Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

gambling and the handicap index

Started by alwaysondbigscreen, August 03, 2014, 09:27:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

alwaysondbigscreen

Quote from: gotyacovered on August 06, 2014, 12:36:17 pm
vegas
-4 players
-doller value established per point... depending on who is playing it either $.25, $.50 or $1.
-teams are established by hole... after the tee shot, the two most left balls as you look back TO the tee are on a team...
-so if you and i are on a team (par 4) and i make bogey and you make par... we scored 45. if the two players both make par... they have 44 and won 1 point off us on that hole. same scenario, i bogey, you par but they have a birdie and a par (34) it flips our scored to 54 and they win 20 points. its a running total...

dolla game is a little more complicated to expain, (wheres billcollector when you need him)

1st hole is worth a dollar, which is the base bet... for every tie, the base bet increases by that amount... tie the first three holes... the hole is worth $3. every time a hole is won. the base bet goes up a $1.

tie first three holes the card reads 0/3. say i win that hole it will go to +3/2 (base bet goes up $1). we tie the next hole it goes to +3/4 (base increases by base dollar amount... in this case $2); tie another it goes to +3/6 (base bets $2); say i win again... it will then go to +9/3; we tie again... im +9/6; i lose the next hole it goes to +3/4, lose next hole it goes to -1/5, etc, etc.

in short... the base bet goes up a dollar on wins; on ties the base bet goes up by the amount of the base bet... it doesnt double...

on 18 you have the option to bump the base bet to what you are down... double or nothing--basically. we play it by the team, not the person just to keep it friendly. my best bud and i play it everytime straight up and we chop--again not trying to get rich, just want to play for something.

its gotta be the best gambling game for golf there is... love it. its not for everybody, you have to win the right holes... we played yesterday and i bogied the last hole, when from winning $64 to ZERO--just like that... so i didnt win anything and beat my opponent by 6-7 shots. tough to swallow sometimes, but thats why i like it... some holes are more important thatn others and you get to test your clutch craft out b/c it can change fast.
got it   i havnt played the second game, but vegas we  called russian for some reason. just might have to try dolla
some say he's a cia experiment gone wrong

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: alwaysondbigscreen on August 05, 2014, 04:05:32 pm
some of that has to do with the slope rating. us open conditions are gonna be a whole lot tougher than the local course. its feasable that some of those 80s and 90 in us open qualifing would equate to a 70 at your local course

Some of it due to tough setups, yes.
Some of it due to inaccurate handicaps, also. Enough to make the USGA take notice and see if something can be done about it.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: gotyacovered on August 05, 2014, 04:17:12 pm
where do you play?

Everywhere. Name a course, I've probably played it. Except Alotian.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: alwaysondbigscreen on August 06, 2014, 09:05:10 am
dont have any problems with any of that. we do that also, except we do play it down almost all the time.
theres golf then there is tourney golf.
and almost no one i play with can count higher than a double on their card anyway.
its all about who i play with, i dont care that much, whatever way the guys wanna play it is fine with me

You play how most people play.
I generally play the ball exactly as it lies these days...but my 'fudging' generally involves maybe allowing one mulligan(due to lack of warmup most of the time) and short putts, simply to pick up pace of play. Agree on the lining up the 2-footer. Just takes too much time. Sometimes I'll putt it, sometimes I'll pick it up.
It's all about pace and having fun. Fresh air. I'm not entering my scores, except in my head, so I'm not hurting anybody. If people ask for scores, I usually give a range that's accurate(70s, 80s, etc).

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: gotyacovered on August 06, 2014, 09:08:21 am
A LOT of people play DB max, good rule... keeps someone from really inflating their score... although everybody needs a snowman on there card every once and a while.

Totally agree with all of these posts. This is how most play.
Heck, this is how 'I' play.
Only problem is posting these scores to establish a handicap. That's the whole point. I don't think, if for example, you don't allow a score higher than a double, that you should ever post those scores. It totally skews the GHIN system. If you shot 113, you should post 113 in the GHIN.

GolfNut57

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on August 06, 2014, 06:19:40 pm
Totally agree with all of these posts. This is how most play.
Heck, this is how 'I' play.
Only problem is posting these scores to establish a handicap. That's the whole point. I don't think, if for example, you don't allow a score higher than a double, that you should ever post those scores. It totally skews the GHIN system. If you shot 113, you should post 113 in the GHIN.

Are you familiar with the phrase "equitable stroke control"? For those that have established GHIN handicaps they are required to post no higher than a set score on any given hole based on their handicap. That is from the USGA.

http://www.usga.org/handicapping/articles_resources/USGA-Position-Paper-on-the-Equitable-Stroke-Control-Procedure/
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Pulled(PP)pork

pisses my playing partner off when I score a 9 on a bad hole but can only count a double due to GHIN....lol

PP

Lagavulin16

I believe the equitable stroke control (ESC) is for handicap purposes only.  If you are playing in a tournament, score an 8 on a hole, but based on your handicap cannot post any score higher than a 7, the stroke comes off only when you post your score in GHIN for handicap.  It is still an 8 on your scorecard for scoring (and betting) purposes.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Lagavulin16 on August 30, 2014, 02:53:08 pm
I believe the equitable stroke control (ESC) is for handicap purposes only.  If you are playing in a tournament, score an 8 on a hole, but based on your handicap cannot post any score higher than a 7, the stroke comes off only when you post your score in GHIN for handicap.  It is still an 8 on your scorecard for scoring (and betting) purposes.

that would be correct.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.