Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will CBB close fall practice this year??

Started by axedawg, July 31, 2014, 07:15:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Papa Satan

tophawg19

These coaches all know each other and are well aware of the tendencies of each. They know our coaches strengths and weaknesses just as we do theirs . We are not  going to run some super secret game plan only to have to change it a week later . the first two weeks will not be as much about Auburn as fundamental work . we will do what we do best , run the ball on offense . On defense we will try to stop what they do best , run the ball . We know their game plan, same as last year with a bit better passing maybe . They know our game plan , Power running with maybe a better passing game . both defenses will play run first . Dang i just gave away our game plan , hope auburn don't find out .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Theolesnort

August 02, 2014, 05:52:34 pm #52 Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:10:47 pm by Theolesnort
Quote from: jg8417 on August 02, 2014, 09:59:25 am
Malzahns new scout.

@War Eagle X-1        Drone
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

tophawg19

So any bird flying over the stadium becomes a suspect

Big Papa Satan

tophawg19

Theolesnort

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 02, 2014, 05:45:11 pm
These coaches all know each other and are well aware of the tendencies of each. They know our coaches strengths and weaknesses just as we do theirs . We are not  going to run some super secret game plan only to have to change it a week later . the first two weeks will not be as much about Auburn as fundamental work . we will do what we do best , run the ball on offense . On defense we will try to stop what they do best , run the ball . We know their game plan, same as last year with a bit better passing maybe . They know our game plan , Power running with maybe a better passing game . both defenses will play run first . Dang i just gave away our game plan , hope auburn don't find out .

Nope you are off on that completely Tophawg. Gus only knows what Smith ran at Rutgers and has no idea what Coach Smith will do to confront his offense, he has to be guessing. AS to what the first team defense will do once they start preparing for Auburn they will do it against the offensive scout team and the #1 offense will do their thing against the defensive scout team. Our def coach Smith in charge of the defense will use some stuff from the Rutgers days and also from his pro experience and his defense has evolved by now, likely quite a bit. Gus is concerned to put it mildly and if you were in his shoes you would be too. The way the Spring game was run we have not seen anything on offense or defense yet. It is quite an advantage we will have until we play several games and the opposition starts to build a book on our schemes. This applies especially to the defense.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on August 02, 2014, 09:24:40 pm
Well done! +1
I was kinda leaning toward SAMS missiles at all four corners of the practice field.  This is war!  >:(

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 02, 2014, 09:36:19 pm
I was kinda leaning toward SAMS missiles at all four corners of the practice field.  This is war!  >:(

I like the way you think, Ponderin'. Can't be too safe these days. I dub the missiles for the Ponderin' Practice Missle Defense System (PPMDS) "Gus Busters".
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

woodhog14

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 02, 2014, 02:19:21 pm
Like I said, I am different I guess. I just don't see the big deal 4 weeks out from the game to have a couple of practices open at the beginning to let the media get some things to report to the fans. That's my opinion and I don't really think doing it would affect at all what we or Auburn does in practice or the game.
And this is one of the thousands of reasons that you are not a D-1 Head Coach.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on August 02, 2014, 09:43:20 pm
I like the way you think, Ponderin'. Can't be too safe these days. I dub the missiles for the Ponderin' Practice Missle Defense System (PPMDS) "Gus Busters".
Of course, there would be the added benefit of being able to watch practice between attacks - all of which would be reported to Hogville ASAP.   8)  We can keep a secret, right ???

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 02, 2014, 09:47:49 pm
Of course, there would be the added benefit of being able to watch practice between attacks - all of which would be reported to Hogville ASAP.   8)  We can keep a secret, right ???

Oh, I'm sure practice reports will really jump up a notch under the PPMDS. Things such as "Man, that Daunte Carr really stayed home at LB, even when the drone schrapnel interrupted practice" and "Keon Hatcher really showed a burst and great hands chasing down that errant Auburn drone today" probably won't be kept secret for long. We should probably just play things by ear....

Hog1952

Shoot down any golden eagles flying around.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on August 02, 2014, 09:56:19 pm
Oh, I'm sure practice reports will really jump up a notch under the PPMDS. Things such as "Man, that Daunte Carr really stayed home at LB, even when the drone schrapnel interrupted practice" and "Keon Hatcher really showed a burst and great hands chasing down that errant Auburn drone today" probably won't be kept secret for long. We should probably just play things by ear....

We already have snipers.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Big Papa Satan on August 02, 2014, 09:59:28 pm
We already have snipers.

Ah! It all makes sense now! Ponderin' was definitely at the Auburn game. A true Hog fan and darn good sniper! WPS!

Boardon Hamsay

PonderinHog

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on August 02, 2014, 10:01:36 pm
Ah! It all makes sense now! Ponderin' was definitely at the Auburn game. A true Hog fan and darn good sniper! WPS!
Now I guess I need a lawyer.   >:(

The NewEra

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 01, 2014, 05:55:32 pm
The first week is closed except for Saturday. I think it's media only on Saturday and I'm guessing that we'll only be there long enough to shoot some video. Like 20 minutes of warm ups and a few drills.

If I were coaching the team nobody would get anywhere near the practice fields. I'd hire guards to make sure nobody was peeking over the fence. I'd threaten the players and managers. Nobody talks. Not to your best friend. Not to your mom. Not to your girlfriend.

No frickin' body.

I'm glad you feel this way. I've already heard others in the media whining about it. Just give us a good team and some more wins and I'll be happy. I don't think anyone should feel entitled to open practices. What I do think we are entitled to is a well prepared team. Opening practices up doesn't advance that at all.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: The NewEra on August 02, 2014, 10:23:03 pm
I'm glad you feel this way. I've already heard others in the media whining about it. Just give us a good team and some more wins and I'll be happy. I don't think anyone should feel entitled to open practices. What I do think we are entitled to is a well prepared team. Opening practices up doesn't advance that at all.
Times have changed. When the Hog media consisted of five guys it was a lot easier for a coach to figure out if he could trust them or not.

Also before cell phones and social media there was no way practice information could get to the public while it was happening.

Coaches and players will talk to us every day after practice. We'll have information. It won't be stuff we've seen with our own eyes but this staff has developed a reputation of being straight shooters.

I don't expect a lot of baseless sunshine pumping from them.

Opening the season with a huge conference game is a different animal.  Common sense dictates that Bielema is going to want a lot of privacy as this team starts to prepare for Auburn.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 03, 2014, 07:09:09 am
Times have changed. When the Hog media consisted of five guys it was a lot easier for a coach to figure out if he could trust them or not.

Also before cell phones and social media there was no way practice information could get to the public while it was happening.

Coaches and players will talk to us every day after practice. We'll have information. It won't be stuff we've seen with our own eyes but this staff has developed a reputation of being straight shooters.

Opening the season with a huge conference game is a different animal.  Common sense dictates that Bielema is going to want a lot of privacy as this team starts to prepare for Auburn.

From the staff I expect to hear a lot of what has probably become ingrained in your mind over the years, Mike.

Stuff like:

"So and so is really looking good, he is playing well and really doing a good job".

"We are coming along, but we still have a lot of work left to do".

"The team is working hard, really getting after it".

"Yeah, we are doing a better job on our routes and the kids are making good cuts and looking the ball into their hands".

"Well yeah, those Freshmen are learning and they are really hustling and you never know, they may get to see some playing time this year, we will see".

"Auburn"? It's just another game to us. We aren't focusing on any particular game at all. We as a team, just need to go out and learn to execute at a high level, every single play of every single game that we play, and if we do that, everything else will take care of itself".
Go Hogs Go!

lefty08

The way I see it is this: if we were playing a conference opponent after our coach has been here for half a decade or more he might be more willing to open things up.  We havent installed our entire offense yet, and we have new coaches on defense. I think thats the reason we can gain an "advantage" by closing practice. We start with AU then play a really important game with TTU in week 3, so why give away more than we have to. You guys that say we are gonna run "our" offense have no idea what that means, and neither do our opponents. Hence the closed practices
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Steef

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 01, 2014, 05:55:32 pm
The first week is closed except for Saturday. I think it's media only on Saturday and I'm guessing that we'll only be there long enough to shoot some video. Like 20 minutes of warm ups and a few drills.

If I were coaching the team nobody would get anywhere near the practice fields. I'd hire guards to make sure nobody was peeking over the fence. I'd threaten the players and managers. Nobody talks. Not to your best friend. Not to your mom. Not to your girlfriend.

No frickin' body.

Fight club rules.

Agree.

Play well and beat Auburn > Open practices.

HogFanatic

So it sounds like the general consensus is that this is a good thing. That's good. I remember last season there were a LOT of people griping about it.

Hawk

SAM missles and AA fire on the drones could really give new meaning to the "burst" that a player shows!  :razorback:

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Theolesnort on August 02, 2014, 06:08:38 pm
Nope you are off on that completely Tophawg. Gus only knows what Smith ran at Rutgers and has no idea what Coach Smith will do to confront his offense, he has to be guessing. AS to what the first team defense will do once they start preparing for Auburn they will do it against the offensive scout team and the #1 offense will do their thing against the defensive scout team. Our def coach Smith in charge of the defense will use some stuff from the Rutgers days and also from his pro experience and his defense has evolved by now, likely quite a bit. Gus is concerned to put it mildly and if you were in his shoes you would be too. The way the Spring game was run we have not seen anything on offense or defense yet. It is quite an advantage we will have until we play several games and the opposition starts to build a book on our schemes. This applies especially to the defense.
I totally doubt Gus is that concerned. He is confident in his abilities and his team as any coach would be. And I totally doubt he is worried about our new defense. He is offensive minded. He doesn't care so much what you are going to do, because he is going to force his will on you and make you adjust. He's going to run his offense no matter what you do on defense. In order for us to have a chance on defense, we have to be very diciplined and stay in out lanes against Auburn.

lumphog

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 02, 2014, 05:55:17 pm
So any bird flying over the stadium becomes a suspect
I'm comin to practices with my L C Smith 32 inch twice barrel full/half full

ricepig

Quote from: lumphog on August 03, 2014, 12:44:23 pm
I'm comin to practices with my L C Smith 32 inch twice barrel full/half full

I'll be there with my Greener's.

lefty08

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 03, 2014, 12:40:37 pm
I totally doubt Gus is that concerned. He is confident in his abilities and his team as any coach would be. And I totally doubt he is worried about our new defense. He is offensive minded. He doesn't care so much what you are going to do, because he is going to force his will on you and make you adjust. He's going to run his offense no matter what you do on defense. In order for us to have a chance on defense, we have to be very diciplined and stay in out lanes against Auburn.

if he wasnt worried atleast a lil bit, y not announce a length of suspension?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

1highhog

Quote from: The NewEra on August 02, 2014, 10:23:03 pm

The thing is with the media members is, there's some who are strong with the Gus love, they would blab anything to help him win.  I wouldn't let them in to see practices either.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: woodhog14 on August 02, 2014, 09:43:28 pm
And this is one of the thousands of reasons that you are not a D-1 Head Coach.

Well, I guess it is good that I never claimed to be one or ever wanted to be one. What's your reason?

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 03, 2014, 07:09:09 am

I agree with your last commen. However, I am of the belief that they will not be preparing for Auburn the first few days. i think they will just do basic stuff and really start implementing game plan and things you really do want to keep "secret" the last 2 weeks or so before the game.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: steefhog on August 03, 2014, 07:36:32 am
Fight club rules.

Agree.

Play well and beat Auburn > Open practices.
You can't play well and beat Auburn if you have a couple of open practices?

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: lefty08 on August 03, 2014, 12:53:59 pm
if he wasnt worried atleast a lil bit, y not announce a length of suspension?
Because that would be stupid when you have no reason to. No worried does  not = stupid. Probably a "just in case" thing.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: 1highhog on August 03, 2014, 01:22:56 pm
The thing is with the media members is, there's some who are strong with the Gus love, they would blab anything to help him win.  I wouldn't let them in to see practices either.
The fear of Gus here is crazy. I know he has arkansas connections with media nad coaches, but damn some if you take it a little far. I am sure a lot of media members are not necessarily primary fans of the team they are covering. Maybe they are from Bama and love Bama. Or like the "hat girl" from Florida that BP kicked out that time.

Big Daddy

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on August 01, 2014, 09:47:01 pm
Insert pic of shifty eyed Malzahn fitting a camera to a drone

That is not a crazy statement. Someone should be watching the skies.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 03, 2014, 01:55:59 pm
It's not a matter of not playing well it's a matter of not letting people outside of your team see what you're doing. Last spring they added to their play book but nobody outside the team has seen any of that. I'm quite certain Bielema wants to keep it that way until the game.

60Hog

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 03, 2014, 01:55:59 pm

Using this symbol > to me means "Play well and beat Auburn is greater than open practices".

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 03, 2014, 02:00:15 pm
The fear of Gus here is crazy. I know he has arkansas connections with media nad coaches, but damn some if you take it a little far. I am sure a lot of media members are not necessarily primary fans of the team they are covering. Maybe they are from Bama and love Bama. Or like the "hat girl" from Florida that BP kicked out that time.
That's probably a stretch. Most of the Hog media sided with Nutt back in 06. Those guys were not close to Gus.

Bo and I probably have a better working relationship with Gus than the other guys. I can't speak for Bo but I'm okay with Gus. However, when it comes to covering SEC football he's the opposing coach just like Nick Saban or Lester Miles or Hugh Freeze. I don't think he's the devil but I'm not going to hee haw and swap stories with him after the game either. 

I don't think anybody in the Hog media would intentionally feed him information but if Bielema opened practice to the fans some of them might. There are plenty of Hog fans in NWA who want him back here.

RNHog

Quote from: axedawg on July 31, 2014, 07:15:45 pm
If an announcement has been made I have not seen it posted as of yet.  Closing practice yet again would appear to further diminish the excitement level for hog fans.  Hopefully most of the practices would be open to fans as we are in need for something to generate some buzz heading into this season.  At times I wonder if I will be the only one in the stands on gameday!   ;D

If he does its for the interest of the team. Not a fan or the mentality that "I'm a season ticket holder so I have the right to watch" crowd. Plus why watch when you can log onto hogville for gloom and doom reports!

Boardon Hamsay

I don't mind practices being closed. I'm not really one to worry about things that are out of my control. It is what it is. I believe there's one open Saturday scrimmage which may very well resemble the spring game in its vanilla flavor.  Hogville-wise, we're probably better off with less subjective practice fodder to sift through.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 03, 2014, 02:07:32 pm
It's not a matter of not playing well it's a matter of not letting people outside of your team see what you're doing. Last spring they added to their play book but nobody outside the team has seen any of that. I'm quite certain Bielema wants to keep it that way until the game.
Couldn't you study the tendancies of Chaney and CBB when they were at UT and Wisconsin? I am sure CBB is going to want to run something similar to what was successful during his time at UW.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: 60Hog on August 03, 2014, 02:16:51 pm
Using this symbol > to me means "Play well and beat Auburn is greater than open practices".
Yeah, I get that. What I was saying is that you can do both. Of course beating Auburn is more important. That is a given. However, the two are not mutually exclusive (a couple of open practices the first week and beating Auburn)

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 03, 2014, 02:20:40 pm
That's probably a stretch. Most of the Hog media sided with Nutt back in 06. Those guys were not close to Gus.

Bo and I probably have a better working relationship with Gus than the other guys. I can't speak for Bo but I'm okay with Gus. However, when it comes to covering SEC football he's the opposing coach just like Nick Saban or Lester Miles or Hugh Freeze. I don't think he's the devil but I'm not going to hee haw and swap stories with him after the game either. 

I don't think anybody in the Hog media would intentionally feed him information but if Bielema opened practice to the fans some of them might. There are plenty of Hog fans in NWA who want him back here.
As much of a stretch as comparing it to a hostage situation, including deaths, or talking about freaking drones or renting a house on the hill just to see practice?

Look, I get what you're saying Mike. I listen to you and Bo often and get what you're saying and why. I just don't think it's as big a deal as you and I feel the benefit from opening the first few practices, as far as for the fans and excitment, is worth it. Would it really be too bad to open the first 2-3 days and just do basic things so the media could report some good stuff? I mean, it's not like there's little time to get ready for auburn. During the season, they prepare for teams in one week.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 03, 2014, 03:12:55 pm
Couldn't you study the tendancies of Chaney and CBB when they were at UT and Wisconsin? I am sure CBB is going to want to run something similar to what was successful during his time at UW.
Really? You are sure?

I'm not.

I figure there's a reason why they didn't run any of the new stuff in the RW game. The same reason why we're not going to see any of it in the pre-season.

The fact is neither you or I or anybody else not on that team or staff know what they are going to do. If Bielema wants to keep it that way until the game is played that's his decision to make.

The NewEra

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 03, 2014, 03:12:55 pm

Carl, this article from an Auburn sports writer implies he's not sure what to expect from Arkansas and that the Auburn coaches won't be either.  It's part three of a part five series, so you might want to read all three articles.

http://flywareagle.com/2014/08/01/5-reasons-auburn-worried-arkansas-part-3/

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on August 03, 2014, 02:37:44 pm
I don't mind practices being closed. I'm not really one to worry about things that are out of my control. It is what it is. I believe there's one open Saturday scrimmage which may very well resemble the spring game in its vanilla flavor.  Hogville-wise, we're probably better off with less subjective practice fodder to sift through.
It's not a big deal to me. It's just that I am one of the CBB skeptical persons. I'd like to hear about hog football. You mean to tell me you guys don't love reading the practice reports on here that UU and some of the other guys post on here?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 03, 2014, 03:40:46 pm
It's not a big deal to me. It's just that I am one of the CBB skeptical persons. I'd like to hear about hog football. You mean to tell me you guys don't love reading the practice reports on here that UU and some of the other guys post on here?
Do you remember when all that went wrong?

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 03, 2014, 03:28:09 pm
Really? You are sure?

I'm not.

I figure there's a reason why they didn't run any of the new stuff in the RW game. The same reason why we're not going to see any of it in the pre-season.

The fact is neither you or I or anybody else not on that team or staff know what they are going to do. If Bielema wants to keep it that way until the game is played that's his decision to make.

Of course it's his decision and no one argues that. And I have no clue why they didn't run more in the RW game, but that was one of my gripes then as well. I feel like the RW game is essentially for the fans. So, give the fans some fun stuff to see. The rest of spring practice can be more geared towards what you want to do during the season.

As far as CBB's tendencies, yeah I am sure he will do many of the same things that were successful while at UW. Most coaches are like that. Will there be new stuff, added wrinkles and innovation, and stuff Chaney brings to the table from his past? Yeah, I am sure there will be. But IMO, CBB will want to use a lot of what has worked for him before or at least something similar.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: The NewEra on August 03, 2014, 03:34:02 pm
Carl, this article from an Auburn sports writer implies he's not sure what to expect from Arkansas and that the Auburn coaches won't be either.  It's part three of a part five series, so you might want to read all three articles.

http://flywareagle.com/2014/08/01/5-reasons-auburn-worried-arkansas-part-3/

I'll take a look at it, thanks man. Always looking for stuff to read about SEC football.