Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who wants Mike Irwin to write a book on Hog history!?

Started by Steef, July 28, 2014, 07:53:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

If Mike wrote a book on everything he's seen, would YOU buy a copy? Would you read it?

Yes. I'd probably buy several and give them to friends.
117 (74.1%)
No. I never learned to read and Mike isn't going to use crayons for me.
41 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 158

Steef

1. Has seen a LOT of inside stuff.
2. Actually knows how to write.
3. Orville is gone...or we could have TWO books.
4. Isn't Robert Shields or Nate Allen.

For the love of Hog, Mike!.....?

MDW

I'd be among the first in line to buy one.  With his years of experience covering the program and the insight he has, it would be a fascinating read.  If you only see him on TV, you don't get the depth of what a treasure he is, and I really mean that.  Sound bytes only go so far.  I love to hear him tell stories on the radio and read his posts here.  He's also an excellent writer, so a book would be a natural.

I'm definitely with you in wanting that book. 

JIHawg

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

McKdaddy

Quote from: MDW on July 28, 2014, 08:48:52 am
I'd be among the first in line to buy one.  With his years of experience covering the program and the insight he has, it would be a fascinating read.  If you only see him on TV, you don't get the depth of what a treasure he is, and I really mean that.  Sound bytes only go so far.  I love to hear him tell stories on the radio and read his posts here.  He's also an excellent writer, so a book would be a natural.

I'm definitely with you in wanting that book. 
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Professor Psychosis

I'd buy one, but I've also been thinking that he kind of writes the book for us here on Hogville for free every day!

Still, though, I'd love to have his take on all of the major events in Razorback history during his time covering them in one convenient book format.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: steefhog on July 28, 2014, 07:53:43 am

I would absolutely buy that book. Come on, Mike, that would be a great read. Waiting to retire? ;) I think I could understand that and maybe also understand why you would wait.
Go Hogs Go!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on July 28, 2014, 09:07:35 am
I'd buy one, but I've also been thinking that he kind of writes the book for us here on Hogville for free every day!

Bingo. Why would you want to pay when it's free?

I don't like the people who publish books. They have formulas and editors and deadlines. By the time they get through with what you write you didn't write it. They did.

Grizzlyfan

Actually I just want Mike Irwin to go on the Tulsa Sports Animal radio show and shut Pat Jones the f up when he starts talking about Nutt, Mustain, Broyles, etc.  I have never heard a more uninformed person talk any subject.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on July 28, 2014, 10:26:41 am
Actually I just want Mike Irwin to go on the Tulsa Sports Animal radio show and shut Pat Jones the f up when he starts talking about Nutt, Mustain, Broyles, etc.  I have never heard a more uninformed person talk any subject.
If Dave Wannstedt can't shut Pat Jones up I wouldn't stand a chance.

Steef

chitwnhog

I have been asking for this book to be written for what seems like forever.

Dwight_K_Shrute

A pictorial history of that hair would be a great coffee table book. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HF#1

I've learned more from Mike since he has been posting here than I have from any Razorback outlet.  He's the sole reason I log into this site anymore.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

fakebobholt

The next 2-3 years could be a major part of that book. I think its going to dictate the next decade or so of our program depending which way things turn out.

rusvegashog

hoghearted

I think it would be a wonderful read, and very enlightening.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

HVHog

Quote from: steefhog on July 28, 2014, 07:53:43 am

The Title could be "Miked Up" or "All Miked UP"  or Hog Miked UP.... LoL!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rusvegashog on July 28, 2014, 03:52:45 pm
Chapter 12 "Play more golf".

Wasn't that Frank's book title ?

Seroiusly though I know a couple of media people that are known in Arkansas but I don't know Mike. The one's I know could write some things in books that they have NEVER published or said for the public as a part of their jobs and that would embarrass or make some peoples hair stand on end and other things that would cause former players, coaches and admins to never talk to them again. I've said this on here before, media people do know some things that they will not tell in public. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 28, 2014, 10:24:50 am

I don't like the people who publish books. They have formulas and editors and deadlines. By the time they get through with what you write you didn't write it. They did.

Having represented authors, especially celebrity memoirs, for many years, I was going to explain why writing a book isn't all it's cracked up to be.  First, it's a LOT of work.  Second, the pay is not good unless your name is Grisham or Rowling.  Third, what you said.

It is nice of you to share, though, given that you write for a living. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

BrianWPS!!

I only read books with pictures sooooo. . . . . whaddya say mike?

Pickwick Hog

July 28, 2014, 05:09:31 pm #22 Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:20:42 pm by Pickwick Hog
Who is Mike Irwin?  Is he as good as Robert Shields?
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

MuskogeeHogFan

July 28, 2014, 05:18:57 pm #23 Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:48:10 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 28, 2014, 10:29:45 am
If Dave Wannstedt can't shut Pat Jones up I wouldn't stand a chance.

How could you, when Pat thinks that by virtue of his experience, he knows it all?

Now that being said, Pat has a lot of interesting stories, but he doesn't allow anyone to have thier own opinion or even use his own experience to help callers understand why they might be wrong, because he thinks that anyone not named Pat Jones, doesn't know shiznik and isn't worth his time. He's a lightning rod, which may help their ratings, though he comes off as being very smug to me, many times.

I like your style Mike. You might not agree with someone but at least you attempt to educate folks, based on your experiences and knowledge base, before dispatching those who have unrealistic or inaccurate viewpoints of their version of "how things actually went down".

Keep up the good work and one day, despite the potential interference of publishers, try to write that book. It would be an instant Arkansas classic.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig Worshipper

Nowadays, you don't even need a publisher for a book like that. Write it exactly like you want it, print up a thousand paperback copies and sell it through Hogville and local bookstores. Don't overprice them and I'm sure you would sell them all.

It doesn't have to be the next Huckleberry Finn. You do have a great deal of interesting stories and a nice, direct way of telling them. That would be just great!

CallThemHawgs!

jgphillips3

Okay, if not a book, how about a dedicated page on Hogville with mini novella type stories mixed in with quick hitters.  That way you don't have to sift through a million posts to get Mike Irwin golden nuggets.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on July 28, 2014, 05:45:17 pm
Nowadays, you don't even need a publisher for a book like that. Write it exactly like you want it, print up a thousand paperback copies and sell it through Hogville and local bookstores. Don't overprice them and I'm sure you would sell them all.

It doesn't have to be the next Huckleberry Finn. You do have a great deal of interesting stories and a nice, direct way of telling them. That would be just great!

No doubt...Robert Shields wrote a book about female masturbation or some such thing.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 29, 2014, 12:40:01 am
No doubt...Robert Shields wrote a book about female masturbation or some such thing.

It was a great coffee table conversation starter that time the Jehovah's Witnesses visited.

Razor6

Nothing but love for Mike Irwin!  Great journalist
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

chitwnhog

Quote from: Big Papa Satan on July 29, 2014, 12:54:15 am
It was a great coffee table conversation starter that time the Jehovah's Witnesses visited.

+1

Hog N Bama

Living in Alabama, I enjoy Hogville and Arkansas sports radio. It's my connection to the Razorbacks. Mike Irwin is my favorite journalist. Mike's no nonsense, straightforward, approach is refreshing in a journalism world of hype and ratings. I look forward to his input on the 93.3 radio show, the Razorback Nation report, and here on Hogville.  Keep up the good work Mike! Should you retire and write a book on the Hogs, it would surely be a "must read", no doubt. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Cinco de Hogo

I want SteefHog to write a book about "The Desperate Need For Linebackers at The University of Arkansas".

And I want a happy ending!

Doug

Quote from: Mike IrwinI don't like the people who publish books. They have formulas and editors and deadlines. By the time they get through with what you write you didn't write it. They did.
You need to go the route that steefhog did, or that I'm going. That way YOU get to control every aspect of it, from layout, design, content, edits AND publishing. Plus, you get to keep more of the profit that way. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 28, 2014, 10:24:50 am

Nonetheless, I would encourage you to write it, and I would buy it.

BorderPatrol

Steef

Quote from: Doug on July 29, 2014, 08:42:30 am
You need to go the route that steefhog did, or that I'm going. That way YOU get to control every aspect of it, from layout, design, content, edits AND publishing. Plus, you get to keep more of the profit that way. :)

This.

Write want you want. Publish electronically only.

If you need help with the electronic formatting, I will gladly do that for you.

Go out TODAY....and get a copy of Scrivener. Software for writers. Absolutely the best money you will ever spend.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Big Papa Satan on July 29, 2014, 12:54:15 am

Haha! Quite possibly the post of the Day!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MJ2

A book would be great, but isn't it interesting that we only hear the behind the scenes stuff after a coach or player is gone?  Obviously, the press has to limit what they release in order to keep the info coming, but it might be nice to know the real story while it's happening.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: MJ2 on July 29, 2014, 09:23:10 am
A book would be great, but isn't it interesting that we only hear the behind the scenes stuff after a coach or player is gone?  Obviously, the press has to limit what they release in order to keep the info coming, but it might be nice to know the real story while it's happening.

Mike hinted at things at the time, but the guy and the other reports like to eat have families to think about etc.  It's the companies they work for that should have the balls to be truly objective or even give editorial opinion that may not paint the coaches or program in a favorable light.

Best way to know if a coach will definitely be fired?  Wally Hall says something even remotely negative about the coach.  This doesn't mean that Wally thinks the coach should be fired it means he has already be told the coach is gone.

When did we start hearing all the bad stuff about Petrino and poor recruiting?  It wasn't when he was pulling in those last two classes.  It was long after he was gone and no one had to take a risk.  Then they come off as the Bielema excuse machine.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

MJ2

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 29, 2014, 10:11:09 am
Mike hinted at things at the time, but the guy and the other reports like to eat have families to think about etc.  It's the companies they work for that should have the balls to be truly objective or even give editorial opinion that may not paint the coaches or program in a favorable light.

Best way to know if a coach will definitely be fired?  Wally Hall says something even remotely negative about the coach.  This doesn't mean that Wally thinks the coach should be fired it means he has already be told the coach is gone.

When did we start hearing all the bad stuff about Petrino and poor recruiting?  It wasn't when he was pulling in those last two classes.  It was long after he was gone and no one had to take a risk.  Then they come off as the Bielema excuse machine.

On a related note, it seems that a LOT of the sports radio people in AR have a lot of negative things to say about CBB.    Does this mean that the movers and shakers already know this isn't gonna work out?

Hawg_Thai'd

Yes, a book would be good to read, but if I had my wish, it would be to have the ability to sit around at some tailgates or other BBQ setting having a cold one and listening to the stories he has. Nothing "on the record" just sitting and discussing some of the things that were and could have been.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: MJ2 on July 29, 2014, 10:59:17 am
On a related note, it seems that a LOT of the sports radio people in AR have a lot of negative things to say about CBB.    Does this mean that the movers and shakers already know this isn't gonna work out?

There are so many sports radio shows out there now that I don't think that is the case.  For one the season was so bad even worse than the John L season that the radio and others know that the fans aren't going to put up with straight sunshine pumping right now.  Most of the shows are caller driven so they pander a good bit too.  THE Paper though is still sunshine and lollipops rainbows and unicorns. 

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: MJ2 on July 29, 2014, 10:59:17 am

I don't know who you are listening to, but Bo Mattingly on The Ticket in NWA seems to really be a CBB fan! 

BorderPatrol

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on July 29, 2014, 02:55:12 pm
I don't know who you are listening to, but Bo Mattingly on The Ticket in NWA seems to really be a CBB fan!

He isn't listening to any of them. He just likes to bitch and make up things to go along with his bitching....

bp

Doug

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHogI don't know who you are listening to, but Bo Mattingly on The Ticket in NWA seems to really be a CBB fan!
Slow Dumbingly was and IS a Nutt Apologist, as well. I met him once. Instantly disliked him.

Then again, should anyone be surprised by the Kanye West of Arkansas Media? :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

SPAL

Quote from: Doug on July 29, 2014, 03:20:13 pm
Slow Dumbingly was and IS a Nutt Apologist, as well. I met him once. Instantly disliked him.

Then again, should anyone be surprised by the Kanye West of Arkansas Media? :)
Some folks have one world view, and see everyone and everything through that narrow lens.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: MJ2 on July 29, 2014, 09:23:10 am
I don't think reporters intentionally limit the behind the scenes stuff while it's happening. Mostly it's a matter of not knowing.

We usually aren't around for the behind the scenes stuff. We have to rely on sources to tell us. These people don't tend to talk unless the coach is on the way out.

At the 2012 Cotton Bowl Coaches Luncheon Petrino ducked out the back early. Several kids were out front where the team bus was. They approached Petrino for autographs. He didn't just just say, "no, no time," he was terribly rude to them with their parents watching nearby.

There were several other incidents like that. By the time the game was over Petrino had ticked off just about everybody on the Cotton Bowl Committee and many of the volunteer workers.

So John Engleman and I came back and talked about it. We got blasted as troublemakers.

When a coach is winning almost nobody wants to hear anything negative about him.

root_hawg

A book would be great but needs lots of pics and you need to write it slowly cause I can't read very fast....