Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Arkansas Has to do Week 1

Started by HogFanatic, July 27, 2014, 11:52:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFanatic

I know the Auburn game has been hotly debated for weeks now, but I honestly feel that if Arkansas is going to upset any big school this season, it WILL be against Auburn.

Nobody plays great ball during the first half of the opening game, at least not that I've ever seen. So Arkansas has to really focus on taking care of the football in the first half and hope that they can create enough confusion on defense to create a couple of sloppy play turnovers. This really isn't that hard to accomplish IMO.

With a new defensive coordinator coming off a stint in the NFL, Auburn really doesn't know what our defense is going to look like. They will be scouting Smith's games he coached at Rutgers to get an idea, but they do not know what we are going to throw at them in game 1. So, you simply need to be quicker, more aggressive, and create more confusion than Auburn's defense has been able to simulate during Spring and Fall Camp. Can Arkansas do this? Time will tell, but I think they have a better than fair shot of forcing Auburn into a few early turnovers.

Some here like to think that Auburn is some sort of power running program. They sorta are, but it isn't like they are lining up in the I and handing it to a half back who follows a Kiero type player through an overloaded line. Their offense relies on a guy to make a read at the LOS. They very much are a finesse running team. They just happen to be pretty good at it.

Throw them off their rhythm and Arkansas can jump out to a lead. Get a lead and see how well Auburn is geared to play from behind.

elksnort

You are right about turnovers. BA has got to not throw pick 6s.

Dark Helmet Hog

I think limiting turnovers will be the biggest key to the game. If we don't turn it over and maybe even pick one up, we have a pretty good shot.

HogFanatic

Arkansas will be the hungrier team, and sloppy conditions favor the under dog. Arkansas has a good shot at this as it stands right now, IMO.

Nobody REALLY, REALLY wants to face an opponent who actually has a shot of beating you in the very first week. Home OR away, it is a risky proposition.

Hoggish1

What's good about an early lead is we can then run the ball with house $.  This could lead to a 10-0 or 14-0 early lead, with only a few minutes left in the half.

Such a lead may cause panic on the loveliest village on the plains. 

Look out, if they panic...

bpoecell

It wouldn't surprise me to see us pull off the upset, or at least go toe to toe with Auburn. They always seem to come out of the gate slow. It takes them four or five games to hit their stride. Even late in the season last year we were able to take it to them better than most anticipated.

HogFanatic

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 27, 2014, 12:07:53 pm
What's good about an early lead is we can then run the ball with house $.  This could lead to a 10-0 or 14-0 early lead, with only a few minutes left in the half.

Such a lead may cause panic on the loveliest village on the plains. 

Look out, if they panic...

If Arkansas could find a way to take a two possession lead into the locker room, the second half would be a sight to behold. Gus will pull out all the stops to bring the game around in the 3rd quarter. Keep a lead heading into the fourth quarter and I think he hogs pull a W.

Phil D

Auburn is a read option runing team with zone blocking up front. Confuse the QB with stunts and blitzes,make it hard for him to get the read and their running game stalls.This is also my upset pick of the season as well
GO HOGS!!!!!!

ldfergu

I just hope the game isn't left on the hands of the officials. We never win those

Cinco de Hogo

LOS is were it will be won or lost.  If our defense can't get a rush and/or contain on the QB we will get dinked and dunked apart.  If that happens it won't matter much what our offense does, we will not out score them.  So here is to  our DE's and whatever help for the safety...etc position that will make it happen.  Did I hear they have a veteran OL returning?

Phil D

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 27, 2014, 06:24:27 pm
LOS is were it will be won or lost.  If our defense can't get a rush and/or contain on the QB we will get dinked and dunked apart.  If that happens it won't matter much what our offense does, we will not out score them.  So here is to  our DE's and whatever help for the safety...etc position that will make it happen.  Did I hear they have a veteran OL returning?

I think what our offense does will have a tremendous impact on how this game plays out. Their best DE is out at least half the season and they only return six starters from a year ago on  defense. if we can control the clock on offense and get a few more stops on defense we will win this game..
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Phil D on July 27, 2014, 07:45:14 pm
I think what our offense does will have a tremendous impact on how this game plays out. Their best DE is out at least half the season and they only return six starters from a year ago on  defense. if we can control the clock on offense and get a few more stops on defense we will win this game..

Well it does pretty much work out the same in the end doesn't it?  Since the teams get about the same number of possessions it's comes down to which defense stops the other offense the most.  If our defense doesn't stop them we will not out score them.

Phil D

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 27, 2014, 07:52:52 pm
Well it does pretty much work out the same in the end doesn't it?  Since the teams get about the same number of possessions it's comes down to which defense stops the other offense the most.  If our defense doesn't stop them we will not out score them.

fair enough
GO HOGS!!!!!!

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: elksnort on July 27, 2014, 11:55:57 am
You are right about turnovers. BA has got to not throw pick 6s.

The real key is the receivers HAVE to catch the ball as well as run the correct routes.  A fourth year Junior and healthy Brandon Allen will be a solid SEC quarterback. 

Augustus

While I agree that limiting turnovers is always a must have...

My biggest concern is limiting the number of 3 & outs. If Brandon can't get the passing game going, and they know to stack 7 or 8 in the box against Collins or Jwill, and shut down most of our drives... our defense will pay the consequences.

And, that's not just against Auburn.

JansterZ71

Game will be won by which QB has better luck through the air. The running game for both teams will be a wash IMO.  Since auburn had the best WR core in the SEC (per ESPN) , then Arkansas DB's will need to have a great game and UA's DL will have to get pressure.
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

hawgintx

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 27, 2014, 11:52:37 am
They very much are a finesse running team.

This one always makes me laugh.  Somebody should get Gary Pinkel on the phone and let him know that.  Auburn "finessed" the spit out of Mizzou in the SECCG. 

IntegrityHog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 27, 2014, 11:52:37 am
I know the Auburn game has been hotly debated for weeks now, but I honestly feel that if Arkansas is going to upset any big school this season, it WILL be against Auburn.

Nobody plays great ball during the first half of the opening game, at least not that I've ever seen. So Arkansas has to really focus on taking care of the football in the first half and hope that they can create enough confusion on defense to create a couple of sloppy play turnovers. This really isn't that hard to accomplish IMO.

With a new defensive coordinator coming off a stint in the NFL, Auburn really doesn't know what our defense is going to look like. They will be scouting Smith's games he coached at Rutgers to get an idea, but they do not know what we are going to throw at them in game 1. So, you simply need to be quicker, more aggressive, and create more confusion than Auburn's defense has been able to simulate during Spring and Fall Camp. Can Arkansas do this? Time will tell, but I think they have a better than fair shot of forcing Auburn into a few early turnovers.

Some here like to think that Auburn is some sort of power running program. They sorta are, but it isn't like they are lining up in the I and handing it to a half back who follows a Kiero type player through an overloaded line. Their offense relies on a guy to make a read at the LOS. They very much are a finesse running team. They just happen to be pretty good at it.

Throw them off their rhythm and Arkansas can jump out to a lead. Get a lead and see how well Auburn is geared to play from behind.

Thank you!  I am glad that someone else can see this!  Our defense is going to surprise a lot of people, starting with the cheating Auburn Tigers and Gus "The Cheater" Malazahn.  Our attacking style is going to confuse them.

MJ2

The bigger question is how do the Hogs handle themselves after game 1?    If they win, does it propel them to a huge season?    If they lose, do they immediately 2nd guess themselves and basically pack it in for the season?   Pivotal week I think.

GlassofSwine

Auburn's at Home. Jumping out to an early lead is not going to win it for us. We need to play steady the entire game, not give up big plays and sustain long drives. No bad penalties and win the turnover battle then we will have a shot. That list is why I think it is unlikely, Game 1 of the season on the road and we have to play almost perfect to win.

threeNout

A healthy Allen with zero game tape on him for '14 will help.

we'll need to control the LOS and run the ball very well with our 3 backs.

a chip on the shoulder attitude from the O-line.