Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 Man Backfield

Started by hoggusamoungus, July 28, 2014, 12:18:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoggusamoungus

Maybe this will kill the KM rumors.

http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/sports/hogs-have-options-three-man-backfield

popcornhog

We went to ATL and a Cap One and a Cotton Bowl.  Granted that's a limited comparison, but consider the similarities:

Coming off of a losing season.

Some close games in the previous season to ranked teams where our young players showed out (UGA in particular comes to mind and LSU last year).

So there you have it, we will lose to AU opening weekend like 50 - 3.  Then we'll win 10 games in a row before a heart breaking loss to Mizzou the day after Thanksgiving.

Then we'll lose to UGA in the SECCG when KM fubles a punt return early in the 4th quarter.

It's all so clear all of a sudden.
WPS

Hogberry Snortcake

Right now, I'll take it.  End of November, I'd want you tarred and feathered. 

alwaysnextyear

The Kig

OK, that is funny....

Only thing I think that changes is that KM is well over 5' tall and will not fumble.
Poker Porker

popcornhog

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on July 28, 2014, 01:05:59 pm
Right now, I'll take it.  End of November, I'd want you tarred and feathered.

Haha.  Just a light hearted reminder that sometimes the turnarounds can happen way ahead of schedule -- and even in the midst of a turnaround things can suck.  Let's enjoy all that is good with the program right now and it will be all that much better once we build back up to contention in the SEC and for the BCS playoffs.

Things could be way worse and they will get way better.

WPS
WPS

The Kig

Nobody in their right mind was projecting the Auburn was going to do what they did last year, so it is possible. 

***Disclaimer for the "but, but, Gus" group... Yes, I know that Gus came into a good situation for him to do what he did, but the reality was that they sucked the year before and won last year. 
Poker Porker

HappyFan

Are we going to resurrect the wishbone with all the RBs and TEs we have it could be possible.

HF#1

Willams, Collins, and Marshall DO NOT equal McFadden, Jones, and Hillis...  Not even close.  Not even a little bit.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

popcornhog

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 28, 2014, 01:46:52 pm
Willams, Collins, and Marshall DO NOT equal McFadden, Jones, and Hillis...  Not even close.  Not even a little bit.

Lighten up, it wasn't a prediction just some perspective.

Of course they're not McFadden, Jones, and Hillis.

The whole post was just about perspective and how surprises can happen.
WPS

MS_HogFan

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on July 28, 2014, 12:18:05 pm

http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/sports/hogs-have-options-three-man-backfield

What are the KM rumors?
SOOIE

HognVA

I am not advocating the return of the Bone offense but with the pendulum swinging, and all teams gearing their defense to combat spread offenses, I predict a few teams racking up some gaudy numbers with run first offenses.

GuvHog

Quote from: HappyFan on July 28, 2014, 01:44:56 pm
Are we going to resurrect the wishbone with all the RBs and TEs we have it could be possible.

They'd have to recruit an Option QB first. Hatfield's "Flexbone" might work though.   ;)
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on July 28, 2014, 03:46:44 pm
They'd have to recruit an Option QB first. Hatfield's "Flexbone" might work though.   ;)

Peavey is best suited to run the wishbone right away.  It don't take no scientific rocket to make the reads.  How flat footed would Auburn be if the Hogs opened up in the wishbone? 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2014, 04:49:36 pm
Peavey is best suited to run the wishbone right away.  It don't take no scientific rocket to make the reads.  How flat footed would Auburn be if the Hogs opened up in the wishbone? 

While I don't disagree, about the last thing I want is a true freshman handling the ball with three options (including a potential pitch), or four, if you count a quick two step drop and throw off the FB fake. Keep in mind that Triple Option teams (in their heyday) tended to put the ball on the carpet quite alot. Something we definitely don't need to do.

Back to topic, having three RB's who are all dangerous in their own regard presents a tremendous problem for opposing defenses in terms of preparation, especially if all three can do all of the things an offense asks of them, while all having their individual strengths. Hard to key on any single RB or predict what the offense is likely to do when they are on the field.

Now if we have a better than serviceable passing game, this offense will be capable of doing some serious damage.
Go Hogs Go!

whippersnapper

Bring on the wishbone!!

Prestworthy

Quote from: RandomFan on July 28, 2014, 05:22:37 pm
Oh I think implementing the bone offense would catch Auburn off guard, but our next conference opponent would be ready for it, so not sure it's worth the risks you just pointed out.
And CBB would never change an entire offense like that.  He will play Wisconsin-style football here until he wins.

Country Stylz

Quote from: HF#1 on July 28, 2014, 01:46:52 pm
       Not even a little bit?

Prestworthy

Quote from: popcornhog on July 28, 2014, 01:03:41 pm
We went to ATL and a Cap One and a Cotton Bowl.  Granted that's a limited comparison, but consider the similarities:

Some close games in the previous season to ranked teams where our young players showed out (UGA in particular comes to mind and LSU last year).

So there you have it, we will lose to AU opening weekend like 50 - 3.  Then we'll win 10 games in a row before a heart breaking loss to Mizzou the day after Thanksgiving.

Then we'll lose to UGA in the SECCG when KM fubles a punt return early in the 4th quarter.

I wish KM would be the PR.  He'd be a major weapon.  I also hope he brings the ball out of the end zone more this year.  Magical things can happen with the ball in that guy's hands.

Keyser Sooieze

This seems so obvious that it must've been already been posted, but I've been wondering, especially during the year last year when we we were struggling at qb. I remember them running it a few times--did we not stick with it b/c Collins wasn't comfortable taking snaps, etc?  With questionable qb play once again (imho) and with the stated goal to have 3 very talented rbs get the most pt as possible, is this not being considered as a way to make that happen? 

Keyser Sooieze

and, given last year's layout, I'd say repeat in the Collins/McFadden, Williams/Hillis, Marshall/Jones configuration, but since Marshall and Williams are a tad bit taller, I wonder if one of them would take snaps bettter. 

Jek Tono Porkins

They ran the wildcat a fair bit but it seemed like Collins ran the same play out of it every time. I bet they'll get creative with it this year.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 28, 2014, 05:05:49 pm

Keep in mind that Triple Option teams (in their heyday) tended to put the ball on the carpet quite alot.

Who would know this better than an Oklahoma boy?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2014, 06:35:15 pm
Who would know this better than an Oklahoma boy?

A statistician?
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

. . . we had a Parade All-American QB and an offensive co-ordinator who has now coached in 2 NCG's. 

Don't get carried away just yet.

HogFanatic

A Parade All-American QB who half of Hogville calls a bum every chance they get and an offensive coordinator who virtually everyone agrees wasn't allowed to do his job.

MissippHog

Quote from: popcornhog on July 28, 2014, 01:03:41 pm

If that's how it's going to play out.....I'll take it!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 28, 2014, 07:01:57 pm
A Parade All-American QB who half of Hogville calls a bum every chance they get and an offensive coordinator who virtually everyone agrees wasn't allowed to do his job.

Half of Hogville doesn't know a football from a grapefruit.

Danny Nutt created  the Wildcat. 

Fort Dweller

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2014, 07:40:57 pm

Grapefruit is the sour one right?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

HogFanatic

Quote from: Fort Dweller on July 28, 2014, 07:52:56 pm
Grapefruit is the sour one right?

No, it's the oblong one.   :-\

three hog night

The RB's are going to be much more involved in the passing game
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Chaney will NOT run the wishbone, thank goodness.  Why would anyone(except for Army, Navy, Ivy League, etc.) want to run that offense?  Passing the ball is so much more effective, as well as just running it with the running back talent that we have.

We don't need a running QB - that would be a step backwards.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Prestworthy

Quote from: three hog night on July 28, 2014, 08:15:20 pm
The RB's are going to be much more involved in the passing game
I really hope this is the case.

jgphillips3

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on July 28, 2014, 12:18:05 pm

What are the KM rumors?

Country Stylz

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2014, 07:40:57 pm

Gus was running the wildcat at Hughes in the 1990's when I played against him. Danny was nowhere to be found.

Country Stylz

Quote from: Country Stylz on July 28, 2014, 10:48:43 pm
Gus was running the wildcat at Hughes in the 1990's when I played against him. Danny was nowhere to be found.
He had the motion man " Clevan Fuqua" coming down the line of scrimmage dishing out pain on every play. This is where the wildcat was born from. Ask the  coaches at Brinkley for some Hughes tapes. Clevon Fuqua...hide ya kids...hide ya wife.

slapdogg

Now for those of you that want to argue Gus nor Nutt invented the wild hog.This formation and concept has been around since the days when the helments where leather. It's the wing T all Of Gus offense is just playing 1930's football formations. Anyone whom has studied any old football films will see this. Not trying to be a know it all but it's the facts. Before the forward pass became popular teams would take shotgun snaps in order to get the ball to there fastest players quicker.Coach Holtz would show us film of games and formations for our run game on reel to reel film. Gus is just smart enough to know that everyone want to make up some new offense when just plan old football the way it was at the start will win games. He just has good players and drill the few plays they run into them.Just as Nolan did with 40 min of hell it was something you only face when played arkansas that made it work so well. The wing T was designed to confuse the defense with all the fakes so as to make the defense made a quick decision not the offense. Look it up.

bphi11ips

Quote from: slapdogg on July 28, 2014, 11:30:23 pm
Now for those of you that want to argue Gus nor Nutt invented the wild hog.This formation and concept has been around since the days when the helments where leather. It's the wing T all Of Gus offense is just playing 1930's football formations. Anyone whom has studied any old football films will see this. Not trying to be a know it all but it's the facts. Before the forward pass became popular teams would take shotgun snaps in order to get the ball to there fastest players quicker.Coach Holtz would show us film of games and formations for our run game on reel to reel film. Gus is just smart enough to know that everyone want to make up some new offense when just plan old football the way it was at the start will win games. He just has good players and drill the few plays they run into them.Just as Nolan did with 40 min of hell it was something you only face when played arkansas that made it work so well. The wing T was designed to confuse the defense with all the fakes so as to make the defense made a quick decision not the offense. Look it up.

There is nothing new under the sun.  I was being facetious.  The genius of what Malzahn did in 2006 was the way he used McFadden and Jones together to create space.  To say it wasn't his offense ignores everything Nutt had done for 8 seasons in Fayetteville.  Nutt may have resented the success and sabotaged Malzhan at times, but Malzahn's signature was all over the 10-2 regular season. 

I was slightly facetious about the wishbone, too.  Chaney's offense is the future of this team.  But it would be fun to see Malzahn try and defend it unprepared.