Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scotty Thurman replaces Rick Schaeffer

Started by The_Iceman, July 31, 2014, 04:01:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 01, 2014, 02:20:12 pm
Show me how you got he's keeping the same job?

The guy that wrote the article posted in the scout fourms and confirmed it.

ClearEyes

Thurman is not changing his job during the day.  The only difference is that during games he will be sitting on Press Row with Barrett doing the radio broadcasts instead of being on the bench.  It's not like the radio color job pays a lot or is a full time assignment.  See Keith Jackson and the football color job for an example.

ClearEyes

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 01, 2014, 03:51:16 pm
Thanks.  My guess is the directors position will be redefined with more levels within that department.

IOW, he'll give up some responsibilities.

That's not something that I've been told, rather a guess.

Your guess is 100% off.  Nothing changes in Scotty's day to day.

Porked Tongue

You might be right but time will tell the tale.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on August 01, 2014, 04:32:55 pm
Ol' RS has put in a lot of years for the Hogs. He deserves a chance to retire, and let his hair down. Of course, if he does, he will look a lot like a white-haired Benjamin Franklin.

Thought his real job was with the S'dale School District.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on August 02, 2014, 10:18:47 pm
Thought his real job was with the S'dale School District.
He has no office hours. Sweet gig.

bruisemeister

Joe Kleine was the best color analyst the Hogs have ever had. No sadness for Rick though. He did have the pleasure to call the National title game. I was always sad that Paul Eells didn't have that honor.

Big Papa Satan

gmarv

i don,t think paul called the basketball games at all did he?

Mick Hogger

He joined Mike Nail one night as a late substitute I believe and it was really hard to tell them apart.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 02, 2014, 11:12:44 pm
He has no office hours. Sweet gig.

He has to have something on Rollins. His employment is a waste of taxpayer funds.

HF#1

Was this a mutual thing between Sunshine and IMG or the university or did they just up and replace Rick with Scotty, i.e. fired him...?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

razorcash2

Will Scotty still give us a chance when were down 11 with 38 seconds left in the game?

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on August 03, 2014, 07:51:36 pm
He has to have something on Rollins. His employment is a waste of taxpayer funds.
Rollins has hired and promoted unqualified family members with surprising ease.

This hire is proof of why I think Rick took a bad rap on here.  Yes, he was all "sunshine" but that's what the school wants.  They don't want any criticism coming from school broadcast.  To proof the point, Scotty has literally sat on the team bench and keeps his same job but moves to radio during the games.

I think Scotty will be very good at the job too.

claycohog

I found it interesting that Marcus Monk was shown with the team on the Pigtrail's segment of the basketball team at the Fayetteville Boys and Girls Club.  If I am not mistaken Marcus is no longer a G.A. with the Hogs.  His eligibility was up after he received his 2nd degree. The footage was not taken from last year either, it was this weekend.

tolle72120

HognitiveDissonance

Once again, things seem wrong.
Chuck Barrett gives up baseball, but is still on football and basketball. Most agree baseball was the last sport he should have given up. That's his best sport.

Likewise, I think basketball is Rick Shaeffer's best sport for announcing.

jesterzzn

Quote from: tolle72120 on August 06, 2014, 03:18:03 pm
why was Rick let go?

I'd like to know that as well.

I've never understood the hate he receives on here.  Some of it is good natured (his hair is pretty funny), but alot of it is nothing but moron asshats piling on a good man that would never stoop to retaliate.  Cowards.

Rick has devoted his professional life to the Razorbacks.  He deserves some respect.  If he was actually fired he definitely deserves more than the typical crap slung his way.

Sorry to hear it, Rick.  You are a true Razorback.

Mick Hogger

I kind of wonder if it's related to the SEC Network announcement. Rick works for The Buzz and I wonder if there was a conflict of interest and he chose the higher paying job.

Does the SEC Network have any say on the radio side?
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: jesterzzn on August 07, 2014, 09:51:52 pm
I'd like to know that as well.

I've never understood the hate he receives on here.  Some of it is good natured (his hair is pretty funny), but alot of it is nothing but moron asshats piling on a good man that would never stoop to retaliate.  Cowards.

Rick has devoted his professional life to the Razorbacks.  He deserves some respect.  If he was actually fired he definitely deserves more than the typical crap slung his way.

Sorry to hear it, Rick.  You are a true Razorback.

Most of it stems(like everything else here) from the Nutt days.
Rick, like Chuck Barrett, was viewed as the Establishment. He is viewed as being blindly supportive of the UA and everything it does. Both are viewed as too much of an 'insider' to ever question anything or want something other the status quo.
Rick is definitely a upbeat, positive guy. Probably can be too much of a 'homer' in some things. But I'm like you, if that's the worst thing you can say about someone, you're doing pretty well. So much of the criticism hurled at players and coaches at the UA is just garbage. Someone has to refute that. Not everything, but most of it is.
He actually annoys me in a mild way on DriveTime Sports. He tends to come across too much of a know-it-all and talks too much. Will hardly let anyone finish a thought or sentence before wanting to interject something. But that's not a biggy to me, I like Rick.
To this specific subject(bball radio broadcasts), being a homer is not only ok, it's actually expected. That's why I say he's perfect on bball, because of that and he's obviously very knowledgeble. I will miss him on the broadcasts as well.

Wooderson

I have never understood the hate for Rick either.  The man loves the Razorbacks and is a good ambassador for us. 
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Big Nasty 34

GuvHog

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he asked the U of A to replace him in mens basketball. He was replaced by Joe Kline some years back but returned to the post when strongly urged to do so by former play by play announcer Mike Nail. He'll probably still help with the football radio broadcasts though. If he doesn't, I'll be shocked.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jgphillips3

If Marcus 'needs' a job, you can darn well bet he will have a job.  Even if that job is just drawing a paycheck and sitting on campus doing crossword puzzles all day.  If that's what's needed to seal the deal, no doubt it will be done.  His little brother is worth more in ticket and merchandise sales than we could pay Marcus so it would just be a wise 'business decision'.

Pigsear

I wish Scotty the very best, hope he does well. But Rick has probably forgot more about Razorbacks sports than most of the others up there know. He is a true Razorback.

claycohog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on August 19, 2014, 07:06:41 pm
If Marcus 'needs' a job, you can darn well bet he will have a job.  Even if that job is just drawing a paycheck and sitting on campus doing crossword puzzles all day.  If that's what's needed to seal the deal, no doubt it will be done.  His little brother is worth more in ticket and merchandise sales than we could pay Marcus so it would just be a wise 'business decision'.
He needs a job.  I just hope we find him one before someone like Florida does.

wholehog92

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on August 08, 2014, 04:54:39 pm
Most of it stems(like everything else here) from the Nutt days.
Rick, like Chuck Barrett, was viewed as the Establishment. He is viewed as being blindly supportive of the UA and everything it does. Both are viewed as too much of an 'insider' to ever question anything or want something other the status quo.
Rick is definitely a upbeat, positive guy. Probably can be too much of a 'homer' in some things. But I'm like you, if that's the worst thing you can say about someone, you're doing pretty well. So much of the criticism hurled at players and coaches at the UA is just garbage. Someone has to refute that. Not everything, but most of it is.
He actually annoys me in a mild way on DriveTime Sports. He tends to come across too much of a know-it-all and talks too much. Will hardly let anyone finish a thought or sentence before wanting to interject something. But that's not a biggy to me, I like Rick.
To this specific subject(bball radio broadcasts), being a homer is not only ok, it's actually expected. That's why I say he's perfect on bball, because of that and he's obviously very knowledgeble. I will miss him on the broadcasts as well.

That is a fair statement/observation and understand how you come to it.

From someone who does hold those days against him, I'd like to point out a nuance that is different enough for me to feel needs pointing out.  I don't dislike Rick as a person.  I try not to attack him on a personal level.  I don't know him on a personal level.  I'm not celebrating him losing/leaving his job, but I'm not crying about it either.

During those days, Regardless of what was said, done, evidence offered, nobody on the hill had any culpability for the issues that were obvious. In fact, there were no issues on the Hill at all according to Rick.  On his radio show, he didn't mind talking down to people who disagreed.  He rarely stooped to calling names like Chuck did, so that makes them very different in my mind.

You can be the best captain of the best boat in the world and have perfect knowledge of the boat.  That's no reason to ignore people telling you that you are headed full steam towards an iceberg.  Nobody had any nice things to say about Captain Edward Smith posthumously even though he was a fine captain.  It's a risk you take.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.