competing for championships every year, we're in good shape.  We'll have hope and excitement and that's what makes college football fun.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 06, 2014, 10:20:35 am
Who made them out to be dominant? They just won and went to bowls every season.
If you tell most people that a team won the conference and went to a BCS bowel three years straight, they might claim that is a measure of dominance.

IntegrityHog

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on August 06, 2014, 10:01:35 am
I definitely think we are starting to see it.  we have the staff, we just need the time.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Yep, he just needs a little time.  But I still think we can surprise people this year.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: rljjr on August 06, 2014, 10:22:10 am
"Barely beat" ... is what positive people call a win.
Way to cherry pick something. I  know a lot of people that like to talk about how we almost won against Miss St and LSU last year and use that as justification for showing improvement. And Ia m not saying it doesnt. As far as the comment, I am more interested in who UW beat, how they got the Rose Bowls, and how they lost all of them.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 06, 2014, 10:35:29 am
If you tell most people that a team won the conference and went to a BCS bowel three years straight, they might claim that is a measure of dominance.

So, you assume that people claim they were dominant?

Really?

bp

razorbackkid

Quote from: IntegrityHog on August 06, 2014, 10:36:42 am
Yep, he just needs a little time.  But I still think we can surprise people this year.
I think one of the surprises will be how physical we'll be on both sides of the ball.  That, in itself, may win us a couple games.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 06, 2014, 10:23:40 am
I can, and have, point to lots of things former coaches have done (like beating Wake Forest to win a BCS bowl) to say, "what have they really done?" Or "only 2 conference championships in 9 years as a head coach...") that will make one question if they're any good.

No doubt you loved the former coach that won in Conference USA and the Big East. Guess what? Those conferences were much weaker than the Big 10.

I did love having what most experts and college football fans would consider a top 5 coach nationally. I loved the wins and the excitement he brought to a fan base that just got over the Nutt years. So, yea I did love having BP as coach. Time will tell if I love CBB. As of now, I am reserving love or hate until I see more.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 06, 2014, 10:37:30 am
Way to cherry pick something. I  know a lot of people that like to talk about how we almost won against Miss St and LSU last year and use that as justification for showing improvement. And Ia m not saying it doesnt. As far as the comment, I am more interested in who UW beat, how they got the Rose Bowls, and how they lost all of them.

So, what' the difference in almost winning and barely winning?

Oh, wait, nevermind.

bp

hawgsalot

Please those are the worst excuses to minimize success that I've ever seen.  I mean come on beat number 1 OSU to win the Big 10, the same team that beat us in the sugar.   Give it a rest and understand that people who have been around winning culture and have had success usually find a way to achieve the same success or more.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on August 06, 2014, 10:31:39 am
Everything ever has a "caveat".  Cam Newton might be the biggest caveat that's ever been.  Vince Young is a close second.  Bama caught breaks every year it won- remember when they didn't play in the SEC championship game but still won the NC championship?  How about USC and the Reggie Bush scandal?  Ohio State and the phantom pass interference?  If we'd hired Gary Patterson, his caveat would be that he never played a big time schedule.  If we'd hired Mike Gundy- where's the defense and isn't OSU under investigation?  LSU lost two games and miraculously backed into their last title.  Auburn last year?  Talk about miraculous.  People would gripe about Bob Stoops if he coached here because he hasn't won a title since 2000.  Even though he's won a title and been to half-a-dozen BCS games!!!

My point here is that nothing is ever perfect- or as perfect as it may seem.  If we're competing for championships every year, we're in good shape.  We'll have hope and excitement and that's what makes college football fun.

You're right. And I see hwat you're saying. Thing I notice is, msot of your examples are breaks teams got that ended up bringing big wins. Everyone needs breaks to win big. UW had breaks to win their conference, but also never beat the "good" Big Ten teams and even though they made to those Rose Bowls, they lost them.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 06, 2014, 10:37:52 am
So, you assume that people claim they were dominant?

Really?

bp

No. I never said that. I said that it makes sense if you present a team that way that a person might say that was dominant. If I didnt tell you the team or the confernce and just said, "Team X won their conference three years in a row and went to three straight Rose bowls, something that hasnt been done in 40 years." Would you be surprised if he said that team X was dominant in their conference during that time period?

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 06, 2014, 10:39:43 am
So, what' the difference in almost winning and barely winning?

Oh, wait, nevermind.

bp

Man, you guys really knit-pick at things that are really not that relevant. Barely won, almost won, potato, tomato. I am concerned about the pattern of who UW beat, how they won their conference, and how they lost three straight Rose bowls.

1highhog

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 06, 2014, 09:49:52 am
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/88095792/despite-2013s-struggles-arkansas-still-has-faith-in-coach-bret-bielema#!bxbYL6

Thoughts?

Any fan that wouldn't have faith after the dumpster fire that CBB inherited last year is just not a fan of wanting success for the UofA.  There were many predicting 8-9 wins last year, pipe dreams.  All they had to do was look at the bad shape of the roster left behind by two long gone Coaches.  I predicted 5 wins, I was off by one.  We will improve this year, but not by the unrealistic expectations some have set.  I predict a 5-7, with the outside shot of going 6-6, that should get CBB SEC Coach of the year honors.  The progress we will see will be in fundamentals, we're still not all there yet, next year will be a measuring stick as far as seeing just how far this team has come.  Let's see how many will drop off the bandwagon this year though.

Al Boarland

Those are the facts.  It's similar to UGA being the big dog in the East.  The East has been down.  Doesn't mean the team isn't good, but you have to consider the competitive environment.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: hawgsalot on August 06, 2014, 10:40:48 am
Please those are the worst excuses to minimize success that I've ever seen.  I mean come on beat number 1 OSU to win the Big 10, the same team that beat us in the sugar.   Give it a rest and understand that people who have been around winning culture and have had success usually find a way to achieve the same success or more.

how are those bad excuses? They are facts. Yes, UW did beat that OSU team in 2010. But how many other times did they beat them? Or other ranked teams in the Big Ten? All I am saying is it is a concern. Never said CBB sucked or he is going to fail. I just think that is a concerning pattern.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 06, 2014, 10:42:26 am
You're right. And I see hwat you're saying. Thing I notice is, msot of your examples are breaks teams got that ended up bringing big wins. Everyone needs breaks to win big. UW had breaks to win their conference, but also never beat the "good" Big Ten teams and even though they made to those Rose Bowls, they lost them.

Did you know under the 4 years of the previous coach we only beat 3 teams TOTAL IN FOUR YEARS with a 5-3 or better conference record and that was SCAR twice AND we didn't do that until year 3?

Yet, something tells me you were a fan of the previous coach as soon as he was hired.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

kingcam25

I thought it was a great article.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 06, 2014, 10:35:29 am

Doncha love typing on a phone?
[CENSORED]!

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 06, 2014, 10:55:53 am
Did you know under the 4 years of the previous coach we only beat 3 teams TOTAL IN FOUR YEARS with a 5-3 or better conference record and that was SCAR twice AND we didn't do that until year 3?

Yet, something tells me you were a fan of the previous coach as soon as he was hired.
Actually, I was a fan of the previosu coach as son as he was hired. Most people were. But what does that have to do with CBB and the discussion about his record at UW?

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 06, 2014, 10:48:05 am
Those are the facts.  It's similar to UGA being the big dog in the East.  The East has been down.  Doesn't mean the team isn't good, but you have to consider the competitive environment.

So, you wouldn't be happy with 3 SEC titles, no matter how they came? Good God people, give it some time, we haven't even played a game in his second season yet. If we suck/don't improve, he will be let go, but everyone deserves more than one season. What good does it do to constantly hammer him or the program, you aren't going to change it any.

GolfnHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2014, 11:04:11 am
So, you wouldn't be happy with 3 SEC titles, no matter how they came? Good God people, give it some time, we haven't even played a game in his second season yet. If we suck/don't improve, he will be let go, but everyone deserves more than one season. What good does it do to constantly hammer him or the program, you aren't going to change it any.

Brother Rice, you a preaching to rather large and deaf congregation but maybe the sign interpreter will improve the hand signs as the seasons progress.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Piggfoot

I had not heard of Bobby Petrino---knew nothing about him. I had hoped he would start on a plan similar to that of Coach Bielema's---he didn't.
Instead he took a team based on some of the finest athletes Arkansas has ever produced at one time and made Arkansas relevant. But, he didn't build on that team. Why? I don't know. Maybe he thought Arkansas would continue producing athletes in the numbers and quality of his first year. He didn't study history.
Bielema has been there and knows what it takes to build a team in Arkansas.
He did in Wisconsin what he knows he has to to here---out work other coaches and recruit corn fed like boys from the midwest and make giants out of them. I believe if he had been here a couple of years before Tenpenny left for Bama. Tenpenny would have never left.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 06, 2014, 11:01:24 am
Actually, I was a fan of the previosu coach as son as he was hired. Most people were. But what does that have to do with CBB and the discussion about his record at UW?

Yet, his resume as a head coach wasn't as good as Coach Bielema's.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Grizzlyfan

Houston Nutt was a buffoon and a weasel.  Bobby Petrino was a weasel.  John L. Smith was a buffoon.

At least with Bielema you seem to have a professional with a plan that he believes in.  Will the plan work here?  Who knows.  But from the perspective of having a coach you can respect he is a massive upgrade.

BorderPatrol

razorbackkid

HeismanHawg

Fantastic article...further reinforces my belief he will get the job done!

Hogwild

QuoteLong says softly. "In the past few years I had stopped coming by the football offices very often. He's made it fun. He's brought the joy back. He really has. He's brought the joy back ...

explains a lot, but I am surprised that Long would say that.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Hogwild on August 06, 2014, 12:51:51 pm

explains a lot, but I am surprised that Long would say that.
Yeah, I was surprised at that comment.  I don't know if that was a shot at Petrino or not, but it was odd.

tophawg19

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 06, 2014, 10:37:30 am
UH you do realize that doing something that hadn't been done since 1976 3 back to back championships is being dominate . Your trying to cast him as a average at best coach and failing miserably . 3 back to backs is special in an AQ conference i don't care which one either
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hawgwash

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 06, 2014, 10:49:39 am
how are those bad excuses? They are facts. Yes, UW did beat that OSU team in 2010. But how many other times did they beat them? Or other ranked teams in the Big Ten? All I am saying is it is a concern. Never said CBB sucked or he is going to fail. I just think that is a concerning pattern.
Yes, losing three BCS bowl games in ssuccessive years is indeed a concerning pattern.  I'm trying to remember the last time the Razorback program was that dismal.  Must have been a long time ago, because I can't even remember that ever happening to us.

Peter Porker

Quote from: hawgwash on August 06, 2014, 01:14:17 pm
Yes, losing three BCS bowl games in ssuccessive years is indeed a concerning pattern.  I'm trying to remember the last time the Razorback program was that dismal.  Must have been a long time ago, because I can't even remember that ever happening to us.

Nice.

bigbadhog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 06, 2014, 11:53:44 am
Houston Nutt was a buffoon and a weasel.  Bobby Petrino was a weasel.  John L. Smith was a buffoon.

At least with Bielema you seem to have a professional with a plan that he believes in.  Will the plan work here?  Who knows.  But from the perspective of having a coach you can respect he is a massive upgrade.

Disagree completely.  He can't keep his mouth shut until he wins one SEC game.  Clearly uses injuries/death as an excuse to slow down a style of football he dislikes and comes in talking smack about Saban's record in the Big 10...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

razorbackkid

Quote from: hawgwash on August 06, 2014, 01:14:17 pm
Quote from: Peter Porker on August 06, 2014, 01:19:53 pm
Nice.
Indeed.

Atlhogfan1

The link in the OP is a good reminder of why Bielema fits our program and is something some of us have repeated.  Too bad a discussion like this gets derailed so quickly.  Besides his first mentor being a former Broyles assistant and his childhood background allowing him to relate to our state, I think another key point is what your recruiting base can provide and what types of players your program has gotten historically.  Arkansas has a long history of getting standout RBs and we can get olinemen.  Sure there are other coaches who would fit for various reasons.  And Bielema may not succeed at Arkansas.  It is a very tough job due to what we face in terms of recruiting vs how our competition can recruit.  And when he took over and the state of the program made it even tougher.  A good coach could not only fail at Arkansas but have his career badly damaged in a situation like this. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GolfnHog

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 06, 2014, 10:49:39 am

If you want to revisit history can you give me any AR coaches in the past 15 years that consistently beat Alabama, Georgia & Florida? That's right, none of them. Which proves the point, past performances don't necessarily reflect positive or negative gains in the future.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

razorbackkid

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 06, 2014, 01:39:06 pm
The link in the OP is a good reminder of why Bielema fits our program and is something some of us have repeated.  Too bad a discussion like this gets derailed so quickly.  Besides his first mentor being a former Broyles assistant and his childhood background allowing him to relate to our state, I think another key point is what your recruiting base can provide and what types of players your program has gotten historically.  Arkansas has a long history of getting standout RBs and we can get olinemen.  Sure there are other coaches who would fit for various reasons.  And Bielema may not succeed at Arkansas.  It is a very tough job due to what we face in terms of recruiting vs how our competition can recruit.  And when he took over and the state of the program made it even tougher.  A good coach could not only fail at Arkansas but have his career badly damaged in a situation like this. 

This is why he'll get 5 or 6 years to right the ship....barring another completely dismal season or two.

GolfnHog

Quote from: bigbadhog on August 06, 2014, 01:22:32 pm
Disagree completely.  He can't keep his mouth shut until he wins one SEC game.  Clearly uses injuries/death as an excuse to slow down a style of football he dislikes and comes in talking smack about Saban's record in the Big 10...

Dont let the fact that he "manned up" and apologized(on the death issue) for the comments get in the way for your distain. Of course, you've never ever had anything you felt strongly about, yet may have spoken poorly on the matter?

I'll take CBB and his missteps in making comments because unlike a bunch of folks in this world, I at least know how he stands on a topic and isn't gonna be politically correct(in the broadest of terms) to be something he's not.

I appreciate people who say what they mean and mean what they say even if the translation of the message gets skewed in the delivery.

Biggus Piggus

Way to blow two anecdotes out of proportion. You are a prime example of someone who can't let anyone say something positive without feeling like you have to offset it with something irrelevant or distorted or fabricated.
[CENSORED]!

trashcan maN

LOL..You have posted this same thing in about 100 different ways since Bielema was hired. I specifically remember you being the most adamant anti-Bielema poster on this board the day of his hiring. Is this the only thing you care to say on this site? Just put it in your avatar and just post a period to save yourself some typing