Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

By design, not a quick turnaround

Started by Biggus Piggus, July 28, 2014, 08:12:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: Piggfoot on July 28, 2014, 10:44:10 am
He did not LET Brandon Mitchell transfer. Mitchell told him that if he was not the starting QB he wanted to transfer. Bielema could not assure him of that request or demand.
Mitchell made the decision.

Wrong. CBB made his decision then BM made his. CBB knew he was going to lose BM and wind up with no experience behind BA if BM wasn't named the starter and he still wouldn't make the move. It really came back to haunt him.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: three hog night on July 28, 2014, 10:52:06 am
Guv is brain impaired so fact and reason don't count for him.

The truth is the truth. CBB had a choice to make and the choice he made came back to haunt him.

Piggfoot

Quote from: GuvHog on July 28, 2014, 10:53:01 am
Wrong. CBB made his decision then BM made his. CBB knew he was going to lose BM and wind up with no experience behind BA if BM wasn't named the starter and he still wouldn't make the move. It really came back to haunt him.
Wait a minute. You're saying that Bielema knew mitchell was going to transfer if he announced Allan the starter and Mitchell The backup?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Piggfoot on July 28, 2014, 10:44:10 am
He did not LET Brandon Mitchell transfer. Mitchell told him that if he was not the starting QB he wanted to transfer. Bielema could not assure him of that request or demand.
Mitchell made the decision.

Quote from: GuvHog on July 28, 2014, 10:53:01 am

I think that you are both right and both wrong, in part.

The way I understood it was, Mitchell didn't come out of spring as the #1 QB. That wasn't just Bielema's evaluation.

Mitchell wanted to play QB and thought he should have been the #1 after the spring. He was still going to get reps at QB but he was a good enough athlete that they wanted to find a way to get him on the field. The best way to do that was at WR. This wasn't what Mitchell wanted.

After their conversation (Bielema and Mitchell) it became apparent that they couldn't see eye to eye on how Mitchell was going to be utilized and Mitchell wanted to go somewhere that he had a chance to play QB in his Sr. season of eligibility. We have to assume that is how it went down since none of us were in the room during that meeting.

Given that, Bielema made some calls on Mitchell's behalf trying to help him achieve his goal of playing QB full time. Mitchell decided for Dave Doeren and NC State.

As a HC, do you really want to refuse to release a kid and keep him in your locker room when he is disgruntled and not being the Senior leader that you need? No.

This has been discussed repeatedly. Could we now move on?
Go Hogs Go!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 28, 2014, 11:05:15 am
I think that you are both right and both wrong, in part.

The way I understood it was, Mitchell didn't come out of spring as the #1 QB. That wasn't just Bielema's evaluation.

Mitchell wanted to play QB and thought he should have been the #1 after the spring. He was still going to get reps at QB but he was a good enough athlete that they wanted to find a way to get him on the field. The best way to do that was at WR. This wasn't what Mitchell wanted.

After their conversation (Bielema and Mitchell) it became apparent that they couldn't see eye to eye on how Mitchell was going to be utilized and Mitchell wanted to go somewhere that he had a chance to play QB in his Sr. season of eligibility. We have to assume that is how it went down since none of us were in the room during that meeting.

Given that, Bielema made some calls on Mitchell's behalf trying to help him achieve his goal of playing QB full time. Mitchell decided for Dave Doeren and NC State.

As a HC, do you really want to refuse to release a kid and keep him in your locker room when he is disgruntled and not being the Senior leader that you need? No.

This has been discussed repeatedly. Could we now move on?
Actually there is more to it than that.

Bielema told reporters in his post spring presser that BM could continue to compete for the starting job in August but he wanted him to take reps at receiver where he could really help the team.

Before they could talk BM started telling his teammates that he had no intention of taking reps at WR.

One of the seniors (I never learned who) went to Bielema and told him that Mitchell was openly complaining and it was starting to become a problem.

Bielema called him in and from their conversation it was clear that BM wanted no part of being a receiver. In fact he wanted to know where he stood on being the starter at QB. At that point Bielema offered to help him transfer.

One thing I appreciate about Bielema is that he shoots straight with his players. He could have lied to BM as some have suggested and kept him around in case BA got hurt. I'm glad he didn't even if it hurt the team.

Arkansas had a coach who lied to his players. I don't want to go back to that.

jkstock04

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on July 28, 2014, 09:28:18 am
This recruiting class will fall apart if we can't get to a bowl this season.
Regardless of win/loss total we will recruit below average compared to the rest of the SEC. Always have.

I'm on board with the long term fix stuff cause I have no other choice. Can this staff develop a qb? According to Biggus this offensive system/scheme is highly complex...I guess we will see what happens with that in the coming years. I'm actually optimistic about Robb Smith and the defense.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HF#1

Quote from: GuvHog on July 28, 2014, 10:48:22 am
Very well until he was injured. He was their starter from day 1.

Go look at what he did on the field and come back and tell me you still think he would have made a difference....
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 28, 2014, 11:25:08 am

Bielema told reporters in his post spring presser that BM could continue to compete for the starting job in August but he wanted him to take reps at receiver where he could really help the team.

Before they could talk BM started telling his teammates that he had no intention of taking reps at WR.

One of the seniors (I never learned who) went to Bielema and told him that Mitchell was openly complaining and it was starting to become a problem.

Bielema called him in and from their conversation it was clear that BM wanted no part of being a receiver. In fact he wanted to know where he stood on being the starter at QB. At that point Bielema offered to help him transfer.

One thing I appreciate about Bielema is that he shoots straight with his players. He could have lied to BM as some have suggested and kept him around in case BA got hurt. I'm glad he didn't even if it hurt the team.

Thanks Mike, that should put this issue to bed for good, I hope.
Go Hogs Go!

bigbadhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on July 28, 2014, 11:25:09 am
Regardless of win/loss total we will recruit below average compared to the rest of the SEC. Always have.

I'm on board with the long term fix stuff cause I have no other choice. Can this staff develop a qb? According to Biggus this offensive system/scheme is highly complex...I guess we will see what happens with that in the coming years. I'm actually optimistic about Robb Smith and the defense.

I agree, I am happy with the direction of the defense but very concerned about the offense.  I like what Chaney has done in the past but not sure where it is headed for us...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Kevin

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 28, 2014, 10:51:25 am
Most coaches will tell you that the spread is the easiest offense to teach. That's one of the reasons it's so popular on the college level where coaches have limited practice time with their players. The other is that fans tend to like it.

So why don't most NFL teams run it?

Because with talented, experienced and well coached players a pro-style offense is harder to defend.

so coach football is doing the same thing that coach basketball is doing, dumb it down to the lowest form.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Jamie Jones

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 28, 2014, 08:31:34 am
By the way -- Look at the first half of our schedule. Auburn, Nicholls State, Texas Tech, Northern Illinois, Texas A&M. The only good defense in the first five opponents = NIU. Auburn would be a reach regardless, but there are some aspects that make will make the game close. T-Tech has an awful run defense. TAM was terrible on defense a year ago.

It's possible we could fare better in the first five games than the last seven (Alabama, Georgia, UAB, Mississippi State, LSU, Ole Miss, Missouri). But our Oline ought to be ready for prime time by midseason.

I'm looking forward to a season in which our football team shows some of the qualities that will become the hallmarks of Razorback football.
I agreed with your OP, but this one is the best one. I'm never going to come in here pumping sunshine or bashing. I get the big picture. I support Coach Bielema and his staff. And my predictions are predicated on all things being equal. If BA stays healthy, I honestly think we go bowling. But, by the same token, I will never approach a Saturday with a defeatist attitude. There are plenty of reasons that we SHOULDN'T win, but as long as the Hogs suit up and play the games, I will believe they are going to win. When I quit believing, I'll quit watching. (i.e. Dallas Cowboys & Texas Rangers)
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Kevin

i don't want a flash in the pan program. i want it to be built to last & sustain some problems that may happen.

not fall apart at, some unforeseen problem.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The Hogfather

Quote from: Jamie Jones on July 28, 2014, 11:46:28 am
I agreed with your OP, but this one is the best one. I'm never going to come in here pumping sunshine or bashing. I get the big picture. I support Coach Bielema and his staff. And my predictions are predicated on all things being equal. If BA stays healthy, I honestly think we go bowling. But, by the same token, I will never approach a Saturday with a defeatist attitude. There are plenty of reasons that we SHOULDN'T win, but as long as the Hogs suit up and play the games, I will believe they are going to win. When I quit believing, I'll quit watching. (i.e. Dallas Cowboys & Texas Rangers)

We were a few plays away from bowling last season.  There's no way we should've been in that game with LSU at the end of the season, but we really should've won it.

We are getting a bunch of teams replacing their QB and we get some of our tougher games at home (which should give us a better chance of beating someone we shouldn't).

I think we can win 7 if someone takes over at center and BA stays healthy.  I really like our new defensive staff and the approach they are taking.  The offense should be better this year, simply because we have better WRs and most of the guys have a year under their belt in the Chaney system, which takes time to master.

gohogs1969

That was an excellent post. I hardly ever post myself, but after reading that I felt myself shaking my head yes after every paragraph. I am an alumni of both the U Of Arkansas and Fayetteville High. It troubled me greatly to see BA struggle last year. I am not gonna compare the two QB's at all but AJ Mcarron (spelling) sucked in his first year as a starter. Could not even get out of his reads on several occasions. Then he became a "care taker" qb, then he became a Heisman candidate. It just takes a while to develop in an offense like the Hogs and bama use. If Allen can mature into a care taker who isn't fazed by large road crowds and SEC defenses, our defense makes strides and can get off the field on 3rd down, and our players from 1-85 improve and continue to buy in, then this team has a real shot at 6 wins and a bright future.

IntegrityHog

Jamie Jones

The complexity of the offense is based on the easiness of the spread. In other words, compared to the prairie dog spread offense, Chaney runs a very complex pro style that takes more time to learn. It doesn't allow for the offense to line up and wait for the coach to spell it out from the sidelines. This is why I posted, a few weeks ago, that our new DC with an attacking style, would allow for a better chance at the upset on August 30. Once the read is made on the sidelines and the play is signaled in, a changing alignment or attacking blitz could be totally disruptive to a qb and his offense that are dependent on the HC or OC over there on the sideline. Contrast that with a qb and offense that have the ability to audible out of a bad play. Even our OL have learned or are learning "Hognese". They are not simply going to be able to muscle their way around, they are going to be able to outsmart the opposition. 
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

PonderinHog

I agree with the long-term plan.  It makes sense.  In the mean time if this year's team will play like a bunch of angry hogs, we may shock some people.  This ain't rocket surgery.  Fundamentals will take us a long way - this year.

ifghog

You are right for the most part here. We have to see this rebuilding all the way through. We can't after three years start completely over. If it doesn't work after the 5 yr term. Then we can say without a shadow of a doubt we need to run some form of a spread to compete. Be it GM 's or BP's more pro spread. I want to win today but...it would be detrimental to change after 2 years as long as we are improving. I am not going to argue what that is...I have my own opinion...and frankly that is all that matters.

ifghog

WilsonHog

Some of y'all are gonna have to help me understand something.

Because Coach Bielema made some comments last season about how good the 2013 team might be, y'all seem willing to allow that to serve as a foundation for how long he has to turn it around here....regardless of what your eyes and ears tell you and what the common sense of the matter would seem to dictate.

Can you explain to me how that position is grounded in reality?

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: Redhogs on July 28, 2014, 10:01:00 am
How far our expectations have fallen......reasoned or not....very sad.

That's what happens after Bobby "The Program Killah" Petrino runs everything into the ground.

Now, I agree with the first post in this thread: foundational rebuilding takes time.  How much is debatable but last year's results are not an albatross, they were a foregone conclusion.

jabohog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 28, 2014, 08:22:50 am
Well, that's exactly why I wrote this. Tell me, what troubles you most? What varies most from your expectations?
This is what I always hoped Nutt would try to do, at least in the OL and DL. It's kind of the Nebraska approach back when Osbourne was coach only he recruited top 10. I can handle the rebuild. What troubles me is the turnovers and not just turning it over but at the worst times. The penalties at the worst times, although I think that got better as the year wore on. Big plays against the defense and none by us. Most of all I will be watching to see if the "Here we go again" attitude pops up when something bad happens. This team seemed to fall apart at times when the afore mentioned mistakes took place. That is what I will be watching for as improvement this season. That alone could have possibly added a couple more wins last season. Icing on the cake would be a better passing game, little better running game and better defense, this team might actually suprise some folks. Oh, and we could use all the help we can get from the special teams, especially the return game.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Kevin on July 28, 2014, 11:45:45 am
so coach football is doing the same thing that coach basketball is doing, dumb it down to the lowest form.

Uh, not following you.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Tick Hog on July 28, 2014, 09:59:46 am
Question for Biggus Piggus. First let me say that I agree with you on most your points and will agree that BB can and will win when he gets a team of 4 th and 5 th year guys. That's the way we will counter the the recruiting disadvantage. I've seen it said that this offensive concept is a lot more difficult to grasp then GM's or even Petrino's. I just don't know how anyone could back up that claim. I think the reason those schemes work faster is because they have the best in the business teaching them. By the way this is the best thread I've seen in a while

Petrino's system worked much better in year three than it did in year one. This system is not more complex than Petrino's was. It worked as well as Petrino's would have - without a healthy QB and without good talent at the receivers.

The system is harder to learn than Malzahn's because so many players have to make the right decisions to execute each play. Malzahn uses a few sets and works a lot of options off them. This offense will use a lot of formations. Players at each position have different pieces of the puzzle to learn. Put them together, you get literally hundreds of different plays.
[CENSORED]!

hogfan10

[/quote]

Wow, was that a shot at Gus? I would have never expected that from you!

GuvHog

Quote from: Piggfoot on July 28, 2014, 11:02:25 am
Wait a minute. You're saying that Bielema knew mitchell was going to transfer if he announced Allan the starter and Mitchell The backup?

Yes.

hogfan10

Quote from: jabohog on July 28, 2014, 01:06:41 pm
This is what I always hoped Nutt would try to do, at least in the OL and DL. It's kind of the Nebraska approach back when Osbourne was coach only he recruited top 10. I can handle the rebuild. What troubles me is the turnovers and not just turning it over but at the worst times. The penalties at the worst times, although I think that got better as the year wore on. Big plays against the defense and none by us. Most of all I will be watching to see if the "Here we go again" attitude pops up when something bad happens. This team seemed to fall apart at times when the afore mentioned mistakes took place. That is what I will be watching for as improvement this season. That alone could have possibly added a couple more wins last season. Icing on the cake would be a better passing game, little better running game and better defense, this team might actually suprise some folks. Oh, and we could use all the help we can get from the special teams, especially the return game.

Nutt was too insecure to ever take the time to develop a player. That's why once Stoerner graduated, we never had a passing quarterback again. So, we/he settled for the quick fix approach.

fakebobholt

As in society, everything is a now world. The main argument that will be thrown around, especially if Ol Piss has a good season is using them as an example.  Ol Nutter left them devoid of talent and they didnt do so bad last year. If they continue to win amd its another 2-3 years before we are competitive the natives will be restless. Someone on here posted in one of the threads debating how long coach is given andwhat our record needs to be pretty much summed it up. If year 3 we are a 6-6 team then yhe lack of butts in the seats is what will do coach in.

GuvHog

Agreed, Arkansas had a coach who lied to his players and I don't want another one.

IMHO CBB should have started BM and made it his to lose while getting BA ready to be the starting QB this year. That way he would've had 2 experienced QBs on campus rather than just 1.

Chief Mac

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

three hog night

Quote from: GuvHog on July 28, 2014, 02:32:18 pm
Agreed, Arkansas had a coach who lied to his players and I don't want another one.

IMHO CBB should have started BM and made it his to lose while getting BA ready to be the starting QB this year. That way he would've had 2 experienced QBs on campus rather than just 1.

You just don't get it.  BM was not fully capable of this offense and it was clear during the smile regime as well. 
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

MS_HogFan

Is having such a complicated system a good idea at the college level?

You can do all the things you mentioned with regards to building depth and relying on 4th and 5th year players without having a system that is so hard to learn.
SOOIE

GuvHog

July 28, 2014, 02:45:57 pm #82 Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:56:47 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: three hog night on July 28, 2014, 02:36:38 pm
You just don't get it.  BM was not fully capable of this offense and it was clear during the smile regime as well. 

I disagree.

The JLS year was just a wasted year for the whole team PERIOD due to inept coaching..

Killean

Arkansas consistently produces excellent linemen and running backs.

Obviously we should be running an offense based on linemen and running backs.

We're going to be good on both sides of the line and for a long time with the way that Bielema coaches.  That will win a lot of football games.  I think everybody is freaking out a little bit too much.  We were a bad break away from a 6-6 season LAST year and this team is better than that.  Our schedule is brutal but we'll have a lot of fun football games to watch.

We also have a coach who isn't going to recruit a bunch of people who are going to go out and drastically increase the crime rate in Fayetteville, which is kinda nice.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

twistitup

Yeah, by design. Quick turnarounds are for losers...
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Deep Shoat

Quote from: twistitup on July 28, 2014, 02:57:29 pm
Quick turnarounds, by definition, mean you create an unsustainable system.

Between JuCo's, grade risks, and other people's problem players, you are going to fall back to earth pretty quickly.

Building from the ground up with high character kids means sustainability.
All Gas, No Brakes!

RexMentor

Great thread and I agree with BP. Look at it this way, if it were a house being built, you wouldn't be surprised at how ugly the foundation work looks. You wouldn't expect much after it was framed in. You only begin to get a feeling of how good it's going to look when it's in the dry. And on the day you move it, it's all ooohhhs and ahhhs.
Most coaches and nearly all fans live in season-tight compartments. But it takes a lot of time to build any program capable of long-term, consistent success. I have been very impressed with this staff's ability to recruit even though they have no long term record of success at Arkansas. When they do, the recruiting will be sufficient for competitiveness in the SEC.
We're not there yet. But have some patience. The signs point to success coming, as BP pointed out in his original post.
As Confucious said, every journey begins with a single step. And, you takes steps one at a time.

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: twistitup on July 28, 2014, 02:57:29 pm

Name the last sustainable turnaround in this program. Let's have some quality, above .500, consistency for a while and see what happens next.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Country Stylz

What worries me about Chaney was his offenses at Tennessee when he had 3 NFL wr's and an NFL offensive line basically.. They put up passing numbers but were very inconsistent and went away from the run. It wasn't a championship type offense in my opinion. I hope that isn't the offense we are expecting here.

GuvHog

Quote from: Country Stylz on July 28, 2014, 03:25:13 pm
What worries me about Chaney was his offenses at Tennessee when he had 3 NFL wr's and an NFL offensive line basically.. They put up passing numbers but were very inconsistent and went away from the run. It wasn't a championship type offense in my opinion. I hope that isn't the offense we are expecting here.

Arkansas has a LOADED backfield this year so going away from the run would be committing suicide. I don't see that happenin'.

twistitup

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 28, 2014, 03:01:17 pm
Quick turnarounds, by definition, mean you create an unsustainable system.

Let's not act like last years record helped BB's future sustainability in ANY way...I don't see where wins hurts a turnaround even if they come through juco players.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Mike Irwin

Quote from: GuvHog on July 28, 2014, 02:45:57 pm
I disagree.
I'm sorry that Bielema and Chaney didn't consult with you before deciding that Brandon Allen was ahead of Brandon Mitchell but the fact is that was their decision and something that Bobby Petrino had also decided the previous spring.

Regardless, the notion that a coach would start what he believes to be his number two quarterback so that quarterback won't leave the team is bizarre.

Oklahawg

Quote from: twistitup on July 28, 2014, 03:52:48 pm
Let's not act like last years record helped BB's future sustainability in ANY way...I don't see where wins hurts a turnaround even if they come through juco players.

I think you missed one of BPs major premises: the system is designed to be a slow-build. It is complex and at some point, quick-fix options only postpone the "finally got there" moment. JUCO transfers better be immediate upgrades that allow younger players to develop and mature. They buy time in the system these days.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hogpkins

July 28, 2014, 04:03:26 pm #93 Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:14:22 pm by Shoatysmalls
Quote from: jabohog on July 28, 2014, 01:06:41 pm
Most of all I will be watching to see if the "Here we go again" attitude pops up when something bad happens. This team seemed to fall apart at times when the afore mentioned mistakes took place. That is what I will be watching for as improvement this season. That alone could have possibly added a couple more wins last season.

Good point. I commented many times as last season wore on that our football team demonstrated the most fragile psyche. I guess it was understandable considering what all they had endured in the prior 18 months. Based on CBB's comments during pressers, CBB was very aware of it too and was doing everything he could to try to heal the team mentally.

I think this also explains part of CBB's pre-season public statements that we were ready to compete right away. Complainers want to hold that against him, but I think he would have been stupid to take the other approach and say our team was not going to be any good his first season. That would have been the last thing our TEAM needed to hear (yeah, I don't care what some group of fans needed to hear).

Ultimately, for most of the season our team still folded whenever it met adversity, whether it was late in the first quarter or the third quarter. This was most obvious in the middle of the season when we would hang with teams like Florida until one bad thing happened and then it quickly became a rout.

We didn't fold against LSU, though. Competed until the very end. That was a display of growing mental maturity and strength, and I expect it to be much better this year. I sure hope so. I don't want anymore "here we go again" feelings either.

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: Shoatysmalls on July 28, 2014, 04:03:26 pm
Good point. I commented many times as last season wore on that our football team demonstrated the most fragile psyche. I guess it was understandable considering what all they had endured in the prior 18 months. Based on CBB's comments during pressers, CBB was very aware of it too and was doing everything he could to try to heal the team mentally.

I think this also explains part of CBB's pre-season public statements that we were ready to compete right away. Complainers want to hold that against him, but I think he would have been stupid to take the other approach and say our team was not going to be any good his first season. That would have been the last thing our TEAM needed to hear (yeah, I don't care what some group of fans needed to hear).

Ultimately, for most of the season our team still folded whenever it met adversity, whether it was late in the first quarter or the third quarter. This was most obvious in the middle of the season when we would hang with teams like Florida until one bad thing happened and then it quickly became a route.

We didn't fold against LSU, though. Competed until the very end. That was a display of growing mental maturity and strength, and I expect it to be much better this year. I sure hope so. I don't want anymore "here we go again" feelings either.

Nice observation. The team was fragile.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Oklahawg

I saw a team that took it personally that they had a rough middling third of the season. They got a lot better the last third of the season.  If the staff can (by and large) keep the trajectory moving forward we should see real, meaningful progress by November. The MS State/OM/Missouri part of the schedule could set up nicely for us, or be quite unkind. UA only controls half of that equation.

I also see a team that was a few breaks away from a lot better record in 2013, and the prognostications for 2014 seem predicated on those breaks continuing to work against UA.

Few have mentioned in the past 8 months a simple fact: it is rare for a first-year SEC QB to win big. McCarron, Manziel, Newton and Marhsall did it. All had some rather amazing pieces around them. The second year for a QB is always much, much better. Give BA a second run through the SEC before we make pronouncements about his relative merits. Depth at QB is a silly issue, honestly - if you lose a starter in the SEC things are supposed to get dark and ominous at 10 of the 14 schools. The caveats about health are meaningless, as a result - virtually every school needs to keep the starter on the field when the game is in question or they are going to lose.

The offense was inert last year, post-injury. What happens when ONE element gains some traction? Maybe it's an improved and more diverse running game. Maybe it's an upgrade at TE and WR. Maybe it's a more mature OL. Maybe it's improved QB play. Even fewer penalties and turnovers could be the catalyst that improves everything else.

I'm not talking about a night/day transformation - I am looking for something small, or incremental. We were not far from beating several teams last year - where is the minimal improvement that turns those near-misses into a win in 2014? I don't think it is as much as many suspect. Improvement in one area should begat improvement in others. Who or what becomes the catalyst?

The biggest demon is mental - how long until the players actually expect to win a close one they are predicted to lose?

Sorry for the "unbridled" (actually, rather muted) optimism. Six wins is not undoable - no one predicts it because it requires unhitching expectations from 2012 and 2013. Once the players show they can do it once they will do it again.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogfan10 on July 28, 2014, 02:20:19 pm

Wow, was that a shot at Gus? I would have never expected that from you!

???  Facepalm.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on July 28, 2014, 04:12:03 pm
Nice observation. The team was fragile.

Part of CBB's "smack talking" was about getting the players to acquire some swagger, to see the coaches believing in them.

Ben Zander: "It's one of the characteristics of a leader that he not doubt for one moment the capacity of the people he's leading to realize whatever he's dreaming."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on July 28, 2014, 02:45:57 pm
I disagree.

So BP thought Mitchell was his #2 and Chaney also thought he was his #2, so a two part question here Guv.

1. How many future NFL QB's have those two coaches worked with in college?

2. How many college QB's have you evaluated in helping them get to the NFL?

I'm just saying, whose judgement do you trust? Experienced guys who have actually been there, or yourself?

Come on Guv, reality is pleading with you to sniff an Am-Cap.
Go Hogs Go!

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 28, 2014, 04:17:13 pm
Part of CBB's "smack talking" was about getting the players to acquire some swagger, to see the coaches believing in them.

Ben Zander: "It's one of the characteristics of a leader that he not doubt for one moment the capacity of the people he's leading to realize whatever he's dreaming."

And the players are, by all accounts, doing right and working it. Can't argue the results.