Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bleacher Report Article

Started by -Blu, July 28, 2014, 12:15:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

July 28, 2014, 12:15:55 am Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:30:53 am by -Blu
This article was posted a couple of weeks ago, was reading some articles on that site and came across a little preview they gave on Arkansas and the rest of the SEC teams.  Biggest shocker on here to me is LSU is #8, I think that's outrageous.  Other than that predictions aren't too bad, and it gives some in-depth discussions of the teams and their roster and they actually give an explanation for the projections.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2126560-predicting-the-2014-15-sec-college-basketball-standings/page/10

They projects Arkansas to finish 3rd in the conference, with projected starting lineup of Jabril Durham, Rashad Madden, Michael Qualls, Alandise Harris, and Bobby Portis.

I think the surprise there is Jabril Durham, but from everything I've heard and read on how he's played so far, wouldn't be a shocker to me if he was starting.  Also, wouldn't be shocked if Portis and Kingsley started together as well, I heard Kingsley has been killing it in the scrimmages.

Also, they project us to be a #9 seed in NCAA tourney.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2136829-super-early-projection-for-the-2015-ncaa-tournament-bracket/page/5

The_Iceman

Ole Miss #4 and Auburn #5? Not sure about that.

Hawg Red

July 28, 2014, 11:48:24 am #2 Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:11:58 pm by Hawg Red
Quote from: The_Iceman on July 28, 2014, 08:36:59 am
Ole Miss #4 and Auburn #5? Not sure about that.

Very questionable.

UK-Florida-Arkansas-LSU-Georgia have to be the logical top 5.

rusvegashog

Auburn and South Carolina both have in my opinion really good coaches. SEC should be on an upswing. That being said by all accounts LSU should be right there and for the sake of the league need to be.

HawgAdvocate

Practically anything from Bleacher Report is questionable. In this instance some kid who has spent his life in Pennsylvania tries to predict the SEC. Wake me when someone with some experience covering the SEC puts something out that's worth reading. 

*yawn*
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Breems

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 28, 2014, 04:04:32 pm
Practically anything from Bleacher Report is questionable. In this instance some kid who has spent his life in Pennsylvania tries to predict the SEC. Wake me when someone with some experience covering the SEC puts something out that's worth reading. 

*yawn*

Quit being HawgAdvocate.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: -Blu on July 28, 2014, 12:15:55 am
This article was posted a couple of weeks ago, was reading some articles on that site and came across a little preview they gave on Arkansas and the rest of the SEC teams.  Biggest shocker on here to me is LSU is #8, I think that's outrageous.  Other than that predictions aren't too bad, and it gives some in-depth discussions of the teams and their roster and they actually give an explanation for the projections.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2126560-predicting-the-2014-15-sec-college-basketball-standings/page/10

They projects Arkansas to finish 3rd in the conference, with projected starting lineup of Jabril Durham, Rashad Madden, Michael Qualls, Alandise Harris, and Bobby Portis.

I think the surprise there is Jabril Durham, but from everything I've heard and read on how he's played so far, wouldn't be a shocker to me if he was starting.  Also, wouldn't be shocked if Portis and Kingsley started together as well, I heard Kingsley has been killing it in the scrimmages.

Also, they project us to be a #9 seed in NCAA tourney.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2136829-super-early-projection-for-the-2015-ncaa-tournament-bracket/page/5

Thanks for the info.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Breems on July 28, 2014, 06:14:15 pm
Quit being HawgAdvocate.

You're just mad that I never bought you lunch. You're a graduate now. Buy your own lunch. ;)
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Breems

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 28, 2014, 09:48:42 pm
You're just mad that I never bought you lunch. You're a graduate now. Buy your own lunch. ;)

This is true, although I don't have to buy my own lunch now. Wife makes it errrrrnight. Although, I guess I do buy it because I have to buy the food before she can cook it. Dang.

Ready for HA vs. the Dream Breems Team 2014-2015 edition? Bringing the heat this year.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Breems on July 28, 2014, 10:35:58 pm
Ready for HA vs. the Dream Breems Team 2014-2015 edition? Bringing the heat this year.

This year is such low-hanging fruit. Hah, I know it, & you know it.

That being said, I will be impressed if your Dream Team actually does you proud. The most recent batch of Jump Ball die-hards, for the most part, leaves a lot to be desired.

intelligence

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 28, 2014, 11:29:00 pm
This year is such low-hanging fruit. Hah, I know it, & you know it.

That being said, I will be impressed if your Dream Team actually does you proud. The most recent batch of Jump Ball die-hards, for the most part, leaves a lot to be desired.
s
your sentence structure leaves alot to be desired. 
side note: most of the posts here aren't even worth replying to. I don't know why you feed the trolls. You're like jumpballs version of Troll Foodstamps

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: intelligence on July 29, 2014, 01:54:59 am
s
your sentence structure leaves alot to be desired. 
side note: most of the posts here aren't even worth replying to. I don't know why you feed the trolls. You're like jumpballs version of Troll Foodstamps

I post the below image about once a year. It's fitting.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 28, 2014, 11:48:24 am
Very questionable.

UK-Florida-Arkansas-LSU-Georgia have to be the logical top 5.

LSU lost a lot of players from last years team so saying they are top 5 is seriously pushing it. 7th or 8th is probably about right.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 02:50:04 pm
LSU lost a lot of players from last years team so saying they are top 5 is seriously pushing it. 7th or 8th is probably about right.

They lost 4 players that were in the rotation. They lost other guys that weren't really that good. If we're going by just raw numbers, we lost 6 players from last year's team. Is is pushing it to have us 3rd?

Losing O'Bryant will hurt some, but it will likely allow for more growth for Jarell Martin. Lost Andre Stringer and Anthony Hickey, but they have a top JUCO player in Josh Gray coming in at PG and also have Tim Quarterman, who Hickey lost minutes to at the end of last year. They're gonna be okay just like we are despite the losses because they have most of the core talent returning.

intelligence

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 29, 2014, 02:35:31 pm

Heh, i don't get it. researching...

Edit: From the context, you would seem to be indicating that I'm following your lead or am leading someone down a bad path{possibly myself even?}. Other than that the only thing i found on the subject was a meme about an innapropriate subject and a wikipedia article. care to clear it up for me?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: intelligence on July 29, 2014, 10:12:37 pm
Heh, i don't get it. researching...

Edit: From the context, you would seem to be indicating that I'm following your lead or am leading someone down a bad path{possibly myself even?}. Other than that the only thing i found on the subject was a meme about an innapropriate subject and a wikipedia article. care to clear it up for me?

The pied piper's music = troll foodstamps

Like moths to a flame, they just can't help themselves.

intelligence

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 29, 2014, 10:26:21 pm
The pied piper's music = troll foodstamps

Like moths to a flame, they just can't help themselves.

oh lol, my apologies. Carry on

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 29, 2014, 02:58:25 pm
They lost 4 players that were in the rotation. They lost other guys that weren't really that good. If we're going by just raw numbers, we lost 6 players from last year's team. Is is pushing it to have us 3rd?

Losing O'Bryant will hurt some, but it will likely allow for more growth for Jarell Martin. Lost Andre Stringer and Anthony Hickey, but they have a top JUCO player in Josh Gray coming in at PG and also have Tim Quarterman, who Hickey lost minutes to at the end of last year. They're gonna be okay just like we are despite the losses because they have most of the core talent returning.

They lost 5 players. 4 in last years rotation and 1 who was expected to be a major part of the rotation possibly even start this season.

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on July 30, 2014, 10:23:25 am
They lost 5 players. 4 in last years rotation and 1 who was expected to be a major part of the rotation possibly even start this season.

Didn't we just lose 4 players out of our rotation with 1 a major part of the rotation?

They'll be okay. We'll be okay. Teams suffer losses. Hogs and LSU are on a similar trajectory. Both should be considered very strongly for the top 5 of the SEC this season. Jarell Martin + Jordan Mickey + Josh Gray alone is enough to make them worthy of top 5 consideration with Tennesse, Missouri and Ole Miss all likely to take a step back (maybe two steps back).

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 30, 2014, 12:30:06 pm
Didn't we just lose 4 players out of our rotation with 1 a major part of the rotation?

They'll be okay. We'll be okay. Teams suffer losses. Hogs and LSU are on a similar trajectory. Both should be considered very strongly for the top 5 of the SEC this season. Jarell Martin + Jordan Mickey + Josh Gray alone is enough to make them worthy of top 5 consideration with Tennesse, Missouri and Ole Miss all likely to take a step back (maybe two steps back).

Another factor that may have gone into that projection is Johnny Jones has underachieved with his rosters so far.  If you have a veteran NBA caliber center on your team, a veteran PG, and the #8 recruiting class in the nation in the "weak" SEC there's really no excuse for going 9-9 in conference.  I picked LSU last year to sweep us in my projection of our schedule, I thought they were stacked, and would compete in the top 3 or 4 in the conference.

And now that I think about it, it's not really that outrageous to assume a team that has underachieved each year, that's lost significant pieces to then again underachieve again.  Arkansas situation is different, nobody outside of razorback fans that watched the team thought we would be much better last season.  If you go by the coaches poll or the experts preseason rankings we've always overachieved according to them.   With that said I hope LSU is good, like us, when LSU is good and playing to their potential it makes the SEC more interesting and looked upon in a brighter light, because they have the potential to be an elite basketball program, the same as us.

Hawg Red

Again, Missouri, Tennessee and Ole Miss aren't likely to be anywhere near as good this season as they were last and I don't see really any other schools poised to leap frog LSU. LSU will be in that top 4-6, IMO. While you could say Johnny Jones has underachieved, he's also improved every year he's been there. He's gone from 19 wins to 20 wins and from 8th in the SEC to 6th. Also made a postseason tournament in his 2nd year. I think there's enough there, all things considered, to conclude that they probably won't be in that 7-9 range this year. I might understand if they weren't improving a little each year. Like I said, I think they're a bit of a similar trajectory as Arkansas. Small progress made each year.

Danny J

mhuff

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 29, 2014, 02:35:31 pm

We all want to see BB improve dramatically. It will take a good coaching effort. I just have to feel that our guards are gonna be better.

I like your optimism Danny J.     It would take a "Coach of the Year effort. The whole key to this next year is the defense. I am convinced the offense will be better.

Danny J

Quote from: mhuff on July 30, 2014, 06:59:41 pm
We all want to see BB improve dramatically. It will take a good coaching effort. I just have to feel that our guards are gonna be better.

I like your optimism Danny J.     It would take a "Coach of the Year effort. The whole key to this next year is the defense. I am convinced the offense will be better.
I agree and mentioned the same thing in another thread a week or so back. Go back through our losses and the majority of them, certainly not all, were due to upperclassmen guards especially at the point who were able to exploit our inexperience in our trapping system due mainly to our inability to rotate quickly back to the open man. I think we fix some of that this year.

mhuff

Quote from: Danny J on July 31, 2014, 11:13:53 am
I agree and mentioned the same thing in another thread a week or so back. Go back through our losses and the majority of them, certainly not all, were due to upperclassmen guards especially at the point who were able to exploit our inexperience in our trapping system due mainly to our inability to rotate quickly back to the open man. I think we fix some of that this year.

You can't press and not swarm that first pass in. If you play soft and allow them to pass over the press, they will beat you back down court and take it to the hole. The times we do it well and force a long or bad pass I celebrate. I just don't get to celebrate too often. I also love traps in the corner, but you can't play as soft as we do. It is unbelievable.