Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most important game of 2014

Started by popcornhog, July 28, 2014, 12:49:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I'll admit it, this poll was inspired by . . . what's his name again?  

TTU
60 (36.4%)
NIU
1 (0.6%)
Nichols St
3 (1.8%)
UAB
1 (0.6%)
Bama
3 (1.8%)
AU
70 (42.4%)
LSU
2 (1.2%)
Ole Miss
1 (0.6%)
State
2 (1.2%)
Mizzou
5 (3%)
A&M
14 (8.5%)
UGA
3 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 165

popcornhog

I believe it's got to be TTU.  It's probably the biggest swing game in terms of getting us to 6-6 and a loss would really hurt, putting us at 1-2 going into NIU in all likelihood, which would not bode well.  It's also a good measuring stick for how much we've improved over last year.

In terms of importance, I'll rank the games as follows:

1) TTU
2) MSU -- Assuming we beat make it to 4-0 in OOC play, this is our best shot at an SEC victory imo.
3) A&M -- There can be a lot of debate about this one, but I peg A&M as the game that could most likely get us to 6-6 by going 4-0 in OOC
4) Mizzou -- I believe that this one is right there with A&M as one of the best opportunities for that all important sixth win, plus it's at the end of the year and regardless of how we get there, I believe that it's highly possible that we could be 5-6 going into this game.
5) LSU -- It's impossible to explain really but we're always right there with them regardless of the level of talent.  Thus, this is one of the best shots at getting one of the two conference wins that we really need.
6) NIU -- I ranked this one down a little farther because we really should win it, but especially if we lose to TTU this could be a daunting game.
7) AU -- First game of the year, important to have a good showing.  However, # 8 - 12 on my list seem to be fairly certain.
8) Ole Miss -- See 7.
9) UGA -- See 7.
10) Alabama -- See 7.
11) UAB -- See 7.
12) Nichols State -- See 7.
WPS

GlassofSwine

I hate to admit it but I think at this point Tech is the most important game. That is probably the difference in being 3-2 or 2-3 heading into the Alabama game. If Arkansas has a legit shot at a bowl game this game could be the turning point.
  2nd most important game - Texas A@M - Beat Tech and we could be 4-1 with a win, that would be huge for our confidence and with UAB coming up we would only need to find one more win to be bowl eligible.

Dwight_K_Shrute

The most important game is the next one.  #1-0, #neveryield #wps #beuncommon
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

GolfnHog

I'm inclined to agree on the TTU game. Hell, it's so important that I cancelled playing in a 2 man (one golfer 50 or older and the other younger) golf tournament that weekend to show up in Lubbock.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

popcornhog

Quote from: GolfnHog on July 28, 2014, 01:32:54 pm
I'm inclined to agree on the TTU game. Hell, it's so important that I cancelled playing in a 2 man (one golfer 50 or older and the other younger) golf tournament that weekend to show up in Lubbock.

Not sure if I'm going to be able to make it, but I'd love to though.

Definitely huge for our season.
WPS

GuvHog

I chose the Auburn game. If the Hogs at least take Auburn to the wire or win it will provide huge momentum for the remainder of the season. A lopsided loss could seriously damage the teams confidence for the rest of the season. After the last 2 seasons the players need a reason to believe.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

31to6

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Atlhogfan1

Hopefully AU will continue playing as they have over recent seasons in the first couple of weeks. 

I may change as we get closer to the season and I put more thought into it.

1.  TT

2. A&M  For a number of years pre Saban, our Bama game in September was a barometer for our season.  Since this series renewed, even before A&M joined the SEC, this game replaced the Bama game as far as telling us if we had a shot at a great season or not.  I know AU opens the season and is the SEC opener but A&M begins the real part of the conference schedule. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Spikes

Auburn then TT

Players are believing, so a W will have the team playing above their ability, a L could send a shock wave of uncertainty.. First game of the yr will set the tone.. Break the streak of 0'er in the SEC, can lead to big thing for the team this year@!
You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

Ramtough

I had to go with Tech but if Auburn really gets rolling then it may take a few weeks for this team to get over the shock of being beaten badly after all the hard work over the summer.

Professor Psychosis

The most important game is always the next one, but assuming the gimmes, then we need to go 1-1 vs. Texas teams, 1-1 vs. Mississippi teams, and beat one of the 3 Tiger teams we play this year.  Win the bowl game and I think a lot of us would be happy after the turmoil of the last 2 years.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 28, 2014, 01:29:56 pm
+1
All Gas, No Brakes!

popcornhog

Quote from: 31to6 on July 28, 2014, 04:26:14 pm
The next one.

I agree 100%. That's a very valid cliche.

But which one game is likely to impact the season more than the others?
WPS

jgphillips3

Most critical for bowl chances: Texas Tech

Most important to see how we are improving: Bama

bphi11ips

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 28, 2014, 01:29:56 pm

Thank you.  The U.S. has gone completely insane.  College football is a good barometer. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: popcornhog on July 28, 2014, 06:22:45 pm

Cliche is French for truth. 

Jamie Jones

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2014, 06:29:23 pm
French?? And some on this board can't even speak good ENGLISH!   ;)
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Augustus

For me, it was either Auburn or Mizzou.

Mizzou, because it's definitely winnable, and being the last game may make the difference between bowling or not.  Or, at least indicate a much improved team year over year.

But, I chose Auburn.  I think this game may set the tone for the rest of the season... not only for the players, but for the fans as well.

Who knows? We could pull the upset. But even if not, if we keep it competitive, I think that carries forward when playing weaker-than-Auburn teams like Miss St, Ole Miss, mizzou, etc.

popcornhog

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2014, 06:29:23 pm

Chienne, s'il vois plait. Je ne sais pas. Je ne vois vraiment pas parler francais, mais cela ne semble pas correct.

However, I do know that in English it certainly means a phrase that is overused and lacks original thought.
WPS

31to6

Quote from: popcornhog on July 28, 2014, 06:22:45 pm

But which one game is likely to impact the season more than the others?
Honestly I don't think there is one this year that we can point out before the season starts. I expect this team to have ups and downs which means that the most important game might be the one that pulls us out of a 2 or 3 loss skid and restore momentum.

With a team that is further along in development, you can usually say "if we make it to November with 1 loss, then beating LSU could decide who goes to Atlanta" or something like that.

This year, who can really know if there is a lynchpin game and there are only 2 games that are 'mark them down' wins... which means that the old cliche is even more true: this team has to take it one week at a time, because they will have some rough losses and they need to be taking the field with both short memories and not looking past anyone they play.

PonderinHog

Quote from: popcornhog on July 28, 2014, 09:26:19 pm
Chienne, s'il vois plait. Je ne sais pas. Je ne vois vraiment pas parler francais, mais cela ne semble pas correct.

However, I do know that in English it certainly means a phrase that is overused and lacks original thought.
C'est drole.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I think it's Alabama.  They will be the best team in the SEC by the time we play them.

It depends on how you define "important".  However, I would think that how you play against the best team is the best way to find out where you stand.

It could possibly be Auburn, if that wasn't the 1st game of the season.  I think it will take a couple of games for us to begin to click.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

HiggiePiggy

Important to me is being able to make a bowl this year.  So that would mean winning against Texas tech.   I don't expect us to beat any team in the state of Alabama except UAB.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Steef

All 13 of them are equally important.

jkstock04

For me the obvious answer is Auburn. Get blown out there and it's possible the wheels come off. Make a good showing, perhaps hang around into the 4th quarter and then they have some positives to build on going forward with the season.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Steef

Our wheels are not going to come off. And certainly not after one game.

If our wheels were going to come off, last season would have done it. Instead, we got BETTER at the end of the season.

I want to beat Auburn too. Maybe more than any other team this year. But if we don't, we've still got plenty of good football to play.

Tim Harris

For me it is Tech.  We need to go 4-0 in nonconference games to have a good shot at a bowl game.

bphi11ips

Quote from: popcornhog on July 28, 2014, 09:26:19 pm

Coupe de Ville.

First, we are going to run over Texas Tech.  Texas beat them 41-16 during a 5 game losing streak.  They gave up 201 yards on the ground in a pass happy conference.  They aren't built to beat Arkansas. 

Second, does anyone think Bret Bielema asks over and over, "What is the most important game of 2014?"  If he does, do you think his answer turns on whether we win 6 games?

Coaches don't focus on questions like this.  They take the season one day at a time and focus on the process of keeping the train on the tracks in the midst of any number of perils that could derail it.  If they do that, wins will take care of themselves.  Looking ahead will get them beat.  At the end of the season they tally up the results.

hogcard1964

popcornhog

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 29, 2014, 08:40:02 am
Coupe de Ville.

First, we are going to run over Texas Tech.  Texas beat them 41-16 during a 5 game losing streak.  They gave up 201 yards on the ground in a pass happy conference.  They aren't built to beat Arkansas. 

Second, does anyone think Bret Bielema asks over and over, "What is the most important game of 2014?"  If he does, do you think his answer turns on whether we win 6 games?

Coaches don't focus on questions like this.  They take the season one day at a time and focus on the process of keeping the train on the tracks in the midst of any number of perils that could derail it.  If they do that, wins will take care of themselves.  Looking ahead will get them beat.  At the end of the season they tally up the results.

I'm not on the coaching staff -- just a fan who is looking forward to the schedule and pumped to talk about which games could get us over the jump this year.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: steefhog on July 29, 2014, 07:45:26 am

If our wheels were going to come off, last season would have done it. Instead, we got BETTER at the end of the season.

I want to beat Auburn too. Maybe more than any other team this year. But if we don't, we've still got plenty of good football to play.

Agreed. AU is not likely to be a key to our improvement this year, although I'd love to see the hogs play well and/or win every game.
WPS

jkstock04

Quote from: steefhog on July 29, 2014, 07:45:26 am

I played football in high school and college...and have been a part of both....God awful losing teams and championship caliber teams. When you are on the losing end of this spectrum for a significant amount of time your mind set can be fragile. The "here we go again" mentality. I'm not saying we have to or should beat Auburn...I'm merely saying we really need some positive things to happen for us to build on (dare I say moral victory?)A loss in blowout fashion and the wheels COULD come off. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

popcornhog

Quote from: steefhog on July 29, 2014, 07:03:16 am
All 13 of them are equally important.

True but in terms of realistically being the key to going bowling -- Nichols St nor Alabama likely hold those keys.

This thread is really about predicting as a fan, which game do you feel like is really most important in terms of getting us on track.

If we're coaches/players, absolutely they're all equally important.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2014, 12:11:59 am
C'est drole.

I'm glad somebody appreciates my humor and poor French grammar.

I thought that was one of the better responses I've ever been able to dream up. Haha
WPS

bphi11ips

Quote from: popcornhog on July 29, 2014, 09:11:50 am

This thread is really about predicting as a fan, which game do you feel like is really most important in terms of getting us on track.

If that is the question, then I'd say the first one.

Huckleberry Pig

I really do think it's Auburn.  Think about just the moral of not only our team but our fanbase going forward with a W against Auburn.  And not only moral, but the confidence of our team would skyrocket and that can be infectious (in a good way). 

And I'm not saying because it's game one, I'm saying because it's Auburn, the team that was in the national championship last year.  At their place.  First game of the season.  First SEC win for CBB and many on this team.  Wakes up our fanbase.  Wakes up our team. 

BEAT MuthaFriggin AUBURN

can I get an AMEN

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 29, 2014, 09:48:13 am
If that is the question, then I'd say the first one.

That's right #1gameatatime #grinding #wehogs #lookatmyyorkies #karma #guysreplyingtoeachotherinfrenchistresfem
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 29, 2014, 10:06:30 am
That's right #1gameatatime #grinding #wehogs #lookatmyyorkies #karma #guysreplyingtoeachotherinfrenchistresfem
#biteyourtongue

East TN HAWG

I was torn between Aubbie and TTech.  I voted TTech because of the bowl ramifications.  I think Aubbie is important to set the tone.  We are still a very young team, and a good opening game could set the foundation for a decent year.   

bphi11ips

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on July 29, 2014, 10:04:34 am
I really do think it's Auburn.  Think about just the moral of not only our team but our fanbase going forward with a W against Auburn.  And not only moral, but the confidence of our team would skyrocket and that can be infectious (in a good way). 

And I'm not saying because it's game one, I'm saying because it's Auburn, the team that was in the national championship last year.  At their place.  First game of the season.  First SEC win for CBB and many on this team.  Wakes up our fanbase.  Wakes up our team. 

BEAT MuthaFriggin AUBURN

can I get an AMEN

A win is secondary to a strong, fundamentally sound performance.  Is this team ready to compete for four quarters?  Will they execute?  Will they tackle well?  Those are big questions for 2014. 

NaturalStateReb

It's Auburn.

A win against Auburn is not critical, but a competitive game is.  It's the first game of the season and it's a conference game. 

In some ways, Arkansas vs. Auburn will be a tone-setter for the season.  If Arkansas comes out and plays competitively against the Tigers, confidence will grow on the team and optimism will grow within the fan base.  Get run over by the Gus Bus and risk a "oh-no-here-we-go-again" feeling settling in for the fall.  That doesn't mean that the wheels are going to come off, but it it's not going to build confidence in either this season's outcome or Bielema in general.

The 2nd most important game is Taco Tech.  Beat the Red Raiders, and a window of hope will open for a bowl game as Arkansas' confidence level improves.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

The_Iceman

Like many, I feel its Texas Tech. Not just because it would help us get to 4-0 in the non-conference (assuring more wins than 2013), but because of the moral boost it would give our fanbase early on.

It will be the collision between two very contrasting styles, even more than Bielema v. Malzahn because Gus runs the ball. Tech is a hurry up and throw team. If Bielema can show his ability to control the ball game thru the Offensive Line and Defensive Scheming, then the fan base will feel a lot better about our staff and system going forward.

trashcan maN

Can't believe how much some of you are downplaying the importance of a win AT the defending SEC champs house in the first game of the season.

HUGE tone-setter.

A win @ Auburn would be a program changer. Not quite on the level of TAMU over BAMA, but it would definitely be a HUGE signature win for BB.

That being said, I totally understand why most have chosen TTU. It is definitely our swing game.

The_Iceman

Quote from: trashcan maN on July 29, 2014, 10:29:10 am
Can't believe how much some of you are downplaying the importance of a win AT the defending SEC champs house in the first game of the season.

HUGE tone-setter.

A win @ Auburn would be a program changer. Not quite on the level of TAMU over BAMA, but it would definitely be a HUGE signature win for BB.

That being said, I totally understand why most have chosen TTU. It is definitely our swing game.

The reason it is not the biggest game of the year is because losing it doesn't really mean much. No one expects us to win and we really shouldn't win it.

Texas Tech on the other hand is an early game against an evenly matched opponent. That swing game is much more important than Auburn. Winning Auburn would be bigger, I agree, but the more accurate choice is TTU.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 29, 2014, 10:33:10 am
The reason it is not the biggest game of the year is because losing it doesn't really mean much. No one expects us to win and we really shouldn't win it.

Texas Tech on the other hand is an early game against an evenly matched opponent. That swing game is much more important than Auburn. Winning Auburn would be bigger, I agree, but the more accurate choice is TTU.

Losing to Auburn may not mean much, but how they lose will mean a very great deal if it happens.  There'll be a huge difference between losing a nail-biter with last year's SEC champ and getting blasted by 30+ points by Gus Malzahn.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

The_Iceman

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on July 29, 2014, 10:36:03 am
Losing to Auburn may not mean much, but how they lose will mean a very great deal if it happens.  There'll be a huge difference between losing a nail-biter with last year's SEC champ and getting blasted by 30+ points by Gus Malzahn.

We can't look over-matched, that is for sure. But a loss there is to be expected, and the overall record for 2014 is more important.

We will likely be 1-1 going into TTU. A lost would put us way back on the path to 5 or 6 wins. But, getting to 2-1 would mean we will be 3-1 going into a&m in Arlington. A win there would set up up 4-1 going into Georgia, Bama, UAB....meaning at worst we will be 5-3.

It would be real nice to be sitting 5-3....or even 4-4 (loss to TAMU)....going into the final 4 swing games of the year: @MissSt, LSU, Ole Miss, @Mizzou.

SemperFi

Auburn. Got to start the 2014 season off on the right foot and there's no better way to do that, but with a big win over an SEC darling. Beat Aubbie and the nation takes notice.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

PonderinHog

All parties involved will either be greatly encouraged or deeply discouraged by our performance in the Auburn game.

popcornhog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 29, 2014, 10:06:30 am

#peucommun

#hestartedit
WPS