Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ike Forte...a little throwback

Started by BorderPatrol, August 02, 2014, 09:18:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BorderPatrol

Nice little article in a local Texarkana magazine about the former Hog great.

http://www.alt-mag.com/current-issue.html

Ike is about as good as they come. Great guy and proud to call him a Razorback.

bp

Torqued pork

August 03, 2014, 03:17:39 am #1 Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:27:40 am by Torqued pork
Forte was a big time rb and when he and even a semi-healthy Jerry Eckwood were together they were electric. I'll always remember that #85 tear-away jersey.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Torqued pork on August 03, 2014, 03:17:39 am
Forte was a big time rb and when he and even a semi-healthy Jerry Eckwood were together they were electric. I'll always remember that #85 tear-away jersey.
and dipping that shoulder as he turns the corner.

hogster60

I lived in Mass. At the time and went to a Pats game with my Razorback jersey in hand. Pretty sure it was preseason and at the end of the game when Ike was walking off, I yelled "hey Ike! WPS! And his head jerked around he came over and shook my hand.  I just said I will be pulling for you and he said thanks.  It was a good memory.

WilsonHog

Pig Worshipper

Very nice article. Thank you. Ike was one of my favorites! Looks like he's still in good shape, too.

termite

I played with Ike thru the 1970 season at Texas High. Ike was a beast of a running back and proved it every time he took the field. When he became a Hog,it was one of my happiest days of my life. Thanks for the link. It brought back lots of memories.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: hogster60 on August 03, 2014, 06:25:32 am
I lived in Mass. At the time and went to a Pats game with my Razorback jersey in hand. Pretty sure it was preseason and at the end of the game when Ike was walking off, I yelled "hey Ike! WPS! And his head jerked around he came over and shook my hand.  I just said I will be pulling for you and he said thanks.  It was a good memory.

Good story!  Worth your first +1!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

1highhog

I thank you for posting the story of Mr. Forte.  I remember watching him play like it was yesterday, yet it's been so many years ago.  He sounds as though he had a similar upbringing as I did, but he never let that get him down, he kept his chin up and look at him now, he married his sweetheart, they've been married for 38 years, still seems to love the Razorbacks.  I'd love to be able to talk to him and other players like him that played during his time on the hill and just soak in all those stories they could tell, I would love that.  Thanks Ike for giving us the chance to see a small part of your life through this interview you gave, and thank you for the great memories you gave us playing for the Hogs.

edt

I was in Barnhill playing pickup basketball the 1st time I saw Ike. He was in a cut off tee shirt and those old grey short gym shorts. Dude was ripped, I had never seen a guy that muscular back in those days before serious weight training. I can only imagine what he would look like today. He was seriously bow legged, and I think it made him harder to knock off his feet. I wish we had one like him now.

Hawgzilla

I work with Ike....Still looks like he could play today...

1highhog

Quote from: Hawgzilla on August 03, 2014, 06:49:47 pm
I work with Ike....Still looks like he could play today...

Tell Ike his story was posted on Hogville and that he still has a lot of fans that remember his days on the hill.  I wish we had some of those same type players like him today that were tough as iron.

Hawgzilla

I showed him the Hawgville post and he told me it almost brings a tear to his eye....He says he loves it when people think of him as one of the Arkansas greats....
     He is one of the most humble person you would ever want to be around. I had him sign my History of Arkansas vault and he was so happy to do so....Said it was his first touchdown as a Razorback...

PonderinHog

carolinahogger

Great article.  My dad took my brother and me to all the LR games during a season when Ike and Jerry Eckwood were both playing.  Forte is one of the all time great Razorback running backs.

GolfnHog

Quote from: Hawgzilla on August 04, 2014, 10:26:25 am
I showed him the Hawgville post and he told me it almost brings a tear to his eye....He says he loves it when people think of him as one of the Arkansas greats....
     He is one of the most humble person you would ever want to be around. I had him sign my History of Arkansas vault and he was so happy to do so....Said it was his first touchdown as a Razorback...

Please tell Ike we don't "think" he's one of the Hogs greats! we're smart enough to know he is. We watched him!!! Just wish I'd have had the chance to meet  him when I lived in T-town back in the early 90's. !!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

PygmalionEffect

Great article. 

One of my favorite players from the 70's.

Ike said he doesn't understand folks wanting his autograph.

I'd be one of those folks.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

I can still remember the great Lindsey Nelson broadcasting the 1976 Cotton Bowl on CBS.  "Handoff to Ike Forte, there he goes!"

A great win for Arkansas over Georgia, 31-10.  The SWC was tough back in those days! 

alohawg

Ike Forte was absolutely electric, a crowd on the edge of their seats player for sure......and I thought one of the coolest names too.  :)
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

HognotinMemphis

What does this have to do with current Razorback football?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

razorbackkid

Quote from: HoginMemphis on August 05, 2014, 11:22:31 am
What does this have to do with current Razorback football?
Too early to be drunk and posting at the same time.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

EastexHawg

Ike was a great back and one of the key contributors in our "return to glory" in 1975 after a few down years.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 05, 2014, 11:30:00 am
Too early to be drunk and posting at the same time.
I wish someone would post something about Joe Ferguson too. I love Razorback football history and reliving the past.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

razorbackkid

Quote from: HoginMemphis on August 05, 2014, 12:47:06 pm
I wish someone would post something about Joe Ferguson too. I love Razorback football history and reliving the past.
Considering the past couple seasons, ancient history is filled with good stories. :)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 05, 2014, 01:40:15 pm
Considering the past couple seasons, ancient history is filled with good stories. :)
Touche.

Lanny

I remember watching Ike Forte, I believe he started at Arkansas as a Tight End and kept the number 85 when Broyles moved Ike to running back.  Someone correct me If I am wrong
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Iwastherein1969

Ike still makes his home in Texarkana. He is as honest and straight-forward of a man that one can find. I remember when I first met Ike, I had moved from Stephens, AR with my family to Texarkana in 1992 and we placed membership at the Walnut Church of Christ in Texarkana. Our first Sunday to attend we were about to enter communion with Christ and the servers were introduced, well, much to my surprise, the prayer and server of the bread (body) was introduced, I could see he was an African American man and I almost lost it when the name Ike Forte came from the preacher's mouth.

I was giddy with excitement because there was my teenage hero, right there, about to commune with me. I know what should have been more important but at the time, well, it was Forte and his #85 that occupied my mind. Nowdays, its not the big of a deal, but as far as being an honest and good man, Ike who is now a Deacon at the same church, you could find none better. You'd never know that he was a Razorback and Patriot and a hero to all Hog fans, the man has too much humility for that. Glad to see Ike get some of the credit he deserves because he never would ask for it.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

elksnort