Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stephen A. Smith Suspended by ESPN

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, July 29, 2014, 06:38:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Here is his quote:

"What I've tried to employ the female members of my family — some of who you all met and talked to and what have you — is that ... let's make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong actions, because if I come — or somebody else come, whether it's law enforcement officials, your brother or the fellas that you know — if we come after somebody has put their hands on you, it doesn't negate the fact that they already put their hands on you."

I guess he is trying to give all the females in his family jobs.

His butchering of idiomatic expressions and vocabulary drives me crazy...
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

rusvegashog

How did I know that that cat used the word EGREGIOUS in his apology B4 i even read it? I used to be a fan of Stephen A's, but that show is just ATROCIOUS. Unless there is a game on I don't watch ESPN much any more, PTI from time to time. Tisk tisk tick Stephen A that thinking is BARBAROUS and INAPPREHENSIBLE.  So says Mike Tyson.

Quote from: rusvegashog on July 29, 2014, 10:56:57 pm
How did I know that that cat used the word EGREGIOUS in his apology B4 i even read it? I used to be a fan of Stephen A's, but that show is just ATROCIOUS. Unless there is a game on I don't watch ESPN much any more, PTI from time to time. Tisk tisk tick Stephen A that thinking is BARBAROUS and INAPPREHENSIBLE.  So says Mike Tyson.

And Bayless is just as annoying, with his head-bobbing and artificial "attitude".

They are probably nice guys, and might do well in a different format, but it's just too fake.

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on July 29, 2014, 07:22:30 pm
Here is his quote:

"What I've tried to employ the female members of my family — some of who you all met and talked to and what have you — is that ... let's make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong actions, because if I come — or somebody else come, whether it's law enforcement officials, your brother or the fellas that you know — if we come after somebody has put their hands on you, it doesn't negate the fact that they already put their hands on you."

I guess he is trying to give all the females in his family jobs.

His butchering of idiomatic expressions and vocabulary drives me crazy...

Ok, That is not the quote. You do not leave words out that miscues someone's statement. I think Smith is a great speaker. He is the video and I can't really disagree with him on a certain level. You better believe that women hit and verbally demean men. I believe that is what he was referring to.

He is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDzWvHhgTrY You will see that the quote attributed to him is not correct.

rusvegashog

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on July 29, 2014, 11:07:49 pm
And Bayless is just as annoying, with his head-bobbing and artificial "attitude".

They are probably nice guys, and might do well in a different format, but it's just too fake.
Yes 'fake'  and 'artificial' are the operative words.

Quote from: bigrod155 on July 29, 2014, 11:13:53 pm
Ok, That is not the quote. You do not leave words out that miscues someone's statement. I think Smith is a great speaker. He is the video and I can't really disagree with him on a certain level. You better believe that women hit and verbally demean men. I believe that is what he was referring to.

He is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDzWvHhgTrY You will see that the quote attributed to him is not correct.

He said "employ", clearly.  He uses the wrong idiomatic expressions and wrong vocabulary, too often - and it's difficult to listen to.  I'm not talking about what he was saying, but how he says it. 

rusvegashog

Yeah my bad. Watching the video in its context I can't see where what he said is all that wrong.

Quote from: rusvegashog on July 29, 2014, 11:26:44 pm
Yeah my bad. Watching the video in its context I can't see where what he said is all that wrong.

I was only talking about their style, not arguing whether or not he should have been suspended by ESPN. 

Although I'd dock his pay every time he said stuff like "employ", as well as Bayless for every "head-bob"...

And btw, I just copied the quote from the text of the story.

After listening to the clip, I can't figure out what he's trying to say.  He's talking in circles.

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on July 29, 2014, 11:19:15 pm
He said "employ", clearly.  He uses the wrong idiomatic expressions and wrong vocabulary, too often - and it's difficult to listen to.  I'm not talking about what he was saying, but how he says it. 

I wasn't  saying that the word EMPLOY was not used. The word employ does not only refer to a job.

The correct word there should be "implore".

LL COOL HOG

1em·ploy verb \im-ˈplȯi, em-\
: to use (something) for a particular purpose or to do something

: to use or direct (something, such as your time or effort) in order to achieve a particular goal

: to use or get the services of (someone) to do a particular job

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/employ

Quote from: bigrod155 on July 29, 2014, 11:38:52 pm
1em·ploy verb \im-ˈplȯi, em-\
: to use (something) for a particular purpose or to do something

: to use or direct (something, such as your time or effort) in order to achieve a particular goal

: to use or get the services of (someone) to do a particular job

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/employ

Alright, it is possible that's what he meant to use.  But I don't think so.  Honestly, I'm not trying to pick on him, but he does butcher the language way too often.

rusvegashog

I totally understood what you were saying. I was just referring to myself getting two different impressions between reading the quote and watching the clip. Stephen A has almost become a caricature of himself on that show. Kind of like when Conan does his Arnold impersonation or Dana Carvey doing daddy Bush. He throws out those "big" words cause folks expect it.

LL COOL HOG

Listening to the video again. He did say implore. I heard the 'r'.

Quote from: bigrod155 on July 29, 2014, 11:44:45 pm
Listening to the video again. He did say implore. I heard the 'r'.

Lol, that's a pretty heavy Philly accent, but ok.  I think he's from Philly... 

Anyway, I think it's a little ridiculous that they are suspending him for that.  I'll have to listen to the whole thing(if there's more) to form my opinion, but so far this looks like a knee-jerk reaction by ESPN.

DOGALUM

I don't like the guy either.  But what he said.....in my opinion....should not get him suspended at all. 

What I got was......hey....there are bad guys that no matter what you do are gonna hit women. (he's right about that)   Then there are bad guys that....if put in the wrong situation......will hit women.  (like Ray Rice) 

Message is......stay away from the first type....and if you can't stay away from the second type, dont go out of your way to push their buttons. 

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 29, 2014, 11:52:12 pm
I don't like the guy either.  But what he said.....in my opinion....should not get him suspended at all. 

What I got was......hey....there are bad guys that no matter what you do are gonna hit women. (he's right about that)   Then there are bad guys that....if put in the wrong situation......will hit women.  (like Ray Rice) 

Message is......stay away from the first type....and if you can't stay away from the second type, dont go out of your way to push their buttons. 

I like the guy. But I agree with your interpretation completely.

rusvegashog

It reminds me of the comedian Bill Burr's act or even Chris Rock's bit. If you've seen either you'll know what I'm referring to.

lwillin

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on July 29, 2014, 11:35:44 pm
After listening to the clip, I can't figure out what he's trying to say.  He's talking in circles.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on July 29, 2014, 11:19:15 pm

It came out "employ" but I'm thinking his voice inflection caused that. I'm thinking he meant to say "implore".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Iceman

Stephen A. Smith wasn't talking about some dude beating up on his girl for questioning him or arguing with him. By "provoking", I think he was talking about women getting all up in their guy's face and trying to humiliate him...even using physical contact (slapping/pushing). He wasn't saying it was ok for the man to retaliate in those situations, just that women need to be careful not to put themselves in that spot.

In no way, do I think S.A.S. was referring to innocent women getting beaten in their homes by an abusive husband. But, the outrage social media mob had their usual field day with it.

The_Iceman

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 29, 2014, 11:52:12 pm

Agree with this interpretation as well.

thebignasty

I don't know that he should be suspended for showing himself to be a tone deaf idiot, but I'm surprised so many of you don't see anything wrong with the premise of women needing to make sure they don't do anything to provoke a dude into beating them. That sort of thinking implies legitimacy of domestic violence as acceptable in some circumstances. Or at least suggests that the victims of domestic violence are in someway also at fault for being present and provoking outbursts.

Quote from: thebignasty on July 31, 2014, 08:17:18 pm
I don't know that he should be suspended for showing himself to be a tone deaf idiot, but I'm surprised so many of you don't see anything wrong with the premise of women needing to make sure they don't do anything to provoke a dude into beating them. That sort of thinking implies legitimacy of domestic violence as acceptable in some circumstances. Or at least suggests that the victims of domestic violence are in someway also at fault for being present and provoking outbursts.

I think he kept riding the fence and probably wanted to say that, but never actually did.  Had he come out and said it, then I would agree with you. 

DOGALUM

Quote from: thebignasty on July 31, 2014, 08:17:18 pm
I don't think that's what he said at all. 

Just like I would tell my daughters not to wear revealing clothing to a rock concert (or any other time for that matter).   If the DO wear it....it doesn't mean they are looking to get sexually assaulted.   But wearing a turtleneck probably lessens the chances. 

It's called common sense. 

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

The_Iceman

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 31, 2014, 08:35:04 pm

There is little of that left in the world. It has been washed out by people's love of calling other people bigots, idiots, etc. in an attempt to make themselves feel better about who they are.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 31, 2014, 08:35:04 pm
I don't think that's what he said at all. 

Just like I would tell my daughters not to wear revealing clothing to a rock concert (or any other time for that matter).   If the DO wear it....it doesn't mean they are looking to get sexually assaulted.   But wearing a turtleneck probably lessens the chances. 

You have got to be kidding. Burka's for all huh?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 01, 2014, 09:53:13 am
You have got to be kidding. Burka's for all huh?

don't think he's saying that at all.  He wants his daughter to dress conservatively.  Men are naturally more visually oriented than women.  It probably does lessen the females chances.  NOT SAYING THE FEMALE IS ASKING FOR IT by wearing more revealing clothing.  It is never the woman's fault.  That's not the issue, it's the fellow MEN that I (and likely Dogalum) don't trust.  And if it's my daughter I'd want her to dress more conservatively as well.  The man may not be tempted by something they don't see.

Again, it's never her fault and she shouldn't have to be concerned with sexual assault just because of how she dresses.  and in a perfect world that would be the case.  Unfortunately, we have a lot of fellow men in this world who are pieces of shat.  I don't think he's wrong by thinking it probably lessens the chances.  It's sad that they should have to worry about something like that because of clothing but it is the world we live in.

thebignasty

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on August 01, 2014, 10:58:57 am
don't think he's saying that at all.  He wants his daughter to dress conservatively.  Men are naturally more visually oriented than women.  It probably does lessen the females chances.  NOT SAYING THE FEMALE IS ASKING FOR IT by wearing more revealing clothing.  It is never the woman's fault.  That's not the issue, it's the fellow MEN that I (and likely Dogalum) don't trust.  And if it's my daughter I'd want her to dress more conservatively as well.  The man may not be tempted by something they don't see.

Again, it's never her fault and she shouldn't have to be concerned with sexual assault just because of how she dresses.  and in a perfect world that would be the case.  Unfortunately, we have a lot of fellow men in this world who are pieces of shat.  I don't think he's wrong by thinking it probably lessens the chances.  It's sad that they should have to worry about something like that because of clothing but it is the world we live in.

I think that's all fair.

Referencing ways in which women can increase their risk in response to an instance of domestic violence, whether its the intent of the speaker or not, implies some level of culpability of the victim- and as you said, the victim is never 'asking for it.'  Think of it as the dressing slutty of domestic violence responses- you're not asking to get labeled a misogynist moron, but it makes it a lot easier for someone to draw that conclusion than if your response didn't focus on the victim's ability to mitigate their opportunity to be violated.

95_alum

Where's Dr. Starcs? Stephen A. Smith talkin' bad 'bout Dr. Starcs's boy Tony Romo:

Dr. Starcs

My boy?

Calm down son. I get as frustrated as anyone with his proclivity to make mistakes with the game on the line.

But to go 8-8 with that defense last year was almost miraculous. He gets way more blame than he should, but it comes with the territory.

Oh and Stephen a is a proclaimed giants fan. What do you expect him to say.

95_alum

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 07, 2014, 08:43:19 pm
My boy?

Calm down son. I get as frustrated as anyone with his proclivity to make mistakes with the game on the line.

There you are!  +1 my brutha! Iron sharpens iron. New year...

Dr. Starcs

Lol!  I thought you were hatin'!

Forgot you were with me in some of those convos last year.
Unfortunately, I see the boys being worse this year. I've predicted 5-11.

What do you think my man?