Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Do I Look Up?

Started by Randy Johnson, July 31, 2014, 08:34:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Johnson

I played most my golf not knowing this is what I do. When a pro told me I began to play better by simply keeping my eye on the ball. Makes you keep your head down and all kinds of good things. Yet I still look up sometimes before I hit the ball. It makes me look like I just started playing. When I don't peak I play very good. When I start looking my game goes to hell. Anyone have a tip how I can put this thing to bed for good.

alwaysondbigscreen

attach a trebble hook to your nuts, run the line to your forhead, that should stop it.
my dad always said your looking at that great shot your about to hit
some say he's a cia experiment gone wrong

kingofdequeen

b/c you touch yourself at night.

ricepig

Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 31, 2014, 04:29:02 pm
b/c you touch yourself at night.

No, that's why he wakes up at night.

widespreadsooie

I know it may sound odd, but when I was having trouble keeping my head down, I always went back to the mentality of "picking the ball up with my forehead." Really worked for me.

userpick

Watch David Duval back when he was good.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

What about finding a specific place on the ball each time to focus on, instead of just the whole ball?  Find a letter or other specific area and lock on to that.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

EastexHawg

One of my buddies and I were on the course one day when he chili dipped one in front of the old club pro who was an old friend of his dad's.  The pro looks at him and says,  "You know, son, there ain't never yet been a man lost a golf ball chipping, so what's the hurry to look for it?"

I do it, too.  Makes me want to slap the taste out of my own mouth.

userpick

I don't think the problem is "looking up." Duval, Sorenstam, and others never saw the ball at impact. There's a difference in looking up and coming out of your posture.

Rendezvous Cook

Wear a pair of sunglasses and look underneath the frames for the whole shot.  This will keep your head still. 

kingofdequeen

Quote from: userpick on July 31, 2014, 08:54:43 pm
I don't think the problem is "looking up." Duval, Sorenstam, and others never saw the ball at impact. There's a difference in looking up and coming out of your posture.

dude, these mugs don't have that kind of athleticism.  neither does duval anymore. 

stick your butt out, stretch your neck out and wait on your back shoulder to shove your eyes up.   don't look up till you gotta.   

userpick

Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 31, 2014, 10:23:47 pm
dude, these mugs don't have that kind of athleticism.  neither does duval anymore. 

stick your butt out, stretch your neck out and wait on your back shoulder to shove your eyes up.   don't look up till you gotta.   

I'll respectfully disagree. Has nothing to do with athleticism. When average golfers focus on keeping their heads still, they get zero shoulder turn. Keeping your head down at impact is just up to you. All I was saying is, coming out of your posture isn't the same thing as looking up. 99.9% of bad golfers come out of their posture.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: userpick on July 31, 2014, 10:30:06 pm
I'll respectfully disagree. Has nothing to do with athleticism. When average golfers focus on keeping their heads still, they get zero shoulder turn. Keeping your head down at impact is just up to you. All I was saying is, coming out of your posture isn't the same thing as looking up. 99.9% of bad golfers come out of their posture.

you're expecting a lot bruh.  play with more dudes who can't bust a hundo and you start to understand just how far back dudes are coming from, in relation to what you can do.

userpick

Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 31, 2014, 10:31:29 pm
you're expecting a lot bruh.  play with more dudes who can't bust a hundo and you start to understand just how far back dudes are coming from, in relation to what you can do.

I'm not saying keeping your head down is wrong. Most tour pros do. I'm saying when most people say "I looked up" they really did something else which might have caused them to "look up". I'm also saying when people focus on keeping their head still the entire swing, that's not good. Every good golfer in the world has head movement.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: userpick on July 31, 2014, 10:38:01 pm
I'm not saying keeping your head down is wrong. Most tour pros do. I'm saying when most people say "I looked up" they really did something else which might have caused them to "look up". I'm also saying when people focus on keeping their head still the entire swing, that's not good. Every good golfer in the world has head movement.

i said don't look up, not keep your head still brochacho. 

the look up swings hard to do.  to say they can still do it if they do everything else perfect isn't realistic. 

kingofdequeen

and julia louis dreyfus is hotter than a cheap pistol holy mother of god.

i mean, she's not that old to be his mother, but she is old.  and shes a smoke show.

August 01, 2014, 05:28:37 am #16 Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:42:48 am by 71832
now that was a well thought out intelligent discourse between two people whom even though they had dissenting points of view neither resorted to fcj-ing the other. however neither answered razor's question to my satisfaction. although kod did offer up a nice tip and user posted an intelligent observation. razor when I have this issue (it is one of my worse faults especially when chipping) it is because my transition is too quick or maybe its what causes my transition to be to quick. kinda a chicken/egg thingy. anyway when I concentrate on a smooth transition I am able to stay in my posture with my eyes down on the ball allowing my back shoulder to shove my eyes up. also some folks allow their head to cock down, kod's stretch the neck tip (he must have someone who stressed this to him at some point) which cause's their chin to be in the way of their shoulder turn and when the chin and shoulder connect the head tends to want to turn out with the front shoulder.

alwaysondbigscreen

Quote from: 71832 on August 01, 2014, 05:28:37 am
now that was a well thought out intelligent discourse between two people whom even though they had dissenting points of view neither resorted to fcj-ing the other. however neither answered razor's question to my satisfaction. although kod did offer up a nice tip and user posted an intelligent observation. razor when I have this issue (it is one of my worse faults especially when chipping) it is because my transition is too quick or maybe its what causes my transition to be to quick. kinda a chicken/egg thingy. anyway when I concentrate on a smooth transition I am able to stay in my posture with my eyes down on the ball allowing my back shoulder to shove my eyes up. also some folks allow their head to cock down, kod's stretch the neck tip (he must have someone who stressed this to him at some point) which cause's their chin to be in the way of their shoulder turn and when the chin and shoulder connect the head tends to want to turn out with the front shoulder.
so you didn't like my idea with the treble hook? I'm hurt
these youngins are to soft, a little negative reinforcement goes a long way
some say he's a cia experiment gone wrong

Randy Johnson

Thanks all...... this gives me some stuff to think about and try. The fish hook idea would be a huge step in controlling the over population of bad golfers. The looking up thing is something I see everyone do from time to time. I'm going to try theses ideas thanks.

gotyacovered

Quote from: RazorWorld on July 31, 2014, 08:34:54 am
I played most my golf not knowing this is what I do. When a pro told me I began to play better by simply keeping my eye on the ball. Makes you keep your head down and all kinds of good things. Yet I still look up sometimes before I hit the ball. It makes me look like I just started playing. When I don't peak I play very good. When I start looking my game goes to hell. Anyone have a tip how I can put this thing to bed for good.

looking up=anxiety

2 solutions

alprazolam
-or-
be perfectly willing to accept the results of your shot, good or bad--before you hit it.

its mental.
You are what you tolerate.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: gotyacovered on August 01, 2014, 08:19:28 am
looking up=anxiety

2 solutions

alprazolam
-or-
be perfectly willing to accept the results of your shot, good or bad--before you hit it.

its mental.

xanax or buddhism.  nice work, sensei.

cosmodrum

As a recent (and often current) hack, what helps me is to think of my finish as pulling my head up.
Go away, batin'

HF#1

Your right shoulder should bring your head up and around.  Keep it still until your right shoulder hits your chin.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

cosmodrum

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 01, 2014, 09:36:42 am
By the way, Cosmo, it is a rather interesting journey between snorting blow from clankers and your current signature quote.  You are definitely (attempting) to cover all bases here sir.....

I'm a mystery, wrapped in a riddle, inside a doosh canoe.
Go away, batin'

GolfNut57

Quote from: RazorWorld on August 01, 2014, 07:51:36 am
Thanks all...... this gives me some stuff to think about and try. The fish hook idea would be a huge step in controlling the over population of bad golfers. The looking up thing is something I see everyone do from time to time. I'm going to try theses ideas thanks.

Even the one about the treble hook?  :D
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

JoeyCapital

You lost me at Julia l dreyfus is a smoke show. Kod, you must be a lot older than you look.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece