Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Volunteer Assistant Position Open - Flanders going to Abilene Christian

Started by ucahogfan, July 28, 2014, 11:06:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   30m   

Abilene Christian added @RazorbackBSB volunteer Brad Flanders to its staff as pitching coach/asst recruiting coordinator. #ACU

http://www.acusports.com/news/2014/7/28/BB_0728145238.aspx

Abilene Christian is moving up to D-1 and Flanders has experience as a pitching coach and will also coach catchers.  Congrats to Coach Flanders!  Always like seeing our volunteer assistants moving into paid assistant jobs at the D-1 level.

Will be interesting to see who we target to replace him.  The two volunteer assistants before him I believe were current UALR HC Chris Curry and Wichita State assistant Brian Walker.

Dr. Starcs

TomasPistola

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 28, 2014, 11:08:11 pm
Stupid Flanders.

(Relax, it's just a bad Simpsons reference)

He just couldn't stick around after Maude died.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

bulldog04

dotnet

I wonder if Tim Carver would be an option?  He was hanging around last year...

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on July 29, 2014, 09:03:59 am
I wonder if Tim Carver would be an option?  He was hanging around last year...
Probably not.  DVH uses the volunteer assistant position to coach catchers and I don't know if Carver could do that.

ucahogfan

Razorback Baseball @RazorbackBSB     ·   15m   

Congrats to volunteer assist coach Brad Flanders (@bfla_retro12) on becoming the pitching coach at Abilene Christian!

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 29, 2014, 09:38:47 am
Probably not.  DVH uses the volunteer assistant position to coach catchers and I don't know if Carver could do that.

Carver caught for Arkansas didn't he?

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on July 29, 2014, 12:50:51 pm
Carver caught for Arkansas didn't he?
He played SS during his career at Arkansas.  McCann was the C while Carver was at SS.

rolyat_2008

Jake Wise? was a good defensive catcher.. didn't get drafted did he

ucahogfan

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on July 29, 2014, 01:16:16 pm
Jake Wise? was a good defensive catcher.. didn't get drafted did he
Don't think he has his college degree yet.  Maybe he could be the student assistant this year and work with catchers.  I know Carver was the student assistant last year and I think he graduated in May with his degree so he could move into another position.

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 29, 2014, 01:15:03 pm
He played SS during his career at Arkansas.  McCann was the C while Carver was at SS.

I'm pretty sure that Carver caught..

Maddhog

"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

dotnet

yraciv

dotnet

No... am I the only one who really follows the baseball team around here.  Tim Carver caught for Arkansas.

You guys dissapoint me

Maddhog

Oh sure and McCann was our shortstop.   What was I thinking!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: dotnet on July 29, 2014, 08:01:36 pm
No... am I the only one who really follows the baseball team around here.  Tim Carver caught for Arkansas.

You guys dissapoint me
Tim Carver caught for the Cardinals.  :D

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Maddhog

PorkRyan

What about Sammy Hassen?  He was a GA a few years ago and he just resigned from UAFS as their hitting coach/recruiting coordinator after Harpenau was let go.  The volunteer coach at Arkansas usually makes about 60k a year giving private lessons.   

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkRyan on July 29, 2014, 10:34:31 pm
What about Sammy Hassen?  He was a GA a few years ago and he just resigned from UAFS as their hitting coach/recruiting coordinator after Harpenau was let go.  The volunteer coach at Arkansas usually makes about 60k a year giving private lessons.   

Heck I could volunteer for an extra 60k!  Haha

ucahogfan

Quote from: PorkRyan on July 29, 2014, 10:34:31 pm
After reading up on him, he sounds like a definite possibility.  He served as volunteer assistant at Northwestern State in 2013 while Chris Curry was the pitching coach.  And it might be more now that we have the indoor facility.

Big Nasty 34

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on July 30, 2014, 06:29:12 am
I cannot believe y'all don't remember this.

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2011-2012/sc48_ark.html

this is probably a better link:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=2415&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=205424360
Weird to see that we had 4 different players listed as C in that game.  Also weird to see the winning pitcher allowed 7 ERs in 3.2 IP.  Still, an inning or two behind the plate in a 4 year career doesn't mean he knows the position enough to coach it at the level we expect it.  It would be like saying Josh Alberius should be a pitching coach because he threw an inning in SEC play this year.

And I thought I remembered Carver spending a little time behind the plate, but he spent 99.9% of his time at SS.

dotnet

I don't know that you have to play a position to coach it... but that is neither here nor there

I'm just really dissapointed that Suggs only caught in that game.  I think it would have been awesome for him to have caught for an inning and then gone in to pitch.  Its the biggest let down.

I think that is also the series that Arkansas jumped out to a huge lead on Roth, but Stanek kept pitching when he was hurting a little (blisters or something) and USCe came back to win. 

ucahogfan

Here is another name to consider:

Ryan Cisterna

Cisterna is currently an assistant coach at Grand Canyon University where he has been for the last 3 years.  I assume he is the volunteer assistant because he is the 3rd named assistant on the coaching staff page.

futurehogdad

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 30, 2014, 11:13:22 am
Weird to see that we had 4 different players listed as C in that game.  Also weird to see the winning pitcher allowed 7 ERs in 3.2 IP.  Still, an inning or two behind the plate in a 4 year career doesn't mean he knows the position enough to coach it at the level we expect it.  It would be like saying Josh Alberius should be a pitching coach because he threw an inning in SEC play this year.

And I thought I remembered Carver spending a little time behind the plate, but he spent 99.9% of his time at SS.

Norm DeBriyn coached catchers late in his career and he played outfield and is Left Handed.

Birminghog

Quote from: yraciv on July 29, 2014, 07:57:16 pm
SMH! Tim McCarver was a catcher.

Wow! Tim McCarver is going to be a volunteer coach for us & coach catchers?  What a coup!  8)