Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Preseason Report Card: Secondary and Receivers are Needed

Started by Robert Shields, August 04, 2014, 10:36:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Preseason Report Card: Secondary and Receivers Are Crucial Areas Needed to Turn Program Around

Robert Shields

The incoming freshmen for the Razorback football team can best be described as an unknown, and how big of a difference that they will make on this team remains to be seen.

But a lot is riding on their shoulders to be difference makers in pulling this football program out of the depths of the SEC. What positions will we most need to see those difference makers?

While we don't really know what kind of contributions the new players will end up making, we do have an idea of what the returning players can do based on past performance, and here is a preseason position-by-position rundown of what Bret Bielema has returning and where there are great opportunities for improvement, to spin it positively.

Will the preseason for this edition of Razorback football give us optimism that the program will finally get back on track after being derailed when Petrino's motorbike ran off the road?

Let's take a look.

Kicking Game – B
The loss of Zach Hocker was huge, and giving this group a grade of B without him is a huge stretch. The field-goal kicking may be accurate at close distance, but at longer distances it's going to be dicey. Sam Irwin-Hill provides a solid punter, and I'm not sure if leaving it at that is a compliment or not.

Receivers – D
When all you really have to talk about returning at the position is Keon Hatcher, then your team is thin at receiver. Even though Hatcher improved dramatically last season, you have to have more than one guy to throw the ball to, or at least that is what I learned during the cut-short Petrino era. This is a position where an incoming freshman needs to have an impact. The passing game was ineffective last year, and the lack of depth at the position is not a positive before the season starts.

Running backs – A
This is probably the strength of the team in Jonathan Williams, Alex Collins, and Korliss Marshall filling out the stable. The loss of Kiero Small will be felt. Patrick Arinze and Kody Walker could augment the position at fullback. But you can finish high in the conference in team rushing and still finish last in the win column.

Offensive Line – A
I expect good things out of the offensive line with the likes of Denver Kirkland, Dan Skipper, Mitch Smothers, Brey Cook, Luke Charpentier, Grady Ollison, Cordale Boyd, and Marcus Danenhauer to name a few. There is depth and it's a beefy group, which should help Bielema's struggling offense. But can they pass block? Travis Swanson will be a loss and probably an adjustment for quarterback Brandon Allen.

Quarterback – D
Maybe this should even been an F since the quarterback last year threw almost as many interceptions as he did touchdowns and the completion percentage was anemic. The quarterback is the most important position on the team, and this position will have to greatly improve for the Razorbacks to have any success. Coming out of the Red-White game, the quarterback did not seem to take huge strides from last season. Bielema announcing that AJ Derby was still taking snaps at quarterback left a lot of fans cold and is cause for concern no matter what kind of picture Rick Schaeffer tries to paint.

Tight end – A
Hunter Henry and Jeremy Sprinkle are more than capable at this position. The expected addition of AJ Derby when he stops playing quarterback will help round out a good squad.

From this breakdown, it's easy to tell that the team right now is one dimensional, which will have to be addressed before the season begins to have any success. Otherwise, the team may end up being at the very top of rushing in the league but at the very bottom of the standings similar to last year.

It's easy to be pessimistic about the quarterback situation and lack of quality receivers, which is odd as those were the forte of Petrino teams. Besides the aerial attack needing to be improved for the team to have success, the other area last year that was totally deficient was the defense.

The defense will have to have marked improvement to win six games. So will they? Roll the grades.

Secondary – F
This area of the defense was porous last year and time and again gave up big plays that were the difference in some critical games. The team has to find at least one safety, although two are on the field. Having at least one would be an improvement. Maybe one will materialize such as Rohan Gaines or one could come from the incoming freshmen. You could try to find some silver lining in that Jared Collins and Tevin Mitchell can be serviceable at times.

Linebackers – C
This area of the defense, though, could be a pleasant surprise. Otha Peters might step up, and I'm expecting good things from Martrell Spaight and Brooks Ellis this year. Spaight and Ellis were both true freshmen but showed some promise. Daunte Carr may also contribute. I'm trying to be optimistic and maybe this is the area of the team that overachieves to improve the defense and create some unexpected big plays.

Defensive front – B
Trey Flowers and Darius Philon are as good as any in the conference. I also like the way Deatrich Wise Jr. plays and DeMarcus Hodge should be solid.

So if true freshmen are going to show up and have an impact in turning around the program, the two areas that you need them are in the defensive secondary and at receiver. You know it's not quarterback as AJ Derby is still taking snaps.

Send your breakdown to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

Kevin

Offensive Line – A
"I expect good things out of the offensive line with the likes of Denver Kirkland, Dan Skipper, Mitch Smothers, Brey Cook, Luke Charpentier, Grady Ollison, Cordale Boyd, and Marcus Danenhauer to name a few. There is depth and it's a beefy group, which should help Bielema's struggling offense. But can they pass block? Travis Swanson will be a loss and probably an adjustment for quarterback Brandon Allen."

a couple of these guys don't even play ol anymore, and no where has any coach mentioned danenhauer's name.

stop reading after that. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Ex-Trumpet

This isn't a preseason analysis...it's piling on what was the worst Hogs season since the history of ever.  Try again.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on August 04, 2014, 10:50:27 am
Offensive Line – A
"I expect good things out of the offensive line with the likes of Denver Kirkland, Dan Skipper, Mitch Smothers, Brey Cook, Luke Charpentier, Grady Ollison, Cordale Boyd, and Marcus Danenhauer to name a few. There is depth and it's a beefy group, which should help Bielema's struggling offense. But can they pass block? Travis Swanson will be a loss and probably an adjustment for quarterback Brandon Allen."

a couple of these guys don't even play ol anymore, and no where has any coach mentioned danenhauer's name.

stop reading after that. 

Yeah, I don't think he even knows who the coach is, well, maybe. It's just like it was written by some out of state guy going off last spring's depth chart. I'd be embarrassed to put my name to it.

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Kevin

love how he post on here once a week, and never sticks around to back his work up
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Hoggish1

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Hogusta National

Stopped reading at QB rating of D.  Although BA had his share of issues, assigning him all of the blame as this inept 'writer' seems to do is a waste of reading.

SemperFi

Agree and disagree.

I think the QB position is better off than the D or marginal F that the OP designated. No mention of Brandon Allen's injury or the plague of dropped passes that adversely affected his completion percentage. He defintely forgot about returning Receiver Demetrius Wilson, although I would agree that we are thin at the WR position with a handful of very promising freshmen and one JUCO coming in.

The Secondary is defintely the "X" factor for a defense that needs to step it up in 2014 and I think that they'll be better with better coaching from Clay Jennings and the defense as a whole will be much improved with our new DC putting in a package that is more inline with the guys that we have.

Robert Shields, you should defintely stick around and debate, defend and explain your stance instead of posting and running.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

weresoclose

Quote from: Hogusta National on August 04, 2014, 11:34:17 am
Stopped reading at QB rating of D.  Although BA had his share of issues, assigning him all of the blame as this inept 'writer' seems to do is a waste of reading.

you're right he deserved D

Brett's system simply needs a game manager and it didnt have one last year, for whatever reaaon. lets hope BA can pull off a C this season, which is really all ww need to have a great shot at a bowl game.

rljjr

Robert Shields: F. This alleged journalist and quasi writer performs admirably when leading with his strenghts: not writing. However, when it comes to the written word, he lacks judgment, often commenting on things he knows nothing about, or spouting personal opinion as fact. This kind of yellow journalism can get you beat in big-league newspaper writing. It's fortunate for him that there are no other great writers in the state earning paychecks for their sloppy presentation of personal agenda. Robert could very well rise up and surprise this season, though, if he were to actually provide analytical thought combined with a reasonable conclusion. However, history indicates this will be another long season of "who is Robert Shields."

mckinneyhog5

Good god man...do you even know who's on the team. I would suggest you'd be fired but seeing you're not paid for this dribble, I suggest a season long ban.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Man, I am not sure why Shields still posts here as much of a beating her always takes, and usually without good reason. It's just his opinion. You can always refute it with a little more than "didn't read" or "Who is RS?". I enjoy reading his posts as much as I do many of the other regular posters whether i agree or disagree. I just nevr understand why RS gets hammered so much.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on August 04, 2014, 11:59:31 am
Good god man...do you even know who's on the team. I would suggest you'd be fired but seeing you're not paid for this dribble, I suggest a season long ban.

"Drivel" is the word you meant to use, I think...Drivel is defined as stupid or senseless talk, idiotic statements, or rank twaddle.

It seems to have come from a Scandinavian word meaning the sediment left over after brewing. This is appropriate, since the earliest use of the word meant spittle flowing from the mouth, or dribble.

This is dribble:

On second thought, you may have been right all along!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

GolfnHog

As it was once penned: "He knows just enough to be dangerous to himself and others". 

This "weekly posting" proves that the  OP failed to do any substantive research on the OL. Furthermore, RS was very subjective in his critique of the QB play w/o listing all variables for his grade assessment. By leaving out pertinent facts doesn't diminish the value of the facts even if they don't fit into the OP's myopic views
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Al Boarland

A couple points of contention, but overall another solid piece.

Ex-Trumpet

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 04, 2014, 12:06:51 pm
I just nevr understand why RS gets hammered so much.

people usually don't like what they don't understand.  While his facts may not always be 100% accurate, at least he does try to give facts and reasoning in what he posts. As opposed to many here, who if asked why they think a certain way, they respond with some variation of  "just cuz "
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Al Boarland

Quote from: hogsanity on August 04, 2014, 12:38:33 pm
people usually don't like what they don't understand.  While his facts may not always be 100% accurate, at least he does try to give facts and reasoning in what he posts. As opposed to many here, who if asked why they think a certain way, they respond with some variation of  "just cuz "

Fans in general can't handle anyone being critical of their program.  Some around here say it's okay to be critical as long as you back it up, but that's not true.  Basically, if it's not sunshine and roses it doesn't fly on hogville.

PeabodyHawg

So you state that his facts aren't accurate but give him props for giving facts? 

???

TDHawgs

troyer37

Kevin

Ex-Trumpet

Most of the time RS gets hammered because he's RS...today's post tries to come across as a preseason report card--but, it's just beating a dead horse...we get it, last year was awful. 

I, for one, am optimistic on this team's improvement this year.

Robert Shields

Quote from: Kevin on August 04, 2014, 10:50:27 am
Offensive Line – A
"I expect good things out of the offensive line with the likes of Denver Kirkland, Dan Skipper, Mitch Smothers, Brey Cook, Luke Charpentier, Grady Ollison, Cordale Boyd, and Marcus Danenhauer to name a few. There is depth and it’s a beefy group, which should help Bielema’s struggling offense. But can they pass block? Travis Swanson will be a loss and probably an adjustment for quarterback Brandon Allen."

stop reading after that. 

I think Cordale Boyd played offensive line even up until the Red-White Game.  I do see now that he has been moved to defense.  I won't be shocked if he moves back to offense.

thebignasty

Quote from: Robert Shields on August 04, 2014, 04:26:17 pm
I think Cordale Boyd played offensive line even up until the Red-White Game.  I do see now that he has been moved to defense.  I won't be shocked if he moves back to offense.
For as much work as you apparently put into your craft, you might as well guarantee and officially report it.   

Robert Shields

Quote from: thebignasty on August 04, 2014, 04:32:16 pm
For as much work as you apparently put into your craft, you might as well guarantee and officially report it.   

I was going to in my last post, but the link that was there just two days ago for the starting rosters and post game stats of the Red-White game is now broken.  I have actually encountered that trying to search for other things too today on the new web site.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Robert Shields on August 04, 2014, 04:43:03 pm
I was going to in my last post, but the link that was there just two days ago for the starting rosters and post game stats of the Red-White game is now broken.  I have actually encountered that trying to search for other things too today on the new web site.

This may help.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/#/
Go Hogs Go!

BorderPatrol

So, if the information is not available, you just make it up?

bp

RyeHogFan

Robert, I might be wrong about this, but I don't believe Spaight was a true freshman last year. He was a JUCO transfer, right?

Pickwick Hog

Gawd. Every single Monday Shields posts something, disappears for several hours, and comes back to bump his own thread if it's slow.

Quit feeding his damn ego.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

pignutz

Quote from: Robert Shields on August 04, 2014, 10:36:05 am
Preseason Report Card: Secondary and Receivers Are Crucial Areas Needed to Turn Program Around

Robert Shields

Linebackers – C
This area of the defense, though, could be a pleasant surprise. Otha Peters might step up, and I'm expecting good things from Martrell Spaight and Brooks Ellis this year. Spaight and Ellis were both true freshmen but showed some promise. Daunte Carr may also contribute. I'm trying to be optimistic and maybe this is the area of the team that overachieves to improve the defense and create some unexpected big plays.
Martrell Spaight was a junior college transfer, not a true freshman. Do your research since you obviously know very little about the razorback roster.

thebignasty

I'm sorry I questioned your work ethic. I now realize that you will check out the official Arkansas site and, maybe, if some dude calls you out,  let him know that you were unable to figure out how to manipulate 21st century tech.

My apologies.

ballz2thewall

good post.  i think the outlook is very much on par with reason.

The rest of the frog.

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

+1500
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: HoginMemphis on August 04, 2014, 05:53:59 pm
I see that Coach Bielema has recently hiked that trail.

It scares me that you have a working knowledge of CBB's defecation consistency.

tophawg19

well it was worth what we paid . Alan Turner played pretty well at safety for us . D Wilson will be back at WR .  That article gets an -F . We have almost a new staff on defense so you can't give a grade because a lot of last years failure was on the coaches and poor communication
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Pork Twain

Quote from: Robert Shields on August 04, 2014, 10:36:05 am
Serious question, do you even attend practices?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 04, 2014, 01:55:21 pm
Most of the time RS gets hammered because he's RS...today's post tries to come across as a preseason report card--but, it's just beating a dead horse...we get it, last year was awful. 

I, for one, am optimistic on this team's improvement this year.
You're not in the minority. Almost everyone I have heard from, or read from on here, is optimistic on team's likelihood for improvement this season. But it ain't happened yet. So just about as much reason to be negative as to be positive for this coming season. Can easily argue that it's more rational to be negative about this team's prospects. One of the top 5 toughest schedules in the country and we have half an offense and a mediocre at best (for the SEC) defense. Not to mention the Hogs have been embarrassed at every level for 2 consecutive seasons. It is usually pretty difficult to turn that train around. Took us 7 or 8 years to turn it around back in the '90's.

Reality is, the main argument for optimism is simply that we can't get any worse, so only way to go is up. I mean, 9 game losing streak...0-8 in conference play, embarrassing losses last year. Unless you think the Hogs are going to go 0-8 again in SEC play, I guess you color yourself an optimist. As for me, I am not that optimistic when I feel like the prospect of 4-8 or 5-7 is high. I just do not get excited about that.

thebignasty

They aren't facts if they aren't true. I have no issue with people being wrong on a message board. I've been wrong message board guy before.  Posturing as or pretending you're somehow more than a drooling idiot in front of a keyboard such as myself when you aren't is what draws my ire.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: thebignasty on August 04, 2014, 06:05:53 pm
They aren't facts if they aren't true. I have no issue with people being wrong on a message board. I've been wrong message board guy before.  Posturing as or pretending you're somehow more than a drooling idiot in front of a keyboard such as myself when you aren't is what draws my ire.
Oh no! Bob had drawn this guy's ire! Be afraid!