Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UT-Martin will be the 4th OOC game in 2015

Started by ricepig, August 03, 2014, 12:25:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BPsTheMan

I like Jeff Long, support him, but his vision on scheduling needs to improve

UT Martin - this is total crap

Boardon Hamsay

I thought UT Martin was a moving company or a brand of luggage. I guess given last year and this year's scheduling brutality, UT Martin is hitting the other extreme. It could be worse I suppose. Michigan comes on here in a few years and I thought we had a deal with TCU as well but maybe that series fell through.

Edit: yep, TCU comes on in '16/17 and Michigan comes on in '18/19.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on August 03, 2014, 12:35:59 pm
I thought UT Martin was a moving company or a brand of luggage.

Harding and Ouachita Baptist can seriously give UT-Martin a run for their money on any Saturday

ricepig

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 03, 2014, 12:31:15 pm

I think we'll always play an FCS until it isn't either cost effective, or the SEC mandates against it.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 03, 2014, 12:37:50 pm
Harding and Ouachita Baptist can seriously give UT-Martin a run for their money on any Saturday

I agree. Not a great SOS builder. I'd like to see us get a lower ACC/B1G team on the scheddy more often.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

BPsTheMan

Quote from: ricepig on August 03, 2014, 12:38:04 pm
I think we'll always play an FCS until it isn't either cost effective, or the SEC mandates against it.

I know that

but find some type of "flavor" in it. Cal Poly. Villanova. Abilene Christian... something

reaching across Blytheville and Dyersburg to Martin, TN is just not even trying

ricepig

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on August 03, 2014, 12:48:49 pm
I agree. Not a great SOS builder. I'd like to see us get a lower ACC/B1G team on the scheddy.

We play Michigan in 2018/2019.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 03, 2014, 12:51:47 pm
I know that

but find some type of "flavor" in it. Cal Poly. Villanova. Abilene Christian... something

reaching across Blytheville and Dyersburg to Martin, TN is just so exciting

Yep. We need some non-conference "strange".

popcornhog

I don't know how much, if anything, he's had to do with this, but we've got TTU, have had &M, and will be playing, Texas, Michigan, Toledo, UTEP, and TCU in upcoming schedules.

That's the sort of scheduling I want. A cream puff or two, a decent team or two, and one big game out of conference.
WPS

IntegrityHog

Genius move by Jeff.  This will give us a breather after the first part of our conference schedule, and could open up some recruiting inroads to Tennessee.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: popcornhog on August 03, 2014, 12:53:48 pm
I don't know how much, if anything, he's had to do with this, but we've got TTU, have had &M, and will be playing, Texas, Michigan, Toledo, UTEP, and TCU in upcoming schedules.

That's the sort of scheduling I want. A cream puff or two, a decent team or two, and one big game out of conference.

I know that.

I'm not saying toughen the schedule with another 1A

I'm saying pick a 1-AA that's not a total embarrassment

Razorback4

We have TCU in 2016 and 17 and then Michigan in 18 and 19

BPsTheMan

how about Grambling.

Cal Davis

VMI and honor their military commitment before the game and at halftime

Lamar

etc.

BigSexyHog

Nothing wrong with this type of game.  Heck  some of ya'll want to play a top 5 team every week
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

ricepig

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 03, 2014, 12:59:21 pm
how about Grambling.

Cal Davis

VMI and honor their military commitment before the game and at halftime

Lamar

etc.

We play Nicholls St this year, about the same I'd think.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: BigSexyHog on August 03, 2014, 01:00:24 pm
Nothing wrong with this type of game.  Heck  some of ya'll want to play a top 5 team every week

(sigh)

no

play one top level 1A non conference opponent
play two rent-a-win 1A opponents
play one 1AA opponent

everyone knows this - no one is talking about anything different - been doing this for years, and it will continue

I'm saying give it some flavor.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: ricepig on August 03, 2014, 01:02:01 pm
We play Nicholls St this year, about the same I'd think.

rice, there are 1AA's with a little flavor, and then some with none

I take it you don't work in marketing  :D

ricepig

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 03, 2014, 01:06:27 pm
rice, there are 1AA's with a little flavor, and then some with none

I take it you don't work in marketing  :D

I take it you don't work in scheduling.   :D

BPsTheMan

Quote from: ricepig on August 03, 2014, 01:07:58 pm
I take it you don't work in scheduling.   :D

So you really don't see how Villanova or Grambling would have more spice than Nichols State or UT Martin?

PRORODEO51

Maybe the Tennessee -Martin game will be the Little Rock game since we only have 3 conference games home  next year. You know we aren't going to play only 2 conference games in Fayetteville.

Huckleberry Pig

wish we could do a little better than UT-Martin.  I didn't even know there was a UT-Martin.  I understand our schedule is tough, but really, UT Martin? 

ricepig

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 03, 2014, 01:09:19 pm
So you really don't see how Villanova or Grambling would have more spice than Nichols State or UT Martin?

Not to the average fan, no. I could see Grambling, but I don't know if they play D-I's these days. The fact is, your typical/local FCS will bus in for a lot less than you could pay Villanova to fly down and play.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on August 03, 2014, 01:10:41 pm
wish we could do a little better than UT-Martin.  I didn't even know there was a UT-Martin.  I understand our schedule is tough, but really, UT Martin?

Martin, TN

population 11K, possibly even 12K by now

strategically located precisely in the middle of some farmland

pretty damn exciting

guess we could say Martin High or whatever was Cannon Whitby's top rival in HS basketball maybe

Tick Hog

This isn't basketball we don't have to build up our strengh of schedule. I could care less if we played 4 UT Martin's OC I'm tired of sitting at home during Dec

BPsTheMan

Quote from: ricepig on August 03, 2014, 01:13:45 pm
Not to the average fan, no. I could see Grambling, but I don't know if they play D-I's these days. The fact is, your typical/local FCS will bus in for a lot less than you could pay Villanova to fly down and play.

avoiding paying airfare to a 1AA

the new paradigm in college football

weresoclose

We need the best chance to go bowling we can get in 2015, or Brett and Long by extension are in deep doodoo.  6 wins in 2015 is not a guarantee by any stretch.  Scheduling a tougher opponent would be bad for both men.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Tick Hog on August 03, 2014, 01:19:01 pm
This isn't basketball we don't have to build up our strengh of schedule. I could care less if we played 4 UT Martin's OC I'm tired of sitting at home during Dec

yeah, those 1AA teams have a history of keeping us out of bowls

BPsTheMan

Quote from: weresoclose on August 03, 2014, 01:21:42 pm
We need the best chance to go bowling we can get in 2015, or Brett (and Long by extension) are in deep doodoo.  6 wins in 2015 is not a guarantee by any stretch.  Scheduling a tougher opponent would be bad for both men.

omg, wow, sigh...

trashcan maN

Quote from: Tick Hog on August 03, 2014, 01:19:01 pm
I'm with you. Forget about SOS. A game against a baddie like Martin will take us from the #5 SOS to like #11..If we run the table in conference, we'll be in the playoffs. End of story.

Tick Hog

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 03, 2014, 01:23:47 pm
I'm with you. Forget about SOS. A game against a baddie like Martin will take us from the #5 SOS to like #11..If we run the table in conference, we'll be in the playoffs. End of story.
Exactly

BPsTheMan

we need two threads for this:

"Scheduling UT Martin for those who understand what 1AA means."

"Scheduling UT Martin for those who are glad we penciled in UT Martin over Clemson"

weresoclose

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 03, 2014, 01:22:47 pm
omg, wow, sigh...

You would prefer we actually try to stay home again in the post-season?  We MUST go bowling in 2015.  MUST.  Any win -- any win at all to pad the W-L record -- is a good thing.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: weresoclose on August 03, 2014, 01:27:08 pm
You would prefer we actually try to stay home again in the post-season?  We MUST go bowling in 2015.  MUST.  Any win -- any win at all to pad the W-L record -- is a good thing.

which year did we not make a bowl because of a 1AA?

weresoclose

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 03, 2014, 01:26:24 pm

"Scheduling UT Martin for those who are glad we penciled in UT Martin over Clemson"

1. "Scheduling UT Martin for those who think we'll win 8 games this season (and who thought we'd win 8 last year and 11 the year before) and need a tougher SOS"

2. "Scheduling UT Martin for those who realize we've averaged 3.5 wins the last 2 seasons and likely won't be bowling for the 3rd year in a row in 2014 and are on the verge of another 10+ year setback" 

weresoclose

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 03, 2014, 01:30:58 pm

Exactly.  A "W" no matter how weak has never kept a team from going bowling.  However, "Ls" keep teams every year from going bowling, and if we lose to TTech and still win 5 games, you'll see what I mean come December.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: weresoclose on August 03, 2014, 01:31:28 pm
1. "Scheduling UT Martin for those who think we'll win 8 games this season (and who thought we'd win 8 last year and 11 the year before) and need a tougher SOS"

2. "Scheduling UT Martin for those who realize we've averaged 3.5 wins the last 2 seasons and likely won't be bowling for the 3rd year in a row in 2014 and are on the verge of another 10+ year setback"

Tick Hog

[/
You just don't get it. That's cool though

Tick Hog

Wildhog

We are in the cellar of the SEC-W.  I'm very okay with this.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

weresoclose

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 03, 2014, 01:33:10 pm

Never.  It never has.  Thank you from proving my point: why not schedule a sure-fire, easy W -- what with our lack of depth and inability to sustain injuries and definitely our inability to sustain an OOC loss? Also, when heads will roll if we don't make it to 6 wins...

hoggusamoungus

Both Kentucky and Mississippi State are playing crap this year.

secfan30

Quote from: BigSexyHog on August 03, 2014, 01:00:24 pm

And then would complain when we aren't winning 80% of the time. We already consistently have a top 5 schedule every year.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: weresoclose on August 03, 2014, 01:36:02 pm
Never.  It never has.  Thank you from proving my point: why not schedule a sure-fire, easy W -- what with our lack of depth and inability to sustain injuries and definitely our inability to sustain an OOC loss? Also, when heads will roll if we don't make it to 6 wins...

:D

wereso, dude, I'm not comparing 1A teams to 1AA teams - not sure how you missed this

I'm comparing 1AA to 1AA - I'm saying we could be a bit more selective on the lone 1AA game

Hogwild

2015 Schedule question-

We open up the season with UTEP, the Texas Tech and Toledo games are in Fayetteville.

So which game is in Little Rock?
UT-Martin
Miss State
Auburn
Missouri

QuoteA week after hosting UTEP, Arkansas welcomes the Toledo Rockets to Fayetteville. The game, which was officially announced in January, will be the first ever meeting between the two.

Arkansas' third consecutive non-conference game is slated for Sept. 19 in Fayetteville against the Texas Tech Red Raiders. The game is the second of a home-and-home series that kicks off on Sept. 13 this season in Lubbock

BPsTheMan

I'm not an expert on the history of uneducated lynch mobs, but I'm guessing this is a microcosm of how they started

;D

Hoggish1

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on August 03, 2014, 01:37:44 pm
Both Kentucky and Mississippi State are playing crap this year.

All the SEC schools have these type games. Fans don't want games like these because they have to pay to much to sit in the stands for rented wins.  I say lower the seats to $40 throughout and then it won't matter so much, to the fans, who we play.  The SEC is rolling in $ and the team deserves to play all games before a packed house.

But these games will naturally go away when we get to an eight team playoff.  Get tickets down to $40 and leave them there...

trashcan maN

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 03, 2014, 01:26:24 pm

1AA doesn't mean anything anymore. It's been FCS since 2006. You would have to participate in thread 1 ;D

Hawghiggs