Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No south end zone bleachers this year

Started by ricepig, July 28, 2014, 11:58:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Mike Waddell (@mikewaddellUA) tweeted at 10:52 AM on Mon, Jul 28, 2014: @Looney_Hog @BHF_WPS Bleachers are gone... stya tuned for our announcement for something really cool / one of a kind for @Uarkansas students

Inhogswetrust

Maybe the student section will become a "club" level seating area and then they can have Beer!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

alwaysnextyear

Probably will put some bleachers in the north end zone like UT game.

Pickwick Hog

Bungee jumping and zip lines to the Broyles Center!

Hey, 'bout as safe as those bleachers appeared to be.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on July 28, 2014, 12:09:44 pm
Bungee jumping and zip lines to the Broyles Center!

Hey, 'bout as safe as those bleachers appeared to be.

Those bleachers are perfectly safe................................as long as you don't fall off.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ur

Outside Lounge area for students, frats, sor.?   Guess they could call it The Acropolis!  ;)

ricepig

Quote from: ur on July 28, 2014, 01:08:39 pm
Outside Lounge area for students, frats, sor.?   Guess they could call it The Acropolis!  ;)

My son almost always sat up there, we'll, not in the bleachers. He wasn't about to stand in line, and you actually get a great view from there if you sat in the lower rows.

JayBell

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2014, 01:15:56 pmMy son almost always sat up there, we'll, not in the bleachers. He wasn't about to stand in line, and you actually get a great view from there if you sat in the lower rows.

But the back rows make up the scariest place I have ever stood in my life.

Dwight_K_Shrute

They may still do something for the students in that upper south end zone area.  It's actually a pretty cool place to watch a game, not in the bleachers though.  I went back to the UofA about 12 years ago to get my masters.  Best part of it was getting student ticket prices for not only myself but the wife and kids.  Could take the entire family to the game for like $10.  The view up there on just the deck is very good.  You can see the entire field see plays developing see the defense breaking down etc.  Obviously great view of the big screen as well.  The only drawback at the time was the food service up there was spotty.  Now I wouldn't have sat on those bleachers for $100, but they weren't even up at that point.   
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on July 28, 2014, 12:05:12 pm
Probably will put some bleachers in the north end zone like UT game.

T'would be my guess as well.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

ricepig

The_Iceman

My last few years in law school, I almost always sat on top of the SEZ. I never sat in the green bleachers tho. I went up there once just to see what it was like, and you couldn't see the 20 yard line to the end zone. Not good seats.

The permanent seats up there are a fantastic view of the game tho.

arkansaspanic

They're not that bad really.  I've sat in them several times.  If you fell off the back, you would have to also jump 25 feet out to have an extremely serious fall.  They didn't go all the way back to the edge of the stadium wall.  They definitely look uneasy from the sideline seats in the stadium, but once your up there you kind of realize that they're okay.

jkstock04

Quote from: arkansaspanic on July 28, 2014, 09:31:36 pm
They're not that bad really.  I've sat in them several times.  If you fell off the back, you would have to also jump 25 feet out to have an extremely serious fall.  They didn't go all the way back to the edge of the stadium wall.  They definitely look uneasy from the sideline seats in the stadium, but once your up there you kind of realize that they're okay.
Exactly what I was wondering...from down below I always thought it looked pretty scary, I'm kind of uneasy about heights anyways.

When I was a student I don't think we ever had those seats so I've never been up there.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Uncle SI

First time, long time, great topic, love the show.

Huckleberry Pig

Like panic said, they are fine once your up there.  Not the best view but they are very safe.  You aren't at all close to the back edge.  And my favorite seats ended up being up there, not on the bleachers but the real seats.  You really get to see the plays develop and didn't have to deal with being a sardine for 4hrs

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

go hogues

In other words, they don't want the place to look more empty than it already will.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Ramtough

Quote from: go hogues on July 28, 2014, 10:21:08 pm
In other words, they don't want the place to look more empty than it already will.
I"m thinking stripper poles and elevated cages. That would go great with the beer.

Oklahawg

Put down a plywood floor on the roof of the BAC and have a kegger.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Cinco de Hogo

I've heard they are expecting somewhere on neighborhood of 7000 less fans per game,  just don't need the extra seating.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on July 28, 2014, 10:12:50 pm
Like panic said, they are fine once your up there.  Not the best view but they are very safe.  You aren't at all close to the back edge.  And my favorite seats ended up being up there, not on the bleachers but the real seats.  You really get to see the plays develop and didn't have to deal with being a sardine for 4hrs

I agree. I always tried to be one of the first students up there to get one of those seats. Play development was really fun to watch up there.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 29, 2014, 06:23:17 am
I've heard they are expecting somewhere on neighborhood of 7000 less fans per game,  just don't need the extra seating.

And students just don't turn out consistently enough to justify them. Too many enjoy drinking and partying at their frat houses or in the tailgates to actually come cheer on their team. Then, when halftime hits, they leave early to go back.

I definitely noticed a "too cool for school" attitude with some in the student section.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 29, 2014, 06:23:17 am

Why is that?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 29, 2014, 08:37:47 am
Why is that?

I'll guess fair weather fans.........................................

hogcard1964

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 29, 2014, 09:10:33 am
I'll guess fair weather fans.........................................

That's a huge decline.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 29, 2014, 08:37:47 am
Why is that?

Ticket sales are down a bit due to 2 losing seasons in a row. Once the Hogs start winning again and there is a need for the extra seating, the south end zone bleachers will probably be put back up there.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 29, 2014, 09:15:50 am
That's a huge decline.

Yes but unfortunately all teams have some including us. My take is IF someone is a fair-weather fan they are not a real fan.  When fans support and root for and show up when they have in the past when winning and then do so when things aren't so bright, then you have a real fan. I realize a lot of people can't go to games. That doesn't mean their support should waver when things aren't so bright. It is easy and more fun to show up and/or support the players when winning it is more difficult when losing. The players deserve our support maybe moreso in bad times than good.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 09:19:42 am
Ticket sales are down a bit due to 2 losing seasons in a row. Once the Hogs start winning again and there is a need for the extra seating, the south end zone bleachers will probably be put back up there.

I'd bet more along the lines of the north end zone expansion happening before bleachers are added back on top of the south endzone.

Pickwick Hog

Paid attendance figures are down everywhere. LSU has seen declines for 2 consecutive years and are concerned about the fact they just increased seating to 102k+.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on July 29, 2014, 09:30:16 am
Paid attendance figures are down everywhere. LSU has seen declines for 2 consecutive years and are concerned about the fact they just increased seating to 102k+.

Yep. The proliferation of games on TV imo is the main cause of attendance declines.

mhsbc59

I have been to all the so called loud games in RRS and the bama one in 10 is the only one that comes close to WMS games get on a regular basses. Loudest game from start to finish ever was in WMS 1998 vs. tim couches kentucky book it
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

hoosier

Quote from: mhsbc59 on July 29, 2014, 09:33:25 am
I have been to all the so called loud games in RRS and the bama one in 10 is the only one that comes close to WMS games get on a regular basses. Loudest game from start to finish ever was in WMS 1998 vs. tim couches kentucky book it
That was by far the loudest game I have ever been to.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 29, 2014, 09:29:49 am
I'd bet more along the lines of the north end zone expansion happening before bleachers are added back on top of the south endzone.

I hope you are right but I suspect the North end zone enclosure will happen first.

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 09:19:42 am

The South End Zone seats really have nothing to do with ticket sales. It has to do with Student Attendance. They sell out plenty of Access Passes a year to fill it up, but people just don't come.

hogcard1964

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 29, 2014, 09:40:05 am
The South End Zone seats really have nothing to do with ticket sales. It has to do with Student Attendance. They sell out plenty of Access Passes a year to fill it up, but people just don't come.

Yep, those 4000 temporary seats are what push us to 76,000 and really don't figure into normal attendance.

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 29, 2014, 09:52:07 am
Is this confirmed? 

Did you read the first post with tweet from Mike Waddell?

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 29, 2014, 09:40:05 am

During 2010 and 2011 seasons, those bleachers were nearly full for every home conference game because what seats the students didn't buy were sold to the public. They've been nearly empty for every game the last 2 years.

Huckleberry Pig

still waiting for what the new cool thing is...

They project numbers this season will be down, which makes sense.  But boy that could change if we just got a W in game one.  Nothing would make me happier.

Inhogswetrust

July 29, 2014, 10:06:48 am #40 Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:34:50 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 09:39:31 am
I hope you are right but I suspect the North end zone enclosure will happen first.

I think that's what I said isn't it..................you are confusing me Gov. Since you are Gov though I shouldn't be surprised.

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2014, 09:53:49 am
Did you read the first post with tweet from Mike Waddell?

Yes, but then that was followed with this:

"stya tuned for our announcement for something really cool / one of a kind for @Uarkansas students"

what's the meaning of this?

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 09:57:06 am
During 2010 and 2011 seasons, those bleachers were nearly full for every home conference game because what seats the students didn't buy were sold to the public. They've been nearly empty for every game the last 2 years.

Now, Students don't buy tickets. They buy access passes. So if students buy enough passes to cover those 4,000 seats, then those tickets won't be sold to the general public. All it is doing is reducing the number of student seats. That won't mean much for most games. For big home games, it will just mean some won't get it (or will be moves to the East Side Upper deck to look for empty spots.

The_Iceman

Tennessee 2006 was the loudest before Bama 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvQx41odnKY

The crowd was great in 2011 for Tennessee, Auburn, and South Carolina as well.

WMS has had some great crowds, aided greatly by the smaller stadium and bowl design, but their lows have been much worse than anything in RRS. The last two seasons in WMS have been a joke. People have begun just going to the game to drink on the golf course and no one went inside. 45,000 at a game should never happen, which is why they are slowly losing games.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 29, 2014, 10:09:02 am
Yes, but then that was followed with this:

"stya tuned for our announcement for something really cool / one of a kind for @Uarkansas students"

what's the meaning of this?

I take that as they are looking for different ways to enhance student attendance. If they aren't using the upper deck bleachers this year, then I assume they have an alternative student seating location plan (i.e. NEZ field level bleachers, BAC patio seats, replace the SEZ bleachers with more of a patio scene. etc.). Will be interesting to see what they come up with.
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed

jb11

I have to go with either the Houston game or the A&M game in the late 80's. You couldn't even talk to the person next to you and your ears rang for days.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Captain Hogvious on July 29, 2014, 10:30:48 am
I take that as they are looking for different ways to enhance student attendance. If they aren't using the upper deck bleachers this year, then I assume they have an alternative student seating location plan (i.e. NEZ field level bleachers, BAC patio seats, replace the SEZ bleachers with more of a patio scene. etc.). Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

When the green bleachers are not there, there is actually a pretty large terrace area available on top of the SEZ...much like the one they plan to do above the NEZ. I won't if they are going to make that area into something cool.

B0SSH0GG

I have heard that the SEZ area is going to be used to rent out for private parties, corporate events, etc. Again, the student tickets do not create enough revenue for this area so have to create something for the high rollers to blow money on.
Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

The_Iceman

Quote from: B0SSH0GG on July 29, 2014, 11:01:17 am
I have heard that the SEZ area is going to be used to rent out for private parties, corporate events, etc. Again, the student tickets do not create enough revenue for this area so have to create something for the high rollers to blow money on.

What they may do is take the bleacher seats that already exist up there and section them off per private tent. That way one big tent up there will have plenty of space for food, drinks, a few tables, and then enough seats for those to watch the game. It is actually a pretty good idea if that's what they do.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 29, 2014, 11:07:16 am
What they may do is take the bleacher seats that already exist up there and section them off per private tent. That way one big tent up there will have plenty of space for food, drinks, a few tables, and then enough seats for those to watch the game. It is actually a pretty good idea if that's what they do.

Mike said something about a student area, but they only sell 9800 student Access Passes and I don't know what the section by the band holds.