Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vanover is a big deal

Started by The Recruiting Guy, August 05, 2014, 10:18:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogimus Prime

If he keeps developing it be fun to watch him in MA's system.  Protecting the rim and trailing on a break with the ability to hit the 3.

Pickwick Hog

Holy crap. He's going to be a baller.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

The_Iceman

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on August 05, 2014, 10:26:03 am
If he keeps developing it be fun to watch him in MA's system.  Protecting the rim and trailing on a break with the ability to hit the 3.

Will need to gain considerable mobility and quickness to be effective in Anderson's system. Kid has a long way to go. It will be interesting to see what he looks like as a senior.

gmarv

good grief is he just 14, seems to move really well for such a youngun thats so tall.

ifghog

Peppa Pig

Wow.  Very impressive and probably still growing.  How tall are his mom and dad??

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Peppa Pig on August 05, 2014, 11:54:19 am
Wow.  Very impressive and probably still growing.  How tall are his mom and dad??

The article said both were 6'3" and that he had to twin brothers that were 6'10 and 7' tall.

yraciv

Quote from: Peppa Pig on August 05, 2014, 11:54:19 am

Read the article, both are 6'3. Has two twin brother that are 17 and 6'10 and 7'1.

yraciv

Here is video of his brother that is going into his JR year.  He doesn't look like a prospect for us, but he also is 6'10 and weighs 230 so I'd like to think the kid could put on some more weight. Either way that front line is going to be tough to handle in 3A.

Cinco de Hogo

Looks like the makings of a great young player who is committed to achieving his dream.  I want the best for him and in most cases would believe he could achieve that at Arkansas.  However. After several attempts with players like this in the Richardson/Anderson system I can't say if I would advice him to commit to Arkansas vs teams like Kansas or Duke if he had the opportunity. 

I don't see that as a negative toward Coach Anderson just a view from the cheap seats.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 05, 2014, 02:42:22 pm
Looks like the makings of a great young player who is committed to achieving his dream.  I want the best for him and in most cases would believe he could achieve that at Arkansas.  However. After several attempts with players like this in the Richardson/Anderson system I can't say if I would advice him to commit to Arkansas vs teams like Kansas or Duke if he had the opportunity. 

I don't see that as a negative toward Coach Anderson just a view from the cheap seats.

Very cheap.

That's like saying Dwight Stewart didn't play well in Nolan's system.  I think he (and we) did OK.

Go Hogs!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ArkansasI on August 05, 2014, 02:49:37 pm
Very cheap.

That's like saying Dwight Stewart didn't play well in Nolan's system.  I think he (and we) did OK.

Go Hogs!

Gosh man I missed the similarities, sorry!

If we were playing a team with him on it a few years from now I can guarentee you I wouldnt be afraid if we had Dwight or Big O.

yraciv

Quote from: ArkansasI on August 05, 2014, 02:49:37 pm
Very cheap.

Go Hogs!

Completely different players.  We had Jason Jennings, but he was a huge 7 footer without a jump shot  The only comparable player I can think of is Vincent Hunter, and he wasn't near as tall.  That being said he looks like a young Frank Kaminsky to me.  If he turns into that there will certainly be a spot.  No way to tell how the young man's game develops at this point.

Hawg Red

Quote from: yraciv on August 05, 2014, 03:40:34 pm
No way to tell how the young man's game develops at this point.

secneahog

He's just a kid, let the guy play and not worry about his weight. Older he gets the weight will come. Nice touch on his jumper.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: secneahog on August 05, 2014, 08:27:10 pm
He's just a kid, let the guy play and not worry about his weight. Older he gets the weight will come. Nice touch on his jumper.
It did for Shaq

Rzback

Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Birminghog

Quote from: Ironhawg on August 05, 2014, 01:31:04 pm
7-1 and 180?  That youngster is so skinny he is see-through!

But 7-1 at 14 years old?  Hokey smokes, Bullwinkle!

LRRandy

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on August 05, 2014, 12:13:38 pm
The article said both were 6'3" and that he had to twin brothers that were 6'10 and 7' tall.
his mom was a lady razorback.
This is fun, isn't it.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Birminghog on August 06, 2014, 12:13:44 pm
But 7-1 at 14 years old?  Hokey smokes, Bullwinkle!
]
Has he stopped growing in height?

jackflash

If I was Anderson I would offer him now.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: jackflash on August 14, 2014, 06:06:56 pm
If I was Anderson I would offer him now.

Thank god you're not.  None of those Vanover kids have the athleticism needed for our system.  But holy smokes all 3 of them on the court at the same time could make for some crazy youtube videos against the tiny schools. 
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

LJHOG

From the little film available I'd say that at this point he has a nice shot and that's about it.   And he needs to play against top-flight competition.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on August 16, 2014, 12:43:55 pm
Thank god you're not.  None of those Vanover kids have the athleticism needed for our system.  But holy smokes all 3 of them on the court at the same time could make for some crazy youtube videos against the tiny schools.
At 14 years of age it's really hard to say if he does or doesn't have the athleticism. He sure as hell has size.

Hawg Red

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on August 17, 2014, 12:46:41 pm
At 14 years of age it's really hard to say if he does or doesn't have the athleticism. He sure as hell has size.

It's not hard to see that he looks very stiff.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on August 17, 2014, 12:46:41 pm
I'm definitely in the camp of "He's 14, no reason to speculate on his ability..." However, not sure I can agree with your post. You can have a great idea about someone's athleticism at age 14.

Btw, this thread makes me think of Payton Hendrix. Who did he end up choosing? Harding, Duke, or UNC? That was the biggest case of embellishing a hometown kid that I can ever remember on here (that hasn't happened with Vanover at all, thankfully).

Edit: Just occured to me that Payton Hendrix was a DB we were looking at on the gridiron. What was the kid's name who would only choose the Hogs, Duke, or UNC over Harding in basketball?

mhuff

Quote from: BBsTheMan on August 17, 2014, 01:10:05 pm
I'm definitely in the camp of "He's 14, no reason to speculate on his ability..." However, not sure I can agree with your post. You can have a great idea about someone's athleticism at age 14.

Btw, this thread makes me think of Payton Hendrix. Who did he end up choosing? Harding, Duke, or UNC? That was the biggest case of embellishing a hometown kid that I can ever remember on here (that hasn't happened with Vanover at all, thankfully).

Edit: Just occured to me that Payton Hendrix was a DB we were looking at on the gridiron. What was the kid's name who would only choose the Hogs, Duke, or UNC over Harding in basketball?

Remember Joe Johnson when he was 14. The Wings won the National 14 and Under Championship. I would say they were "pretty" good as they were beating our brains out. I sure think those who said, " Joe might be pretty good" were right.  ;D :razorback:

hs6

I cannot recall his name, but I believe he played at Benton Harmony Grove.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: hs6 on August 17, 2014, 08:49:18 pm
I cannot recall his name, but I believe he played at Benton Harmony Grove.
Good call, buddy. You clarifying the HS actually triggered his name. It was Hayden Burchfield.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: mhuff on August 17, 2014, 06:16:52 pm
Remember Joe Johnson when he was 14. The Wings won the National 14 and Under Championship. I would say they were "pretty" good as they were beating our brains out. I sure think those who said, " Joe might be pretty good" were right.  ;D :razorback:
Yeah I'd say he turned out alright! Lol..

You were probably his coach Mhuff, you son of a gun! I forget what age you coached/helped with?

Hawg Red

Conor has been invited to the 2014 USA Development National Team Training Camp, per his father on Twitter.

choppedporkextrasauce

you're possibly selling this guy short ;) he may well be slow developing in his athletism. Lots of guys are. And it may never happen but he's cleary the best of his family. This is one kid worth watching. The luxury of time is on his side right now.

Hawg Red

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on August 18, 2014, 09:52:38 am
you're possibly selling this guy short ;) he may well be slow developing in his athletism. Lots of guys are. And it may never happen but he's cleary the best of his family. This is one kid worth watching. The luxury of time is on his side right now.

Definitely worth keeping tabs on.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on August 18, 2014, 09:52:38 am
I wasn't doubting Vanover at all. I'm really excited about seeing him play actually. Was just making a general statement that you can't expect athleticism to change a whole lot. I didn't watch the video, so I don't even know how athletic he is.
If me and a kid run a race at age 14, assuming we each have similar levels of activity, the results won't change much at all 4 years later.

mhuff

Quote from: BBsTheMan on August 17, 2014, 09:31:32 pm
Yeah I'd say he turned out alright! Lol..

You were probably his coach Mhuff, you son of a gun! I forget what age you coached/helped with?

I coached against him. My team didn't have much of a coach. I had a team for about three years ,and two teams for about a year. Decided kids sitting on bench and a year younger needed to be on the floor. One year we played up in classification. We did beat NLR in tournament ,and our PG got experience. He was the only one in that age classification. It is just good experience to play against the best competition available. It paid off later.

mhuff

BBs, I would say that age 15 or 16 is where kids mature physically the most. They jump higher, get stronger and faster. Also, skill wise some don't even develop a decent jump shot till them. Also, kids that grow too fast take time to regain coordination. My greatest improvement came between my sophomore and junior years. I was a slow learner though.  ;D