Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Monk Out in First Cut for Team USA U17

Started by arkmark, July 27, 2014, 09:40:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkmark

In an article on the Yahoo site reports are that Malik Monk fell in the first round of cuts for Team USA U17 basketball.  Monk was described by the writer as one of the most exciting players in HS basketball but inconsistency led to his being eliminated from further consideration for the team.

SemperFi

So, he is human after all. I'm sure that his game will continue to improve, just hope that it's while he's wearing a Razorback uniform.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

poloprince

Quote from: SemperFi on July 27, 2014, 09:46:30 pm
So, he is human after all. I'm sure that his game will continue to improve, just hope that it's while he's wearing a Razorback uniform.
$PoLoPrInCe$

alwaysnextyear

My contact said this was the first time he's struggled that he's seen. Was pretty frustrated by it. But I believe the top 12 guys were back from last year. Idk. Just what I was told.

yraciv

He was at a pretty stacked position.  Tyus Battle, #16 ovr 2016, Jayson Tatum #2 ovr, 2016, Josh Jackson #1 ovr, 2016, VJ King #14, 2016 are just some of those chosen over him. Now Malik is #5 in 2016 on the list I'm using, but hardly weak competition.

Hawg Red

Inconsistency is the criticism I've seen of Malik by recruiting analysts this summer. I was shocked to see he didn't make the cut but I'm not surprised to hear that's the reason why. Luckily for anyone that ends up with him, he's off night is going to be better than most guys' best night. 

rusvegashog

I read an article today where Charles Barkley and John Stockton were both cut from the 1984(?) Olympic squad and there's the story of Michael Jordan being cut from his high school team and I'm sure many more. Stay positive young blood and keep grinding you got a lot of support.

hhicNaychaBoi

Just being allowed to tryout was an honor. He will continue to make NEA proud.

yraciv

Quote from: rusvegashog on July 28, 2014, 01:17:27 am
I read an article today where Charles Barkley and John Stockton were both cut from the 1984(?) Olympic squad and there's the story of Michael Jordan being cut from his high school team and I'm sure many more. Stay positive young blood and keep grinding you got a lot of support.

The MJ story is one of those overblown stories.  He wasn't cut, but rather placed on the JV team as a Sophomore.  Considering he is the best basketball player of all time made that a story, but in reality there have been a ton of late bloomers who played JV ball as highschool underclassman.  MJ was 5'10 at the time and 1 of 50 trying out for 15 spots.  Probably was a good thing, he got to be the man in JV, instead of riding the pine for varsity.

trashcan maN

Quote from: yraciv on July 28, 2014, 08:24:51 am
The MJ story is one of those overblown stories.  He wasn't cut, but rather placed on the JV team as a Sophomore.  Considering he is the best basketball player of all time made that a story, but in reality there have been a ton of late bloomers who played JV ball as highschool underclassman.  MJ was 5'10 at the time and 1 of 50 trying out for 15 spots.  Probably was a good thing, he got to be the man in JV, instead of riding the pine for varsity.
Also, Barkley didn't make Team USA because Bobby Knight couldn't stand him.

HogInFlorida

Monk is a ridiculous athlete and a good basketball player. When he becomes a great basketball player (and he will), watch out.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Kevin

if he was committed to duke, kentucky, or carolina, he would make the team
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogman99

Quote from: Kevin on July 28, 2014, 11:26:55 am

I would agree with this statement.

Hawg Red

Mustapha Heron (Pitt) is the only player currently committed to a school that made the cut. So, I'm not seeing how this holds any weight.

MountieDawg

Everyone loves a good conspiracy....  Monk is great, had a bad week... It happens... KD went on a cold streak this past season.
SEC!

The Hogfather

Monk is a volume shooter that, when on, is the best player in the country at his age.  When he's off, he currently doesn't bring enough.  He's working on becoming a better all around player.  I just hope we can get him for a year.  I think Anderson and his system could help shape Monk into what he needs to be.  It may not be what he WANTS at his age, but it is what he needs.  We'll see what he does. 

wholehog92

Quote from: HogInFlorida on July 28, 2014, 11:23:22 am
Monk is a ridiculous athlete and a good basketball player. When he becomes a great basketball player (and he will), watch out.

Quote from: pillowhog on July 29, 2014, 03:47:11 pm
Been saying this for a while.  Monk is a GREAT athlete.  Not a great basketball player yet

I think he's as good of a basketball player as any his age and you guys just like to say things to make yourself sound authoritative.  Of course his athleticism is ahead of his basketball IQ, he's a freak.  That doesn't mean his basketball IQ is behind anyone else's.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

ricepig

Quote from: pillowhog on July 29, 2014, 04:24:03 pm
How did he not make the first cut then?  I guess you know more than team USA coaches though?
Probably had one of those 3/20 shooting games.

Hawg Red

When you're talking about the best vs the best, there's no room for error. Let's not try to draw too many conclusions from him not making the cut. Having a bad training camp doesn't necessarily make him worse than some of those guys.

wholehog92

Quote from: pillowhog on July 29, 2014, 04:24:03 pm
How did he not make the first cut then?  I guess you know more than team USA coaches though?

You seem eager to pick a fight.  I guess all the coaches that have offered Monk a scholarship have no idea what they are doing either by your less than sound logic asserted in this brief quarrel.  I have asserted nothing about the team USA coaches.  I have only asserted that Monk's basketball ability is fine and you like to make up opinions that sound authoritative when you have no authority.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

rusvegashog

Jesus H. Christ there is always a fight in every single thread. That's why folks who actually have something to contribute stay away. Make no mistake about it Malik Monk will be fine. As the elders say " it'll be good for him", if he approaches it right.

alwaysnextyear

Billy Donovan told Bentonville coaches he's better than Beal was at this stage and it's not close. Tells me all I need to know.

20gauge

He was in the final cut for this same team either last year or the year before. By most accounts he had a bad day, it happens.

This reads nothing in to his basketball IQ or his ability to play the game. hes still the best player in the state of Arkansas regardless. This may actually help him as he can attend more personalized training.

His major flaw is he needs to be more consistent. Ive seen him run off 3 to 4 games with 30+ then score 9. I would rather him actually score 25 a game than score 50 in one and zero in another.

rusvegashog

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on July 29, 2014, 06:01:53 pm
Billy Donovan told Bentonville coaches he's better than Beal was at this stage and it's not close. Tells me all I need to know.
I read that also. B Beal is a beast. If that's true that's saying something.

intelligence

Since people are speculating, ill throw my unqualified opinion in on the matter. I've watched a few replays of his game and the only weakness I saw from him was on ball defense. One game Kevaughn Allen blew by him with ease. I'm not hating on Malik in any way fyi, I'm just stating the truth. I don't by the logic that team USA would cut him for an off shooting night. He's simply to offensively gifted to Passover for an off night. My point is maybe he was passed over for another kid who was similarly gifted offensively and played a little better defense. This seems more logical to me than being cut for an off shooting night. I'm sure he's already been addressed on the things he needs to work on. By all reports he is a very hard worker and student of the game. Best of luck to the young cat

Hawg Red

You never know what the coaches are looking for or want when they're putting a roster like this together. I saw a tweet last night that said Miles Plumlee was likely to make the Team USA roster for this summer over DeMarcus Cousins.

intelligence

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 01, 2014, 10:02:07 am
You never know what the coaches are looking for or want when they're putting a roster like this together. I saw a tweet last night that said Miles Plumlee was likely to make the Team USA roster for this summer over DeMarcus Cousins.

Just Coach K being biased again.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: intelligence on August 02, 2014, 07:01:38 pm
Just Coach K being biased again.
No. It has to do with Plumlee's game being taylor made for the international game and Cousins not wanting to be a backup to Anthony Davis
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Hawg Red

I was mistaken. It's Mason Plumlee. I thought it was the brother that played for Phoenix.