Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changes In Hogs' Defense Create Excitement

Started by Mike Irwin, July 29, 2014, 10:02:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

FAYETTEVILLE--Nobody is more excited about the start of Razorback Football practices next week than linebackers coach Randy Shannon. "You go on vacation. You spend money you don't have. So you come back and you're refreshed and the guys are refreshed. They're happy to see you back and so it's fun," Shannon observed.

"This is what we do," defensive coordinator Robb Smith echoed. "We coach football. I had a little bit of the Griswold family vacation, traveling all over the midwest. My wife is ready for me to go back to work. If training camp started tomorrow that wouldn't be a bad thing."

Shannon is getting a new addition to his linebacker corp this week with the anticipated arrival of Josh Williams, a 6-2, 230 pounder with 4.43 speed out of Dodge City Junior College.
-----------------
To read more and to view the video version of this story click on the link below:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/changes-in-hogs-defense-create-excitement/33821/PvZmw070nUqisiOvu6QLSQ

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

ricepig

Quote from: Lanny on July 31, 2014, 09:38:19 am
I am ready for football

Yep, even if it's practice in shorts, it's football and means the season is near.

Wildhog

I'm so excited to see what Josh Williams can do.  We sure need him.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

acey33

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 31, 2014, 09:41:32 am
I'm so excited to see what Josh Williams can do.  We sure need him.
The best thing is he will have 3 years to play, most JC guys seem to struggle for a while, or at least the ones we sign. Hopefully, he breaks that trend.

Bebop

I'm excited at seeing a more aggressive defense. I honestly think this will be better for us.

JIHawg

Good article.  Can someone give an example of "simplifying the defense" for the linebackers, so they will be quicker and more aggressive?  Thanks.

SemperFi

I am ready for football

I'll be thrilled with practice reports! It's been a long, long time for not only football to start up again, but to see my Hogs in action again. WPS!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Biggus Piggus

I have a feeling this defense has more usable depth, because Smith's style is more aggressive and can use more players in situational roles that don't require lots of learning.
[CENSORED]!

jgphillips3

Foooo-ball!!!!

It can't get here soon enough.

Speedracer

I would THINK we have to be better on defense this season.
Like smites bother me.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 31, 2014, 11:31:20 am
I have a feeling this defense has more usable depth, because Smith's style is more aggressive and can use more players in situational roles that don't require lots of learning.

And on that point, there are also just a lot more usable (talented) players on campus.  Particularly in the secondary.  And for the first time in years, we don't have to rely on freshmen and inexperience back there.  That is SUCH a big deal. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Speedracer on July 31, 2014, 11:36:21 am
I would THINK we have to be better on defense this season.

Lol, I have been thinking this for the last 8 years.

Hawgzinbowlz

azhog10

I thought Josh Williams was here this summer. Remember Bielema mentioned only Jefferson and Tretola a few weeks back as having not reported yet.

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: azhog10 on July 31, 2014, 01:19:55 pm
I thought Josh Williams was here this summer. Remember Bielema mentioned only Jefferson and Tretola a few weeks back as having not reported yet.
Nope. Shannon said last week that he was not on campus yet.

ifghog

al_pigcino

Quote from: Bebop on July 31, 2014, 10:05:30 am
I'm excited at seeing a more aggressive defense. I honestly think this will be better for us.
I would love to see a blitz that involved more than 4 people and that actually got pressure.  I can't remember the last time we had a blitz where someone other than a DL was the one applying the pressure. :(

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 31, 2014, 01:45:07 pm
Nope. Shannon said last week that he was not on campus yet.
6 days ago the 700 Lb hog video was made...

http://vimeo.com/101675995 if you look at the 00:53 second mark on the right side of the screen if i'm not mistaken it is Josh Williams.

A photo was taken yesterday with a photo of all four of the new LB additions..

https://twitter.com/No_off_days/status/494472569165066241

Sorry if I'm comprehending the conversation wrong Mike! That would leave a 7 day window for when he actually got on campus.

wholehog92

How the heck does Randy Shannon spend that much money on a vaca?  Partying with Nick Marshall?
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Great read.  Williams is fast, love to see that size and speed.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: JIHawg on July 31, 2014, 10:16:33 am
Good article.  Can someone give an example of "simplifying the defense" for the linebackers, so they will be quicker and more aggressive?  Thanks.

Simple would be, if the ball goes that way you go that way.  If there is a gap you fill gap.  Or, if TE come your way expect him to get the ball, hit him when he get the ball(into tomorrow).

And so on!

Now see how many of ya 'll can confuse the issue.

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 31, 2014, 07:04:21 pm
Simple would be, if the ball goes that way you go that way.  If there is a gap you fill gap.  Or, if TE come your way expect him to get the ball, hot him when he get the ball(into tomorrow).

Hulk, smash!

But seriously, sounds like just being more physical is going to be a big part of it.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Mike Irwin

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on July 31, 2014, 04:21:14 pm

http://vimeo.com/101675995 if you look at the 00:53 second mark on the right side of the screen if i'm not mistaken it is Josh Williams.

Sorry if I'm comprehending the conversation wrong Mike! That would leave a 7 day window for when he actually got on campus.
Clearly he's there. What I wrote was based on what Shannon said at the NWA Razorback Club's golf tourney. He indicated that he had only seen Williams on video which I thought meant he had not yet arrived since this summer coaches can actually get on the field and watch players.

Thanks. I'll correct the story.

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

OTTER

BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

DallasHogFan

Where the heck did Coach Shannon go to spend the money he "doesn't have?" :)
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 31, 2014, 07:10:58 pm
Clearly he's there. What I wrote was based on what Shannon said at the NWA Razorback Club's golf tourney. He indicated that he had only seen Williams on video which I thought meant he had not yet arrived since this summer coaches can actually get on the field and watch players.

Thanks. I'll correct the story.
Glad to assist one of my favorite reporters! Listen to you all the time on 93.3 going from class to class.

DeltaBoy

WE sure need the Big Red D to be like that 78 group we had.  BIGGUS THREAD about a Nutt like 3-5 year building plan plumb enough to drive me to DRINK.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

al_pigcino

Quote from: DallasHogFan on July 31, 2014, 08:22:31 pm
Where the heck did Coach Shannon go to spend the money he "doesn't have?" :)
He doesn't have it.  His wife does.

Hawk

Swinesong

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 31, 2014, 08:05:36 pm
IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME
With Robb Smith as LB Coach last year, Tampa Bay led the NFL in unnecessary roughness, roughing the qb and roughing the kicker penalties. Hoping that we don't lose anyone for targeting and don't get flagged for every hit we make but will be nice to see the other teams needing extra ice bags and bandages for a change. But if we do get a roughing penalty called on us, I hope the hit is a slobber knocker! YEAH, IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

hogwild210

I am ready for football

Quote from: ricepig on July 31, 2014, 09:40:28 am
Yep, even if it's practice in shorts, it's football and means the season is near.

I would be satisfied with flag football at this point. I NEED MY PIGSKIN.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

razorbackkid

We need a defense that puts the fear of the Hog in people, hopefully it's coming.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

The Hogfather

Can someone name all of the guys in the pic?

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 01, 2014, 03:00:13 pm
Can someone name all of the guys in the pic?
Yes Randy Ramsey, Khalia Hackett, Josh Williams, Dwayne Eugene.

If you go from the left of the picture to the right it is the guys listed below. Ramsey is taller than everyone else.
http://247sports.com/Player/Randy-Ramsey-21325
http://247sports.com/Player/Khalia-Hackett-16779
http://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Williams-21324
http://247sports.com/Player/Dwayne-Eugene-30016

NorCalRazorback

That is Josh Williams - standing in the back with his hat on backwards!  You are correct.

"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

NorCalRazorback

You are right that was Josh Williams!  Good spot!
"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: al_pigcino on August 01, 2014, 06:44:15 am

He doesn't have it.  His wife does...did.  The plastic card company probably has it now....plus about 18%

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Excellent news about our new defensive style & communications.  Certainly sounds like a big step in the right direction. If we can improve this part of our football team, we will clearly be more competitive.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

southeasthog

Quote from: RandomFan on August 01, 2014, 11:27:58 pm

Personally , I don't mind the defensive penalties like that one bit, unless they are stupid crap happening half the field away from the ball or minutes after the play has been whistled dead or something like that.

A good aggressive late hit on the QB when you think you can get away with it though? That's aggressive football.

Roughing the punter is the one that drives me bonkers. That should go in your turnover stats.

nchogg

You know Coach B is a defensive minded coach. He retooled his defensive coaching staff after last year. I do think the defense will be much better. As far as penalties, you know how coach feels about them, he doesn't like giving yards to any team.

three hog night

Changes in scheme are a big source of concern, but our Dline is very solid and the secondary is going to be very much improved.   The secondary should shock some fans with how much better we are at corner.   Safety is still questionable.   LB is the enigma at this time.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

TMc

Quote from: ricepig on July 31, 2014, 10:04:07 am
The best thing is he will have 3 years to play, most JC guys seem to struggle for a while, or at least the ones we sign. Hopefully, he breaks that trend.

I agree.., seems to be that way.  I'm just hoping he can provide quality depth- anything beyond that is a bonus.

The thing about Defense that is different than Offense(except maybe on the O-line), is that all-out effort, heart, desire....going pelotas to the wall is something that can help you win games, and make up for lack of super-complex defensive schemes.  I think Ash has a great future, but I'm so glad the change happened, because our D needed a fire lit under them that he simply didn't have here - for whatever reason.

I expect our D to play with more of an attitude, even a craziness - especially at home - and give our Offense a lift from time to time.  For ex., consistently giving them the ball with great field position, and a major spark once in a while like a pick or fumble recovery for 6, or a sack for a safety.

While talent on D is still being developed and recruited, heart and effort can go a long way once they start to develop more chemistry, their own identity and camaraderie.  That can and needs to start showing up THIS SEASON, especially when we are at HOME!!!

I can't wait to see the results of some of this that we know they have been working on!

three hog night

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on August 06, 2014, 04:53:45 am
The thing about Defense that is different than Offense(except maybe on the O-line), is that all-out effort, heart, desire....going pelotas to the wall is something that can help you win games, and make up for lack of super-complex defensive schemes.  I think Ash has a great future, but I'm so glad the change happened, because our D needed a fire lit under them that he simply didn't have here - for whatever reason.

I expect our D to play with more of an attitude, even a craziness - especially at home - and give our Offense a lift from time to time.  For ex., consistently giving them the ball with great field position, and a major spark once in a while like a pick or fumble recovery for 6, or a sack for a safety.

While talent on D is still being developed and recruited, heart and effort can go a long way once they start to develop more chemistry, their own identity and camaraderie.  That can and needs to start showing up THIS SEASON, especially when we are at HOME!!!

I can't wait to see the results of some of this that we know they have been working on!

I think the 8-10 yard cushion given by Corners, slow decision making by the FS, and the LB's killed us last year.   We had a great def line but it was wasted by the back 7.   This year is much different- the cushion is gone and we are adding some press coverage.   LB talent and depth has improved.   Peters is healthy, Ellis started as a true FR and learned, Speight should be better, Mitchell should be better, and then Josh Williams is a stud.  The FS position is still an enigma. 
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

RazrRila99

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on July 31, 2014, 07:06:08 pm
Hulk, smash!

But seriously, sounds like just being more physical is going to be a big part of it.

Is there anyone who can do a GIF of Hulk throwing Malzahn around like Loki in Avengers?  I think that would be OUT-FREAKING-STANDING. 

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on August 06, 2014, 04:53:45 am

I love that word... That is all.