Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Degree of difficulty in recruiting to Fayetteville

Started by Country Stylz, July 28, 2014, 03:33:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redeye

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on August 07, 2014, 05:20:25 pm
We have Little Rock & Pine  Bluff? To rebut this theory, Ole Miss does not have a Major Area Of Black Culture no where around. But their Coaching Staff is just showing everyone that it can be done with the right attitude. That is BS is you believe NWA is not an attractive place for recruits.

Black residents:

Mississippi - 37%
Arkansas - 15.4%

Btw, we should pass Mississippi in population this year, so it would  be safe to say that we have the same number of people.

RNHog

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on August 07, 2014, 05:20:25 pm
We have Little Rock & Pine  Bluff? To rebut this theory, Ole Miss does not have a Major Area Of Black Culture no where around. But their Coaching Staff is just showing everyone that it can be done with the right attitude. That is BS is you believe NWA is not an attractive place for recruits.

What makes it attractive?

And Mississippi has McComb...close Proximity to New Orleans, Jackson, and Memphis, Hattiesburg, Vicksburg, Gulfport, Biloxi, Tupelo, Greenville, and Olive Branch areas. Decent population bases to pick from with recruits. Ole Miss and Mississippi state have plenty of  black culture around.

Boarcephus

Quote from: redeye on August 07, 2014, 06:25:16 pm
Black residents:

Mississippi - 37%
Arkansas - 15.4%

Btw, we should pass Mississippi in population this year, so it would  be safe to say that we have the same number of people.

Let's narrow this down a bit more....
Tuscaloosa-43% black
Starkville-30%
Baton Rouge-50%
Auburn-16%
Oxford-21%
Fayetteville-6%
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 07, 2014, 06:58:59 pm
Tuscaloosa-43% black
Starkville-30%
Baton Rouge-50%
Auburn-16%
Oxford-21%
Fayetteville-6%

I wonder what you would learn if you looked at standard of living.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 07, 2014, 07:12:37 pm
I wonder what you would learn if you looked at standard of living.

I'd say as a pampered SEC athlete on scholarship the standard of living is pretty darn good in any of those areas.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 07, 2014, 07:18:17 pm
I'd say as a pampered SEC athlete on scholarship the standard of living is pretty darn good in any of those areas.

They sure go out and rob a bunch in some of those towns, maybe not high enough, or too high?

Boarcephus

Quote from: ricepig on August 07, 2014, 07:29:06 pm
They sure go out and rob a bunch in some of those towns, maybe not high enough, or too high?

They're just in  need a little walking around $$$ in their pockets.  ;)

RNHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 07, 2014, 07:29:06 pm

Crime happens everywhere. Remember the duke lacrosse team?

ricepig

Quote from: Timber on August 07, 2014, 08:26:06 pm

Weren't they exonerated?

alwaysnextyear

JIHawg

Seems like Timber and a few others are keeping this thread, which is negative about recruiting, at the top of the recruiting board for no reason, saying the same things over and over.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Timber on August 07, 2014, 06:27:32 pm

And Mississippi has McComb...close Proximity to New Orleans, Jackson, and Memphis, Hattiesburg, Vicksburg, Gulfport, Biloxi, Tupelo, Greenville, and Olive Branch areas. Decent population bases to pick from with recruits. Ole Miss and Mississippi state have plenty of  black culture around.

McComb with a population of 12,744 is what you call a "decent population base"?  You need a lesson in demographics or cease posting that which you have no knowledge of.    Regardless, all of these cities have a declining population (even Memphis although it actually grew in land area)... None are over 100,000 people except Memphis, Jackson, & New Orleans.   

Further.....the entire state of Mississippi has the lowest median household income and proudly wears the title of "poorest state in the union". (Arkansas, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisiana, & South Carolina are right behind at the bottom of the rankings..) Simply put, you should consider stopping with the exaggeration of the benefits you supposedly think Mississippi & other states have over Arkansas...  Data paints a much different picture....

(Oh, and all of you that wonder where Georgia, Florida, & Texas rank?  Texas is the top median household income state in the SEC and only ranks at #25 in the nation, Georgia at 33, and Florida comes in at 37.....and FYI... Texas is 2nd most populous state in the US, and by astronomical light years, is the largest populated state in the SEC...

If I had limited resources (most SEC states do..)and was to point my recruiting wagon someplace I'd point it to Texas as it's state population easily matches half the sum of all of the SEC states combined... If you were to remove the Florida population from the sum, Texas population would just about equal the sum of all other SEC states combined) and it's right next door..... Florida, although the other heavily populated state in SEC, is good distance away........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

intelligence

Quote from: Timber on August 07, 2014, 06:46:36 am
Not liking Fayetteville and NWA equals misery. More hogville education I see.
I wasn't talking about you but its ironic you assumed so.  I'm here to read and discuss the hogs in at least a somewhat intelligent manner, not get in heavy weight trolling battles to see who has the biggest eManhood.

Pork Twain

Quote from: ricepig on August 07, 2014, 01:37:43 pm
Which has nothing to do with the amount of D-I talent the state's produce. The location has something to do with ability to draw this talent, that's understood.
Has everything to do with it.  Not only does arkansas have a very low number of SEC caliber players within its borders, but it does not have a huge draw for those from the outside.  People can deny it, but it does not change the reality of it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Redhogs

Quote from: Timber on August 07, 2014, 08:26:06 pm
Yea I remember... accused by a completely discredited wack job and the whole team was completely cleared.  That's crime?? A crime by the accuser maybe.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: intelligence on August 08, 2014, 03:33:54 am
I wasn't talking about you but its ironic you assumed so.  I'm here to read and discuss the hogs in at least a somewhat intelligent manner, not get in heavy weight trolling battles to see who has the biggest eManhood.

Obviously then your discussing it with then wrong poster then, haha.  We all get to make that decision.

Again location can be overcome with great coaches and great recruiting.  Start winning, be consistent, and quit firing coaches ever few years. 

Rather be sking around a bunch of floating trailer parks on Beaver Lake than getting eaten by sharks or stung by numerous things in the Ocean!

RNHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 08, 2014, 09:13:02 am
Obviously then your discussing it with then wrong poster then, haha.  We all get to make that decision.

Again location can be overcome with great coaches and great recruiting.  Start winning, be consistent, and quit firing coaches ever few years. 

Rather be sking around a bunch of floating trailer parks on Beaver Lake than getting eaten by sharks or stung by numerous things in the Ocean!

Eaten by sharks? I am alive to tell about it from last week.

Brain eating amoeba in lakes is scarier than a shark.

HamShank

...than most other SEC teams, Tim Horton - our former recruiting co-ordinator - is ranked the #4 recruiter in the entire country. He has no Arkansas recruits listed; all Georgia and Alabama recruits.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeCoachRankings

Bubba's Bruisers

These kind of rankings are stupid.  Your recruiting ability is based on the program you're recruiting to, and Pittman isn't even in the top 50.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Uncommon

Also helps that his team won the SEC Championship last year and played in the BCS National Championship Game.

I think all Hog fans agree that it is harder to recruit to Arkansas because of location (away from major talent pools) and recent lack of success.  But that shouldn't be an excuse for why we'll always have lower recruiting rankings.  For example, look at what Kentucky is doing.  A basketball school that is recruiting pretty well by hitting the states of Ohio and Florida hard.  I don't see why we can't do that with the states of Texas and Florida.  Also, Vanderbilt was doing a very good job under James Franklin.  They were an academic school with some restrictions as far as what type of player they could recruit and Vanderbilt hadn't had much success as a program before he came there.

I think we'll see a major jump in recruiting once we can begin to set a foothold in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.  That's why I believe this year's matchup with Texas A&M in Arlington is so crucial to our growth as a program.  Because if we win, I think we'll have a lot more success in getting some players out of that area and begin to somewhat smoke the Aggies out of there.  If we don't win, Texas A&M will continue getting all the premier talent in the DFW and it will become a struggle to just get in the top 4 of the SEC West year in and year out.

tophawg19

recruiting is all about relationships . Money makes great recruiters . when you pay them , they will come . we will never be great because we are looking for a different kind of player . kids who fit us and will be here long term.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Pork Twain

Quote from: Timber on August 08, 2014, 10:14:11 am

Sure it is.  It is all the rage for upcoming scary movies.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

These pop-up threads are dumb.  This thread is bringing nothing new to the table than the one right above it.

FATHAWG08

It's also vey important to have an abundance of SEC talent in your backyard.
I love off season Football!!

alwaysnextyear

Since you hate Fayetteville so much, why don't you root for another team? I don't think any of us would be upset.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 08, 2014, 10:51:17 am
These kind of rankings are stupid.  Your recruiting ability is based on the program you're recruiting to, and Pittman isn't even in the top 50.

this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alwaysnextyear

OP is not good at critical thinking. More than likely, all of those Auburn commits he's responsible for were going there no matter what. I like Tim. Very nice guy. But just an average recruiter and football coach. Lucky for him he's well connected.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Timber on August 07, 2014, 06:27:32 pm

well if you ever been to Oxford there is less black culture there than anywhere in the SEC. Most of these kids don't have the means to head to Memphis. Batesviile, Ms. has one of the best High School in the South, that is an advantage that Arkansas doesn't have

DLUXHOG

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on August 08, 2014, 12:23:16 pm
Since you hate Fayetteville so much, why don't you root for another team? I don't think any of us would be upset.

I don't think Timber hates Fayetteville (since it is very liberal), rather I think his issue is with the fact that the worlds largest company is headquartered ~30 miles North....   Puny, once little, Bentonville..... Who'd of thought this 30 years ago??

Rather than rejoice that this has occurred in Arkansas, he'd rather belittle all of NWA as unfit for this prestige....  The fact that NWA GDP is so huge, probably also irks him....  But i doubt that he hates Fayetteville per se..... Who could?

intelligence

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 08, 2014, 11:13:41 am
recruiting is all about relationships . Money makes great recruiters . when you pay them , they will come . we will never be great because we are looking for a different kind of player . kids who fit us and will be here long term.
I disagree with your assertion that well never be great. We will. You're apparently yet another hog fan consumed with an insatiable lust for instant gratification on the recruiting trail. I find it hilarious that you aren't satisfied. Recruiting has been night and day better with this staff compared to petrino and nutt and its a good sign how many made the depth chart last year as freshman. When you can recruit well to a dumpster fire, I would consider you a solid recruiter, because make no mistake the program was in shambles when bb and co arrived.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 07, 2014, 06:58:59 pm
Tuscaloosa-43% black
Starkville-30%
Baton Rouge-50%
Auburn-16%
Oxford-21%
Fayetteville-6%
the 21% of black people in Oxford,Ms. are more acclimated to white culture than 99% of the white folks in Pine Bluff,Ar. Just Sayin!

WorfHog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on August 08, 2014, 12:35:38 pm
I don't think Timber hates Fayetteville (since it is very liberal), rather I think his issue is with the fact that the worlds largest company is headquartered ~30 miles North....   Puny, once little, Bentonville..... Who'd of thought this 30 years ago??

Rather than rejoice that this has occurred in Arkansas, he'd rather belittle all of NWA as unfit for this prestige....  The fact that NWA GDP is so huge, probably also irks him....  But i doubt that he hates Fayetteville per se..... Who could?

He just isn't comfortable in Fayetteville, and projects that one all recruits.

redeye

Good point OP!

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 08, 2014, 10:51:17 am

You just backed his point.  If Pittman were at Auburn, he'd probably be ranked #1.

update: This post was from another thread, which a mod apparently thought should be merged with this one.  Just giving a little context, in case something makes no sense, or the wrong sense, here.

Cinco de Hogo

Ok so you avoided the sharks.  I 'm not so sure about the other!

;) ;D :P

Just kidding, fire away!

RNHog

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on August 08, 2014, 12:23:16 pm
Unaware it was the NWA Razorbacks.

Philip Seaton

Quote from: redeye on August 07, 2014, 04:40:03 pm
What about all those studies showing how most players stay close to home?  If you believe them, then doesn't it make sense that Georgia is going to have an easier time recruiting then Arkansas?

I don't all disagree with you, but I don't know how you can deny that location isn't huge.  I think the beach argument is overblown, but it's quite obvious that proximity to great players is very important to recruiting great.

I mentioned that back a few posts. Playing close to home is the biggest geography factor involved for Arkansas. Not a beach, an African-American population, not cold weather.

OPoraquê

DLUXHOG

Quote from: OPoraquê on August 21, 2014, 05:10:04 pm
"Fayetteville named No. 4 best college town in the nation, best in the SEC":  http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2014/08/21/fayetteville-named-no-4-best-college-town-in-the-nation-best-in-the-sec/  :razorback:

I agree with this, but shhhhhh, cause we want to keep it a secret from the rest of the world....

redeye

Quote from: Philip Seaton on August 08, 2014, 02:23:56 pm
I mentioned that back a few posts. Playing close to home is the biggest geography factor involved for Arkansas. Not a beach, an African-American population, not cold weather.

I missed that, but I completely agree with you.