Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The main reason Arkansas should be a top twenty program

Started by Hogsolo, July 31, 2014, 02:04:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogsolo

The pure wealth of the state compared to other states.   Arkansas has many multi-billionaires and millionaires especially from a standpoint of the state's population being so small and this many mega wealthy coming from the state.

FedEx, Tyson, WalMart, Reynolds Alcoa, Stephens, the trucking companies, the list goes on.....

You've got to market the program to make its success personal to these people.   They in turn will pour in resources that bring the best into the University.  Start stroking these egos and making them immortal in the University and make plans to show them how important they are.

Then watch as the results show up on the score board. :razorback:

[attachment deleted by admin]

hogsanity

UMM, unless they invest that money in increasing certain population segments, and changing the states demographics, all the money is not going to do any good. We already have Bud Walton arena, and Reynolds Razorback Stadium, and the Tyson track complex. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WizardofhOgZ

I'm not connected or "in the know", but my general impression has been that most if not all of the group the OP mentioned have already been making significant contributions to the U of A for several years.  Is this wrong?

HillBillyHogfan

only people in arkansas think that the state is wealthy... people outside arkansas realize that outside of a few people we are pretty poor.  Sure we have a few billionaires, but when it come to athletic contributions you need lots of millionaires, not a few billionaires.
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

Hoggish1

By state, we are 48th in per capita income and 28th in number of billionaires per mil of population. 

ZERO

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on July 31, 2014, 02:15:42 pm
only people in arkansas think that the state is wealthy...

Arkansas isn't rich, but NWA is kind of rich.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Music City Hog

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Poker_hog

It seemed like frank broyles was better at getting money from the billionaires than Jeff long.  It seems Long is more interested in nickeling and dimming the average fan.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Country Stylz

Quote from: Poker_hog on July 31, 2014, 03:45:07 pm
It seemed like frank broyles was better at getting money from the billionaires than Jeff long.  It seems Long is more interested in nickeling and dimming the average fan.
They tell me I have to make a season ticket donation if I want to buy single game Georgia tickets that are already 60 bucks a piece. No thanks.

Hogwild

Arkansas had 40,756 millionaires, which was the 2nd fewest in the SEC states, only ahead of Missississippi, 39,270. Every other state had over 60K with FL & TX both having over 350,000 millionaires.

http://www.netstate.com/states/tables/state_millionaires.htm

Nosboar Accubond

So..... much.... fail....  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Dwight_K_Shrute

NWA is like the Hamptons. The rest of the state, not so much.  So yeah there is a lot of money in BenCo and WaCo but when you average it out over the rest of the state it really waters it down but NWA does keep the state at 48th or 49th instead of 50th.

It's a lot like this and there is only so much 2 counties can do.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 31, 2014, 04:36:04 pm
NWA is like the Hamptons. The rest of the state, not so much.  So yeah there is a lot of money in BenCo and WaCo but when you average it out over the rest of the state it really waters it down but NWA does keep the state at 48th or 49th instead of 50th.

Those 2 counties are poverty stricken compared to about 48-49 other states' 2 wealthiest counties.

moses_007

Quote from: IAMHogholio on July 31, 2014, 02:04:08 pm
The pure wealth of the state compared to other states.   Arkansas has many multi-billionaires and millionaires especially from a standpoint of the state's population being so small and this many mega wealthy coming from the state.

FedEx, Tyson, WalMart, Reynolds Alcoa, Stephens, the trucking companies, the list goes on.....

You've got to market the program to make its success personal to these people.   They in turn will pour in resources that bring the best into the University.  Start stroking these egos and making them immortal in the University and make plans to show them how important they are.

Then watch as the results show up on the score board. :razorback:

Fed Ex?  I believe that company is located in Memphis, Tenn.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 31, 2014, 02:08:02 pm
I'm not connected or "in the know", but my general impression has been that most if not all of the group the OP mentioned have already been making significant contributions to the U of A for several years.  Is this wrong?

I'm afraid the OP seems to believe, like so many others, that if an individual has wealth, then they owe substantial support to the cause du jour of those who desire to relieve those individuals of that wealth. As you say, significant contributions have already been made by those described. To demand more seems frivolous, and self serving.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Augustus

Quote from: Poker_hog on July 31, 2014, 03:45:07 pm

??? Didn't the Razorback Foundation donate a Million $$$ +, after Petrino was fired? I'm pretty sure the go ahead for that wasn't given by the collective "average folk?"

And, Jeff has made some very shrewd moves in his time, no? The deal w/ Jerry's World (which I personally really don't like), the Pepsi deal (which he didn't have the ultimate decision on, but still had input)...  Whatever part he had with negotiations with the SEC & the upcoming Network... 

There is another post on this board linking an article that states: "Each single SEC school will receive more money from the SEC Network deal, than Texas will get from their Longhorn Network deal"

The expansion plans that have been completed, are in progress, and are planned... don't just come off the backs off the average fans. 

I'm sorry, but to suggest Jeff Long is focused on the average fan, is laughable.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think some here were posting with an agenda. But, that's just silly, right?

And... as to NWA being the Hamptons...

Yes, there are more billionaires in BenCo & WaCo, and that skews the perception and the wealth #'s in Arkansas.

But... think about the rest of Arkansas, just for a minute. Stephens, Rockefellers, Dillards, obviously. But there's also a whole lot of other families that often go unnoticed.  Former Executive families of Alltel & Acxiom. There's a whole lot of Farmers & Owners of community banks across the state who are Millionaires, even 100+ Millionaires in some cases (Chambers, Rutledge). Construction companies like Nabholz & CDI. Think about the Medical Community in Pulaski County alone. In the last 10 years, many in areas other than NWA have become Millionaires just from mineral rights (if they were smart).

Yes... NWA has more billionaires than the rest of state, combined. And yes, they are usually the ones that have their names on the side of buildings at the UA campus.

But, to suggest NWA is carrying the load on it's shoulders is also laughable.

Otherwise... why, when we start having a debate about War Memorial, the point is always made: "Well... there's people in Little Rock, that the U of A can't afford to piss off" ? ? ?

Just my take.

redeye

So what you're saying is that Arkansas was 50th before NWA struck oil?

Seriously, there are plenty of millionaires in the rest of the state, too.  NWA isn't THAT far ahead.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

East Clintwood

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on July 31, 2014, 03:34:42 pm
Muscadine and Velveeta!

Have you seen the price of Velveeta lately?  I can't afford that stuff anymore.

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Seminole Indian

So it appears that the #1 reason Arkansas should be in the top 20 is not really true, right?

Why should a team in a small, poor state that produces few top shelf athletes, be in the top 20?

In the pre-SEC days it was playing in a conference where your team were by default one of the top 3 teams, and playing a soft OC Schedule. In other words only play 2-3 real games a year, and have a great coach.

My thoughts going into the SEC was a winning tradition, and great coaching.  Petrino showed what can happen with great coaching, so really it's about maintaining a winning tradition, even in a down cycle.

I think those, fans, administrators, coaches, media, etc, that are trying to tap into the Razorbacks winning tradition are going in the right direction. Many schools do not have a winning tradition to tap into, and sell recruits on.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

al_pigcino

Wyoming has 6 billionaires and less than a million people.  It should have the best football program. 

smb

I think this is a good topic for discussion but I don't think it has anything to do with money. I think Arkansas has enough money support. The better discussion should be about the lack of high school coaching in Arkansas and why are they not producing a lot more Division 1 players consistently. I know next year is suppose to be an exception but why isn't there enough Division 1 players to keep the hogs along with few outside of Arkansas to keep the hogs competitive in the top 20. I just expect that we should have at least 3 players on each side of the ball to be outstanding. But I guess I'm expecting to much.
GeorgiaHOG

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on July 31, 2014, 10:41:32 pm
I'm afraid the OP seems to believe, like so many others, that if an individual has wealth, then they owe substantial support to the cause du jour of those who desire to relieve those individuals of that wealth. As you say, significant contributions have already been made by those described. To demand more seems frivolous, and self serving.

No, I'm afraid the OP thinks that since he lives in a double-wide the rest of the state does as well, he's transferring his wealth onto the rest of the state which is just not true.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hogsanity

Quote from: smb on August 01, 2014, 07:35:58 am
I think this is a good topic for discussion but I don't think it has anything to do with money. I think Arkansas has enough money support. The better discussion should be about the lack of high school coaching in Arkansas and why are they not producing a lot more Division 1 players consistently. I know next year is suppose to be an exception but why isn't there enough Division 1 players to keep the hogs along with few outside of Arkansas to keep the hogs competitive in the top 20. I just expect that we should have at least 3 players on each side of the ball to be outstanding. But I guess I'm expecting to much.

Too many small school districts spreading the talent too thinly and not allowing it to have the benefits that larger districts provide. That goes for academics, athletics, extra curricular activities, music, etc. My kids went to a small school for a few years, and once they started in a much larger district, we were amazed at all the opportunities and resources they had access to. Of course we all know the answer to this problem, but be danged we cant take any of these small schools away, it would just ruin the towns they are in ( sarcasm dripping on that last line ). If the district is so small it is being looked at for consolidation, it is most likely the town is already in ruins.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MJ2

There are many other coaches at other programs that have done much more with much less.   Even at AR, we are only a few seasons removed from 11 wins and 10 wins.   Facilities are already in place and the money is available.   What's the missing element - coaching- hopefully that will show up this year.

al_pigcino

Quote from: MJ2 on August 01, 2014, 09:58:27 am
There are many other coaches at other programs that have done much more with much less.   Even at AR, we are only a few seasons removed from 11 wins and 10 wins.   Facilities are already in place and the money is available.   What's the missing element - coaching- hopefully that will show up this year.
It's not as cut and dry as coaching.  I'm not sure Nick Saban would have won an SEC game last year with his starting QB out and the lack of talent left from the coach who won 11 and 10 wins.......The only coaches who could have won games are ones who create offensive matchups like Sumlin and Malzhan.  A program building coach wouldn't have done much more if any at all more than CBB did.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on August 01, 2014, 09:50:19 am
Too many small school districts spreading the talent too thinly and not allowing it to have the benefits that larger districts provide. That goes for academics, athletics, extra curricular activities, music, etc. My kids went to a small school for a few years, and once they started in a much larger district, we were amazed at all the opportunities and resources they had access to. Of course we all know the answer to this problem, but be danged we cant take any of these small schools away, it would just ruin the towns they are in ( sarcasm dripping on that last line ). If the district is so small it is being looked at for consolidation, it is most likely the town is already in ruins.

Your sounding like a moron  Humnoke and Gillett were great towns till they got the schools closed by the State. Being on a Bus 2 OR more Hours a day negates the Opportunities the Bigger Distict gives . 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

go hogues

Quote from: IAMHogholio on July 31, 2014, 02:04:08 pm

FedEx, Tyson, WalMart, Reynolds Alcoa, Stephens, the trucking companies, the list goes on
FedEx are HUGE Ole Miss supporters and IIRC, WalMart no longer donates to the athletic programs. Not sure about the rest?
I know Larry Crain gives a lot, as does Tom Schick(sp?).
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

al_pigcino

I like NWA.  I like Central Arkansas.  I don't think either one is better than the other. 

ricepig

It takes a village to raise all these idiots......yes, myself included.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 01, 2014, 10:54:21 am
Your sounding like a moron  Humnoke and Gillett were great towns till they got the schools closed by the State. Being on a Bus 2 OR more Hours a day negates the Opportunities the Bigger Distict gives .

Glad to see the name calling and personal attacks stopped on August 1st. If the school is the towns biggest employer, and thus when it is gone the town dries up, then the town was dead anyway, they just didn't know it.

I am sorry, but when you choose to live 2 hours from anywhere else, you have to put up with the good and the bad.  The bad is having to drive a long way to shop, to get medical care, to buy a car, and to get to a good school with lots of resources. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hogsanity on August 01, 2014, 11:12:44 am
Glad to see the name calling and personal attacks stopped on August 1st. If the school is the towns biggest employer, and thus when it is gone the town dries up, then the town was dead anyway, they just didn't know it.

I am sorry, but when you choose to live 2 hours from anywhere else, you have to put up with the good and the bad.  The bad is having to drive a long way to shop, to get medical care, to buy a car, and to get to a good school with lots of resources. 

So what exactly is the good?

hogsanity

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 01, 2014, 11:15:15 am
So what exactly is the good?

If you like living in a rural area, farming maybe, having no close neighbors. I am sure there are good parts to people who like rural life, just as there is good and bad to living anywhere.  What many people seem to think though is that they are entitled to all the things that living in a larger population center has, schools, medical, shopping, etc, all the while staying in there 20 person town. The problem with schools is how it throws the economies of scale all out of whack.  If those schools had to rely on funds ONLY from taxes within their district, they would have closed long ago.

jwaldhog

Benton and Washington County aren't even in the state's top 3 counties in median household income.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: jwaldhog on August 01, 2014, 11:25:03 am
Benton and Washington County aren't even in the state's top 3 counties in median household income.

Why don't you list them then along with median home price, test scores, teacher pay, etc and we will see how BenWaCo stacks up.  We have also had to deal with a large influx of refugees over the past decade from the lower counties.  We gladly take them in with open arms though.  I mean if not the cost of paying for sanitation services, fast food workers, Walmart store associates would be through the roof.

al_pigcino

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 01, 2014, 12:44:41 pm
Why don't you list them then along with median home price, test scores, teacher pay, etc and we will see how BenWaCo stacks up.  We have also had to deal with a large influx of refugees over the past decade from the lower counties.  We gladly take them in with open arms though.  I mean if not the cost of paying for sanitation services, fast food workers, Walmart store associates would be through the roof.
http://www.uark.edu/ua/oep/Resources/2010_2011_School_Level_ITBS_Data.xls

The top schools are in Central Arkansas -  Vilonia and Cabot.............

Overall NWA won the battle. A juggernaut of a victory at 54.7 to 51.5. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: al_pigcino on August 01, 2014, 01:02:14 pm
http://www.uark.edu/ua/oep/Resources/2010_2011_School_Level_ITBS_Data.xls

The top schools are in Central Arkansas -  Vilonia and Cabot.............

Overall NWA won the battle. A juggernaut of a victory at 54.7 to 51.5. 

A win is a win.  Bentonville won the top all around sports program for a school it's size.  Not statewide but nationally.  How many places outside NWA regularly make the top 10 lists for places to live, work, retire? 

I could go on, but my man servant just brought me a martini while I wait for Sterling and Winston my two chums from boarding school to join me for a rousing round of golf at The Blessings.

PonderinHog

LZH

Just sayin', the LR metro market outguns the NWA market by 3 to 1 in total revenue.  Again, just sayin'.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: LZH on August 01, 2014, 02:37:41 pm
Just sayin', the LR metro market outguns the NWA market by 3 to 1 in total revenue.  Again, just sayin'.

Hoover's Folk Nation approves

razorbackkid

Somebody send me a million dollars and I'll gladly give the U of A half of it.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Wildhog

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 01, 2014, 03:13:27 pm
Somebody send me a million dollars and I'll gladly give the U of A half of it.

That's like a couple of year's worth of player payroll at Bama/AU.
1909/1964/1965/1977

razorbackkid

Quote from: Wildhog on August 01, 2014, 03:18:01 pm
Maybe the U of A needs to start building churches. 
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

RollHogTide

Quote from: Wildhog on August 01, 2014, 03:18:01 pm

We pay better than that - maybe a couple of months.

Wildhog

Quote from: RollHogTide on August 01, 2014, 03:53:33 pm
We pay better than that - maybe a couple of months.

I started out with a year.  Then I edited it to a couple of years.

Now that I really think about it, you're probably right.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jesterzzn

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: al_pigcino on August 01, 2014, 06:49:56 am
Wyoming has 6 billionaires and less than a million people.  It should have the best football program.

They do have the best football. Everyone on here will tell you the Cowboys are the best football team that's ever been!