Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can bielema produce a talented backfield like nutt year in and out?

Started by Sweet Feet, August 05, 2014, 01:21:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

Bacon_Bitz

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorbackkid

Putting together a big nasty offensive line won't hurt and he is doing that.

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

PonderinHog

I doubt if I'll ever be convinced that Bielema coaches offense.

razorbackkid

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 05, 2014, 01:44:43 pm
In the stickied video he was all smiles when talking about the Oline.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

VT HOG

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 05, 2014, 01:44:43 pm
[/quote
Sure has influence. That wasn't a Jim Cheney offense we saw last year lol.

hoghappy

Nutt recruited his best backs from Arkansas and Oklahoma as I recall. Those are his twin home states. Bret looks to be recruiting more nationally.

hogcard1964

bigbadhog

Yes, but I suspect his passing game will also look similarly bad...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

LZH

I'd even venture a shot it the dark that he's capable of better RB's year in and year out.  Problem is....well, everything Nutt had problems with.

hogcard1964

Quote from: bigbadhog on August 05, 2014, 02:48:51 pm
Yes, but I suspect his passing game will also look similarly bad...

Didn't he have Russell Wilson at Wisconsin?

870hogfan

Quote from: VT HOG on August 05, 2014, 01:41:47 pm
He'll never have a running back like Darren McFadden. McFaddens best season had four losses and he was running a similar offense as Burt.

Who is Burt?

bigbadhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 05, 2014, 03:08:33 pm

One year after a transfer.  WISC passing game never impressed me and was mainly play action to TE's and short routes.  Chaney knows how to implement a good passing attack if BB will let him. We will see...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Chief Mac

August 05, 2014, 03:27:47 pm #16 Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:34:04 pm by Chris McWilliams
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 05, 2014, 03:08:33 pm

Wisconsin under Bielema AVERAGED 2500 yds passing per season which, up till 2009, would have been a top passing offense EVER at Arkansas.  If Hatfield or Nutt's teams had come close to averaging that, there would be a few more trophies on display
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

hogsanity

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on August 05, 2014, 03:27:47 pm
Wisconsin under Bielema AVERAGED 2500 yds passing per season which, up till 2009, would have been a top passing offense EVER at Arkansas. 

Those were not real passes though, it was the QB getting hit and the ball flying forward and lucky to be caught.  You have read it here on Hogville, BB does not allow forward passes in his offense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Boar War

Quote from: bigbadhog on August 05, 2014, 03:15:40 pm
One year after a transfer.  WISC passing game never impressed me and was mainly play action to TE's and short routes.  Chaney knows how to implement a good passing attack if BB will let him. We will see...

I wonder if Tennessee fans would trade that 5-7 season for a conference title and a Rose Bowl berth?  I'm always surprised to find out that Chaney is the accomplished coach and Bielema is the unproven one.

jgphillips3

If Bielema gets this ground game cranking, he'll never hurt for running backs.

thirrdegreetusker

Well, as more schools go toward offenses that feature more passing, I think a coach who recruits monster OLs might just be able to successfully recruit stud-horse running backs.

LZH

Arkansas (except for most of the 1990's) will always have good RB's...we always have.  BB seems to have a knack for bringing in big OL's.  Now all we need is QB's and WR's.  It's not his talent for assembling good football players that bothers me, it's his fly-by-the-seat-of-his-britches on-the-fly decisions that worries me.

Piggfoot

Quote from: LZH on August 05, 2014, 03:48:29 pm
Arkansas (except for most of the 1990's) will always have good RB's...we always have.  BB seems to have a knack for bringing in big OL's.  Now all we need is QB's and WR's.  It's not his talent for assembling good football players that bothers me, it's his fly-by-the-seat-of-his-britches on-the-fly decisions that worries me.

Then you shouldn't be worried. Last year was not typical of Bielema's coaching career. There is overwhelming evidence that we had an over all lack of talent.
Desperate situations sometime call for desperate actions. If they work then you are a hero, if not you are perceived to be an idiot.
Bielema is certainly a better coach than Nutt. He beat Nutt when Nutt had his best team. We should have won against Wisconsin but we didn't. 

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

chitwnhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 05, 2014, 02:26:43 pm
I'm confused.  We can now talk about former coaches?

It was all a ruse...nothing has changed. We was duped.

Cinco de Hogo

I doubt that stigma is what he's shooting for.  ;)

It's hard to imagine a better backfield the the best one in NCAA history but if you are talking about Win and Loses then I'm positive that his backfield will produce as much or more.

hoghevn

Nutt benefitted MIGHTALLY from the discipline of Danny Ford before him.  Danny did not have the personality to get out of his players the benefit of all the discipline he put into the players.

I believe BB has the ability to put the discipline in and the motivation/personality to get the benefits out of the players.  That being said, NEVER say NEVER as one poster above that stated we'll NEVER have another Running Back as good as McFadden.  You put in a good RB with the exceptional great RB coming along ever so often with a disciplined OL and great offensive scheme under our new Offensive Coordinator and having a talented backfield is not only possible but will be the stable for this team under BB.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

Steef

DMAC fell into HDN's lap. Talent like that is just serendipity.

Georgia hasn't had another Herschel. Auburn hasn't had another Bo. etc.

The odds of it happening AGAIN...are exactly the same as it happening the first time.

Pigdiana Jones

Of all the things that MOTHO did that wasn't good, which was mostly everything, the one thing that he could do well was develop RB's. That's it, though. So the comparison is correct in only that regard.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Bubba's Bruisers

Geez, forget the RB position.  Me thinks Bret will produce more talented and complete TEAMS than Nutt ever dreamed of producing.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Paul

Hoggiedawg

It appears so and as a matter of fact "little bobby" is back in vogue as well.

1highhog

He'll never have a running back like Darren McFadden. McFaddens best season had four losses and he was running a similar offense as Burt.

You don't know that, and Coach BRET will always have some of the best RB's in the Nation.  I love DMac, an athelete  like that only comes around  every so often, but we have 3 fight now on Campus that all have a chance of playing on the next level.  We still don't know what Marshall is capable of, just be glad we have a Coach that's bringing in talent on the Lines, as well as the skill positions, and the defense, since when have we had a Coach do that?

Cinco de Hogo

There is a reason CBB teams produced great numbers at the RB position but it's not because he had DMac's running around ever year.  His Oline was the reason mostly.  He will get better talent at that position here at Arkansas but at the same time may or may not get better Olinemen.  Add to that playing against SEC defenses and who knows what it will all add up to.

MuskogeeHogFan

You don't know that to be a fact, you are just hoping.
Go Hogs Go!

Big Poppa Z

It's very difficult to not have [perceived] good running backs if you have a solid offensive line.

Get the line and whoever Springdale's starting halfback is this fall could gain yardage.

Choctaw Hog

Like you would actually know anything about it.  And for the record a$$ wipe, his name is Bret.  People like you aren't fit to lick the sandals of Coach Bielema and should be permanently banned. 

Lake City Hog

For any team to have a McFadden, Jones and Hillis at one time will be very tough to top!

popcornhog

Quote from: Sweet Feet on August 05, 2014, 01:21:41 pm
I say hel do better

Who was the "top" player in the backfield that Nutt recruited? Batman? Chris Houston and Lawrence Richardson were up there but not as highly talented if I recall.

He inherited Kenoy Kennedy and Kenny Hamlin, right?

This is a strange thread for multiple reasons. Why are you comparing him to Nutt?

I know our defensive backfield is lacking but this is just an odd thread.
WPS

Phil D

Quote from: popcornhog on August 05, 2014, 05:58:35 pm
Who was the "top" player in the backfield that Nutt recruited? Batman? Chris Houston and Lawrence Richardson were up there but not as highly talented if I recall.

He inherited Kenoy Kennedy and Kenny Hamlin, right?

This is a strange thread for multiple reasons. Why are you comparing him to Nutt?

I know our defensive backfield is lacking but this is just an odd thread.

you and i both know why he is comparing him to nutt. it's the same reason posters are still misspelling coaches name deliberately
GO HOGS!!!!!!

NorCalRazorback

Gotta give BB time.  Think about it... If you were him, and your starting quarterback went down and you don't really have another option at THE most critical position on the field - would you expose your whole strategy to your opponents...particularly when you know you have a team that is not well suited for competition in the most competitive conference in the land?  He knew how bad the cupboard was when he came here... I keep saying that he held back last year.  Do you think he would have left Wisconsin and come here without an agreement from Jeff Long that he needs at least 3 years to get the Hogs back to a competitive level.  If he had that agreement, and knew what he had as well as what he didn't have, he would hold back on how much he would show his hand - AND - he would try to limit the injuries. 

Yes he will produce great running backs - that's quite obvious.  We already have, and will continue to have one of the best OL's in all of football.  A line with the road graders we have (and will continue to have) plus the depth we will have - will definitely produce great running backs.  We will have Heisman candidates by 2016.  Great runners and a great line, give opportunity for great quarterback play. 

He's not an idiot, rather he is quite smart and also clever.  I think he has the right plan in place on the offensive side.  Our defense will come around too.  If you have an offense that holds onto the ball 35 - 40 minutes a game, that means you have a defense that is on the field 20 - 25 minutes a game.  Remember the effect of this is that the other team's defense is on the field a very long time... in the South... where it's humid and hot.  That creates opportunities for mistakes by a defense and also an offense that will press, and have more urgency to score which means that offense becomes significantly more predictable on 3rd downs. 

Throw in excellent conditioning and stronger athletes...  well you have a great chance at winning a lot of ball games. 
"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

lasthog

Aaarrgh!!! Why would anyone attempt to formulate an intelligent response to such a stupid question posed by the OP?? Good grief.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: lasthog on August 05, 2014, 06:33:22 pm
Aaarrgh!!! Why would anyone attempt to formulate an intelligent response to such a stupid question posed by the OP?? Good grief.

Gosh, because this is MMQB and football season hasn't started yet!

Why do people ask questions like that?

lasthog

bphi11ips

Don't feed the troll.  If everyone would ignore this ASUhole he'd go away.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

ricepig

Augustus

Hmmm... I don't know about that. I think once Bret & Pittman build this O-line out... We have a definite possibility of getting another McFadden quality Back.

Bret had Monte Ball at Wisconsin.  Just comparing Monte's vs Darren's last two years... Monte beat Darren's numbers in rushing yds & touchdowns.

I would think once Bret gets his foundation built, the top RB recruits in the nation consider us year after year.

And, of course, this is all overlooking one of our current RBs.  With the numbers Alex Collins put up last year, he may very well end up being the best RB in Arkansas history?

Edit: Oh... also, it's Bret. Not whoever the hell "Burt" is.  Show some respect.

1highhog

Quote from: Augustus on August 05, 2014, 07:49:46 pm
Hmmm... I don't know about that. I think once Bret & Pittman build this O-line out... We have a definite possibility of getting another McFadden quality Back.

Bret had Monte Ball at Wisconsin.  Just comparing Monte's vs Darren's last two years... Monte beat Darren's numbers in rushing yds & touchdowns.

I would think once Bret gets his foundation built, the top RB recruits in the nation consider us year after year.

And, of course, this is all overlooking one of our current RBs.  With the numbers Alex Collins put up last year, he may very well end up being the best RB in Arkansas history?

Edit: Oh... also, it's Bret. Not whoever the hell "Burt" is.  Show some respect.

Good post, DMac for sure was a great RB, but not for anything Nutt developed in him.  He was gifted like that when he stepped on Campus.  Nutt and his staff needed to develop DMac's lower body, his legs and never did.  So if DMac got hit low he usually went down quick.  You will see a big difference in Alex from last year to this year, difference, Coaching.

Also, by the time Collins, JWill, and Marshall leave the hill, who knows, some of DMacs records may fall.

popcornhog

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 05, 2014, 07:31:29 pm
Don't feed the troll.  If everyone would ignore this ASUhole he'd go away.

Isn't he just Mr Cool Hog's son's roommate? I'm not sure he's a troll. I think he's just special.
WPS