Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Countdown to Auburn, the Biggest Game for Bielema Since Taking the Job

Started by Robert Shields, July 28, 2014, 10:03:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Countdown to Auburn, the Biggest Game for Bielema Since Taking the Job

Robert Shields

The countdown begins to the kickoff of college football now that soccer at the World Cup has stopped kicking people in the shins and the bike race that they hold in France that was better when they were all on the juice has reached its conclusion. 

The uneventful SEC media days has come and gone, and before you know it there will be Razorback media days where also nothing will happen. But then two-a-days start, so you know you're in that time frame to start making predictions.

As everyone knows, the Razorbacks have a big test right off the bat when they go to Auburn to open the season. I have written before that Arkansas needs to leave that game with at least a moral victory if not the actual thing.

The SEC also needs the Razorbacks to put the Tigers down quickly after they woefully misrepresented the conference in the national title game breaking the SEC's seven-game winning streak. It would be fitting for one of the worst SEC teams to put them out to pasture (not hard to do when Auburn is mostly one big pasture).

Let's face it, Auburn never deserved to be in the national championship as they should have lost to Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Georgia, and Alabama during the season. They lucked out getting to play Missouri in the SEC championship game. And Missouri should never win the SEC East again. Shame on Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina.

Gus Malzahn teams in the past have tended to start slowly and finish fast, or at the very least their luck seems to pick up at the end. This presents the Razorbacks with the opportunity to go on the road and catch Auburn before the Tigers start rolling like Utah State almost did a few years ago.

Auburn has also had to deal with its starting quarterback getting into some trouble, again providing the Razorbacks a chance to catch them.

And if the Razorbacks beat the Tigers, then Auburn can trademark the saying "WTH" after the game just like the Razorbacks did for the Woo Pig Soiee chant. I'm not sure that I'm even allowed to write that, but maybe the trademark only applies if I verbalize it.

Regardless, I am going on Zazzle or whatever those places are on the web to make some T-shirts ahead of time in orange and blue with "WTH, Auburn" on them.

While I'm at it, I have also designed a pig-looking creature in red and white that I call Big Red Swine. And not to leave an opportunity on the table while I'm branding things, you can also pick up a shirt with "Who is Robert Shields?" Of course it comes in red and white.

Regardless, this is Bret Bielema's chance to punch another SEC team in the mouth, and no team better to do it to than Auburn. This is his chance to put anyone talking about "Gus Malzahn shoulda been the Razorback coach" to bed in this opening game. After going 0-8 in his SEC debut season, Bielema needs something to kick start the program.

I have to give Bielema this fact. Last year, the most prepared his team looked all year for a game was the opener against Louisiana-Lafayette. After all the talk about the Razorbacks maybe dropping that opening game last year against a team that was supposed to have a great quarterback, Bielema's Razorbacks took it to them from beginning to end. It was by far the Hogs' best game.

Nothing could springboard this season into a memorable one –– like the 2006 season in which the Razorbacks also shocked Auburn at Jordan-Hare Stadium –– more than a knockout blow to Malzahn and Auburn.

But if the Razorbacks lose big to Auburn, the season may already be in the tank.

Send your T-shirt orders to fromthebench@yahoo.com

ricepig

I'll admit, I read all of this one. It was one of your better ones, if there is such a category. The game against Auburn is the most important, because it is the next one, pretty much cliche. The other parts in there trying to be witty, well, they fail as bad as this post. I'll close as usual, don't give up your day job.

Delicious~Dreams

The_Iceman

Vantage 8 dude

So Robert once again we're to believe that should we lose to AWbarn the whole season's pretty much in the tank? While I fully understand the importance and need to get off to a quick start, especially against a fellow SECW team, I'm to buy into the idea that IF we don't manage to get it done on the road this game the whole season is down the drain?! Come on, let's be real here!!! I mean other than true Hog fans how many are really expecting us to go down and get a win? Besides, as important as any SEC game is, to say that should be stumble out right of the chute the whole season needs to be written off is total baloney! Per usual you've written an article that's pretty much taken a "black or white" viewpoint when things are often somewhere in between. No matter what may happen against the "baby cats" I still say we have a great chance for improvement this season. GHG!!

weresoclose

MJ2

Definitely the biggest game for CBB at Arkansas, but could likely become a program changer in one direction or the other too.   We may point back to this game as the beginning of something - that something is TBD.

The NewEra

Quote from: Robert Shields on July 28, 2014, 10:03:31 am
I have to give Bielema this fact. Last year, the most prepared his team looked all year for a game was the opener against Louisiana-Lafayette. After all the talk about the Razorbacks maybe dropping that opening game last year against a team that was supposed to have a great quarterback, Bielema's Razorbacks took it to them from beginning to end. It was by far the Hogs' best game.

The Auburn game is important Robert.  There was another game in which they looked prepared last year and it was the LSU game.  Given that it was a ranked SEC team on the road, then I would have to say they were even more prepared than our first game.

woopig71657

No way Louisiana-Lafayette was our best game. If that were true no one would be predicting us to potentially beat Auburn. LSU was by far our best game of the season.

The_Iceman

Quote from: woopig71657 on July 28, 2014, 10:37:36 am
No way Louisiana-Lafayette was our best game. If that were true no one would be predicting us to potentially beat Auburn. LSU was by far our best game of the season.

Agreed. We executed very well against LSU. Unfortunately, our Senior safety ran a 4.8 40.

Here is the full game:

zane

I posted this one last week- but then I read the post.

I didn't read it this week so it is in full effect!
RIP LSUfan

Kevin

i waiting on you to write one about anderson and his biggest game since taking the job.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dark Helmet Hog

I have to disagree with the last sentence. Losing big, while not a good thing, would not indicate the rest of the season is in the tank. 2006 is a good example.

popcornhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2014, 10:12:00 am
I'll admit, I read all of this one. It was one of your better ones, if there is such a category. The game against Auburn is the most important, because it is the next one, pretty much cliche. The other parts in there trying to be witty, well, they fail as bad as this post. I'll close as usual, don't give up your day job.

Agreed.  AU is the most important game but the next day, Nichols State will be the most important game -- this is one cliche that is 100% accurate.

Although if you really want to classify just one game as the "most important" this year, it's got to be TTU in Lubbock.
WPS

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

GuvHog

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on July 28, 2014, 12:08:52 pm
I have to disagree with the last sentence. Losing big, while not a good thing, would not indicate the rest of the season is in the tank. 2006 is a good example.

The University of Southern Cal wasn't a conference opponent either. BIG DIFFERENCE.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2014, 04:20:35 pm
Rob getting better, ya'll. 

You ever seen a man flat on his back who didn't think everything was looking up?

moses_007

Hoggish1

Robert Shields

The countdown begins to the kickoff of college football now that soccer at the World Cup has stopped kicking people in the shins and the bike race that they hold in France that was better when they were all on the juice has reached its conclusion. 

Robert, Get back to me when you clear up the problems with ¶1...

BluegrassRazorback

Robert Shields

The uneventful SEC media days has come and gone, and before you know it there will be Razorback media days where also nothing will happen. But then two-a-days start, so you know you're in that time frame to start making predictions.

As everyone knows, the Razorbacks have a big test right off the bat when they go to Auburn to open the season. I have written before that Arkansas needs to leave that game with at least a moral victory if not the actual thing.

The SEC also needs the Razorbacks to put the Tigers down quickly after they woefully misrepresented the conference in the national title game breaking the SEC's seven-game winning streak. It would be fitting for one of the worst SEC teams to put them out to pasture (not hard to do when Auburn is mostly one big pasture).

Let's face it, Auburn never deserved to be in the national championship as they should have lost to Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Georgia, and Alabama during the season. They lucked out getting to play Missouri in the SEC championship game. And Missouri should never win the SEC East again. Shame on Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina.

Gus Malzahn teams in the past have tended to start slowly and finish fast, or at the very least their luck seems to pick up at the end. This presents the Razorbacks with the opportunity to go on the road and catch Auburn before the Tigers start rolling like Utah State almost did a few years ago.

Auburn has also had to deal with its starting quarterback getting into some trouble, again providing the Razorbacks a chance to catch them.

And if the Razorbacks beat the Tigers, then Auburn can trademark the saying "WTH" after the game just like the Razorbacks did for the Woo Pig Soiee chant. I'm not sure that I'm even allowed to write that, but maybe the trademark only applies if I verbalize it.

Regardless, I am going on Zazzle or whatever those places are on the web to make some T-shirts ahead of time in orange and blue with "WTH, Auburn" on them.

While I'm at it, I have also designed a pig-looking creature in red and white that I call Big Red Swine. And not to leave an opportunity on the table while I'm branding things, you can also pick up a shirt with "Who is Robert Shields?" Of course it comes in red and white.

Regardless, this is Bret Bielema's chance to punch another SEC team in the mouth, and no team better to do it to than Auburn. This is his chance to put anyone talking about "Gus Malzahn shoulda been the Razorback coach" to bed in this opening game. After going 0-8 in his SEC debut season, Bielema needs something to kick start the program.

Nothing could springboard this season into a memorable one –– like the 2006 season in which the Razorbacks also shocked Auburn at Jordan-Hare Stadium –– more than a knockout blow to Malzahn and Auburn.

But if the Razorbacks lose big to Auburn, the season may already be in the tank.

Send your T-shirt orders to fromthebench@yahoo.com

It's been longing time since Ark beat a top ranked team in the opening game

1974 -

Maybe Arkansas is due to win for all the hard work they have Put in to this season

If BA stays healthy and the defense improves this should be a Bowl game year

SquidBilly

IMO the Georgia game in LR is the biggest game of the season.  They are beatable and will be playing their first game ever in the Rock.