Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

By design, not a quick turnaround

Started by Biggus Piggus, July 28, 2014, 08:12:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogpkins

Gus isn't the first coach who came to my mind when reading Irwin's post. I doubt he was talking about Gus.

Atlhogfan1

He was talking about Dale.  Frank I may have to resume my vacation from this place for another month.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogfan10

Quote from: Shoatysmalls on July 28, 2014, 04:44:35 pm
Gus isn't the first coach who came to my mind when reading Irwin's post. I doubt he was talking about Gus.

I'm quite certain he was referring to Nutt.

Pig Worshipper

One of my biggest expectations for the team this year is that we won't be so "fragile" psychologically. I think we will accomplish that this year, that the team will be very hungry and win around six games.

Excellent thread, by the way.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: hogfan10 on July 28, 2014, 04:47:45 pm
I'm quite certain he was referring to Nutt.

Then why the Frank did you post the previous comment?

bp

lumphog

Great discussion BP, you nailed it. I think we have the right man running things, and it took awhile for that to sink in. CBB is building a program that when it starts winning it'll keep winning. Love this staff & we'll see how good a coach CBB is this year by the performance of the defense. And, I believe Chaney will be key to our success. He building a monster offence that will be hard to stop & once he gets it pumping, will draw bigtime recruits.....The future is bright.

Chief Mac

Bielema has a solid plan, whether he executes it or not is yet to be seen.  I do know I'm tired of our football program's rollercoaster years.  IF Bielema's implementation works, we will have fewer valleys like the past two years
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: hogfan10 on July 28, 2014, 02:20:19 pm

Wow, was that a shot at Gus? I would have never expected that from you!

How long have you been around here? How long have you been a hog fan?

Everyone and their dog knows who Mike is referring to....

I like Gus but his mouthpieces like you are doing him zero favors.

PRJ

bigbadhog

Quote from: Zeke__in__KC on July 28, 2014, 12:52:24 pm
That's what happens after Bobby "The Program Killah" Petrino runs everything into the ground.

Now, I agree with the first post in this thread: foundational rebuilding takes time.  How much is debatable but last year's results are not an albatross, they were a foregone conclusion.

The last game BP coached we beat a top ten team and finished the season ranked 5th in the country.  Jeff Long and his boy (JLS) ran everything into the ground...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

hoglady

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on July 28, 2014, 04:50:49 pm
One of my biggest expectations for the team this year is that we won't be so "fragile" psychologically. I think we will accomplish that this year, that the team will be very hungry and win around six games.

Excellent thread, by the way.

Yes.
I'm a big supporter of Brandon and think he's much better than he showed last year. But he's got to be a real LEADER this year. When the going gets tough and we get some bad breaks, we can't fall apart. Got to pick yourself up and go again with confidence.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogfan10 on July 28, 2014, 02:20:19 pm

Wow, was that a shot at Gus? I would have never expected that from you!
What's the point of the question if you're going to make that assumption without an answer.

No, Malzahn wasn't the coach I was referring to.

But then again maybe you don't like Malzahn and were being sarcastic. There is no body language on the Internet. Unless you use those little icons at the top of the page it's hard for me to know what you meant.

bigbadhog

Quote from: RandomFan on July 28, 2014, 09:06:53 pm
Oh yes, b/c any rational person would have kept an employee who did the things Petrino did, long as they won them some football games.

Switzer won a few games at OU and his time in Norman made BP look like a virgin choir boy...

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 28, 2014, 09:20:24 pm
Switzer won a few games at OU and his time in Norman made BP look like a virgin choir boy...

If you play the emulate-Switzer card then I know you are not an Arkansas fan. Nobody even said it back then.
[CENSORED]!

bigbadhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 28, 2014, 09:35:55 pm
If you play the emulate-Switzer card then I know you are not an Arkansas fan. Nobody even said it back then.

I never said emulate Switzer - just making a point about winning.  Its ironic what happened to the Kansas and T Tech programs after firing successful innovative coaches and then we follow in their footsteps.  Right or wrong, JL gave us a self-imposed death penalty and hitched our wagon to a semi-successful 10 big coach for the next decade...

TNRazorbacker

I honestly don't expect much this year. I couple more wins and a clear indication we are improving would suit me.  More than anything i 'd just like to see us be competitive in all our games. I'd like to feel like we have a shot going into all of them. That will at least keep the season interesting. Its hard to stay energized observing beatdowns week after week.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 28, 2014, 09:02:17 pm
The last game BP coached we beat a top ten team and finished the season ranked 5th in the country.  Jeff Long and his boy (JLS) ran everything into the ground...

You very conveniently forget that JLS is practically BPs godfather and adopted child.  A fixture in the Petrino coaching family.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

PonderinHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 28, 2014, 04:14:25 pm
Who or what becomes the catalyst?

Excellent post.  I hope it's our linebackers.  I hope they play with controlled anger this year.  They have a good line in front of them.  We could do some damage.

razorbackkid

Going to be an interesting year on Hogville.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

redeye

bruisemeister

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 28, 2014, 08:52:47 am
1. Why do you ask about five years? 2. Wisconsin took this exact path. Barry Alvarez's first three teams went 1-10, 5-6 and 5-6. Year four, national coach of the year.

And they have been a consistent winner ever since.

Oklahawg

Your eye doctor must have made a mint on his publications regarding your unique "vision".
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Peter Porker

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 28, 2014, 09:47:33 pm
I never said emulate Switzer - just making a point about winning.  Its ironic what happened to the Kansas and T Tech programs after firing successful innovative coaches and then we follow in their footsteps.  Right or wrong, JL gave us a self-imposed death penalty and hitched our wagon to a semi-successful 10 big coach for the next decade...

It's bothersome that you refuse to look at Petrino's poor recruiting as why we have won 7 games the last 2 years. The talent on the "21-5" was never replaced by equal or better talent.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

three hog night

Are you testing Lanny with this bunch of crap?   
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

three hog night

Jeff Long, JLS and BB had to live with what BP left after harleygate.   BP won from his first 2 recruiting classes and the bare cupboard was exposed when they graduated.  JLS was not a good coach but too much of the blame was placed at his feet for his season.   JLS had to pick up the pieces of a psych ward posing as football players.   All caused by BP's actions and drama.   I'm not sure Saban could have salvaged much from that season.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

Chief Mac

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on July 28, 2014, 08:56:15 pm
How long have you been around here? How long have you been a hog fan?

Everyone and their dog knows who Mike is referring to....

I like Gus but his mouthpieces like you are doing him zero favors.

PRJ

this
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Hog N Bama

Quote from: gohogs1969 on July 28, 2014, 11:57:50 am
That was an excellent post. I hardly ever post myself, but after reading that I felt myself shaking my head yes after every paragraph. I am an alumni of both the U Of Arkansas and Fayetteville High. It troubled me greatly to see BA struggle last year. I am not gonna compare the two QB's at all but AJ Mcarron (spelling) sucked in his first year as a starter. Could not even get out of his reads on several occasions. Then he became a "care taker" qb, then he became a Heisman candidate. It just takes a while to develop in an offense like the Hogs and bama use. If Allen can mature into a care taker who isn't fazed by large road crowds and SEC defenses, our defense makes strides and can get off the field on 3rd down, and our players from 1-85 improve and continue to buy in, then this team has a real shot at 6 wins and a bright future.
Agree. AJ McCarron was indeed a care taker QB, but not Heisman material. Not even close.

three hog night

Quote from: Peter Porker on July 29, 2014, 04:52:50 am
It's bothersome that you refuse to look at Petrino's poor recruiting as why we have won 7 games the last 2 years. The talent on the "21-5" was never replaced by equal or better talent.

You brought fact and reason to the party....

BorderPatrol

I want to publicly apologize to Guv and FCJ. I have been wrong this whole time.

bighadhog has them both beat as the most ignorant person allowed to have internet access....

Sorry guys.

bp

Piggfoot

Quote from: GuvHog on July 28, 2014, 02:21:28 pm
Yes.
You've breathed too much formaldehyde. There is absolutely no way you can know the context of the conversation between Coach Bielema and Mitchell.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

VT HOG

Why does everyone on here blame the coaches or players that are not longer here.

Last year was Chris Ash's fault and the losses are on Bobby P. Doesn't make sense to me. Y'all will turn on Bielema the second he's gone.

Peter Porker

Quote from: VT HOG on July 29, 2014, 08:50:28 am
Why does everyone on here blame the coaches or players that are not longer here.

Last year was Chris Ash's fault and the losses are on Bobby P. Doesn't make sense to me. Y'all will turn on Bielema the second he's gone.

Because many realize a good college team now was built on recruiting from 3-5 years ago. The same goes with a bad team.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 28, 2014, 04:22:47 pm
So BP thought Mitchell was his #2 and Chaney also thought he was his #2, so a two part question here Guv.

1. How many future NFL QB's have those two coaches worked with in college?

2. How many college QB's have you evaluated in helping them get to the NFL?

I'm just saying, whose judgement do you trust? Experienced guys who have actually been there, or yourself?

Come on Guv, reality is pleading with you to sniff an Am-Cap.

Since Chaney raved about BM all spring I find it hard to believe he was Chaney's #2. I really believe CBB overruled Cheney in making BA the starter.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: RandomFan on July 28, 2014, 09:06:53 pm
Oh yes, b/c any rational person would have kept an employee who did the things Petrino did, long as they won them some football games.

That's correct. A good AD doesn't fire a coach who just led his team to a top 5 finish because of a lie, He punishes him with suspension and a fine then moves on. What BP did was wrong but his offense did not merit termination. Do you honestly believe the AD at Bama would have fired Saban for telling a lie right after his team won a national title???
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 10:28:18 am
Since Chaney raved about BM all spring I find it hard to believe he was Chaney's #2. I really believe CBB overruled Cheney in making BA the starter.
Again, New York Jets Michigan State University.

HoopS

ChauvinistPig

Biggus makes a good case for the direction of our program. I am excited to see the Razorbacks grow into a powerhouse. However, I dont think it will take the players 3 and 4 years to learn the system...possibly to master it, but not learn it. All the starters should be very comfortable on offense this year. We have some studs on our team and everyone is going to be very hungary this year. I think the desire to win will push us through to victory on some games. The guys will play a little harder in the 4th quarter.

I think we will have a real shot at beating Auburn right out of the gate. Even if we lose the game, I think we will be very competitive and can build upon that going forward. We don't have the luxury of cupcake wins to start the year. Our guys must be ready in about 30 days. This will prove to our advantage as we win 4 of our first 5 games. The Hogs go bowling this year. Book it.

Snortingred1

Quote from: VT HOG on July 28, 2014, 08:52:04 am
He's never given these excuses. He said he was going to win right away. Another thing, how hard is it going to be to recruit after another bad season and then you tell them Arkansas is two years from being two years away?
He said he wants to win right away.  What coach doesn't?  Just trying to give some context.  I think he's a billy bad ass.

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2014, 10:36:33 am
Again, New York Jets Michigan State University.

LMAO! That one took me a second.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

hogsanity

I don't find the OP depressing at all, I find it encouraging to know we have a coach committed to building a program, not a building a one hit wonder.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Chief Mac

given your history of what you believe and don't believe, it is not suprising that you believe your twisted logic

hogsanity

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on July 29, 2014, 11:27:55 am
given your history of what you believe and don't believe, it is not suprising that you believe your twisted logic

what I find hard to understand is why so many people continue to cry over a 5th yr Sr that was never any coaches choice to be the starting QB, not BP, not JLS, and not BB. I guess he had the unfortunate luck to be coached by 3 guys who all were out to get him and keep him on the bench. 

IF I were a HC coming into a total rebuild, the last thing I would do would be give snaps to a guy that was only going to be there one year, a year in which his presence MIGHT have meant 1 more win, but would also have delayed the development of guys that the program was going to be relying on for 3 or 4 years after he was gone.

People were under the delusion that BM was some sort of hybrid QB that they imagined him running some version of some offense they saw somewhere and they thought it was cool, probably the local pop warner league where they had it to the big fast kid and let him run around. 

What people fail to remember is that BP had pretty much named BM as 3rd string in the spring of 2012, before the accident, behind TW AND BA. That is why he was playing receiver in 2012.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

July 29, 2014, 12:28:38 pm #142 Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:39:03 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: MS_HogFan on July 28, 2014, 02:40:20 pm
Is having such a complicated system a good idea at the college level?

You can do all the things you mentioned with regards to building depth and relying on 4th and 5th year players without having a system that is so hard to learn.

Now THAT is a good question. Especially when if you are a football coach you must think there is a really good chance a TOP recruit and player may only be with you three years. That being said Chaney has been successful with his offense even with some bad defenses wearing the same uniform.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: razorbackkid on July 28, 2014, 11:18:22 pm
Going to be an interesting year on Hogville.

I'll probably have a heart attack!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hog Fan n Tx on July 28, 2014, 08:38:07 am
Is there an example of a team that has taken this path in the past and been successful?  Do you think CBB will be given 5 years to show results?

Michigan State.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Inhogswetrust

If I rave over my wife's chicken and dumplings that doesn't mean someone else doesn't make them better and given a choice I'd prefer the other one's.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BorderPatrol on July 29, 2014, 07:41:30 am
I want to publicly apologize to Guv and FCJ. I have been wrong this whole time.

bighadhog has them both beat as the most ignorant person allowed to have internet access....

Sorry guys.

bp

I'm sure with the season approaching they will have every opportunity to regain the title.................................

sportster365

Look Biggus, no one's buying the latest excuse from the Hill ~ this new "our offense is so complex" idea. 

If it were by design no to be a quick turnaround, then why did CBB come out and say repeatedly that last year was not a rebuilding year. That he had too many seniors on the roster, he clearly came in expecting to make a bowl game. I mean he welcomed being picked last and acted as if he were going to upstage everyone that voted him there. He compared his Big 10 record with Saban and made claims about coming to win the SEC before he ever played one SEC game.

This guy had no intention on this being a lengthy process by "design"...no way. This is Bret Bielema we're talking about.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 29, 2014, 12:38:00 pm
I'm sure with the season approaching they will have every opportunity to regain the title.................................

There are many challengers.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

EastexHawg

I don't understand the theory that any particular type of offense or system is "built to last" while others, including those that are currently experiencing success, are flashes in the pan or doomed to failure.

Spurrier dominated the SEC during the 90s with the Fun n Gun.  Saban (both at LSU and Bama) and LSU have dominated the SEC the last few years with ground and pound style systems.

Oregon has been successful for how many years now?  They're not in a traditional recruiting hotbed and they weren't a program with a lot of tradition when they started winning.

I don't think any particular system causes winning.  I think excellent coaches who are able to recruit and develop outstanding players win.  I think the teams we all like to cite that win big year after year with "traditional" systems do so mainly because their coaches have a talent and strength advantage and turning the game into a full frontal assault allows them to take advantage of that manpower superiority.  The more pronounced their physical advantage, the closer to the vest they can play it.

I think going forward the question will be can Arkansas recruit, develop, and benefit from manpower superiority vis a vis our competition.