Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do You Remember When War Memorial Stadium Looked Like This?

Started by moses_007, July 28, 2014, 09:31:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

I remember it quite well.  In the 1960s I attended an Arkansas-Ole Miss game in Little Rock, and it rained so hard that the field was a sloopy, muddy mess.  We perched underneath the south end zone bleachers to get some protection from the driving rain.

I saw several games in the stadium before they enclosed the two end zones. 

LRRandy

Great picture. That stadium doesn't get the respect it deserves in this forum.
This is fun, isn't it.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Yep. I drove by the stadium on my way home from GA last year.

Hachachachaaaaaaaa!
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: moses_007 on July 28, 2014, 09:31:39 pm
  We perched underneath the south end zone bleachers to get some protection from the driving rain.

Most likely still had a better atmosphere than anything RRS has ever produced.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

mckinneyhog5

Some of the best games I've seen in person were at WMS.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Torqued pork

That must be from the days when tailgating wasn't considered as important as the game itself and obnoxious music wasn't piped in at a deafening volume to keep the masses entertained.

1highhog

Didn't get to attend the games before it was enclosed.  Despite the put down of many on this diet, War Memorial has turned into a very nice Stadium, sure, it doesn't hold near enough for Razorback games, but the best games of all time have been held there.  It deserves more respect than what it gets.  Should all games now be played at Fayetteville, probably.  But I've never heard not one game yet get as loud as many I've heard in War Memorial, no, not even Alabama when we came close to upsetting them during CBP's reign.

Hogeration

Quote from: 1highhog on July 29, 2014, 04:32:23 am
Didn't get to attend the games before it was enclosed.  Despite the put down of many on this diet, War Memorial has turned into a very nice Stadium, sure, it doesn't hold near enough for Razorback games, but the best games of all time have been held there.  It deserves more respect than what it gets.  Should all games now be played at Fayetteville, probably.  But I've never heard not one game yet get as loud as many I've heard in War Memorial, no, not even Alabama when we came close to upsetting them during CBP's reign.

Nice post.  But the Bama game at RRS was pretty loud.  Had to be up there in top 5 loudest. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Hogeration on July 29, 2014, 05:18:36 am
Nice post.  But the Bama game at RRS was pretty loud.  Had to be up there in top 5 loudest. 
Texas 04, Tennessee 99 and 06. Auburn/Carolina 2011

bphi11ips

Quote from: Torqued pork on July 29, 2014, 04:01:25 am
That must be from the days when tailgating wasn't considered as important as the game itself and obnoxious music wasn't piped in at a deafening volume to keep the masses entertained.

You don't have to go that far back.  Little Rock restaurants were packed on game days before and after games through the 80's.  The atmosphere now outside the stadium though is unique. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 1highhog on July 29, 2014, 04:32:23 am

I can't believe people want to do the GSD now. I can't believe I'm responding to it but I must. A lot of old stadiums have one thing going for them......................simple nostalgia. A longing for the old days and emotions have a way of making one's feelings cloudy. I've been going to games since the 60's. If you haven't heard it as loud at RS then you didn't attend some of the games I did. It can be loud in BOTH equally. I've loved a lot of games in both. Sometimes people remember only what they WANT to remember. It's the week of practice starting let's discuss the upcoming season.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 29, 2014, 07:00:40 am
You don't have to go that far back.  Little Rock restaurants were packed on game days before and after games through the 80's.  The atmosphere now outside the stadium though is unique. 

The only thing making it unique is being on a golf course. Other than that it is tailgating just like at a lot of other places I've been.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 29, 2014, 07:07:26 am
The only thing making it unique is being on a golf course. Other than that it is tailgating just like at a lot of other places I've been.

I disagree.  People tailgate everywhere, but in Little Rock it is a massive community event.  A phenomenon in and of itself.  The golf course helps.

Pulled(PP)pork

Here's nostalgia for you.....remember when gas used to be under $1/gallon.....

LET.IT.GO.

PP

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 29, 2014, 07:28:09 am
I disagree.  People tailgate everywhere, but in Little Rock it is a massive community event.  A phenomenon in and of itself.  The golf course helps.

Tailgating at a lot of college venues is a massive community event. It's the golf course setting that makes it unique imo.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 29, 2014, 07:32:48 am

LET.IT.GO.

PP

I remember when it was 29 cents a gallon at the Esso on Cantrell in Little Rock.  My  dad would pull up to the pump and say "Give me a dollar's worth".  Our Beetle would run for a week on that.

What does that have to do with tailgating or a classic photo of WMS?

Pulled(PP)pork

just replying to the "nostalgia" comment, that is all

PP

razorbacker3

Quote from: LRRandy on July 28, 2014, 09:34:51 pm
You got that right. I really get steamed when idiots disrespect the stadium. Built to honor Arkansas's war veterans, many on here think it's cool to bash her in their argument to move all games to Fayetteville. Both arguments have merit and since college football is all about money to many, I think they will keep one game in LR a few more years after the current contract expires. Then all the WM haters will be happy as they move them all in around 2020. I hate to see her go.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: razorbacker3 on July 29, 2014, 07:39:27 am
Built to honor Arkansas's war veterans

I don't think ANYONE on here bashes the place because of who it honors.

Posters bash the place for what it has become....

bp

Redhogs

Quote from: Big Papa Satan on July 29, 2014, 12:44:19 am
Most likely still had a better atmosphere than anything RRS has ever produced.
Dumbest post ever.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hoglady

Quote from: LRRandy on July 28, 2014, 09:34:51 pm

That's because in today's world folks are more interested in the pretty bells and whistles and their personal comfort.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on July 29, 2014, 08:50:03 am
That's because in today's world folks are more interested in the pretty bells and whistles and their personal comfort.

Wrong. Where the games are played or should be isn't about "creature comfort". Bleacher seats in a LOT of stadiums are no more comfortable than in WMS including some in RRS (except there is a little more shoulder and leg room).

Hawgndaaz

I remember that game.. students were using flint and tinder to light couches on fire, and many outhouses were pushed over as well.

1highhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 29, 2014, 07:05:02 am
I can't believe people want to do the GSD now. I can't believe I'm responding to it but I must. A lot of old stadiums have one thing going for them......................simple nostalgia. A longing for the old days and emotions have a way of making one's feelings cloudy. I've been going to games since the 60's. If you haven't heard it as loud at RS then you didn't attend some of the games I did. It can be loud in BOTH equally. I've loved a lot of games in both. Sometimes people remember only what they WANT to remember. It's the week of practice starting let's discuss the upcoming season.

I'm certainly not wanting to start the GSD, I've always hated that dumb argument.  Like I said, it's time to move games to RRS, not for the atmosphere, but because it's on Campus, that's just the facts.  I've been to all the games in Fayetteville that Hollywood_HOGan45 listed, none of them were as loud as some of the games I've been to in WMS, although the Bama game was loud.  You actually have to go back to the 80's for me when I think of loud games in WMS, and a couple in the 70's come to mind.  The crowd is not as loud these days there as it used to be.  Could be though because the quality of opponent is not as it once was when we were playing the likes of Texas(most hated school), Houston(Grovey vs. Ware).  Great games.

hoglady

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 29, 2014, 09:07:32 am
Wrong. Where the games are played or should be isn't about "creature comfort". Bleacher seats in a LOT of stadiums are no more comfortable than in WMS including some in RRS (except there is a little more shoulder and leg room).

I'm not talking about the folks who think all the games should be at Fayetteville, I'm talking about the ones who incessantly refer to WMS as a dump. There are legitimate reasons for thinking all games should be at the on campus stadium - and those can be voiced without disrespecting a venue that has served the Razorback program well for over half a century.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

RazorRick77

My dad was at the Ole Miss game, he's got some great stories about that place from back in the day.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 29, 2014, 07:05:02 am

Yeah...we almost got thru the summer with out the GSD rearing it's ugly head.

hoglady

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 29, 2014, 09:23:08 am

With only one game in Little Rock it really shouldn't be an issue this year.
Bigger fish to fry when you're on a 12 game and counting SEC losing streak.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: 1highhog on July 29, 2014, 09:17:30 am
I'm certainly not wanting to start the GSD, I've always hated that dumb argument.  Like I said, it's time to move games to RRS, not for the atmosphere, but because it's on Campus, that's just the facts.  I've been to all the games in Fayetteville that Hollywood_HOGan45 listed, none of them were as loud as some of the games I've been to in WMS, although the Bama game was loud.  You actually have to go back to the 80's for me when I think of loud games in WMS, and a couple in the 70's come to mind.  The crowd is not as loud these days there as it used to be.  Could be though because the quality of opponent is not as it once was when we were playing the likes of Texas(most hated school), Houston(Grovey vs. Ware).  Great games.

My dad attended the first game ever played at WMS in 1948, took me to my first game in 1967 and I took my son to his first Hog game there in 1997 (Manning and TN).  The 1979 Texas game was loud as was the '89 Houston game you mention.  Obviously the Miracle on Markham created a noise spike but the most constant crowd noise may have been the 1998 game vs Kentucky/Tim Couch.

chitwnhog

Quote from: hoglady on July 29, 2014, 09:27:36 am
With only one game in Little Rock it really shouldn't be an issue this year.
Bigger fish to fry when you're on a 12 game and counting SEC losing streak.

I agree completely and I agree with your earlier post re: folks bashing WMS.

GuvHog

Quote from: 1highhog on July 29, 2014, 09:17:30 am

As much as I support moving the games to Fayetteville, I agree that WMS is just louder. That's the reason why Texas refuses to ever play the Hogs there again and LSU badly wanted that game moved to Fayetteville. Even Lou Holtz stated that it was the loudest stadium he'd ever coached football in. It's bowl shape just holds the sound in. Once they get the north end zone enclosed at DWRRS the noise level there will be INCREDIBLE.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 29, 2014, 09:23:08 am

Until this thread it seems......................

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 29, 2014, 09:40:16 am
Until this thread it seems......................

IMHO WMS is a good discussion piece for nostalgia but there really is no debate.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on July 29, 2014, 09:18:38 am
I'm not talking about the folks who think all the games should be at Fayetteville, I'm talking about the ones who incessantly refer to WMS as a dump. There are legitimate reasons for thinking all games should be at the on campus stadium - and those can be voiced without disrespecting a venue that has served the Razorback program well for over half a century.

O.K. I can agree with that. I've been quilty of calling it that myself in the past and I'll apologize for doing so. It isn't a dump but you have too admit it isn't up to most stadiums average standards today.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 09:42:23 am
IMHO WMS is a good discussion piece for nostalgia but there really is no debate.

When people use nostalgia to debate then that's where the debate goes off course.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 09:42:23 am

exactly... 10 years from now they'll be lucky to have a game in WMS every other year.  All pertinent decisions have already been made.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on July 29, 2014, 09:07:35 am
I remember that game.. students were using flint and tinder to light couches on fire, and many outhouses were pushed over as well.

Yeah, Pa was mad when someone stole our team and we had to take the train back home.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 09:35:18 am
As much as I support moving the games to Fayetteville, I agree that WMS is just louder. That's the reason why Texas refuses to ever play the Hogs there again and LSU badly wanted that game moved to Fayetteville. Even Lou Holtz stated that it was the loudest stadium he'd ever coached football in. It's bowl shape just holds the sound in. Once they get the north end zone enclosed at DWRRS the noise level there will be INCREDIBLE.

Lou forgot that Notre Dame's stadium is also bowled in........................................That's his favorite place on earth.

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on July 29, 2014, 09:18:38 am

Served it's time well, but when you can't keep up with the times, it's time to move on.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 29, 2014, 09:43:25 am
O.K. I can agree with that. I've been quilty of calling it that myself in the past and I'll apologize for doing so. It isn't a dump but you have too admit it isn't up to most stadiums average standards today.
WMS will always be interwoven into the fabric of Razorback history.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2014, 09:49:42 am
WMS will always be interwoven into the fabric of Razorback history.

True. But as others have said and I agree with it is time to move on. If they stop playing there it will actually give some a reason to be like a lot of people as they grow older and be "nostalgic for the good old days". My grandma used to say "they can have those good old days. I'll take electricity, my air conditioner, dishwasher, electric refrigerator, freezer, running water, washer/dryer, TV and car anyday over those good old days". Yet she still had fun sometimes I bet.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 09:35:18 am
NYJMSU

PP

GuvHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 29, 2014, 10:01:57 am
NYJMSU

PP

Both are true. The University of Texas was very public about it during Darrell Royal's AD tenure and I'm very well acquainted with some dyed in the wool LSU fans, they make no bones about it.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 10:07:11 am
Both are true. The University of Texas was very public about it during Darrell Royal's AD tenure and I'm very well acquainted with some dyed in the wool LSU fans, they make no bones about it.
so, this is true based on a fan's perspective and not the coach or university (LSU), and since Daryl Royal said this, it shouldn't be too difficult to produce some typed document stating so??

PP

BorderPatrol

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 10:07:11 am

So, basically, we have not played Texas since Darrell Royal's AD tenure? And this is because of WMS?

bp

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 29, 2014, 07:32:48 am

LET.IT.GO.

PP

I actually remember during "gas wars" in the late 60's and early 70's (when I was in jr high) when it was .20 a gallon in Southwest Missouri....  Old folks would drive 5 extra miles to get it a penny cheaper than the closest station to them..... 

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: BorderPatrol on July 29, 2014, 10:26:30 am
So, basically, we have not played Texas since Darrell Royal's AD tenure? And this is because of WMS?

bp
BOOK IT!

GUV says so

PP

bphi11ips

The GSD is silly.  Here is the truth.  Some of us lived through it.

The Arkansas Razorbacks became the darling of the entire state for two reasons - the success of the 60's, 70's and 80's and 3 or 4 games in Little Rock for over 40 years.  Games in Little Rock provided a sense of ownership in the population center of the state.  This sense of ownership lasted well into Darren McFadden's development.  D-Mac was 15 in 2002 - the last year the Razorbacks played three games in Little Rock.

I have to think citizens in Little Rock are generally aware of the animosity directed now at WMS and Little Rock games by citizens in Fayetteville and elsewhere.  My guess is KJ Hill doesn't share the sense of Razorbacks ownership DMac grew up with.  At one time, it was shocking when a top player from Arkansas went out of state. The recent trend has been for players in Central Arkansas to show interest but little passion for the Hogs. 

If Central Arkansas loses its sense of ownership of the Razorbacks, the program will have lost its power base with in-state athletes.  That will not be a good thing.

moses_007

I remember the days when our home games were alternated between Little Rock and Fayetteville.  For instance, the Texas game would be in Fayetteville, the next year in Austin, and the next year in Little Rock.  In recent years all Little Rock has gotten is some non conference meaningless games or Mississippi State.  Georgia coming here this year is our first major game in LR in years.