Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's your favorite Razorback Band song?

Started by Augustus, August 05, 2014, 10:01:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite Razorback Band song?

Alma Mater
7 (5.6%)
Fight Song
38 (30.4%)
Hey Baby
5 (4%)
NFL Today
11 (8.8%)
Rock N' Roll
2 (1.6%)
Swing March
23 (18.4%)
William Tell Overture
34 (27.2%)
Other
5 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Augustus

If needed, here is a link that serves up audio for all of the titles:  http://www.hogcall.com/funstuff/music.asp

For me... it's "Swing March".

Tied for 2nd place is "NFL Today" & "Hey Baby"... Hearing NFL Today on a saturday on a crisp October day... it just personifies the excitement of a Hogs game in the fall.

And, hearing Hey Baby... takes me back to when I was a kid, going to games with my parents (who were also Alumns), and hearing them sing along with the band.  Them telling me "We've been singing along to this song at Hogs games for decades."  That, to me, is just as much tradition as the Hog Call.

I must say though, the "William Tell Overture + Hey Jude transition" is quickly becoming one of my favorites... It's awesome to see the kids have fun with it. I sat 1 row behind the band in the 2010 Hogs-LSU game, and to see those kids get into it... I was SOLD.

Your thoughts?

John Futrall

Love the fight song, but IMHO, they need to pick up the tempo a bit during the game intro (when th team takes the field). It seems a bit sluggish at a time when things should be a bit more "urgent"

fdx flyer

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

I have to put the Alma Mater and Fight Song in a separate special category, but then it's William Tell, Swing March and Rock N Roll.

Dr. Starcs

Oklahawg

NFL Today...but that is after the Alma Mater and Fight Song. Those are in a special category.

I like Holiday as one of the newer songs. I cannot stand the Hey Jude thingy. But, if the students somehow are mesmerized so be it.

It is that time, isn't it? Hearing the fight song on a radio ad will juice the blood pressure up just a bit.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

EastexHawg

hogfan58

I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

HamIAm

I really wish you hadn't done that.  I just had to click on the link to the NFL song, now I want to get out my band CD. After that I will be pumped and in shear misery knowing that kickoff is still 24 days away. ARRRGH!

Hog-Corleone

oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, lord it;s hard to be humble....
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Hawgndaaz

I guess the alma mater and the fight song. The rest are used by pretty much every other college band so they lack originality.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Augustus on August 05, 2014, 10:01:16 pm
If needed, here is a link that serves up audio for all of the titles:  http://www.hogcall.com/funstuff/music.asp

For me... it's "Swing March".

Tied for 2nd place is "NFL Today" & "Hey Baby"... Hearing NFL Today on a saturday on a crisp October day... it just personifies the excitement of a Hogs game in the fall.

And, hearing Hey Baby... takes me back to when I was a kid, going to games with my parents (who were also Alumns), and hearing them sing along with the band.  Them telling me "We've been singing along to this song at Hogs games for decades."  That, to me, is just as much tradition as the Hog Call.

I must say though, the "William Tell Overture + Hey Jude transition" is quickly becoming one of my favorites... It's awesome to see the kids have fun with it. I sat 1 row behind the band in the 2010 Hogs-LSU game, and to see those kids get into it... I was SOLD.

Your thoughts?

I'm a second on Swing March.  Not only is it catchy, it's uniquely Arkansas.  Fight song's also good. 

Tusk is also great, but it's also a USC band thing.

Nothing wrong with Hey Baby, William Tell, or Rock N' Roll, but lots of bands play those.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Jamie Jones

Voted Swing March because it has been my daughter's favorite since she was like 6 years old.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Jamie Jones

Also, Texas Tech plays one of "our" songs. Can't remember which one, it is been so long, but I think it is Swing March. We will know soon enough.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

yraciv

Quote from: hogfan58 on August 06, 2014, 08:03:51 am
Why wasn't "none" or "silence" an option?

Because we love college sports, and the band plays a huge part in that environment.

yraciv

Quote from: Jamie Jones on August 06, 2014, 10:22:05 am
Voted Swing March because it has been my daughter's favorite since she was like 6 years old.

Parents still do this? Is your favorite TV show something on Disney as well.  Obviously kidding because I don't have a kid.

John Futrall

Quote from: HamIAm on August 06, 2014, 09:50:23 am
I really wish you hadn't done that.  I just had to click on the link to the NFL song, now I want to get out my band CD. After that I will be pumped and in shear misery knowing that kickoff is still 24 days away. ARRRGH!

The_Iceman

I wish they would start picking up some of the more recognizable Movie/TV theme songs, like Game of Thrones, Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, etc.

razorbackkid

Whichever one they play after a win is always my favorite.  :)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

hogfan58

Quote from: yraciv on August 06, 2014, 10:45:54 am
Because we love college sports, and the band plays a huge part in that environment.

A good band certainly does.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Oklahawg

Quote from: hogfan58 on August 06, 2014, 01:17:42 pm
A good band certainly does.

RMB is light year's ahead of the Tim Gunter era bands. They are not back to the 78-88 era, which was the glory days era. They are getting there. Enjoy it for what it is. Hogwild band is night/day different and in a better way. They are intertwined - as one improves so should the other.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogfan58

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 06, 2014, 03:14:20 pm
RMB is light year's ahead of the Tim Gunter era bands. They are not back to the 78-88 era, which was the glory days era. They are getting there. Enjoy it for what it is. Hogwild band is night/day different and in a better way. They are intertwined - as one improves so should the other.

THE ohio state band director is still available....he would be a BIG upgrade.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hogfan58 on August 06, 2014, 04:12:45 pm

You may not know as much on the topics in this thread as you think you do. Be care what sleeping dog you kick ;)

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan58 on August 06, 2014, 04:12:45 pm

He's begging for his job back, we don't need him.

B0SSH0GG

Love the Fight song for traditional "band" songs but love their rendition of Green Day's "Holiday" they played for a few years
Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

Rzbakfromwaybak

Whatever they want to play after a touchdown.......just as long as we score, & do so often....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Ex-Trumpet

Out of all those great songs, the National Anthem with Marguerite Piazza is still one of my favorites!!  Forward to about the 8:00 mark!!

Story behind this...she was being a real vajayjay to everyone in rehearsal.  Unfortunately for her, she did not have perfect pitch and needed her starting note played to her by "an unknown source."  What transpired is one of the all-time epic Liberty Bowl National Anthems ever!!

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hogs07

The RMB will be playing War Pigs this year

Locutus_of_Boar

I like Swing March.  I just wish they'd play the complete Mancini arrangement:

https://www.google.com/#q=henry+mancini+swing+march

pigture perfect

Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble is another good one.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Music City Hog

Swing march and NFL Today make me remember being a kid!  I love that they still play these classics.

Ray Piggers

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

go hogues

Our pregame show still gives me chills. I'm 32 years old and always have to be AT MY SEAT, when the drum line comes out of the endzone playing their cadence, before that first Hog Call.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

ricepig

Quote from: go hogues on August 06, 2014, 09:21:45 pm
Our pregame show still gives me chills. I'm 32 years old and always have to be AT MY SEAT, when the drum line comes out of the endzone playing their cadence, before that first Hog Call.

I'm older than that, and I still enjoy it. This year, Tusk, the cheerleaders, and the band will enter the stadium at the 23:00 until kickoff, instead of an hour or whatever they used to do.

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2014, 10:14:15 pm
I'm older than that, and I still enjoy it. This year, Tusk, the cheerleaders, and the band will enter the stadium at the 23:00 until kickoff, instead of an hour or whatever they used to do.

I like that - makes their presence more noteworthy.

Oklahawg

BTW, thanks to whomever cleaned up the thread.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

longtimeHogfan

To know me is to love me.     Means we won :)     .....it's hard to be humble when you're an Arkansas Razorback fan!
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 06, 2014, 12:17:11 pm
I wish they would start picking up some of the more recognizable Movie/TV theme songs, like Game of Thrones, Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, etc.

Lord of the Rings would be cool--lots of low brass in that, which would be loud in the stadium.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Calvin Swine

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 06, 2014, 04:14:54 pm
You may not know as much on the topics in this thread as you think you do. Be care what sleeping dog you kick ;)

For those that want an interesting, and if you've been in the culture some might say funny, read here it is:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/05/ohio-state-sexual-director-fired_n_5649531.html

IMHO, from what I've read, the reasoning for his dismissal was hugely overblown based upon the band member's sexually provocative traditions.  Who knew college kids had mongo horny toad issues????

My wife and I were both in different major college bands.  There was always stuff like this to varying degrees.  I remember hearing of bands that prided themselves on having sex on the buses in the under-slung luggage bays and I also recall a group in my wife's band that would... we will call it room hopping on away trips, hitting as many rooms that wanted to partake.  It was wild, it was college and in retrospect now that I'm older  it was also dumb, but it's a sign of being that age.  As long as people aren't physically harmed or long term emotionally scarred (which I doubt would happen) it's fairly small potatoes.   

IMO it smells like the director could have been a victim of his own success.  YouTube viral fame isn't always good.  Band and Music departments are usually separate, but still under the same top admin.  If the band is taking more of the spotlight than the music department likes I've seen where the music department chairman has run off good staff doing good things out of jealousy.  I had my studio teacher who put together and directed an ensemble that was gaining a lot of national attention.  He was told to shut it down because it was taking too much focus away from the university's music program.

For those that haven't seen it check out this show, and if you're impatient just start watching at the 6:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNzOVxHhjmQ

LRrazorback

Can't think of the name but the one at the start of the 4th quarter when it starts off slow and they pop up the AR state flag.  May lead into swing song.  Not sure

RyeHogFan

Quote from: LRrazorback on August 07, 2014, 11:36:11 am
Can't think of the name but the one at the start of the 4th quarter when it starts off slow and they pop up the AR state flag.  May lead into swing song.  Not sure

It's something like "2001: A Space Odyssey". Definitely gives me chills when they hit the finale and the flags come up.

For me, I like William Tell. Me and my little boy do a little thing where he's on my shoulders and I bounce around singing the tune. My favorite part of course is when I get to the middle and he says, "Go Hogs." Outside of "I love you, daddy", those are the sweetest words I can hear.  :D

LRrazorback

Yes thank you Rye.

Thats my favorite.  Gives me chills as well.

Calvin Swine

Quote from: RyeHogFan on August 07, 2014, 11:47:15 am
It's something like "2001: A Space Odyssey". Definitely gives me chills when they hit the finale and the flags come up.

It's called "Also Sprach Zarathustra", but "2001: A Space Odyssey" is MUCH easier to say unless your German!   ;D