Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Early feedback on Razorbacks in summer

Started by Biggus Piggus, July 29, 2014, 03:40:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Based on Mike Anderson's news conference and various rumor mongers ...

Bobby Portis - all-SEC level
Michael Qualls - improving his skills, understands he must be defender/rebounder too
Jabril Durham - the best of the new players so far
Moses Kingsley - will get more playing time
Trey Thompson - working against Portis and Moses is invaluable, will be a contributor right away
Anton Beard - still getting used to the level of competition and his role
Rashad Madden - a better player at the two guard with a point guard on court
Jacorey Williams - finally ready to play
Anthlon Bell - improved (but he always looks good against our guards)
Manuale Watkins - usable guard
Keaton Miles - more versatile than Harris, plays on both ends
Nick Babb - tall like a swingman
Alandise Harris - don't know
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2014, 03:40:15 pm

If he makes the same progression in year three as he did from year 1-2, then he will have a very solid season. He has an ability to light it up in short spurts like no one else on the team. The key in his development will be for him to be able to be consistent over a game/season.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 29, 2014, 03:50:27 pm
If he makes the same progression in year three as he did from year 1-2, then he will have a very solid season. He has an ability to light it up in short spurts like no one else on the team. The key in his development will be for him to be able to be consistent over a game/season.

Mike also made a note in the press conference to say he expects a big year from Bell.

CMA did mention that since Coty Clarke is gone it's Harris time to step up, but Keaton Miles was right behind him.  I would take that as meaning currently still considered the starter at that 4 spot or first forward off the bench, depending on whether or not they start Kingsley.

I've heard nothing but good things about Durham as well.  He was the only guy Bobby Portis bragged on during his time to speak.  CMA also bragged on him for a little bit himself.  Definitely a good sign.

Hawg Red

These are the most interesting to me.

Very encouraging to hear a junior PG is leading the way among newcomers. We badly need a legit ballhandler.

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2014, 03:40:15 pmTrey Thompson - working against Portis and Moses is invaluable, will be a contributor right away

Very surprising to hear Thompson is being expected to contribute right away. Get that plate of crow ready for me, if so.

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2014, 03:40:15 pmAnton Beard - still getting used to the level of competition and his role

Always thought Beard would be able to contribute immediately and not have to adjust too much. Just has always had they gamer, beyond-his-years vibe.

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2014, 03:40:15 pmJacorey Williams - finally ready to play

Very good to hear. Really gonna need him to be ready with Clarke gone.

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2014, 03:40:15 pmKeaton Miles - more versatile than Harris, plays on both ends

Interesting to see his offensive ability touted here. Maybe this is a better style fit? Encouraging nonetheless.

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2014, 03:40:15 pmAlandise Harris - don't know

Not sure how to take this one. We need a big year from him.

Slimac4

Michael Qualls - improving his skills, understands he must be defender/rebounder too
Trey Thompson - working against Portis and Moses is invaluable, will be a contributor right away

I sure wish someone could find the Harris that dominated us 3 years ago... We could use that guy...

Biggus Piggus

I just haven't heard much about Harris this summer. Doesn't mean anything more.
[CENSORED]!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I like the idea of Madden at the 2.  He's so athletic and I can see how he'd be much more comfortable not having to bring the ball up and run the offense.

If he can get into a groove in that role, I think he could really be a prolific scorer.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

choppedporkextrasauce

Harris had some good moments last year. He needs to expand on that. Hopefully now that he's in his third year under CMA the game will click.

Hawg Red

Madden at the 2 would be huge for both the team and Ky. He can handle the ball but his strength is off the ball. We need him playing the 2 as much as possible.

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 29, 2014, 09:04:03 pm
Madden at the 2 would be huge for both the team and Ky. He can handle the ball but his strength is off the ball. We need him playing the 2 as much as possible.

Yes, he can dribble and create his own shot, and that will work so much better for him in the 2 position, than having to bring it up.  He's got great size and athletic ability, and I'm hoping his shot and scoring will improve.

IMO, he has so much more potential than what he's shown.  I'm hoping he really has a break-out season.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Porked Tongue

I really don't believe that TT will contribute this year if we stay healthy.

thebignasty

I like Madden a lot, but where is the great athletic ability coming from? He's not a great dunker. He's not real fast. He's not particularly quick. He's a fairly skilled player, but I don't see him as exceptionally athletic out there.

Quote from: thebignasty on July 29, 2014, 09:39:29 pm
I like Madden a lot, but where is the great athletic ability coming from? He's not a great dunker. He's not real fast. He's not particularly quick. He's a fairly skilled player, but I don't see him as exceptionally athletic out there.

You're right, "athletic" is probably not a good word.  I meant he has size and handles the ball well - and he's pretty quick with the ball, he can take someone on one-on-one and get to the hole most of the time.

ArkansasI

Thanks for the info.

I think I may be the only person that believes Madden reached his potential last year.  Far from a criticism, Ky single-handedly kept us in a few games.  I don't see how he can sustain his production from the 2.  I realize that our collective guard play can improve with Ky at the 2, but I don't see him showing up more on the stat sheet.  Probably allows him to play more minutes.

I think Kingsley is a special talent.  Maybe I over-rate him because he demonstrates nice control despite being his frame.

Williams could have been playing for a couple of years if he could get control of himself.  I suspect he plays all world in practice and pick-up games, but can't do it in a game... lets his emotions get the best of him.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Of the newcomers, I expect Durham and Miles to contribute a bunch - they are more mature...  I also pick Watkins to surprise.

thebignasty

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on July 29, 2014, 09:59:18 pm
You're right, "athletic" is probably not a good word.  I meant he has size and handles the ball well - and he's pretty quick with the ball, he can take someone on one-on-one and get to the hole most of the time.

He definitely is a big guard, and he may be the only guy on the team who can create his own offense.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: thebignasty on July 29, 2014, 10:18:30 pm
He definitely is a big guard, and he may be the only guy on the team who can create his own offense.

That's going to be key for Durham and Beard, stepping up a level of play and still being able to create with the ball in their hands. All the talk of Madden 'moving over' doesn't mean much considering how our motion offense works. If we remain stagnant in the half-court, it'll be Madden off the dribble over and over like it was last season.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

onebadrubi

Another thing is mentally for the three young guards (ill include babb) is having Ky next to them at the 2 who can bail them out if they get in a bind.  Hopefully allowing them to play a little looser and more confident.  Ky with a pop and shoot role at times will give us that 15-20 foot shooter we need to stretch the D out. 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Slimac4 on July 29, 2014, 07:48:06 pm
I sure wish someone could find the Harris that dominated us 3 years ago... We could use that guy...

Harris was a big big reason we beat uk at uk.  He had some bright spots, I'm really looking forward to him just playing like he did at times at the end of last year.

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 29, 2014, 11:06:13 pm
Another thing is mentally for the three young guards (ill include babb) is having Ky next to them at the 2 who can bail them out if they get in a bind.  Hopefully allowing them to play a little looser and more confident.  Ky with a pop and shoot role at times will give us that 15-20 foot shooter we need to stretch the D out. 

Well said, that could be a big advantage

HoopS

I see Harris and Williams similarily.  Skilled guys that just sometimes get out of control.  I am excited for both of them.  Lot of potential in both.

Hearing a lot of good things about Durham.

It also goes without saying that Portis is a key.  He has put on some lean mass and has grown closer to 6'11".  Big man camp also hopefully pays off as he finds himself down on the blocks needing to bang. 

Madden had to do so much last year.  Freeing him up to float will be fun to see. 

Have heard good things on Miles too.

PonderinHog

I have reported all of you to Mods for getting my hopes up.

Hogimus Prime

The Hog will have four guards 6'3" or shorter this year compared to six last year.  This should help with traps and defense on the perimeter

The Hogfather

Quote from: -Blu on July 29, 2014, 03:58:11 pm
I've heard nothing but good things about Durham as well.  He was the only guy Bobby Portis bragged on during his time to speak.  CMA also bragged on him for a little bit himself.  Definitely a good sign.

Love to hear this!

The Hogfather

The biggest thing for Madden is having other scoring options.  Period.  If we have some more guys who can create their own shot, Madden will not have to force as many shots late in the clock.

As HA said, the "moving Madden over to the 2" is overstated.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 30, 2014, 07:45:41 am
The Hog will have four guards 6'3" or shorter this year compared to six last year.  This should help with traps and defense on the perimeter

And of those 4 guards, two are PG's (Beard and Durham), one is a walk-on who will likely not see much playing time (Watkins), and the fourth has no trouble shooting over people at 6'3" (Bell).

We aren't going to lose many games coming out of the tunnel with this roster, that's for sure, unlike in 2012 against Florida when during warmups I could tell we had no chance.

Razorhogger

I was able to watch a couple of practices within the last couple of weeks.  What I saw was a Portis and Kingsley that seem to have figured it out and matured.  They battled each other hard.  Kingsley is a defensive force in which TT had no answer.  TT was not an option in the offense during the scrimmaging I saw.  What he did well was fill up the lane and get junk points off of rebounds......which we need someone to do.  Durham was by far the most effective point guard.  He was able to break down the defense and get into the lane dropping several nice passes off to Portis and Kingsley while they were moving toward the basket......and they finished well.  Beard looked like a freshman trying to figure out things.  He had the ball taken from him and his shot blocked several times while driving the lane.  The good news is that he was able to penetrate......as well as knock down some 3's.  He just needs to figure out that the athleticism he will face will not allow him to take the same shots that he is used to taking.  As far as the rest of the guys they are all just about where we you are hearing.

Razorhogger

One other thing.  I spoke with one of the coaches and mentioned I was impressed with Durhams ability to run the offense.  He told me that they really liked him and he is just really crafty on offense.....but like most juco kids he needs a lot of work defensively.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razorhogger on July 30, 2014, 08:56:17 amBeard looked like a freshman trying to figure out things.  He had the ball taken from him and his shot blocked several times while driving the lane.  The good news is that he was able to penetrate......as well as knock down some 3's.  He just needs to figure out that the athleticism he will face will not allow him to take the same shots that he is used to taking.

Beard will need to adjust to being a 6'0" guard in an SEC that is full of good athletes. He isn't always going to be able to take it all the way to the rim, especially with guys like Moses, Jacorey, and Portis providing off-side help.

If he will learn to pull up and use a short jumper or floater, he will find life a lot easier.

Ironhawg

I really, really hope Jacorey Williams and Alandise Harris can come on strong this season, especially Jacorey. 

Big Nasty 34

If, and it's a big if, Williams has improved and is ready to really contribute things will be good. If Kingsley doesn't start alongside Portis, it would be nice to see a 6-8 Williams start there. Bringing Harris and bell off the bench would bring nice scoring!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 30, 2014, 09:58:27 am
If, and it's a big if, Williams has improved and is ready to really contribute things will be good. If Kingsley doesn't start alongside Portis, it would be nice to see a 6-8 Williams start there. Bringing Harris and bell off the bench would bring nice scoring!

All Jacorey needs to do is let the game come to him. Stop trying to force it. Just slow things down mentally and make good decisions. He could be a force out there with his athleticism and a decent jump shot.

GuvHog

Quote from: Slimac4 on July 29, 2014, 07:48:06 pm

That could have been because the Hogs starting Big Man was on the bench in street clothes, Ya think???
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Iceman

I thought Harris had a pretty strong finish to the season. From about the @Mizzou game to the end of the year, I thought he started settling less for the jump shot and really started attacking the basket strong off the dribble, which is his strength.

In those last 11 games, he averaged: 9 ppg, 3 rebs, 47% fg, 80% ft. The one thing I want to start seeing from him is more intensity and focus on rebounding. I'd like to see him average between 5-6 rebounds this year.

HF#1

I'm praying Harris has eliminated that awful one step fade away from his game.  Other than that, I think this is group will go pretty far.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

TheRazorback500

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 30, 2014, 09:18:52 am
Beard will need to adjust to being a 6'0" guard in an SEC that is full of good athletes. He isn't always going to be able to take it all the way to the rim, especially with guys like Moses, Jacorey, and Portis providing off-side help.

If he will learn to pull up and use a short jumper or floater, he will find life a lot easier.
Quote from: Razorhogger on July 30, 2014, 08:58:57 am
One other thing.  I spoke with one of the coaches and mentioned I was impressed with Durhams ability to run the offense.  He told me that they really liked him and he is just really crafty on offense.....but like most juco kids he needs a lot of work defensively.

This makes me wonder if a redshirt is possible for Beard..
Do you wanna get Rocked?

-Blu

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on July 30, 2014, 08:22:15 pm

It's doubtful, we're still going to need him a lot.  Even if Durham starts, Bell and Beard will be our primary guards off the bench.  Beard should still see anywhere from 10-15 MPG even if he isn't the starter.

poloprince

This will not happen.
$PoLoPrInCe$

intelligence

Quote from: HF#1 on July 30, 2014, 08:20:23 pm
I'm praying Harris has eliminated that awful one step fade away from his game.  Other than that, I think this is group will go pretty far.
I don't get your point. That shot has proven very effective for Harris. He uses the right foot to square his body and the left foot to create seperation/lift. I think this shot is key to creating separation for Harris, because making one forces the defender to play him a little tighter, possibly creating gaps in the defense for Harris and teammates to exploit. Without the jump shot Harris becomes 1 dimensional

nwahogfan1

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on July 29, 2014, 09:59:18 pm
I am sorry but Madden can hardly ever take his man to the hole off the dribble.  That is the reason he is being put at the 2 and a 1 is being brought in to run the team.  Madden wanted to be the 1.  I guess Mike wanted Madden to be the 1 but after 2 years of trying that little experiment Mike brought in 2 PGs to run this team so Madden can do what he does best and that is shoot the ball.   I think we will love this a lot better.

HF#1

Quote from: intelligence on July 30, 2014, 09:09:58 pm

I don't get your point. That shot has proven very effective for Harris. He uses the right foot to square his body and the left foot to create seperation/lift. I think this shot is key to creating separation for Harris, because making one forces the defender to play him a little tighter, possibly creating gaps in the defense for Harris and teammates to exploit. Without the jump shot Harris becomes 1 dimensional

More often than not, it's a bad low percentage shot.  I'm not sure at what percentage he made them but I bet it wasn't very good.

He is much better around the basket.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The_Iceman

Hawg Red

Non-medical redshirting in basketball is extremely rare. I know Kelly Olynyk did it and then had a break-out year, but it's almost unheard of if there is no injury.

Hogimus Prime

Hatleyville454

A couple of things that I picked up on in the presser that hasn't really been touched on:

- Alandise Harris, per Mike, has the confidence he needs going into his senior campaign. He mentioned Harris, Bobby, and Ky as the guys that have the confidence he likes to see. Was kind of surprised he didn't put Qualls in that group though. He also mentioned Harris as being the second leading scorer coming back. I got the feeling that he isn't really worried about Harris and he is expecting him to be a leader on this team this year...which is good.

- Bobby mentioned that he is 6'11" without shoes on, around 7'1" with shoes. About 2 inches taller than last year. Mike gave the new strength coach props on working with Bobby during the offseason.

- Mike noted that Trey Thompson has a great motor and a niche for rebounding. GREAT to hear on the motor, since that was basically the biggest question mark for him coming in. And really, all we need is some D and rebounding from him this year, so very promising from that aspect.

- Mike said that Keaton Miles will play a role very similar to what Coty Clarke gave us last year, but also noted Miles ability to block shots.

- Even though Mike didn't put Qualls in the "confidence" group, he did note that he has been a gym rat and working on being more consistent this year.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 31, 2014, 10:22:34 am
Trey looks in great shape!

Yep, looks like he's lost some weight.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.  If he can come in and beat out a couple of guys for some minutes and show he can really play, we're going to be a much better basketball team.  That's going to open up a lot more opportunities for us, including Portis/Kingsley being able to be on the floor together a lot, and being able to go with big lineups on the floor for an extended time.  It's going to be tough for him though he's got a lot of talent ahead of him in the rotation.

The Hogfather

Quote from: -Blu on July 31, 2014, 11:06:38 am
That's going to open up a lot more opportunities for us, including Portis/Kingsley being able to be on the floor together a lot, and being able to go with big lineups on the floor for an extended time.

I'm really hoping for this to be the case!

Hawg Red

It would be somewhat of a game-changer if Trey Thompson shows a great motor and the ability to contribute as a freshman. I never got a good vibe from him when I watched him play, so if he's kicking butt, that is huge. Especially if we lose Portis after this season.

thebignasty

Quote from: intelligence on July 30, 2014, 09:09:58 pm

I haven't looked at any stats, but the stepback fade away felt like an awfully low percentage look last year.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 31, 2014, 11:27:52 am
It would be somewhat of a game-changer if Trey Thompson shows a great motor and the ability to contribute as a freshman. I never got a good vibe from him when I watched him play, so if he's kicking butt, that is huge. Especially if we lose Portis after this season.

I think it was just that he felt annoyed having to play against little kids where it didn't really matter - he had arkansas lined up already.  I think it was always going to be elevated competition that woke him up.

His offensive game though, I hope it works in college, he gets those easy points probably better than anyone on our team.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Hatleyville454 on July 31, 2014, 10:49:48 am
A couple of things that I picked up on in the presser that hasn't really been touched on:

- Alandise Harris, per Mike, has the confidence he needs going into his senior campaign. He mentioned Harris, Bobby, and Ky as the guys that have the confidence he likes to see. Was kind of surprised he didn't put Qualls in that group though. He also mentioned Harris as being the second leading scorer coming back. I got the feeling that he isn't really worried about Harris and he is expecting him to be a leader on this team this year...which is good.

- Bobby mentioned that he is 6'11" without shoes on, around 7'1" with shoes. About 2 inches taller than last year. Mike gave the new strength coach props on working with Bobby during the offseason.

- Mike noted that Trey Thompson has a great motor and a niche for rebounding. GREAT to hear on the motor, since that was basically the biggest question mark for him coming in. And really, all we need is some D and rebounding from him this year, so very promising from that aspect.

- Mike said that Keaton Miles will play a role very similar to what Coty Clarke gave us last year, but also noted Miles ability to block shots.

- Even though Mike didn't put Qualls in the "confidence" group, he did note that he has been a gym rat and working on being more consistent this year.

Its possible but I don't see Portis being 6'11" barefoot and 7'1" in shoes