Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

By design, not a quick turnaround

Started by Biggus Piggus, July 28, 2014, 08:12:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Bret Bielema and staff have been saying it from the beginning. Our hundreds of conversations over the past 18 months showed that none of us got it. We continue to talk about subjects that show we do not get it.

Here are some facts that, if we accept them, will help guide our discussions on Hogville.

1) The Malzahn-vs.-Bielema arguments are natural, for reasons other than what you believe. Malzahn teaches a system that is easy to put in, makes it easy for newcomers to play. Bielema believes in a different style and hired a pro to rebuild the Arkansas offense. They don't come out and say it, but in truth, Arkansas was destined to be very limited on offense last season. They literally could not prepare more than one QB to be even close to ready to play. When Brandon Allen got hurt, it was disastrous. Jim Chaney's offense has complexity to it, once he can rely on receivers to make reads and react the way they are supposed to react. People say "ZOMG Auburn was THIS and Arkansas was THAT," and we all should say, "Duh." It's what we signed up for. The offense wasn't going to work well. It is designed to require years of learning.

2) We could grouse about why Jeff Long chose a coach with this kind of system, when we could have had someone who would put in a spread offense and look much better right out of the gate. Well, in theory, Arkansas can be much better in the long run with a system designed to develop more players, more patiently. It is the most intelligent way to combat opponents who are always going to get more of the best young talent.

If anything, I find fault with how poorly the University of Arkansas athletic department has marketed its new football coach and his long-term plan. Their marketing has pressed boosters on the need to give more now, spend now. They really needed to give people more economic incentive to attend games when the team wasn't going to be very good. We have angry, disenchanted people because they expected more, sooner. And they shouldn't have.

Very few fans understand what we have in progress. The cornerstone of this team over the long term will be an ever-present group of third-, fourth- and fifth-year players, recruited on potential, slotted to roles, developed in an awesome strength and conditioning program. Arkansas will wear down opponents, by putting powerful players on the field at almost every position. Long term, this is the perfect kind of system for Arkansas. It was destined to look ugly in the first year. It won't be so badly broken, but it won't look pretty in the second season. Come year three, we will begin to see the virtues of long-term investment in player development.

3) The offense still will be limited this season. At times, the offense will look too vanilla. It will be scaled back to what the team can execute well. The more experience everyone has with this scheme, the better they will get. We're at an uncomfortable time in the transition. Fourth- and fifth-year players are hardly more experienced in this system than the young ones are. Their value is diminished because of that. Young players might get to start simply because they're more talented + if we're going to be starting from scratch, might as well give the best young ones that experience. By the time the veterans got it - if they ever did - they would be done.

That means the Arkansas roster, as inconsistent as it is, is functionally even less than it appears. I know - the hard part for the impatient is to believe in the idea that the team is going to improve each season. About 70% of the Hogville noise comes from people who want to take a couple of data points and leap to a dire conclusion. They can't understand how a team can be any good in the future after starting so poorly.

Well - nobody was going to tell us - but we were destined to start out slow. Being so bad at the QB position made it worse. Here we were in an offense that depended on executing on a lot of details, and our only usable QB was hurt and not practicing.

4) By definition, this offensive scheme puts young players at a serious disadvantage when it comes to the pursuit of playing time, with the exception of tailbacks. Stop talking about some new quarterback coming in and deserving to start. It is not going to happen. Putting a green quarterback at the head of this offense would defeat all the progress that the rest of the team has made. If a QB wants to play early at Arkansas, he had better be brilliant, with an outstanding work ethic. If Matt Jones came in today, he would be a wide receiver from day one.

Arkansas's coaches plan to give senior transfer Cameron Jefferson and junior college transfer Sebastian Tretola opportunities to start at center or left guard. Both will be tried at each position. Freshmen might enter the two-deep, and - need be - they would become more viable options to start in the second half of the season. The transfers already have played in FBS programs. They have a major advantage over the freshmen.

5) Once again, Arkansas's upside scenario rests on the health and performance of Brandon Allen. If he does not cut it, the alternatives are not going to fix anything. This is the main reason why no fan has any business predicting that this football team will win a lot of games in 2014. Many variables would have to fall in our favor, and some of those are longshots. Allen has to play like a veteran, and he has to stay healthy.

6) Bielema is not totally uncompromising. He recognized that his initial defensive staff did not fit the situation. Robb Smith and Clay Jennings were brought in to change the style. It is tilted more to action than to reaction. Opponents will have to make more difficult plays to succeed. The easy stuff will not be there anymore. Last year's defense was worse than it should have been. This season, if anything is going to go right, it will be defense.
[CENSORED]!

McKdaddy

I like CBB, still support his hire, but found this post to be a downer. I'm expecting 5-7 for '14, but feel like that is a reach after reading your commmentary, BP. Additionally, it stinks to think we couldn't have a backup ready if BA gets hurt.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 28, 2014, 08:19:51 am
I like CBB, still support his hire, but found this post to be a downer. I'm expecting 5-7 for '14, but feel like that is a reach after reading your commmentary, BP. Additionally, it stinks to think we couldn't have a backup ready if BA gets hurt.

Well, that's exactly why I wrote this. Tell me, what troubles you most? What varies most from your expectations?
[CENSORED]!

three hog night

BP this is exactly what needs to be said.   Once again, you write a stellar post that is realistic and based on knowledge and rational thought.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 28, 2014, 08:19:51 am
I'm expecting 5-7 for '14, but feel like that is a reach after reading your commmentary, BP.

By the way -- Look at the first half of our schedule. Auburn, Nicholls State, Texas Tech, Northern Illinois, Texas A&M. The only good defense in the first five opponents = NIU. Auburn would be a reach regardless, but there are some aspects that make will make the game close. T-Tech has an awful run defense. TAM was terrible on defense a year ago.

It's possible we could fare better in the first five games than the last seven (Alabama, Georgia, UAB, Mississippi State, LSU, Ole Miss, Missouri). But our Oline ought to be ready for prime time by midseason.

I'm looking forward to a season in which our football team shows some of the qualities that will become the hallmarks of Razorback football.
[CENSORED]!

Hog Fan n Tx

Is there an example of a team that has taken this path in the past and been successful?  Do you think CBB will be given 5 years to show results?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 28, 2014, 08:31:34 am
By the way -- Look at the first half of our schedule. Auburn, Nicholls State, Texas Tech, Northern Illinois, Texas A&M. The only good defense in the first five opponents = NIU. Auburn would be a reach regardless, but there are some aspects that make will make the game close. T-Tech has an awful run defense. TAM was terrible on defense a year ago.

It's possible we could fare better in the first five games than the last seven (Alabama, Georgia, UAB, Mississippi State, LSU, Ole Miss, Missouri). But our Oline ought to be ready for prime time by midseason.

I'm looking forward to a season in which our football team shows some of the qualities that will become the hallmarks of Razorback football.

And NIU lost every starter on their D-Line and 2 starters in the Secondary (also all of their two-deep at FS and one CB position). Could they still play good defense? Sure they could, but it would seem that they have some ground to make up on defense as well.
Go Hogs Go!

McKdaddy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 28, 2014, 08:22:50 am
Well, that's exactly why I wrote this. Tell me, what troubles you most? What varies most from your expectations?

I'm not exactly sure what to pinpoint, BP....a cloud of semi-depression (not depression, but I can't think of the right word) settled over me after reading it. Why? I kept waffling between 4 & 5 wins for this '14 season over the last couple of months, but finally settled on 5 as a brief exhibition of of positivity (something I don't normally do, ha/ha). As I said above, after reading your thoughtful commentary (which I appreciate), 5 wins seems awfully optimistic.

The most concerning thing is that I REALLY would like to think we could have an effective backup QB ready. I would think that would be imperative of any program and its coaching staff, realizing, however, that sometimes it does not happen.

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Cure

Anybody who would've done their research on Bielema would know that he builds programs to maintain competitiveness from the ground up. He didn't have to do that necessarily in Madison, but he recruited for his personnel to be blossoming as juniors/seniors. He's the right man for the Arkansas job, just not as flashy as people wanted.

He will get it done at Arkansas.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

hoglady

If this staff isn't putting a competitive bowl team on the field within the next 2 years - recruiting will be in the toilet.
I just don't think you can take 4 to 5 years in the SEC to start seeing results, recruiting against the winners is difficult enough.
I guess we'll know in about 5 years.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 28, 2014, 08:42:55 am
I'm not exactly sure what to pinpoint, BP....a cloud of semi-depression (not depression, but I can't think of the right word) settled over me after reading it. Why? I kept waffling between 4 & 5 wins for this '14 season over the last couple of months, but finally settled on 5 as a brief exhibition of of positivity (something I don't normally do, ha/ha). As I said above, after reading your thoughtful commentary (which I appreciate), 5 wins seems awfully optimistic.

The most concerning thing is that I REALLY would like to think we could have an effective backup QB ready. I would think that would be imperative of any program and its coaching staff, realizing, however, that sometimes it does not happen.

By the second half of the season, I hope they will be solid at backup QB. Don't believe we would have a very good one in September.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hoglady on July 28, 2014, 08:46:02 am
If this staff isn't putting a competitive bowl team on the field within the next 2 years - recruiting will be in the toilet.
I just don't think you can take 4 to 5 years in the SEC to start seeing results, recruiting against the winners is difficult enough.
I guess we'll know in about 5 years.

When you are developing a lot of players for 3+ seasons, recruiting is a different process. That said - nothing here says it is going to take four to five years. Year three ought to be pretty good. Year two, we need some breaks.
[CENSORED]!

VT HOG

He's never given these excuses. He said he was going to win right away. Another thing, how hard is it going to be to recruit after another bad season and then you tell them Arkansas is two years from being two years away?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hog Fan n Tx on July 28, 2014, 08:38:07 am
Is there an example of a team that has taken this path in the past and been successful?  Do you think CBB will be given 5 years to show results?

1. Why do you ask about five years? 2. Wisconsin took this exact path. Barry Alvarez's first three teams went 1-10, 5-6 and 5-6. Year four, national coach of the year.
[CENSORED]!

alwaysnextyear

I'm just hoping somehow, some way we get to 6 wins. This fanbase needs it. Beat a UGA at home, aTm in Dallas. Something.

three hog night

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 28, 2014, 08:31:34 am

A&M has had a disastrous off season on defense.   The losses will be filled by talented yet inexperienced players.  Early in the season, they will be worse than last year.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Anybody on July 28, 2014, 08:51:53 am
You also state that the system is designed where the third, fourth, and fifth year players have time to learn CBB's complicated system.

No. You are getting confused. You mashed together two separate issues.

The developmental system takes players who need time to develop and develops them. Super-talented players are ahead of the curve. They do not need as much physical development to be ready to play. The advantage of this system is it takes players who are easy to recruit - but after several years have a physical edge over most of the competition. And you get depth.

The offense needs experienced players at certain positions, and it asks quite a bit of the tight ends and wide receivers. It was not going to be very flexible in year one, no matter what. This season, if we can keep our best on the field, the offense should work OK especially in the first half of the season. Second half, our Oline should be more consistent, but the opposition gets tougher.

Year three, we'll have a pretty large group of juniors and seniors + our first set of third-year sophomores raised entirely in this system. That will be the first time that the Razorback roster will have a majority of players who have been in the developmental system multiple years. Then the system begins to show the advantages of consistency.

The separate subject of the offense -- We'll have plenty of experience at every position. Main question I have is whether the talent level at QB will be good enough. But the running game should be good enough to carry the team in most games.
[CENSORED]!

ArkansasI

Spot-freaking-on.

Sustained success at Arkansas requires a long-term plan and investment.  This is hard to endure in today's microwave society. 

As a middle-aged guy, I am painfully aware of time... 3-6 years pass quickly.  I am going to try to enjoy this time as a Razorback.  I certainly look forward to stepping off the roller-coaster that has wreaked havoc with my emotions for the last 10 years.  With patience, the next decade may offer a much smoother ride.

Our young fans are decidedly less patient.  They will likely view this period as an eternity.  It's not.

An objective view of the football program shows us that this staff is assembling a group of players that will begin to recruit themselves.  It's is refreshing to see that talented out-of-state (and even out-of-country) recruits are being lured to Arkansas.  They appear happy to be here.  They will help make the Razorback program something others will want to be part of...

Short of a DT or two and perhaps a MLB, the foundation appears to have been poured. Perhaps we should enjoy the build. 

Atlhogfan1

As I said last week, I'm ready for an Arkansas coach to finally build a program with a sustainable foundation again.  Thanks for posting this Biggus. The current staff appears to be the best we have had since the late 70's. 

1)  Something to note with Malzahn's best AU offenses, they had veteran offensive lines with former highly rated recruits with a number of starts.  I felt bad for Chaney last season.  He was in an impossible position as a coordinator and playcaller after Allen hurt his shoulder. 

2)  I don't believe our fan base as a whole would listen even if the program had better marketing. 

3)  This is a reason I don't care about a win total right now.  Do what is best for the program long term. 

4)  This may not help in recruiting the prima donnas especially at wr.  But our program hasn't had much success in recruiting those anyway.  Find intelligent players who are mature enough to know they will be developed into effective college football players if they put in the work.

I don't know if Bielema will win at Arkansas.  I'm concerned our fans don't understand the rebuilding job he faces just as he didn't understand what he was getting himself into when he took this job.  But I feel good about what is being done to set our program up for long term competitiveness with some success.  The only time we have been close since Broyles was destroyed in December 1997. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

JIHawg

This OP is something I have been thinking but couldn't put into words.  It's the Nebraska approach to building a program.  Stanford also comes to mind.  Most SEC teams find it easier to recruit than Arkansas due to location.  For Instance, look at Auburn-very close to Atlanta, in Alabama, and close to Florida.  Those coaches could have an annual top ten recruiting class just mailing it in, going through the motions.

To counter this, Arkansas needs to be putting 3rd through 5th year jrs and srs on the field to go against those top rated recruiting classes.

Can this formula be successful in this day and age?  We're fixing to find out.

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 28, 2014, 09:06:48 am
No. You are getting confused. You mashed together two separate issues.

The developmental system takes players who need time to develop and develops them. Super-talented players are ahead of the curve. They do not need as much physical development to be ready to play. The advantage of this system is it takes players who are easy to recruit - but after several years have a physical edge over most of the competition. And you get depth.

The offense needs experienced players at certain positions, and it asks quite a bit of the tight ends and wide receivers. It was not going to be very flexible in year one, no matter what. This season, if we can keep our best on the field, the offense should work OK especially in the first half of the season. Second half, our Oline should be more consistent, but the opposition gets tougher.

Year three, we'll have a pretty large group of juniors and seniors + our first set of third-year sophomores raised entirely in this system. That will be the first time that the Razorback roster will have a majority of players who have been in the developmental system multiple years. Then the system begins to show the advantages of consistency.

The separate subject of the offense -- We'll have plenty of experience at every position. Main question I have is whether the talent level at QB will be good enough. But the running game should be good enough to carry the team in most games.
Who is going to play LB and DB?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: 870hogfan on July 28, 2014, 08:56:02 am
I guess he should've just said no we are going to suck right away....

This. Where should the bar be set? You don't know whether anyone on the roster will rise to the challenge until you challenge them.
[CENSORED]!

three hog night

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on July 28, 2014, 09:09:04 am
Who is going to play LB and DB?

Our secondary is going to be 2 deep and much better.   Yes the LB's are a big question mark.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: JIHawg on July 28, 2014, 09:08:52 am
This OP is something I have been thinking but couldn't put into words.  It's the Nebraska approach to building a program.  Stanford also comes to mind.  Most SEC teams find it easier to recruit than Arkansas due to location.  For Instance, look at Auburn-very close to Atlanta, in Alabama, and close to Florida.  Those coaches could have an annual top ten recruiting class just mailing it in, going through the motions.

To counter this, Arkansas needs to be putting 3rd through 5th year jrs and srs on the field to go against those top rated recruiting classes.

Can this formula be successful in this day and age?  We're fixing to find out.

Arkansas cannot simply try to match the rest of the SEC in recruiting. It needs something more. The Hogs will get some high-rated talent too, but the swings of in-state talent are wider than anywhere else. We can wait for in-state talent to have some bumper crops, or we can focus on player development to carry us.
[CENSORED]!

ImHogginIt

Quote from: LRRandy on July 28, 2014, 08:40:36 am
No. He was bragging about winning before last season started. Sit back and watch. Remember that. There was not big talk about a 6 year plan. Just big talk about besting Alabama. He then proceeded to take a knife to a gun fight.

I'm a Hog fan and I like Bielema. He did say all those things and built up our expectations prior to last season and did it after he saw what talent he had in Spring of 2013. So it does trouble me some when our media and some respected posters like Biggus seem to be in full excuse making mode and wanting us to be patient for several years.

I'm defenitely wiling to be patient but I expect 6 wins and a crappy bowl this year. Anything less and it will be hard to get me back on the Bielema bus.  :razorback:

three hog night

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 28, 2014, 09:16:47 am
I'm a Hog fan and I like Bielema. He did say all those things and built up our expectations prior to last season and did it after he saw what talent he had in Spring of 2013. So it does trouble me some when our media and some respected posters like Biggus seem to be in full excuse making mode and wanting us to be patient for several years.

I'm defenitely wiling to be patient but I expect 6 wins and a crappy bowl this year. Anything less and it will be hard to get me back on the Bielema bus.  :razorback:

He didn't see our talent against SEC competition until the season started.  Granted our talent looked better than he had at times at Wisky but....this is the SEC.  He got slapped with SEC reality and what the talent level REALLY was.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Anybody on July 28, 2014, 08:51:53 am
You are doomed as a team if you only have one QB that can play.  Injuries in the SEC, or in football for that matter, are just too prevalent. A sub on the bench is only one play away from being a starter the next week.  For player depth, see Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc.  Arkansas is typically only one or sometimes two deep at each position.  Better recruiting is paramount.  Winning and going to bowl games usually helps a lot.

You also state that the system is designed where the third, fourth, and fifth year players have time to learn CBB's complicated system.  The great players are long gone to the NFL and other leagues by that time.  You don't have that luxury of time, and fans wants to win now - see Auburn.  They proved that a team CAN turn it around in one season...with a good quality coach.  I know that Gus Malzahn is a great an innovative coach, but half of the Razorback fans are so blind to the Houston Nutt/Frank Broyles debacle (job protection), that they never believed the truth regarding Nutt's ego and the need to get ALL of the credit for the success of the football team.  What could have been...

GO HOGS 2014 !   

You stated the obvious in your first paragraph.

Players can't go to the NFL until after their third season. 

Was Nutt a good quality coach?  Terry Bowden?  Larry Coker?  A team can win immediately after a coaching change if the team has the talent to do so.  Nutt won at Arkansas because he was left as complete of a team as we have had along with our 2010 team since we joined the SEC.  His positive used car salesman attitude helped as well.  As far as AU, there is a correlation between Bowden and Malzahn - Pat Dye and AU's way of doing things in recruiting.  AU recruits well and has recruited very well before Malzahn returned.  Big difference in what we have done even with a couple of seasons of success.  The quick turnaround was never going to happen at Arkansas. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 28, 2014, 09:16:47 am

Excuse-making mode? Good lord. Talk about completely missing the point. I don't care about what you would like. This is what is coming. You've already decided you won't be happy. Go do something else for a year. You will be better off.

The Hogs can do 6-6 if a number of unlikely things fall our way. But you should care more about whether you see signs of what they are trying to put in place. If you can see the direction - can see where we're going to finish - why fixate on this year's record? Why does that matter so much to you?

The way you put it, I should have written, "Arkansas is building season by season, working toward the day when it is going to have a consistent flow of depth and experience. But that future won't matter if the Razorbacks don't go 6-6 in 2014."

Because why? The mad people will get madder? I already don't like the mad people.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

I don't get the fixation on a win total before the season.  After the season I get.  If after this season, we look back and see a season where teams like OM, A&M, MSU and Mizzou collapse for whatever reason and are awful and we still lose to most of them in spite of having BA healthy all season, I get fans being upset over the win total.  If the win total should have been 6 and ends up 3, okay then bitch.  But this is a long term process right now for a number of reasons most of which aren't the current staff's fault yet. 

Again, I'm good with this staff and program right now.  But my faith in this working is greatly diminished by our fans.  I don't think the fan base has the mental capacity, self awareness of what our program is or patience to see this through if it doesn't go perfectly or even ahead of schedule. 

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on July 28, 2014, 09:28:18 am
This recruiting class will fall apart if we can't get to a bowl this season.

Why?  These recruits can't play in it.  Aren't they signing on to develop in the program and win in the future? 

JIHawg

Call it excuse making, but a hurt quarterback with no backup is disaster.   The wheels fell off at Rutgers.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: JIHawg on July 28, 2014, 09:40:42 am
Call it excuse making, but a hurt quarterback with no backup is disaster.   The wheels fell off at Rutgers.

Yes it was.  Rugby punting for a second straight time when we had control of the game after the one before went the wrong direction and was nearly a disaster didn't help.  What does this have to do with the discussion?  Are you upset Austin isn't better at this point? 

scruf

Quote from: three hog night on July 28, 2014, 09:13:40 am
Our secondary is going to be 2 deep and much better.   Yes the LB's are a big question mark.

However, across the boards, our LBs are taller and heavier (closer to "SEC-size") than we've ever had since joining the league. This includes incoming freshmen and the JUCO transfer.

DoctorSusscrofa

All the talk is meaningless. We're a little over 30 days from what's not meaningless. I enjoyed reading the OP and all the fussing back and forth, but when it comes right down to it none of us really knows what will happen in the first 2 games (1 against a quality opponent and 1 against a more traditional weaker opponent) this year or future years. I'll keep reading people's fantasies, but I'm ready for the season.  Somebody's fantasies are going to turn out to be unlucky guesses and somebody's will turn out to be lucky guesses. We'll see who's who next month.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Hoggish1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 28, 2014, 08:12:31 am

6) Bielema is not totally uncompromising. He recognized that his initial defensive staff did not fit the situation. Robb Smith and Clay Jennings were brought in to change the style. It is tilted more to action than to reaction. Opponents will have to make more difficult plays to succeed. The easy stuff will not be there anymore. Last year's defense was worse than it should have been. This season, if anything is going to go right, it will be defense.

I appreciate your analysis.  But it all boils down to No. 6.  This is where I expect real help in year two.  I also think an emphasis on the kicking game will help this team as much as a D with an attacking philosophy.

Redhogs

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on July 28, 2014, 09:28:18 am
This recruiting class will fall apart if we can't get to a bowl this season.
CBB has already said that recruiting this year has been tougher than last due to our 3-9 record...to think that another poor season record this year will not affect this next class in the end is delusional. Fall apart who knows, but affected...yes.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

The Hogfather

I still say if Brandon Allen stays healthy, we go 7-5 this season.  Of course, I guess I'm assuming we find someone who can play decently at the center position as well.  I'm hoping it is Jefferson.

If Jefferson can play well at the center spot and Allen stays healthy for the entirety of the season, I think we'll surprise some people.

I completely agree that the Arkansas program has to make up ground on the Bama's and LSU's by redshirting or at least getting in a position where we have solid upperclassmen manning key positions, while the powers of the SEC are replacing 8-9 guys departing to the NFL with true freshmen/sophomores.  We HAVE TO get "diamonds in the rough" and develop them.  We are NEVER going to be able to recruit better than the powers of the SEC.

If we don't get to 7-5 this year, I'm not going to be upset.  I understand that 7-5 is a bit optimistic.  I can't wait for us to start winning again.  I think Bielema will get us there and sustain it.

onebadrubi

Something else to consider here.  Remember when Coach herb first got here how awful the conditioning was?  The nutrition plan was awful, workouts were getting lackluster at best, etc.  just in the S&C program we should see a HUGE leap this season.  That I fully believe will help the ball bounce out way once maybe even twice! 

I agree with Biggus as much as I want to win now.  Bielema is doing good things everywhere in the program.  Hard to not like the guy when his GPa is higher than ever, kids are not in trouble, doing things outside of football that are noteworthy.  This will win you a mom or two in the recruiting process! 

Keep in mind, Bielema see's one game right now, Auburn.  Not NIu, not A&M, not bama.  A little over 30 days from now we will kick off in one of the hottest football games of the NCAAF season.  Truly anything could happen, Marshall cramp up, Their line cramps up, etc.  we play this game for a reason, we are talented compared to the other 115 schools outside the SEC, we are not going to go down looking.

Tick Hog

Question for Biggus Piggus. First let me say that I agree with you on most your points and will agree that BB can and will win when he gets a team of 4 th and 5 th year guys. That's the way we will counter the the recruiting disadvantage. I've seen it said that this offensive concept is a lot more difficult to grasp then GM's or even Petrino's. I just don't know how anyone could back up that claim. I think the reason those schemes work faster is because they have the best in the business teaching them. By the way this is the best thread I've seen in a while

Redhogs

How far our expectations have fallen......reasoned or not....very sad.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Peter Porker

July 28, 2014, 10:04:41 am #39 Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:34:44 am by Peter Porker
Quote from: Tick Hog on July 28, 2014, 09:59:46 am
Question for Biggus Piggus. First let me say that I agree with you on most your points and will agree that BB can and will win when he gets a team of 4 th and 5 th year guys. That's the way we will counter the the recruiting disadvantage. I've seen it said that this offensive concept is a lot more difficult to grasp then GM's or even Petrino's. I just don't know how anyone could back up that claim. I think the reason those schemes work faster is because they have the best in the business teaching them. By the way this is the best thread I've seen in a while

http://youtu.be/I5rP8-pkMX8
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Piggfoot

Quote from: LRRandy on July 28, 2014, 08:40:36 am
No. He was bragging about winning before last season started. Sit back and watch. Remember that. There was not big talk about a 6 year plan. Just big talk about besting Alabama. He then proceeded to take a knife to a gun fight.
Yes he over estimated the talent level he inherited based on the known reputation of BP as a coach. By the way he overestimated BP's ability as a Head Coach. I don't think he had any idea how poor a recruiter Petrino was who thought because he came from the pros that players would be screaming to play for him. And they did for one year.
He also did not consider that the only QB we had would suffer an injury that ruined our season.
But you go ahead and overlook those things and spew your negative viewpoint.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

GuvHog

Quote from: three hog night on July 28, 2014, 09:19:17 am
He didn't see our talent against SEC competition until the season started.  Granted our talent looked better than he had at times at Wisky but....this is the SEC.  He got slapped with SEC reality and what the talent level REALLY was.

Granted, he didn't see our talent against SEC opponents until the season started but to say he didn't know what the talent level was is being disingenuous. He had almost an entire off season with the team so he knew full well what the talent level was. CBB is a good coach and will get things turned around but the fact is, he shot his mouth off when he shouldn't have.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Redhogs on July 28, 2014, 10:01:00 am
How far our expectations have fallen......reasoned or not....very sad.
This is an ignorant statement.  I don't know of any Hog fans who are ok with losing.  Most are looking for 8 wins as our floor type of coaching. 

Just because some of us are smart enough to recognize you need to build a foundation in order to achieve that and are willing to give a coach the time to do so doesn't mean we have low expectations.
All Gas, No Brakes!

GuvHog

Quote from: Piggfoot on July 28, 2014, 10:27:18 am
Yes he over estimated the talent level he inherited based on the known reputation of BP as a coach. By the way he overestimated BP's ability as a Head Coach. I don't think he had any idea how poor a recruiter Petrino was who thought because he came from the pros that players would be screaming to play for him. And they did for one year.
He also did not consider that the only QB we had would suffer an injury that ruined our season.
But you go ahead and overlook those things and spew your negative viewpoint.

Yes, he did. He knew full well that was a possibility when he put all of his eggs in one basket and let Brandon Mitchell transfer. That move came back to haunt him BIG TIME.

HF#1

I've said it since he was hired.  This is a 4-5 year rebuild. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Piggfoot

Quote from: GuvHog on July 28, 2014, 10:37:43 am
Yes, he did. He knew full well that was a possibility when he put all of his eggs in one basket and let Brandon Mitchell transfer. That move came back to haunt him BIG TIME.
He did not LET Brandon Mitchell transfer. Mitchell told him that if he was not the starting QB he wanted to transfer. Bielema could not assure him of that request or demand.
Mitchell made the decision.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

HF#1

Quote from: GuvHog on July 28, 2014, 10:37:43 am

How did Mitchell do at NC State Guv? 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

GuvHog

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 28, 2014, 10:46:05 am
How did Mitchell do at NC State Guv? 

Very well until he was injured. He was their starter from day 1.

Mike Irwin

July 28, 2014, 10:51:25 am #48 Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:29:09 am by Mike Irwin
Quote from: Tick Hog on July 28, 2014, 09:59:46 am
Most coaches will tell you that the spread is the easiest offense to teach. That's one of the reasons it's so popular on the college level where coaches have limited practice time with their players. The other is that fans tend to like it.

So why don't most NFL teams run it?

Because with talented, experienced and well coached players a pro-style offense is harder to defend.

three hog night

Quote from: Piggfoot on July 28, 2014, 10:44:10 am
He did not LET Brandon Mitchell transfer. Mitchell told him that if he was not the starting QB he wanted to transfer. Bielema could not assure him of that request or demand.
Mitchell made the decision.

Guv is brain impaired so fact and reason don't count for him.