Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do you explain the optimism and hope of our long time core fans after two dismal seasons?

Started by JIHawg, August 03, 2014, 11:14:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

Our living our history has a way of permeating our subconscious, which gives rise to those gut instincts that forms the foundation of our optimism and hope. 

What is our history exactly?  It is a program that has experienced, at least for sixty years, short valleys and wide peaks.  It's those wide peaks that feed our hope.  A quick review follows.

The Broyles years is the logical place to start.  He followed three very mediocre years with Jack Mitchell.  Frank's first year he lost his first several games, bud did manage to win 4 games.  Sound familiar?  He was 9-2 his second year and off and running.  His seventh year he won our only national championship.  During most of Frank's years, we were relevant, always in the top ten, going to a bowl most years.  After 19 years, and a record of 144-58-5, Frank was burning out.  He got out at just the right time, but he left his successor, Lou Holtz, a train load of talent. 

This dip didn't last long at all.  Short valleys, long peaks. Holtz hit the ground running, producing one of Arkansas' most glorious seasons and win in the Orange Bowl.  Holtz started 11-1, 9-2-1, 10-2, then, due to his distaste for recruiting, waned.  He was let go after seven years.

Hatfield started out typically slow, going 7-4-1 his first year.  Second year, 10-2.  Again, a short valley, and a long peak.  Hatfield took us to a bowl game every year he coached, and won the conference championship twice.

Crow, in two years, and Kines in one year, did not coach long enough to establish a trend.  Danny Ford was brought in and had a typical 6-4-1 first season.  His third season, he won the SEC west with an 8-5 record.  Danny just could not build on his success, and left after five years.  Nutt, like Holtz, inherited a boat load of talent and shot out the gate with a 9-3 record that came within a fumble of being in the NC game.  Nutt fumbled around and produced some decent years having the benefit of Matt Jones and Hillis/Mcfaddin/Jones.  He did win the west and took us to several bowl games.  Had he had any ability at all coaching, those could have/should have been some great years. 

Petrino came in and had two bad years then got us to a BCS bowl and won the Cotton Bowl and finished 5th in the nation.  Again, short valley, wide peak.  The peak just got cut off by the motorcycle ride from hell.

So here we are, after our two year valley.  If history is a predictor of the future, and it usually is, we have had our two year valley, which may last another year, may not.  But our gut tells us, our history tells us, that wide peak is in the future.  It always has been.  No reason why it won't play out the same way.  The stars just seem to be lining up right.

greenie

Glad to have history on our side, and I agree that we'll start to see an upswing soon. 

I BLEED RBack RED

I enjoyed this post. I'm always so optimistic this time of year and u just boosted it 2 more notches. +1
The 3 things I can't live without are family, my razorbacks, and beer (not in any particular order).

31to6

Quote from: JIHawg on August 03, 2014, 11:14:37 pm
So here we are, after our two year valley.  If history is a predictor of the future, and it usually is, we have had our two year valley, which may last another year, may not.  But our gut tells us, our history tells us, that wide peak is in the future.  It always has been.  No reason why it won't play out the same way.  The stars just seem to be lining up right.
Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never is, but always to be blessed:
The soul, uneasy and confined from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

moses_007

It doesn't matter what we've done in the past.  True Arkansas Razorback fans always have great optimism this time of year.  I don't think that will ever change.

weresoclose

Back when you could win the SECW with an 8-5 record, it was a little easier to swallow 8 years of hovering between cellar and mediocrity.  That was an awfully long valley. 

Kines in 1 year sounds like JLS.  Brett will be given 3 for sure, not 2, but it could be Crowe 2.0, followed by an 8-5 best record over the next 5 years???

When people say we could likely be set back 10 years, they're referring to that time-span I just mentioned.  Considering the way Bama, LSU, Auburn, TAMU... hell, every one of the SECW teams but us is better than they were back then...

Man, I just think setting hopes on a bowl game this year is setting up for disappointment.  2015, do or die.   

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

LRRandy

This is fun, isn't it.

nchogg

Quote from: moses_007 on August 04, 2014, 12:55:24 am
It doesn't matter what we've done in the past.  True Arkansas Razorback fans always have great optimism this time of year.  I don't think that will ever change.
You hit the nail on the head. Go Hogs!

Pigsknuckles

Why does Charlie Brown keep trying to kick that ball? When you're a fan, it's just what you do.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Inhogswetrust

To answer the thread title is very simple and easy....................I explain my eternal optimism and hope because it is only two seasons in a lifetime of mostly good seasons. I let my memory of the good seasons overshadow the bad ones. I would much rather be eternally optimistic and hopeful instead of eternally miserable and hopeless. It makes life in general much more palatable, healthier and fun in all aspects of life.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: weresoclose on August 04, 2014, 01:00:16 am
Back when you could win the SECW with an 8-5 record, it was a little easier to swallow 8 years of hovering between cellar and mediocrity.  That was an awfully long valley. 

Kines in 1 year sounds like JLS.  Brett will be given 3 for sure, not 2, but it could be Crowe 2.0, followed by an 8-5 best record over the next 5 years???

When people say we could likely be set back 10 years, they're referring to that time-span I just mentioned.  Considering the way Bama, LSU, Auburn, TAMU... hell, every one of the SECW teams but us is better than they were back then...

Man, I just think setting hopes on a bowl game this year is setting up for disappointment.  2015, do or die.   

You are hopeless. Nothing was said about a bowl game this year in the thread title.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogcard1964

Asking for a minor bowl appearance really doesn't determine a good team any longer and isn't asking much.

Tejas_Pete

People are optimistic because the seasons hasn't started yet. You got to remember this is the board that thought Nate Rakestraw was going to be an all american SG and get the Hogs back to being basketball elite.

Mike Irwin

It seems to me that some people always want to be able to say, I told you so. They predict doom beforehand so they can look like experts when it happens.

The vast majority of people posting here don't use their own names. Who cares if you end up being right about your negative posts. We don't know who you are.

You might as well be standing in a dark closet yelling from behind the door, BRET BIELEMA CAN'T COACH. BRANDON ALLEN IS A TERRIBLE QB.

Meanwhile people are walking by asking themselves, Who the hell is that and what's he doing yelling to himself in a closet?

Open the door. Come into the light. Take a deep breath. Enjoy the view.

If this team does ends up sucking canal water there will still be plenty of time to go ape over it.

Dark Helmet Hog

AloRaptor

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 04, 2014, 08:31:18 am
It seems to me that some people always want to be able to say, I told you so. They predict doom beforehand so they can look like experts when it happens.

The vast majority of people posting here don't use their own names. Who cares if you end up being right about your negative posts. We don't know who you are.

You might as well be standing in a dark closet yelling from behind the door, BRET BIELEMA CAN'T COACH. BRANDON ALLEN IS A TERRIBLE QB.

Meanwhile people are walking by asking themselves, Who the hell is that and what's he doing yelling to himself in a closet?

If this team does ends up sucking canal water there will still be plenty of time to go ape over it.

+1 Mike  ;D

ImHogginIt

Quote from: JIHawg on August 03, 2014, 11:14:37 pm
Our living our history has a way of permeating our subconscious, which gives rise to those gut instincts that forms the foundation of our optimism and hope. 

What is our history exactly?  It is a program that has experienced, at least for sixty years, short valleys and wide peaks.  It's those wide peaks that feed our hope.  A quick review follows.

The Broyles years is the logical place to start.  He followed three very mediocre years with Jack Mitchell.  Frank's first year he lost his first several games, bud did manage to win 4 games.  Sound familiar?  He was 9-2 his second year and off and running.  His seventh year he won our only national championship.  During most of Frank's years, we were relevant, always in the top ten, going to a bowl most years.  After 19 years, and a record of 144-58-5, Frank was burning out.  He got out at just the right time, but he left his successor, Lou Holtz, a train load of talent. 

This dip didn't last long at all.  Short valleys, long peaks. Holtz hit the ground running, producing one of Arkansas' most glorious seasons and win in the Orange Bowl.  Holtz started 11-1, 9-2-1, 10-2, then, due to his distaste for recruiting, waned.  He was let go after seven years.

Hatfield started out typically slow, going 7-4-1 his first year.  Second year, 10-2.  Again, a short valley, and a long peak.  Hatfield took us to a bowl game every year he coached, and won the conference championship twice.

Crow, in two years, and Kines in one year, did not coach long enough to establish a trend.  Danny Ford was brought in and had a typical 6-4-1 first season.  His third season, he won the SEC west with an 8-5 record.  Danny just could not build on his success, and left after five years.  Nutt, like Holtz, inherited a boat load of talent and shot out the gate with a 9-3 record that came within a fumble of being in the NC game.  Nutt fumbled around and produced some decent years having the benefit of Matt Jones and Hillis/Mcfaddin/Jones.  He did win the west and took us to several bowl games.  Had he had any ability at all coaching, those could have/should have been some great years. 

Petrino came in and had two bad years then got us to a BCS bowl and won the Cotton Bowl and finished 5th in the nation.  Again, short valley, wide peak.  The peak just got cut off by the motorcycle ride from hell.

You said Ford could not build on his success. He could have if his AD wasn't a meddler and had allowed him to hire everyone he wanted as assistants.

JoeyCapital

I'm optimistic because razorback football at this point reminds me of the stock market in march of '09.

It's fallen so far you really don't have a choice but to start buying.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Piggfoot

Long time core fans are fans and supporters Long time. They have witnessed the highs and lows of Razorback football and they are still fans with hope that their team will represent their team and state well.
Long core fans look to the positive and try to build off of that. They aren't looking for the negative. They don't dwell on the "warts" of the team. When bad comes they know that good thing will come soon.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Tejas_Pete

I'm waiting to get excited about this season till we play Texas Tech. If we can beat them and look like an improved team I'll buy in. Till then sorry I'm just skeptical. Watching 2B's blow the Mississippi St game with his retarded fake punt was enough for me last year.

Hoggish1

Very good analysis! Thanks.

This coach is poised to bring us the widest peak of any thus far, considering that we are in the very best conference (nobody could have said that about the old SWC)...

Hoggish1

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 04, 2014, 08:46:39 am
You said Ford could not build on his success. He could have if his AD wasn't a meddler and had allowed him to hire everyone he wanted as assistants.

Ding, ding, ding...!

Dark Helmet Hog

I've always wondered how Ford would have done with the talent on the 98 team instead of Nutt.

EastexHawg

Contrived pessimism and feigned optimism are twins separated at birth. What we as non-participants say or think, positive or negative, is totally insignificant in terms of affecting outcomes.

Assess all available information and form an honest opinion, be it positive, negative, or neutral.  I don't know any other way to look at things. It's not a matter of trying to be right or wrong, just honest. 

None of us KNOW what is going to happen before a football game or season begins.

Mike Irwin

Kines in 1 year sounds like JLS. 

There could not be a bigger contrast between two interim head coaches than those two.

Kines worked himself to exhaustion. He'd be directing the defense in practice, then he'd put one of his coaches in charge and he'd run down the field to watch the offense.

He would arrive at the BAC before sun up. He'd go home close to midnight.

When he brought Danny Ford in to fix the kicking game problems he was warned that he was opening the door for Ford to get his job. Kines said he didn't care. He was trying to win games and Ford could help.

A week after the embarrassing Citadel loss at home under Jack Crowe, Kines had Arkansas beating South Carolina at South Carolina. They also upset Tennessee (when Tennessee was good) at Tennessee and managed to beat LSU.

When he told us that Broyles was not going to consider him for the job permanently he said, Guys I know you have a job to do but I can't talk. I need some sleep. I'll be back in a couple of days to answer your questions but for now I have to go home.

He had nothing left. He had, as they say, left everything on the field.

By contrast JLS sat on his butt and cracked jokes. That's all you need to know about him.

Peter Porker

Funny how ppl forget how salty Auburn was under CTT and LSU under Saban. Oh, and Miss St under CJS.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

IntegrityHog

Great call-out to the true fans.  We have some posers/fair-weather fans on here!

IntegrityHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 04, 2014, 09:27:21 am
There could not be a bigger contrast between two interim head coaches than those two.

Kines worked himself to exhaustion. He'd be directing the defense in practice, then he'd put one of his coaches in charge and he'd run down the field to watch the offense.

When he brought Danny Ford in to fix the kicking game problems he was warned that he was opening the door for Ford to get his job. Kines said he didn't care. He was trying to win games and Ford could help.

A week after the embarrassing Citadel loss at home under Jack Crowe, Kines had Arkansas beating South Carolina at South Carolina. They also upset Tennessee (when Tennessee was good) at Tennessee and managed to beat LSU.

When he told us that Broyles was not going to consider him for the job permanently he said, Guys I know you have a job to do but I can't talk. I need some sleep. I'll be back in a couple of days to answer your questions but for now I have to go home.

By contrast JLS sat on his butt and cracked jokes. That's all you need to know about him.

KineswasgreathecouldreallytalkfastandIwassadthathedidn'tgetthefull-timejob.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 04, 2014, 09:27:21 am

Great post sir.  :razorback:

I really liked Kines.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

brian.griffin.hogfan

I'm excited to have football start soon, but I dont find myself being so optimistic for the Hogs . I wish the  team and the coach the best of course. Realistically , I am just hoping we somehow squeak by into a bowl game with 6 wins.

hogsanity

And if the fans had not continually cried about his offensive style of play. The fans mercilessly bashed both Hatfield and Ford due to having a "boring" offense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WilsonHog

For me, it's pretty simple.

Razorback football games are my vacation. I'll spend four or five weekends in Fayetteville this fall.

I see no sense in being miserable or down about my vacation. If I was going to be.....I wouldn't vacation there anymore.

brian.griffin.hogfan

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 04, 2014, 10:00:43 am
For me, it's pretty simple.

Razorback football games are my vacation. I'll spend four or five weekends in Fayetteville this fall.

I see no sense in being miserable or down about my vacation. If I was going to be.....I wouldn't vacation there anymore.
Fville in the Fall, hog game...just turning cool....  not much better than that. Wish I could make it back  fora game or two. Enjoy it for those of us that can't get back!

MJ2

I have to say, this is the most pessimistic about a season that I have ever been.   Partly because of the tough schedule and partly because of the things I perceive in the program.

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

popcornhog

I disagree Mike -- I just predict what my honest expectation is.

Petrino's last year I fully expected and predicted 10+ wins. This year I predict five to seven wins. That's just what I see when I look at the roster and the schedule.

It'll get better though.
WPS

McKdaddy

Quote from: popcornhog on August 04, 2014, 11:25:30 am
I disagree Mike -- I just predict what my honest expectation is.

Petrino's last year I fully expected and predicted 10+ wins. This year I predict five to seven wins. That's just what I see when I look at the roster and the schedule.

It'll get better though.

Agreed. I predict 5 wins for this season. I like to think I make a yearly prediction (and in-season game-by-game picks) based on logic, not emotion, but that doesn't mean I have less of an emotional connection to the Razorbacks. I'll still happily attend each home game (and the battle for Texarkana) and root for the Hogs we all love.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

DLUXHOG

Yes, I can explain it.... Simply put, one has much more joy in their life if they embrace hope & optimism rather than wallow in the pit of despair, gloom, and depression....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

The same can be said of people who predict crazy positive records like 9 or 10 wins and beating Bama this year. If you ask people away from this board, the real average fan, most feel 5-6 wins is to be expected, which is reasonable.

Dirty

It doesn't matter to me what happened last week or last year.  I go in to each game thinking the hogs will win.  If not, we will get them the next game.

WPS !!!!!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 04, 2014, 12:09:12 pm
The same can be said of people who predict crazy positive records like 9 or 10 wins and beating Bama this year. If you ask people away from this board, the real average fan, most feel 5-6 wins is to be expected, which is reasonable.

I expect the best from these Hogs this year.   I will take it week to week thinking we can win each game before it is played.  If we lose a few, no harm or disappointment will be found in me....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

TMc

Nope- it will never change.

hogsanity

I am optimistic that the season could turn out better than many expect ( 7 or 8 wins instead of 5 or 6 ).  What drives me crazy are the " anything less than 8 wins is unacceptable " type of posts or talk. Saying less than 8 is unacceptable implies consequences, just what would those be if they only win 6 or 7 games?

PygmalionEffect

I'd rather read posts from anonymous posters on here that are able to take advantage of their anonymity to post their true opinions/observations in real time on what they think is going on with the team and players, positive and negative.  Coming from true fans it's more truthful, even if its not always accurate.

When someone uses their real identity you get comments like "all JLS did was sit around and tell jokes" two years after the guy left.  An opinion you probably won't find from the same poster in his post history during the time JLS was here.

What good is that?
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Hog N Bama

Because those of us that have been around for awhile remember when the Hogs were consistently winners and in the mix for major bowls. There is no reason why we can't be again.
There are some great years ahead for Arkansas. Just sit back and watch.
GO HOGS! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Locutus_of_Boar

Good summary JT.  Everyone is going to be looking back to 1964 this 50th anniversary year, with good reason of course but if you want the best example of history repeating itself I suggest looking back a decade earlier.

In 1953 John Barnhill brought Bowden Wyatt to Arkansas to pick up the pieces after Otis Douglass' high flying pro style offense crashed and burned.  Wyatt's first season was a struggle to reach 3-9 and expectations the following year were non-existent.  However Wyatt got them turned around enough in 1954 to surprise a SWC that was down that year and legendary back-to-back-to-back upset wins over Texas, Ole Miss, and Bear Bryant's Junction City Boys proved to be one of the most important 3 weeks in school history and paved the way for all the success that followed.

If the 2014 Razorbacks don't already know the story then CBB should invite the survivors to tell them of the adventures of 1954's 25 Little Pigs and how they changed Arkansas football history.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on August 04, 2014, 08:38:18 am
Kines was no JLS, not even close.

Joe Kines earned his pay and a lot more in 1992. 

John L. Smith just needed a paycheck to cash before leaving town.

footballfan

You got a different definition of "peak" than I do. I consider a top 10 team a peak, in which case we had been a loooooong time in a valley. But to answer your question, its because we have a new coach. If CBB were entering his fourth year with nothing to show for it, we, as a fanbase, probably wouldn't be very optimistic. It has nothing to do with history and everything to do with a still (fairly) new coach who (we hope) is building.

Peter Porker

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on August 04, 2014, 12:40:27 pm
I'd rather read posts from anonymous posters on here that are able to take advantage of their anonymity to post their true opinions/observations in real time on what they think is going on with the team and players, positive and negative.  Coming from true fans it's more truthful, even if its not always accurate.

When someone uses their real identity you get comments like "all JLS did was sit around and tell jokes" two years after the guy left.  An opinion you probably won't find from the same poster in his post history during the time JLS was here.

What good is that?

Shots fired.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.