Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will CBB close fall practice this year??

Started by axedawg, July 31, 2014, 07:15:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

axedawg

If an announcement has been made I have not seen it posted as of yet.  Closing practice yet again would appear to further diminish the excitement level for hog fans.  Hopefully most of the practices would be open to fans as we are in need for something to generate some buzz heading into this season.  At times I wonder if I will be the only one in the stands on gameday!   ;D

Mike Irwin

I'm guessing it will be closed because they are playing a conference game in the season opener. I can't imagine Bielema wasting a practice in which he doesn't work on his Auburn game plan because fans are watching.

This hasn't happened since 1980. It's a very unusual situation.

However, nothing has been announced as of today so I could be wrong.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 31, 2014, 07:20:38 pm
I'm guessing it will be closed because they are playing a conference game in the season opener. I can't imagine Bielema wasting a practice in which he doesn't work on his Auburn game plan because fans are watching.

I know everyone is hungry for football and would enjoy watching practices, but this is what you probably get when you open with an SEC opponent. No open practices.
Go Hogs Go!

Phil D

unfortunately I think this will be the Norm not the exception, I am looking fwd to practice starting anyway regardless. I am Ok with getting post practice reports from coaches and players,just ready for the season as i am every year. :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 31, 2014, 07:25:58 pm
I know everyone is hungry for football and would enjoy watching practices, but this is what you probably get when you open with an SEC opponent. No open practices.

I don't like it, but it's understandable, especially this 1st week.  Another reason besides what has been stated is how easy it would be for Gus to have someone observe the practices and report in detail back to him.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

OTTER

I may not like closed practices, but in this case I say close 'em up.  No problem! 
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

OnTheHillHogFan

I bet they have 1 or 2 scrimmages open like last year
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Mike Irwin

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on July 31, 2014, 08:42:35 pm
I bet they have 1 or 2 scrimmages open like last year
And what would they do, run the same plain vanilla stuff they used in the RW game? They've doubled their offensive play book from a year ago. If they scrimmage I'm quite certain they are going to want to work on the new stuff. I'm also certain that Auburn is not going to see any of it. Hence a closed practice.

lumphog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 31, 2014, 07:20:38 pm

I agree Mike & I aint mad about it.........I smell a upset!!! But, I want you to keep an eye on BA. I have a good feelin about Brandon.

Ramtough

I wonder if Auburn has closed practices as well since they also have a conference game in week 1. I guess if we want to see what they are going to do on offense we can just roll the game film from last years game.

razorbackkid

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 31, 2014, 07:44:38 pm
Does a one-legged duck swim in circles?
A nascar duck would be fun to watch.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Pickwick Hog

Auburn in game 1. Who wouldn't want him to close practices?

I mean besides Auburn?
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Hoggish1

It would be foolish to open practices.  Let's unleash a big unknown on allbarn!

After game one, who knows...

Mike Irwin

The first week is closed except for Saturday. I think it's media only on Saturday and I'm guessing that we'll only be there long enough to shoot some video. Like 20 minutes of warm ups and a few drills.

If I were coaching the team nobody would get anywhere near the practice fields. I'd hire guards to make sure nobody was peeking over the fence. I'd threaten the players and managers. Nobody talks. Not to your best friend. Not to your mom. Not to your girlfriend.

No frickin' body.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

I guess I am different than most of you guys. I think the first few days of practice should be open. There are new guys and players are back from summer. I honestly do not think they will go over much for Auburn the first couple of days. They will do basic stuff. And this team needs more coverage. A lot of people are not expecting much this year, especially after a ho-hum Spring game. People need something to get excited about when it comes to Razorback football. Right now, there is little for the average fan. Now, there will be nothing; no new information, no pictures, no film to watch, nothing about the new guys or how guys like BA look after an injury. All this will do is frustrate fans and make them even more ho-hum when it comes to Hog football. You have to strike while the anvil is hot and feed this beast, at least a little so it can get rabid.

The Boar War

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on July 31, 2014, 07:39:17 pm
I don't like it, but it's understandable, especially this 1st week.  Another reason besides what has been stated is how easy it would be for Gus to have someone observe the practices and report in detail back to him.

I'm sure there are a few who are just waiting for the opportunity.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 31, 2014, 09:09:20 pm
And what would they do, run the same plain vanilla stuff they used in the RW game? They've doubled their offensive play book from a year ago. If they scrimmage I'm quite certain they are going to want to work on the new stuff. I'm also certain that Auburn is not going to see any of it. Hence a closed practice.

Insert pic of shifty eyed Malzahn fitting a camera to a drone
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

southeasthog

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 01, 2014, 08:59:28 pm
I guess I am different than most of you guys. I think the first few days of practice should be open. There are new guys and players are back from summer. I honestly do not think they will go over much for Auburn the first couple of days. They will do basic stuff. And this team needs more coverage. A lot of people are not expecting much this year, especially after a ho-hum Spring game. People need something to get excited about when it comes to Razorback football. Right now, there is little for the average fan. Now, there will be nothing; no new information, no pictures, no film to watch, nothing about the new guys or how guys like BA look after an injury. All this will do is frustrate fans and make them even more ho-hum when it comes to Hog football. You have to strike while the anvil is hot and feed this beast, at least a little so it can get rabid.
I disagree to an extent. Practice reports won't make the average fan decide to go to the games. Winning is what it will take to get excitement back up. I like reading practice reports as much as the next guy, especially from different perspectives, but if Coach closes them, so be it.

nchogg

I don't have a problem with pracitces being closed in this day of social media. If they were open pics and text would swarm the internet. Yes I enjoy reading about our team. I drink coffee and read about Razorback sport everyday after I get home from work. I would agree with Coach if he kept practices closed to the public. Go Hogs!

tophawg19

some practices should be open to the media . they know what to report and what not to. After the awful season we had last year , the fans need things like this to fire them up. especially reports on the incoming freshmen , and an overall view . just ask them not to report on specific stuff . give them a guideline to work with. The BS stuff the coaches report is just a generalization and that pisses fans off when they realize that they were lied to. That things weren't great like they were told . As for getting ready for Auburn , both teams already know what the other's got and with a few exceptions what they are going to run. If not there would be no way to prepare . We are going to be looking to run the ball down their throats with a mix of passing . they also will be running the ball primarily. First game of the season, your not going to see a wholesale change from last year.  Bring in your fans for a couple practices to get them back involved . Bring in the media to get their support . Open up more to the fans in general . it's going to be a tough year so this staff needs to be as fan/media friendly as possible .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Theolesnort

Doubling the playbook on offense is fine and dandy but what has to have Gus scratching his head is how to attack Smiths new defense. Gus has a lot of friends in NW Arkansas and open practices could help him a lot. Practices need to be closed just because of this.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

southeasthog

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 02, 2014, 07:22:07 am
some practices should be open to the media . they know what to report and what not to. After the awful season we had last year , the fans need things like this to fire them up. especially reports on the incoming freshmen , and an overall view . just ask them not to report on specific stuff . give them a guideline to work with. The BS stuff the coaches report is just a generalization and that pisses fans off when they realize that they were lied to. That things weren't great like they were told . As for getting ready for Auburn , both teams already know what the other's got and with a few exceptions what they are going to run. If not there would be no way to prepare . We are going to be looking to run the ball down their throats with a mix of passing . they also will be running the ball primarily. First game of the season, your not going to see a wholesale change from last year.  Bring in your fans for a couple practices to get them back involved . Bring in the media to get their support . Open up more to the fans in general . it's going to be a tough year so this staff needs to be as fan/media friendly as possible .
I disagree with this part. Reporters will report what will get them the most hits on their websites. If it is the same as the next guy, they will push the envelope.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 01, 2014, 08:59:28 pm
I guess I am different than most of you guys. I think the first few days of practice should be open. There are new guys and players are back from summer. I honestly do not think they will go over much for Auburn the first couple of days.

Houston Nutt is not the head coach. The idea that they're going to fool around for a few days working with rookies before getting serious about Auburn doesn't wash.

When you open the season with the defending SEC champs after a 3-9 season you start getting your game plan ready from day one. I'm not suggesting that they're going to scrimmage on Monday or go through a simulated game but he doesn't want anybody around for a reason.

This man has been barbecued on this board for the last eight months for not being ready for the SEC. Now we're supposed to believe that he should be thinking about PR as he gets his team ready for the school's biggest season opener in 34 years?

Right.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 01, 2014, 05:55:32 pm
The first week is closed except for Saturday. I think it's media only on Saturday and I'm guessing that we'll only be there long enough to shoot some video. Like 20 minutes of warm ups and a few drills.

If I were coaching the team nobody would get anywhere near the practice fields. I'd hire guards to make sure nobody was peeking over the fence. I'd threaten the players and managers. Nobody talks. Not to your best friend. Not to your mom. Not to your girlfriend.

No frickin' body.
Hey Mike... What's to prevent someone renting property or setting up in the woods up on a distant hill with high powered cameras? Surely Coach B and staff have thought of that??

DLUXHOG

No frickin' body.

Sounds like what the Bear did in preparing Bama for their revenge match against USC (west) in 1971 when he secretly installed the wishbone...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Hog N Bama on August 02, 2014, 08:32:35 am
Hey Mike... What's to prevent someone renting property or setting up in the woods up on a distant hill with high powered cameras? Surely Coach B and staff have thought of that??
In the old days they had managers patrolling outside of practices doing just that. Looking for spies.

You don't hear much about spying these days but I would worry about it. WTH. I'm paranoid.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 02, 2014, 08:37:02 am
In the old days they had managers patrolling outside of practices doing just that. Looking for spies.

You don't hear much about spying these days but I would worry about it. WTH. I'm paranoid.
Drones...

Hog N Bama

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hog N Bama on August 02, 2014, 08:40:28 am
OMG! I need to get with the times.. forgot about drones  :o
They're everywhere, man!  Choot 'em!  Chott 'em!   :o

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Hog N Bama on August 02, 2014, 08:32:35 am
That hill is not so distant. It's about four blocks away. You could rent a house up there and spy in comfort with the right equipment.

They need to do fake stuff outside and the real game plan inside.

Hogchick

I think it is a smart move by CBB. In this day and age things can get leaked quickly. Go Hogs!

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 02, 2014, 08:42:26 am
That hill is not so distant. It's about four blocks away. You could rent a house up there and spy in comfort with the right equipment.

They need to do fake stuff outside and the real game plan inside.
I would not underestimate Cheater University or their coach.

Speedracer

I agree with Mike, media would get to see warm ups and interview players after practice.  That's about it. 
Like smites bother me.

Redhogs

No frickin' body.
I like it!
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Josh Goforth

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on August 01, 2014, 09:47:01 pm
Insert pic of shifty eyed Malzahn fitting a camera to a drone
Malzahns new scout.

[attachment deleted by admin]

secfan30

Quote from: RandomFan on August 01, 2014, 09:27:28 pm

"No body talks about this thing of ours"

Lol +1... I love mob movies and thought the same thing reading the post.

secfan30

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 02, 2014, 08:28:29 am
Houston Nutt is not the head coach. The idea that they're going to fool around for a few days working with rookies before getting serious about Auburn doesn't wash.

When you open the season with the defending SEC champs after a 3-9 season you start getting your game plan ready from day one. I'm not suggesting that they're going to scrimmage on Monday or go through a simulated game but he doesn't want anybody around for a reason.

This man has been barbecued on this board for the last eight months for not being ready for the SEC. Now we're supposed to believe that he should be thinking about PR as he gets his team ready for the school's biggest season opener in 34 years?

Right.

Truth and honesty such as this would do go boiling over into other news reporters

secfan30

Quote from: RandomFan on August 02, 2014, 10:50:47 am
LOL Coach B stars as The Godfather.

or maybe Tony Soprano would be a better fit.

Lol I def see Tony Soprano. Maybe when he gets older Don Corleone

hobhog

It's understandable they are closed.

I heard Trey Biddy on radio yesterday claiming interest/attendance was down from fans because of closed practices. Not big screen TVs, cost of tickets and travel, and national trends of lowered attendance, but because coach B closes practices. Marcus Elliott slobbered all over himself in agreement.

Ridiculous. Media feels personally slighted so they attack...

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 02, 2014, 08:39:25 am
Drones...

Good thinking! Ideally, we'll need to get one we can pilot between Powerhouse and DWRRS/practice fields.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

snoblind

Quote from: hobhog on August 02, 2014, 10:59:09 am

I heard Trey Biddy on radio yesterday claiming interest/attendance was down from fans because of closed practices. Not big screen TVs, cost of tickets and travel, and national trends of lowered attendance, but because coach B closes practices. Marcus Elliott slobbered all over himself in agreement.

Which is why I don't listen to their show.

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: hobhog on August 02, 2014, 10:59:09 am

Then Biddy and Elliot are both chumps and I've never listened to them before.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 02, 2014, 08:28:29 am

Right.
Like I said, I am different I guess. I just don't see the big deal 4 weeks out from the game to have a couple of practices open at the beginning to let the media get some things to report to the fans. That's my opinion and I don't really think doing it would affect at all what we or Auburn does in practice or the game.

1highhog

I hope like heck they have closed practices.  This is the time they need to be working on packages they're going to be using in game situations, why give your opponents a free look at everything your doing to prepare for them?  Fans are insane for not understanding the reasoning for Coaches wanting closed practices.  If you had open practices, you'd have more than a 100 from Auburn there recording everything going on and it would be in the hands of Gus within the hour.

GolfnHog

I'm certainly not opposed nor will I ever be, to closed practices. To those that feel a right to have open practices,well I see the world differently and the lack of open practices hasn't diminished my desire to be at the games or "hear" what happened during any given practice.

To me it's akin to the press televising or tweeting an on-going crisis where a guy is barricaded and has already killed or injured innocents and by checking the news or social media the "bad guy" is able to have information on the actions to end the situation. All it does is create hardships and risks for those attempting to terminate the event.

Sometimes the world or fans don't have to have the need for instant gratification, but that's just my opinion. 
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Iwastherein1969

I hope he closes practice if the coaching staff thinks it will help the young men concentrate and learn their offensive and defensive reads in a more efficient manner.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: GolfnHog on August 02, 2014, 03:34:40 pm
I'm certainly not opposed nor will I ever be, to closed practices. To those that feel a right to have open practices,well I see the world differently and the lack of open practices hasn't diminished my desire to be at the games or "hear" what happened during any given practice.

To me it's akin to the press televising or tweeting an on-going crisis where a guy is barricaded and has already killed or injured innocents and by checking the news or social media the "bad guy" is able to have information on the actions to end the situation. All it does is create hardships and risks for those attempting to terminate the event.

Sometimes the world or fans don't have to have the need for instant gratification, but that's just my opinion.

Ok, that was kind of a poor and extreme comparison. And actually, the game is for the fans. I also never said it would necessarily affect attendance. I think it can, but more than likely it will just affect interest and how positive people are about the season. Some fans, and probably most fans need something to look forward to. They are not on Hogville. They watch the news and read the paper and talk with their buddies. I do not think open practices is a "right". The coach has every right to do as he sees fit. I just dont see why you would close practices this early. I do not see that is will make much difference. I could be wrong, but I just doubt we are doing anything of major substance that anyone would care to spy on in the first few days of practice.

GolfnHog

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 02, 2014, 04:05:55 pm
Ok, that was kind of a poor and extreme comparison. And actually, the game is for the fans. I also never said it would necessarily affect attendance. I think it can, but more than likely it will just affect interest and how positive people are about the season. Some fans, and probably most fans need something to look forward to. They are not on Hogville. They watch the news and read the paper and talk with their buddies. I do not think open practices is a "right". The coach has every right to do as he sees fit. I just dont see why you would close practices this early. I do not see that is will make much difference. I could be wrong, but I just doubt we are doing anything of major substance that anyone would care to spy on in the first few days of practice.

Extreme maybe but not necessarily poor, but I'll digress since it's only an opinion. However, like it or not Arkansas plays Auburn. That particular team has a coach that is well connected to many that are connected to AR and AR sports. No need giving that school on the plains any advantage they don't already have.

Granted there may be those that that don't belong to HV or have a computer but that's a choice(or lifestyle) just like closed or open practices.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Phil D

Quote from: GolfnHog on August 02, 2014, 04:19:37 pm
Extreme maybe but not necessarily poor, but I'll digress since it's only an opinion. However, like it or not Arkansas plays Auburn. That particular team has a coach that is well connected to many that are connected to AR and AR sports. No need giving that school on the plains any advantage they don't already have.

Granted there may be those that that don't belong to HV or have a computer but that's a choice(or lifestyle) just like closed or open practices.

I Think you are overplaying the Whole Auburn thing. It wouldn't be any different if it were Alabama,Ole miss,Miss state, A&M,or LSU. It is not only a conference game but a divisional game. :razorback: of course that is just my opinion.
GO HOGS!!!!!!