Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which NBA team would you take in this picture?

Started by Sweet Feet, July 30, 2014, 01:05:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

Im leaning towards team 1 but its hard. What do you say?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 30, 2014, 01:05:25 pm
Im leaning towards team 1 but its hard. What do you say?

If you're not leaning toward team 2, you're leaning the wrong way.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on July 30, 2014, 02:22:48 pm

No doubt.

The other teams feature Allen Iverson, Carmelo Anthony, and Kobe Bryant, respectively. Gross chemistry.

The_Iceman

Team 1:
PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Kobe
SF: Durant
PF: Duncan
C: Ewing

Team 2:
PG: Chris Paul
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Larry Bird
PF: Barkley
C: Kareem

Team 3:
PG: Stockton
SG: Iverson
SF: Lebron
PF: Malone
C: The Dream

Team 4:
PG: Magic
SG: D-Wade
SF: Carmelo
PF: Garnett
C: Shaq

The_Iceman

When I think of all these players in their prime, there is one player that stands out to me, and that is Shaq. In his best year, Shaq averaged 30 ppg, 14 rebs, 4 asts, and 3 blks...while weighing 330 pounds. Most people have a negative opinion of shaq because of the way he played and because of how bad he looked at the end of his career, but man with a team of Magic, D-Wade, Melo, and KG around him (in their primes)....he would be hard to stop.

Shaq in 2000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kM2OdZPVaw

The_Iceman

Ultimately, I gotta go with Team 2. Chris Paul dishing it to MJ and Bird, with Barkley and Kareem inside...that's just too much to handle.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on July 30, 2014, 02:22:48 pm

The only reason why i said that is because while kareem guarding ewing, duncan would beat barkley in the post just because his height and fundamentals alone. Then i dont think bird can guard KD. But then at the same time, team 2 offense would be sick, especially with kareem, bird, and MJ along with an assist player like paul

The_Iceman

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 30, 2014, 03:24:53 pm
The only reason why i said that is because while kareem guarding ewing, duncan would beat barkley in the post just because his height and fundamentals alone. Then i dont think bird can guard KD. But then at the same time, team 2 offense would be sick, especially with kareem, bird, and MJ along with an assist player like paul

In his prime, Bird could guard KD.

Ironhawg

July 30, 2014, 03:39:45 pm #10 Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:30:06 pm by Ironhawg
Duncan
Bird
Kareem
Magic
Jordan

(Yeah, I didn't follow instructions.)

Inhogswetrust

July 30, 2014, 03:52:21 pm #11 Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:29:56 am by Inhogswetrust
2. But all if them would be damn good.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

mbgrulz

D-Wade being included in this groups is funny to me.

mbgrulz

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 30, 2014, 02:44:28 pm
When I think of all these players in their prime, there is one player that stands out to me, and that is Shaq. In his best year, Shaq averaged 30 ppg, 14 rebs, 4 asts, and 3 blks...while weighing 330 pounds. Most people have a negative opinion of shaq because of the way he played and because of how bad he looked at the end of his career, but man with a team of Magic, D-Wade, Melo, and KG around him (in their primes)....he would be hard to stop.

Shaq in 2000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kM2OdZPVaw
Agree...he was as dominating a player that I have seen. He completely changed the way teams had to play. His  size and speed were incredible for those few years.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

mbgrulz

masshog2412

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 30, 2014, 02:37:14 pm
Team 1:
PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Kobe
SF: Durant
PF: Duncan
C: Ewing

Team 2:
PG: Chris Paul
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Larry Bird
PF: Barkley
C: Kareem

Team 3:
PG: Stockton
SG: Iverson
SF: Lebron
PF: Malone
C: The Dream

Team 4:
PG: Magic
SG: D-Wade
SF: Carmelo
PF: Garnett
C: Shaq
Team 2 would be the epitemy of CLUTCH
(minus Barkley)

Dr. Starcs

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Quote from: masshog2412 on July 30, 2014, 05:12:03 pm
Team 2 would be the epitemy of CLUTCH
(minus Barkley)

Whatever...Barkley was incredibly clutch, and was the go to guy offensively on every team he played on.

This is Game 6 of 1993 Western Conference Finals:

navyhog24

Quote from: mbgrulz on July 30, 2014, 04:49:04 pm

Actually Melo is more of a laugh than Wade.

The_Iceman

July 30, 2014, 07:54:27 pm #21 Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:04:30 am by The_Iceman

Go look at his prime seasons. Among best ever.

2008-2009: 30.2 ppg, 5.0 rebs, 7.5 asts, 2.2 stls, 1.3 blks.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

LL COOL HOG

D-Wade is my favorite current player. He is nearing the end of his career however.

Regardless. I would go with #2.

Quote from: navyhog24 on July 30, 2014, 07:09:09 pm
Actually Melo is more of a laugh than Wade.

Agreed.  Definitely does not belong with the rest.

mbgrulz

Sweet Feet

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 30, 2014, 08:54:23 pm
FIFY...but seriously, wouldn't it have been fun to see Bird and Jordan together when they were in their primes?
it was fun just seeing them on the dream team

hvsupastar

Lakers Shaq just too dominant. If MJ is greatest of all time,  Magic is 1B. Give me team 4
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote from: hvsupastar on July 30, 2014, 08:59:53 pm
Lakers Shaq just too dominant. If MJ is greatest of all time,  Magic is 1B. Give me team 4

With Carmelo and Garnett?  Those are 2 huge weak spots against these teams.  No way, they don't beat any of the other teams, even with Magic and Shaq.

yraciv

Quote from: mbgrulz on July 30, 2014, 08:50:14 pm
True...I Shoulda said CP3 too.

CP3 is a Top 5 PG of all time. Oscar Robertson had the numbers and did it all, but most of the great PG had flaws. Magic didn't have a jumper and was slow. Stockton was too small to grab rebounds and wasn't good from the perimeter. Chris Paul does a little of everything well, he passes well, rebounds well, and shoots a higher % from field than those guys. Plus I think his defense is 2nd to Payton in my top 5.  You look at his 07-09 numbers, and other than Oscar Robertson you'll have a hard time finding someone with better numbers.  And his assist to turnover ratios are second to none with his usage %. 

yraciv

July 30, 2014, 09:14:18 pm #30 Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:58:27 am by yraciv
And to the post, I go 2,3,4,1.  Of course MJ, Bird, & Kareem is about as clutch as you can get. Get CP3 on an all star team and all he does is dish, hit jumpers, & not turn it over.  Same with Stockton, and you are giving him his prime target Malone, along with the 2nd best player of all time.  Not too mention I'd take the Dream over all centers listed, okay maybe not in shape Shaq. AI would find his role like he did with Team USA. Yes he like to shoot, but he knows his role. Team 4 and 1 would be a crapshoot, but give it 4 b/ of Johnson & Shaq and that Kobe/Thomas backcourt chemistry would scare me to death.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

hvsupastar

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on July 30, 2014, 09:05:12 pm
With Carmelo and Garnett?  Those are 2 huge weak spots against these teams.  No way, they don't beat any of the other teams, even with Magic and Shaq.

I don't consider KG a weakness at all. In fact, probably the best defender at PF on the list. Magic is going to be guarded by someone 7 inches shorter in each scenario. Give me 4
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

lwillin

The 5 that would make the best team of all those, IMO:

Isaiah - And I can't stand him
Jordan
Bird
Barkley
The Dream

lwillin

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on July 30, 2014, 10:46:39 pm
The 5 that would make the best team of all those, IMO:

Isaiah - And I can't stand him
Jordan
Bird
Barkley
The Dream
That would be a great team also. (But I don't think Jordan would play on a team with Isaiah).

Quote from: lwillin on July 30, 2014, 10:54:48 pm
That would be a great team also. (But I don't think Jordan would play on a team with Isaiah).

Good point.  It was really close for me between Magic or Isaiah.  I think Isaiah is the better PG overall, and would have been on the Dream Team had it not been for Jordan.  Magic could've played small forward and maybe been better individually.  But he was such a good "QB" type player and leader, he made everyone around him play their best.  That's a tough call, as many of these are.  Shaq and the Dream were close for me also.

yraciv

Advanced statistics don't back the Isiah comment up and then there is the whole love him/hate him thing with players that wouldn't be good for chemistry.  Kobe has some of that too, so I instantly discredited team 1.

I just looked up the Win Shares/48 Minutes rankings, which in my opinion is one of the better metrics out there.  Here is what I came up with for PG in the regular season.
1. Chris Paul - .2464
2. Magic Johnson - .2249
3. Jerry West - .2131
4. John Stockton - .2087
5. Oscar Robertson - .2069
6. Kevin Johnson - .1777
7. Walt Frazier - .1760
8. Chauncey Billups - .1756
9. Steve Nash - .1636
10. Mark Price - .1582

Now Isiah came in at a whopping .109!  He had a 3 season peak from 83-86 where he was very good, but the excellence hardly lasted.  Now his playoff numbers serve much better, and that is what people remember him by am I right?  There he comes in at .1429, and 65th highest in NBA history.  For comparison sake Magic comes in at 4, West at 5, Frazier at 10, Paul at 14, Stockton at 41.

His postseason prowess may sneak him in the top over Price & Nash, who don't have near the postseason success and were always light on defense, but he is no where near the top 5.  And there are other PG such as Tony Parker and Gary Payton that didn't even make that list but were close.

Quote from: yraciv on July 31, 2014, 12:54:20 am
Advanced statistics don't back the Isiah comment up and then there is the whole love him/hate him thing with players that wouldn't be good for chemistry.  Kobe has some of that too, so I instantly discredited team 1.

I just looked up the Win Shares/48 Minutes rankings, which in my opinion is one of the better metrics out there.  Here is what I came up with for PG in the regular season.
1. Chris Paul - .2464
2. Magic Johnson - .2249
3. Jerry West - .2131
4. John Stockton - .2087
6. Kevin Johnson - .1777
7. Walt Frazier - .1760
9. Steve Nash - .1636
10. Mark Price - .1582

Now Isiah came in at a whopping .109!  He had a 3 season peak from 83-86 where he was very good, but the excellence hardly lasted.  Now his playoff numbers serve much better, and that is what people remember him by am I right?  There he comes in at .1429, and 65th highest in NBA history.  For comparison sake Magic comes in at 4, West at 5, Frazier at 10, Paul at 14, Stockton at 41.

His postseason prowess may sneak him in the top over Price & Nash, who don't have near the postseason success and were always light on defense, but he is no where near the top 5.  And there are other PG such as Tony Parker and Gary Payton that didn't even make that list but were close.

Excellent points.  I think Isaiah really shot himself in the foot by being a jerk. 

The_Iceman

Carmelo should be replaced with either Pippin or Worthy. Or even Dr J or George Gervin.

1highhog

If we're talking each player in their primes, oh Lordy!  Anyone that doesn't go with team 2 is a moron.  MJ, possibly the best player ever, Kareem with the skyhook was unguardable, Barkley at small forward was good for 25/12 a game, and Bird at Forward being one of the most clutch and dangerous 3pt shooters to ever play the game, Chris Paul would have a field day running that offense with so many weapons to go to plus what he himself could do.  They would be the 1st Dream Team, while the others would be the others that came after them.

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 31, 2014, 06:29:41 am
Carmelo should be replaced with either Pippin or Worthy. Or even Dr J or George Gervin.

Now we're talking..

lwillin

Quote from: yraciv on July 31, 2014, 12:54:20 am

1. Chris Paul - .2464
2. Magic Johnson - .2249
3. Jerry West - .2131
4. John Stockton - .2087
6. Kevin Johnson - .1777
7. Walt Frazier - .1760
9. Steve Nash - .1636
10. Mark Price - .1582

Good information, and I don't have issue with the stats. But the intangibles Isaiah possessed are hard to measure .

Like the others on that list, he could put a team on his shoulders and will them to a win. Without him, I doubt those Piston teams would have achieved near the success that they had. (I once saw the guy pass the ball to himself without traveling).

Other than Magic, Oscar and Walt, I'd have a hard time choosing any other pg ahead of him.

secfan30

Number 2... Actually a pretty mean confident group. I'd have Barkley slam Shaq again for fun.

Inhogswetrust

Dang I didn't even notice that was Shaq on #4. I should have looked closer! I want to change my answer to a tie between #2 and #4.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

1highhog

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on July 30, 2014, 11:20:00 pm
Good point.  It was really close for me between Magic or Isaiah.  I think Isaiah is the better PG overall, and would have been on the Dream Team had it not been for Jordan.  Magic could've played small forward and maybe been better individually.  But he was such a good "QB" type player and leader, he made everyone around him play their best.  That's a tough call, as many of these are.  Shaq and the Dream were close for me also.

Shaq should not even be in the top 5 of NBA Centers.  He wouldn't have been able to guard Kareem, we know he couldn't guard Hakeem, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, or Moses Malone.  If the NBA would call a game like they should, over half of the players in it wouldn't be able to play, double dribbling, taking 4-5 steps before dribbling, crossover uh huh, more like palming the ball everytime.  Shaq, 3 second lane violation every single time and half the time an offensive foul should have been called.  Yep, MJ was just as guilty as all the rest, and he's my favorite player, ghost fouls called, same thing with Kobe, drives in the lane and his fouling everybody and somehow somebody ghost fouls him.  I was robbed of playing in the NBA cause I'm white and got big feet!

dhornjr1

husker71

Shaq could guard Russell who could not shoot a 10 footer   he got his points on following up fast breaks and offensive rebounds .  Moses had some great moves not only down low but just on the baseline.  The Rockets used a play vs the Celtics where Dunleavy or Leavell would wait until Moses had inside position and just throw the ball up on the backboard and let him go get it and put it in and sometimes also get fouled.  He is one of the most underrated players of all time IMHO.