Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas basketball camp updates

Started by The Recruiting Guy, August 02, 2014, 05:42:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

You just knew Peyton Willis's name had to start hitting this forum.

redeye

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 02, 2014, 05:54:59 pm
You just knew Peyton Willis's name had to start hitting this forum.

Any relation to Peyton Hillis?

The Hogfather

razorsharp96

Vanover 7'1 185 pounds? Is that physically possible? He may be tall, but the kid has to add some major weight. A guard could back him down and then just use speed to beat him. Overall, good sounding prospects.
"I don't create controversies. They're there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention."  ~ Charles Barkley

Hawg Red

Looks like we should be able to lock up some big men in the coming years.

RazorAg

It was good for this camp to resume after not happening last year.  The year before last, there was a lot of talent there, and far more kids than Pel's Elite Camps.  Before I go into it, realize that these camps are mostly attended by younger guys.  Also, the best 2016 kids' attendance is spotty due to coming off heavy grassroots play and national camps in June and July.  So, often, you get the best look at rising sophomores and younger, and that was definitely the case yesterday.

One 2016 kid that stood out is DeShawn Williams, a 6'0-6'1-ish combo guard from Maumelle, who spent last high school season at Prime Prep Academy in Dallas.  Prime Prep may ring a bell, as it was founded by Deion Sanders, and it was recently shut down by the state of Texas.  Emmanuel Mudiay, who we were supposed to face at SMU next season, was the star of the team last year, and instead of landing at SMU, he signed a pro contract in China.  I've talked about Williams some on here, and my opinion remains the same - he either needs to grow (really light, too) or develop rapidly as a PG prospect to be effective at the high major level.  He reports offers from UConn, TCU and Colorado, but I'm betting the UConn offer is contingent on more development.  One thing is for sure; he can stroke it.  And, he's pretty good with the ball in his hands, especially in P&R situations, but he struggles when he gets among the trees due to his size, lack of strength and average explosiveness; he's also more of a scorer than passer.  All said, he showed well yesterday, and has a chance to be a good college player.  I'd personally keep on holding if I were our staff.  Oh, he'll be back at Maumelle High this year.

Ryan Pippins, another 2016 6'0-6'1-ish combo guard from LR Parkview, also has a chance at the D1 level.  Built like a truck with a nice handle, he's really good offensively at the high school level.  He was an integral part of the 16U Arkansas Wings Elite this summer, a squad that was one of the best in the nation.  Again, size, average explosiveness and more scorer than facilitator are the hurdles.

One more 2016 prospect wasn't participating due to ankle injury, Payton Willis 6'3 combo guard from Fayetteville.  Have talked about this kid a good bit; really like him.  He was arguably the 16U Wings Elite's best player this summer.  Knockdown shooter with a good handle and feel for the game, I think he was the best 2016 prospect in attendance.  He's getting high major looks including Arkansas.  One to watch.

The most intriguing and possibly best prospect there yesterday was 2017 S.K. Shittu 6'7-'6'8 Post from Rogers Providence Academy.  Originally from Nigeria, he's raw, yes, but super athletic, super long, with super energy.  Decent hands, decent feet and decent shot and coordination for his size.  I'm really excited about this kid.  He jumped out at you as you watched.  Had the most spectacular play of the day, as he took 7'0 2018 prospect, Connor Vanover, off the bounce from the elbow.  Took one dribble, rose up as if he was going for a sky hook, but instead, hammered it home from outside the lane.  Again, the athleticism and length were impressive.  Hope he stays in-state.  Another recruiting writer said that Memphis along with us are giving him attention at this time.

As mentioned, 7'0 rising freshman Connor Vanover from Arkansas Baptist, was there.  If some of you missed it, he's received some national pub this summer due to his size and skill.  He showed that skill yesterday, knocking down several long jumpers.  For his unusual size, he has good ball skills and knows how to play the game.  As you would imagine, he's just slow, and that showed yesterday.  He still blocked a good number of shots.  As I said within the last two weeks on a few boards, he just needs to really work on his strength, mobility and in general, toughness.  Will be interesting to watch.

Highly touted Reginald Perry, a 6'7-ish 2018 Wing from Tallahassee (originally from Little Rock), was there, and flashed.  His ball skills really jump out for a kid his age and size.  Has a lot of high major interest already, including us.  Should be a very nice player down the road.  Plays with the Arkansas Hawks alongside another great 2018 prospect, Ethan Henderson.

I've talked about Ethan Henderson some; really excited about this kid, who is somewhere in the 6'6 range, but with great athleticism and great, large hands that really allow him to finish well.  Of the "young" kids I saw this spring/summer, I thought he was the best in-state prospect.  Will be at LR Parkview in the fall, and I have no doubt that he'll get a good amount of playing time as a freshman next season.  He didn't do a lot yesterday.  I don't know if he was sick or tired, but I would've like to have seen more motor.  Lot of talent to be realized the next few years.

Lastly, I'll highlight 6'8-6'9 Daniel Gafford, a rising sophomore from El Dorado.  Really long with decent athleticism, he flashed here and there.  He's pretty weak and didn't go as hard as you would like to see, but there's potential there.

If the above talent develops at a normal rate, we will be in a good spot to land some good-sized talent down the road.  It's been a good spring/summer of basketball, and I was happy to cap it with this camp.

hs6

Payton Willis is a very solid PG prospect. I've heard he's grown from his 6'3" frame, but I could be wrong. His best attribute is his change of pace with the ball in his hand.

SK is high energy and willing to learn. Great kid too. I hope he continues to improve.

I thought I read somewhere that Connor Vanover has grown 7 inches in 7 months. If true, that would make sense to as why he's so light. He'll catch up. Extremely skilled for his height though.

Hogimus Prime

Hopefully MA can get some of these kids.  Sounds like they'd fit in his system.