Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Korliss Marshall punt returner

Started by MO.Hog, August 05, 2014, 08:29:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MO.Hog

I can see this young man being an explosive returner. With his speed and quickness he could really turn some heads. I saw in his interview where he wants the spot. Is he the spark we need on this special teams to help with position and momentum?

hogcods8

Quote from: MO.Hog on August 05, 2014, 08:29:53 pm
I can see this young man being an explosive returner. With his speed and quickness he could really turn some heads. I saw in his interview where he wants the spot. Is he the spark we need on this special teams to help with position and momentum?
It would be nice if he was, but they'll have to find out if he can catch punts cleanly, and hold onto the ball. Alot of people want to be punt returner, but it takes a special breed. Who knows who the PR will be.

PonderinHog

MO.Hog

Hogeration

I still think this guy may surprise some folks.  Joe Adams type elusiveness.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/890672/highlights/80141380

Jamie Jones

I'm for whomever doesn't let the ball hit the ground and roll 20-30 yards deeper into out own territory. Just fall on it if nothing else. Don't help the other team's defense.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jamie Jones on August 05, 2014, 08:52:59 pm
I'm for whomever doesn't let the ball hit the ground and roll 20-30 yards deeper into out own territory. Just fall on it if nothing else. Don't help the other team's defense.
Didn't we fair catch just about everything last year or was that two years ago?

Ugly Uncle

Here is video I took today of KM talking about running and returning punts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbPA2-XnJhc
Retired Radio Host

lumphog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 05, 2014, 09:09:22 pm

Unc, are you going to get to see any practices ??? I really enjoyed your thoughts on the players last year & hope to get some reports.....Thanks for what you do buddy

Augustus

+1 for the video, Unc!

And, +1 to Korliss for using "Yes Sir" in his responses!  Loving what I'm hearing so far!

WPS!  :razorback:

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: lumphog on August 05, 2014, 09:20:40 pm
Unc, are you going to get to see any practices ??? I really enjoyed your thoughts on the players last year & hope to get some reports.....Thanks for what you do buddy

We will get to see the scrimmage on Saturday, but it looks like for now that will be the only practice open.
Retired Radio Host

Porkys Revenge

I had forgotten about that return at lsu that was called back. That was awesome.

VT HOG

I was at the A&M game when Korliss got his first kick off return. He was the fastest man on the field. Everyone was looking around asking who #33 was. Can't wait to see more of him.

Prestworthy

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 05, 2014, 09:34:40 pm
We will get to see the scrimmage on Saturday, but it looks like for now that will be the only practice open.
Hey Ched is the scrimmage open to the public?

Prestworthy

And I think KM should take just about any KO he can get his hands on.  Definitely worth the risk with his burst of speed.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Prestworthy on August 05, 2014, 11:07:56 pm
Hey Ched is the scrimmage open to the public?

It doesn't appear so at this time.  It will be open to the media, but to open it to the fans would require the stadium to be ready (bathrooms open etc.).
Retired Radio Host

Prestworthy

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 05, 2014, 11:19:07 pm
It doesn't appear so at this time.  It will be open to the media, but to open it to the fans would require the stadium to be ready (bathrooms open etc.).
Thanks Ched

Tejano Jawg

Nice interview. Sharp kid...look forward to seeing him take the next step this year.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: hogcods8 on August 05, 2014, 08:38:43 pm
Alot of people want to be punt returner, but it takes a special breed.

Agree. Most good RBs can do a nice job of returning kickoffs, but PR is a different skill. Some guys are very good at returning punts, but just ok at other things. 

ricepig

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on August 06, 2014, 09:41:19 am
Agree. Most good RBs can do a nice job of returning kickoffs, but PR is a different skill. Some guys are very good at returning punts, but just ok at other things. 

Catching/fielding the punt is the first step, and most important one. I remember on my son's high school team we had a kid, playing at Clemson now, he couldn't field a punt. I was talking with his dad one day and he said he liked baseball, but couldn't catch a fly ball.

hawgwash

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2014, 09:49:26 am
Catching/fielding the punt is the first step, and most important one. I remember on my son's high school team we had a kid, playing at Clemson now, he couldn't field a punt. I was talking with his dad one day and he said he liked baseball, but couldn't catch a fly ball.
My brother-in-law once told me that at one time the Indianapolis Colts would select fans to come on the field at halftime to catch "punts".  They were actually shot out of a machine rather than kicked by a person.  It was apparently hilarious watching how the fans missed catching these.  Catching a 40-50 yard punt is very difficult, even without 220 lb. guys running full speed at you 3 yards away.

The_Iceman

I just don't see Korliss as a punt returner. Usually, you see more shifty, side-to-side runners as PR's.

razorbackkid

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 06, 2014, 01:39:08 pm
I just don't see Korliss as a punt returner. Usually, you see more shifty, side-to-side runners as PR's.
Agreed.  That is what made Joe Adams so fun to watch.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

The_Iceman

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 06, 2014, 01:49:34 pm
Agreed.  That is what made Joe Adams so fun to watch.

Yet, when Joe Adams tried kickoff returns, he wasn't very good at it. Each requires a different type of returner.

razorbackkid

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 06, 2014, 01:53:15 pm
Yet, when Joe Adams tried kickoff returns, he wasn't very good at it. Each requires a different type of returner.
Kickoff returns...Felix Jones, DMac and DJ were very good.  Correct, a punt returner needs that extra bit of recklessness to be effective.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

PonderinHog

I predict Korliss will run a kickoff back this year.  Somebody gonna get burned... :razorback:

PorkSoda

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 05, 2014, 09:00:34 pm
Didn't we fair catch just about everything last year or was that two years ago?
During the Nutty years, people complained we had punt catchers instead of punt returners.  last couple years they were more like punt watchers.

I'll take a punt catcher over a punt watcher every time.  one day we might actually get a returner, but I'm not holding my breath.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

razorbackkid

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 06, 2014, 03:25:30 pm
I predict Korliss will run a kickoff back this year.  Somebody gonna get burned... :razorback:
For those whom haven't seen it.

hobhog

Read in paper today where they may try Duwop at punt return.....

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 06, 2014, 03:36:41 pm
During the Nutty years, people complained we had punt catchers instead of punt returners.  last couple years they were more like punt watchers.

I'll take a punt catcher over a punt watcher every time.  one day we might actually get a returner, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think we have one in JoJo if he can catch it, it will be interesting to see what happens there. And yes, the #1 rule of punt returns is to catch the ball and not fumble.

razorbackkid

How this young man flew under the radar is amazing.

razorbackkid

Hmmm....can't get this link to work.

nchogg

I think Marshall will be ok. Look at Joe Adams, he went through his growing pains like many other good punt returners have in the past.

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 06, 2014, 03:39:13 pm
For those whom haven't seen it.

HA! The first play is against my HS. I was actually beside this camera man who filmed this. We beat them 22-18. http://fearlessfriday.com/pastscores/Carlisle/2014.html He ran in a gear that I NEVER saw before on a HS level.

razorbackkid

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on August 06, 2014, 04:10:36 pm
HA! The first play is against my HS. I was actually beside this camera man who filmed this. We beat them 22-18. http://fearlessfriday.com/pastscores/Carlisle/2014.html He ran in a gear that I NEVER saw before on a HS level.
He looks so much better in an Arkansas Razorback uniform.  :)

Glad we have him.

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 06, 2014, 04:14:27 pm
He looks so much better in an Arkansas Razorback uniform.  :)

Glad we have him.
Oh I completely agree. I was a fan of his when we left that town. When I heard he was offered and committed I was ecstatic.