Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bobby Portis height

Started by razorhogfanatic, July 31, 2014, 07:46:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhogfanatic

I was watching the sports segment on KATV the other day. They were discussing about the optimism for the upcoming season, and focused a lot on Bobby Portis. They said that he is 6'11". I know that he was originally listed at 6'10". Does anyone know if he actually grew an inch. I know that listed heights often fluctuate, though.

Mike Irwin

I saw him today next to Trey Thompson who is supposedly 6-10. Portis is two inches taller than Thompson. I suspect that Thompson is actually 6-9 and Portis is right at 6-11.

In their basketball shoes Thompson is likely 6-10 and Portis is 7-0.

secfan30

Wow, when was the last time we had some one effective at those heights.

Hawg Red

Quote from: secfan30 on July 31, 2014, 08:00:04 pm
Wow, when was the last time we had some one effective at those heights.

Mike Washington was about Trey's height. Probably have to go back to Joe Kleine for someone Bobby's height.

Big Daddy

There was a picture on Twitter yesterday of Portis and Kingsley. Portis looked like he was 4-6 inches taller than Moses.

FaytownHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 31, 2014, 08:02:22 pm
Mike Washington was about Trey's height. Probably have to go back to Joe Kleine for someone Bobby's height.
or just Steven Hill.

jbcarol

Al LeBron James Skills Academy earlier this month:

with shoes   WT   Wingspan
Bobby Portis   NA   6' 10.5"   235   7' 1.5"

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=2014
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hawg Red

Quote from: FaytownHog on July 31, 2014, 08:17:18 pm
or just Steven Hill.

You'd probably spark a lot of debate labeling Steven as "effective." Defensively? No doubt. But he had a career scoring average of 4 PPG. This is why I didn't mention him.

bulldog04

online-with-swine

-Blu

So, if they are 6' 10.5" they are listed as 6'11 right?  I've never seen an ESPN profile of a player and said they were 6' 1.5". 

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

FaytownHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 31, 2014, 08:25:55 pm
You'd probably spark a lot of debate labeling Steven as "effective." Defensively? No doubt. But he had a career scoring average of 4 PPG. This is why I didn't mention him.
Your quote didn't say "effective". Just said "to find someone Bobby's height"

FaytownHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 31, 2014, 08:25:55 pm
But I agree with you on him of course. No O to be had but definitely was good on D.

RazorAg

Quote from: -Blu on July 31, 2014, 08:35:45 pm
So, if they are 6' 10.5" they are listed as 6'11 right?  I've never seen an ESPN profile of a player and said they were 6' 1.5". 

Yeah, they'll most likely round up to 6'11.

Also, for others, Bobby is about an inch taller than Moses.

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 31, 2014, 07:57:15 pm
I saw him today next to Trey Thompson who is supposedly 6-10. Portis is two inches taller than Thompson. I suspect that Thompson is actually 6-9 and Portis is right at 6-11.

In their basketball shoes Thompson is likely 6-10 and Portis is 7-0.

Mike....I'm giddy about football season which is right around the corner, but this post got me a little excited for basketball season (my true passion anyway)!!

I have a feeling that this could be a special season for the Hogs....the likes we haven't seen since the late 90's....

choppedporkextrasauce

Hawg Red

Quote from: FaytownHog on July 31, 2014, 08:49:53 pm
Your quote didn't say "effective". Just said "to find someone Bobby's height"

Poster I responded to asked when the last time we had someone effective at those heights, so I gave the player for each height that I thought was the last "effective" player. Washington for Trey and Joe for Bobby.

Hogimus Prime

Its all just a guessing game when it comes to a players true height. 

Saw where Thompson was 6'10" in shoes.  Seen Portis listed at 6'10" to 6'11" in shoes.  I've read listings on draftexpress.com for different years and you'll see the same player listed a several times and at different heights from camp to camp.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Bobby was so much fun to watch last year.  He's so passionate about the Hogs, and it's been a while since I've seen a big man with the soft hands/touch he has.  He's very smooth for a guy his size.

He just needs to be a little more aggressive on the boards and going inside, but that will come.  He and Kingsley should be a force this season down low.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

intelligence

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on July 31, 2014, 09:39:38 pm

Mike....I'm giddy about football season which is right around the corner, but this post got me a little excited for basketball season (my true passion anyway)!!

I have a feeling that this could be a special season for the Hogs....the likes we haven't seen since the late 90's....
I've been thinking the same thing. Lets hope our optimism doesn't betray us. Go hogs

dhornjr1

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 31, 2014, 10:01:38 pm
Poster I responded to asked when the last time we had someone effective at those heights, so I gave the player for each height that I thought was the last "effective" player. Washington for Trey and Joe for Bobby.

Darnell Robinson was effective at times.

secfan30

That's true... It's been longer than I thought. Big O crossed my mind, but he was prob no more than 6'9

bulldog04

chiefhawg

Quote from: dhornjr1 on August 01, 2014, 03:51:05 am
Darnell Robinson was effective at times.
Lee Wilson was effective at times as well.

PonderinHog

ICEman

Hau Tau is someone from China.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Adam Stokes

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

This has Portis as the #12 pick in next year's draft.  Deep down I'm hoping that Bobby isn't considered a lottery pick this next year.

RazorAg

RazorAg

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

secfan30

nationwish

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 31, 2014, 10:07:57 pm
Its all just a guessing game when it comes to a players true height. 

Saw where Thompson was 6'10" in shoes.  Seen Portis listed at 6'10" to 6'11" in shoes.  I've read listings on draftexpress.com for different years and you'll see the same player listed a several times and at different heights from camp to camp.

That will happen legitimately, though. Your height will change a little over the course of every day due to spinal compression. I'd guess the average person will change in height about an inch from the morning to the evening. So if one camp takes measurements in the morning while another takes them in the evening, you could see some different numbers. Also, if height can vary from times within a single day, I could see how it could vary day to day, depending on activity level on those days. Apparently, people have used exercises like yoga to become taller with some success.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: nationwish on August 01, 2014, 04:21:35 pm
That will happen legitimately, though. Your height will change a little over the course of every day due to spinal compression. I'd guess the average person will change in height about an inch from the morning to the evening. So if one camp takes measurements in the morning while another takes them in the evening, you could see some different numbers. Also, if height can vary from times within a single day, I could see how it could vary day to day, depending on activity level on those days. Apparently, people have used exercises like yoga to become taller with some success.

Thats kin of what I was trying to get at.  Its crazy how a person can have an inch difference in their height over just a day.

-Blu

Quote from: Adam Stokes on August 01, 2014, 10:26:33 am
http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

This has Portis as the #12 pick in next year's draft.  Deep down I'm hoping that Bobby isn't considered a lottery pick this next year.

I still think unless Portis is a consensus top 10 pick he'll come back to Arkansas if we have a decent year, especially if we have a couple decent recruits coming in and we don't lose a lot of guys, which we shouldn't.

But even if he does leave or stays it's really a win/win for us.  Because if Bobby leaves and is a lottery pick, that will hopefully put an end to the stereotype that it's harder to go pro from Arkansas or CMA's system.  Because as of right now all the staff can really say is "Look at Demarre Carroll" and he was a Mizzou guy, so that really doesn't count.  Portis would have shown he lead the team in minutes played his freshman year and broke records, then in his sophomore year he increased his draft stock and was an all SEC player and was a lottery pick.  No amount of wins can say that to a recruit and make them feel more confident about your ability to get them to the next level than an actual prior recruit being in the NBA and had a successful college campaign in the process.

I think that will really help when we're talking about recruiting guys like Malik Monk, Terrance Ferguson, and De'Ron Davis.  In an interview I heard from De'Ron Davis he kept talking about Indiana and Noah Vonleah and how they get big men to the league.  The best thing that can happen to us on the recruiting trail is some of our recruits start getting drafted. 

acepoker

Quote from: RazorAg on August 01, 2014, 12:23:27 pm
Nah.  More like 6'8.

I disagree. I think D. Townes was a solid 6'10. He was several inches taller than Charles Thomas.

mhuff

Quote from: Big Daddy on July 31, 2014, 08:07:48 pm
There was a picture on Twitter yesterday of Portis and Kingsley. Portis looked like he was 4-6 inches taller than Moses.

BiG Daddy, we saw that picture, but I submit that Kingsley was stooped over. It was deceiving.

RazorAg

Quote from: acepoker on August 02, 2014, 06:37:33 am
I disagree. I think D. Townes was a solid 6'10. He was several inches taller than Charles Thomas.

Charles Thomas, although listed at 6'8, wasn't 6'8.  Closer to 6'6.

RazorAg

Quote from: drrowdy on August 02, 2014, 08:59:39 pm
The link to draft express shows Portis' height from 4/2013. From the latest report he measured 6 10.5 at the LeBron camp, without shoes. He was surprised to learn that he had grown.

It's been said several times on here, but I've attached proof that the LeBron measurement was indeed in shoes.  This screenshot is from the official college roster.

-Blu

Quote from: RazorAg on August 01, 2014, 12:23:27 pm
Nah.  More like 6'8.

I was actually looking up Darian Townes earlier this year, wonder what happened to him.  His team (KCC Egis) lists him as 6'10.  His realGM profile also lists him as 6'10

http://basketball.asia-basket.com/player/Japan/Link_Tochigi_Brex/Darian_Townes/31889
http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Darian-Townes/Summary/1705

I've personally never seen anyone list him under 6'10.

RazorAg

Quote from: -Blu on August 02, 2014, 09:24:43 pm
I was actually looking up Darian Townes earlier this year, wonder what happened to him.  His team (KCC Egis) lists him as 6'10.  His realGM profile also lists him as 6'10

http://basketball.asia-basket.com/player/Japan/Link_Tochigi_Brex/Darian_Townes/31889
http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Darian-Townes/Summary/1705

I've personally never seen anyone list him under 6'10.

Go look at his recruit profiles. Listed at 6'9. He was listed at 6'9 on our roster for a few years until they started listing him at 6'10. Our inflation of heights was pretty bad during the Heath years.

-Blu

Quote from: RazorAg on August 02, 2014, 10:10:10 pm
Go look at his recruit profiles. Listed at 6'9. He was listed at 6'9 on our roster for a few years until they started listing him at 6'10. Our inflation of heights was pretty bad during the Heath years.

Yea, just looked at his yahoo and scout recruiting profile they do say 6'9, but that's during high school it wouldn't be uncommon for him to grow an inch during college.  ESPN, RealGM, Asia-basketball.com, Draftexpress, and any other type of "Professional" profile he has all list him a 6'10.  I would think with him going to workouts and camps after leaving Arkansas someone else would have measured him and put different if there was a discrepancy.

RazorAg

Quote from: -Blu on August 03, 2014, 12:17:56 am
Yea, just looked at his yahoo and scout recruiting profile they do say 6'9, but that's during high school it wouldn't be uncommon for him to grow an inch during college.  ESPN, RealGM, Asia-basketball.com, Draftexpress, and any other type of "Professional" profile he has all list him a 6'10.  I would think with him going to workouts and camps after leaving Arkansas someone else would have measured him and put different if there was a discrepancy.

Problem is that there are no official measurements (shoes on and off) anywhere.  Obviously, this is an insignificant debate, but I feel confident in my position.

Pathogen

Quote from: ICEman on August 01, 2014, 09:57:00 am
Hau Tau is someone from China.

Hau Tau is Yao Ming?  Like 7'6"?

Quote from: secfan30 on August 01, 2014, 03:50:10 pm
He was a shot blocking machine on those early Nolan Teams

And was pretty decent in the NBA, also.  I think the line was that he averaged a blocked shot "every 9 minutes" a game for several years.

dhornjr1

Quote from: secfan30 on August 01, 2014, 05:36:51 am
That's true... It's been longer than I thought. Big O crossed my mind, but he was prob no more than 6'9

Big O was only about 6'7 1/2" without shoes but I think had a 7'3" wingspan..

GuvHog

Lee Wilson, Darnell Robinson.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jwpattyson

Did anybody notice that one dude got shorter and another gained 4 inches?
Give me Razorback sports or give me death.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: jwpattyson on August 05, 2014, 12:30:01 am
Did anybody notice that one dude got shorter and another gained 4 inches?
Who gained 4 inches?

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on August 03, 2014, 02:15:39 pm
Lee Wilson, Darnell Robinson.

Inconsistent as evidenced by career sub-double digit scoring averages. Key word is "effective." That's what the poster said.