Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If I Told You...

Started by HogFanatic, July 27, 2014, 10:48:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFanatic

...I could see the future, and the tea leaves tell me that Arkansas is going to win 4 SEC games this year, who you got?

1. Auburn
2. Texas A&M
3. Ole Miss
4. Missouri

I know most here don't agree that we have a shot at Auburn this season, but what about the others? I think Ole Miss is the toughest of the four I just posted. How about you guys? Any you think should replace one of those four? Maybe LSU? I don't see victories at all with Alabama, Georgia or Mississippi State (as much as it pains me to write off a loss against a damn Mississippi School).

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 27, 2014, 10:48:21 am
...I could see the future, and the tea leaves tell me that Arkansas is going to win 4 SEC games this year, who you got?

1. Auburn
2. Texas A&M
3. Ole Miss
4. Missouri

I know most here don't agree that we have a shot at Auburn this season, but what about the others? I think Ole Miss is the toughest of the four I just posted. How about you guys? Any you think should replace one of those four? Maybe LSU? I don't see victories at all with Alabama, Georgia or Mississippi State (as much as it pains me to write off a loss against a damn Mississippi School).

People just want to believe we beat Auburn because of Gus. There is a very valid argument that we have a better shot at beating Alabama than we do Auburn.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

HogFanatic

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 27, 2014, 10:52:12 am
People just want to believe we beat Auburn because of Gus. There is a very valid argument that we have a better shot at beating Alabama than we do Auburn.

In what universe do we have a better shot at Alabama?

Alabama has scored 104 points to our 0 in the past two seasons. I see absolutely no reason to believe we can beat that team this year. Auburn on the other hand...I saw a Razorbacks team last year that COULD compete with them...they just didn't get it done. Auburn pulled away a bit late in the game. But that game was at least competitive for the most part.

ETA: Not only football, but all competitive sports, are more about matchups than they are opposing teams win loss records. We clearly do not match up well with Alabama right now and we haven't for a few years.

We match up much better with Auburn.

rlreev01

I believe this team is a team that could win any home game.  Not saying they will, but I would say TAMU, Ole Miss, LSU, and Georgia.  They could pull a victory over MSU or Missouri.  Now, I am not saying they will win all these games but I think we will have some fun 4th quarters this year.

MiHogsMi

I think you mistook your medical marijuana leaves for your tea leaves.
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

HogFanatic

Quote from: MiHogsMi on July 27, 2014, 10:58:14 am
I think you mistook your medical marijuana leaves for your tea leaves.

:puke:

Poker_hog

We've always done better with finesse teams like au than teams like bama/Lsu/uga that pound it down our throats with better talent.  Until we get depth on defense, which we've rarely had this will continue to be the case.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

HogFanatic

Quote from: rlreev01 on July 27, 2014, 10:57:40 am
I believe this team is a team that could win any home game.  Not saying they will, but I would say TAMU, Ole Miss, LSU, and Georgia.  They could pull a victory over MSU or Missouri.  Now, I am not saying they will win all these games but I think we will have some fun 4th quarters this year.

I just cannot envision a victory against Georgia. They are going to be stout, especially by the time we get them.

Traditionally, Richt is going to lose whatever games he is slated to lose at the beginning of the season, and then his team goes on a long run of wins. Georgia is my pick to play in Atlanta out of the East this season, with South Carolina right on their heels.

HoopS

Quote from: Poker_hog on July 27, 2014, 11:03:00 am
We've always done better with finesse teams like au than teams like bama/Lsu/uga that pound it down our throats with better talent.  Until we get depth on defense, which we've rarely had this will continue to be the case.
I wouldn't include LSU in that argument.

SPAL

Not sure if serious....

I don't think we beat auburn, but ...wow

Al Boarland

Quote from: Poker_hog on July 27, 2014, 11:03:00 am
We've always done better with finesse teams like au than teams like bama/Lsu/uga that pound it down our throats with better talent.Until we get depth on defense, which we've rarely had this will continue to be the case.

"pound it down our throats with better talent."

You just described Auburn. They run it down hill and have better talent. They use misdirection and get the numbers advantage at the POA. What about that is not "pounding it down our throats with better talent"?

HogFanatic

Quote from: HoopS on July 27, 2014, 11:10:50 am
I wouldn't include LSU in that argument.

Do you only say that because Arkansas has recent history of upsetting LSU?
Because otherwise, LSU has been the better team for more than a decade now. Superior talent at nearly every position on the field. I think we will play them pretty closely again this season though, and who knows...we may get them this time.

HoopS

I do say it because we have played them close a lot.  For whatever reason, we always have a shot at them.  Sometimes they pound us -- but not anywhere near as often or as handily as Bama does. 

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 27, 2014, 11:13:43 am

You just described Auburn. They run it down hill and have better talent. They use misdirection and get the numbers advantage at the POA. What about that is not "pounding it down our throats with better talent"?

Why are you so upset when someone says something about Auburn that doesn't fit your agenda? Auburn isn't thought of a heavy package run team like Bama, LSU, Stanford types. It's ok, we understand you love the HUNH, and they do a good job of putting more people at the POA.

HogFanatic

Quote from: HoopS on July 27, 2014, 11:20:03 am
I do say it because we have played them close a lot.  For whatever reason, we always have a shot at them.  Sometimes they pound us -- but not anywhere near as often or as handily as Bama does.

Yeah, I agree.

I think that within the next few years Miles seat becomes warm unless LSU starts making some national news with their program again. Miles is the Western version of Mark Richt IMO. And only if we accept the notion that Richt does in fact do less with more.

Prestworthy

1. Auburn
2. Texas A&M
3. Ole Miss
4. Missouri

I agree with the above mentioned wins.  I think there will be a lot more parody this season in the West than most think.  Honestly, I see every game the hogs play as "winnable" with the exception of Alabama.  We just don't have the talent or depth to stand toe to toe with them yet.  But, if Coker turns out to be a bust and they have to resort to Sims, the chances grow astronomically. 

Poker_hog

It's misdirection, three and out or score quickly.  It's not ball control wear the defense out style football that the other teams I mentioned play.  There's not much emphasis on defense.  It's the same way at a&m.  Just think we match up better with those type teams.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

hoghiker

I'm tying to remember when Auburn has pounded down our throat, dominated, like Alabama. It's may have happened bout I can't recall it.

Al Boarland

Quote from: ricepig on July 27, 2014, 11:21:04 am
Why are you so upset when someone says something about Auburn that doesn't fit your agenda? Auburn isn't thought of a heavy package run team like Bama, LSU, Stanford types. It's ok, we understand you love the HUNH, and they do a good job of putting more people at the POA.

Upset? I merely pointed out an error in analysis. The only people who call Malzahn's offense finesse either don't have a clue or are misinformed.

That's a fact. Oh and the guy that just came from Stanford to coach Vandy said they run the same way as Bama, so you don't have to take my word for it.

Al Boarland

Quote from: hoghiker on July 27, 2014, 11:24:57 am
I'm tying to remember when Auburn has pounded down our throat, dominated, like Alabama. It's may have happened bout I can't recall it.

I'm not talking about scoring. I'm talking about how they run the ball. I don't recall them doing anything too fancy last time we played them. They just ran it.

I watched the AU and A&M game this weekend and what did they do? Ran it into 9 man fronts and still moved the chains. I know that's not saying much, but again it's an example of a down hill football team.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Poker_hog on July 27, 2014, 11:23:57 am
It's misdirection, three and out or score quickly.  It's not ball control wear the defense out style football that the other teams I mentioned play.  There's not much emphasis on defense.  It's the same way at a&m.  Just think we match up better with those type teams.

They didn't seem to have any problems wearing defenses out last season.

Just saying.

SemperFi

This is strictly hypothetical and because it is I've got:

1. Auburn
2. Alabama
3. Texas A&M
4. Mizzou

I want a win against Auburn badly just so the Hogs can get the season started the right way.

Alabama, because we owe them big time.

My hatred for aTm runs deep and anything short of blowing them out game after game is just not good enough.

If the SEC wants to screw up a good thing that we had playing LSU the day after Thanksgiving then we should start this new series off on the right foot by dismantling Mizzou the last game of the season.

Remember, this is hypothetical and based on tea leaves.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 27, 2014, 11:26:38 am
Upset? I merely pointed out an error in analysis. The only people who call Malzahn's offense finesse either don't have a clue or are misinformed.

That's a fact. Oh and the guy that just came from Stanford to coach Vandy said they run the same way as Bama, so you don't have to take my word for it.

Error in analysis?? I don't think many would compare Auburn's offense to those I'd mention. Auburn wants to spread you out and use misdirection, the others might use some misdirection, but there is a lot of tight sets, try to out muscle you.

HogFanatic

Quote from: SemperFi on July 27, 2014, 11:33:18 am
This is strictly hypothetical and because it is I've got:

1. Auburn
2. Alabama
3. Texas A&M
4. Mizzou

I want a win against Auburn badly just so the Hogs can get the season started the right way.

Alabama, because we owe them big time.

My hatred for aTm runs deep and anything short of blowing them out game after game is just not good enough.

If the SEC wants to screw up a good thing that we had playing LSU the day after Thanksgiving then we should start this new series off on the right foot by dismantling Mizzou the last game of the season.

Remember, this is hypothetical and based on tea leaves.

I would certainly celebrate those victories. A sweep of the Alabama schools would seem to be a miracle at this point.

Uncommon

The SEC teams I think we'll beat to go 8-4 are:
1. vs. Texas A&M
2. at Mississippi State
3. LSU
4. at Missouri

Cinco de Hogo

There is a lot of confusion about Gus, no confusion about Saban.  That would lead people to give us a better chance to beat AU than UA.  I simply don't know what to expect in our first game so I'm more confused about Arkansas right now.  I can see us really punching them in the mouth or getting punched in the mouth.

20hog11

Who we would beat if we won four sec games this year. (In order of likelihood)

1. A&M - we played them fairly tight last year. No Johnny or Evans this year and a bad defense
2. Mississippi St. - another team that we played somewhat well against last year. I think with improved qb play and a better defense we get it done this year.
3. Ole Miss - if we can control the pace of this game and have long drives to keep their offense off of the field, I think a win here is a real possibility.
4. Lsu - new qb and we always seem to play them tight. If our defense has improved from last year, we could do what we weren't able to do a year ago an finish them off.

I think one big key to our success this year will be whether we can finish drives with TDs rather than FGs or turnovers. There were so many times last year that we got in the redzone and just couldn't punch it in.

cosmodrum

Bama and Auburn are going to beat us with a combined score of about 90-24.
Go away, batin'

Hoggish1

Quote from: HoopS on July 27, 2014, 11:20:03 am

I can't remember a time they pounded us.  Last year was as close as they came with that, but if you analyze the game, they got easy scores when we were out of position. 

We don't have those D coaches anymore...

HogFanatic

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 27, 2014, 12:14:52 pm
I can't remember a time they pounded us.  Last year was as close as they came with that, but if you analyze the game, they got easy scores when we were out of position. 

We don't have those D coaches anymore...

You serious?

Last year it took a damn miracle for LSU to scrape away a W.

secneahog

I think we beat Georgia..........
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 27, 2014, 11:23:33 am
Yeah, I agree.

I think that within the next few years Miles seat becomes warm unless LSU starts making some national news with their program again. Miles is the Western version of Mark Richt IMO. And only if we accept the notion that Richt does in fact do less with more.

I predict, as the SEC gets better, LSU drops back to the middle of the pack.  Why?  Because they just don't have a good enough HC.

I suspect the brain trust there is painfully aware of that fact.

HogFanatic

Quote from: secneahog on July 27, 2014, 12:16:35 pm

Lord I hope you are right. I still have an awful sore spot on my tongue from that beat down they gave us in the SEC Championship game, and again from that shootout they won in Fayetteville a few years back. That was the first game I ever took my son to and I hated leaving with yet another loss at the hands of Richt.

I really don't like losing to Georgia, but is seems we always find a way to. Richt is a damn good coach. It is very rare he loses a conference game to a team he should beat.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 27, 2014, 12:15:54 pm
You serious?

Last year it took a damn miracle for LSU to scrape away a W.

Hello? I believe we were talking about Auburn?

Hoggish1

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 27, 2014, 12:21:24 pm
Lord I hope you are right. I still have an awful sore spot on my tongue from that beat down they gave us in the SEC Championship game, and again from that shootout they won in Fayetteville a few years back. That was the first game I ever took my son to and I hated leaving with yet another loss at the hands of Richt.

I really don't like losing to Georgia, but is seems we always find a way to. Richt is a damn good coach. It is very rare he loses a conference game to a team he should beat.

The last time we played them we won.  As far as I'm concerned we are 1-0 with them...

HogFanatic

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 27, 2014, 12:23:54 pm
Hello? I believe we were talking about Auburn?

You're right. My bad. Haha
There was a similar line of thought posted about LSU.

The Auburn thing is total bunk. Auburn is a finesse team, even if they run the ball.

Phil D

1. Auburn
2. A&M
3. Miss State
4. Missouri

:razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

HiggiePiggy

I believe our best chance for a win in the sec is Texas A&M

Texas A&M
LSU
Ole Miss
Georgia
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HogFanatic

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 27, 2014, 12:46:43 pm
I believe our best chance for a win in the sec is Texas A&M

Texas A&M
LSU
Ole Miss
Georgia

I certainly agree that Arkansas can beat A&M. Hell, I almost expect us to. They aren't going to be that great this year. They lost a lot of talent and production to the NFL this past season, and their attrition this off season has been nothing short of astounding.

They probably finish dead last in the SEC West this year IMO.

onebadrubi

Quote from: secneahog on July 27, 2014, 12:16:35 pm

I couldn't believe anyone included this one already. 

Auburn to start the season off right, Georgia, LSU, and mizzou. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Ole Piss, Miss State, Mizz and A&M

jgphillips3

If I thought four were possible, I would guess:

Mississippi State
Ole Miss
A&M
LSU or Missouri

Augustus

1. Auburn
2. Texas A&M
3. Ole Miss
4. Missouri

I think we have a better chance at beating UGA than AU, Bama, or LSU. A Dawgs fan buddy of mine is very worried about coming to War Memorial this year.  And, i doubt he's just blowing smoke up my arse.

I think A&M and Mizzou are definitely winnable, but I think we split those two.

I'm thinking 6 wins this season:
3 of the non-conf's (We lose in Lubbock)
Miss State
UGA
Mizzou

Augustus

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 27, 2014, 12:50:26 pm
I certainly agree that Arkansas can beat A&M. Hell, I almost expect us to. They aren't going to be that great this year. They lost a lot of talent and production to the NFL this past season, and their attrition this off season has been nothing short of astounding.

They probably finish dead last in the SEC West this year IMO.

A&M finishing dead last in the SEC West would warm my heart.

After all the red carpet given to them by the SEC? The stadium renovations they have in the works? 2 years of hearing about Johnny [CENSORED] Football (yes, I know he's not there anymore, but I bet we still hear his name during games)?

Oh... A&M dead least in the West would be GLORIOUS!

lumphog

Quote from: Augustus on July 27, 2014, 01:40:32 pm
I think we have a better chance at beating UGA than AU, Bama, or LSU. A Dawgs fan buddy of mine is very worried about coming to War Memorial this year.  And, i doubt he's just blowing smoke up my arse.

I think A&M and Mizzou are definitely winnable, but I think we split those two.

I'm thinking 6 wins this season:
3 of the non-conf's (We lose in Lubbock)
Miss State
UGA
Mizzou
Agree, say what you want about the stadium debate, but War Memorial is a magical place to play.....We have a chance to beat anyone there.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: lumphog on July 27, 2014, 02:23:57 pm
Agree, say what you want about the stadium debate, but War Memorial is a magical place to play.....We have a chance to beat anyone there.

I'm thinking more of a chance because of Richts coaching rather than out stadium. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: lumphog on July 27, 2014, 02:23:57 pm

What if all games in DWRRS helped us land 1.5 more 4 star players per year.  Would that off sit the magic?

31to6

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 27, 2014, 11:31:14 am
They didn't seem to have any problems wearing defenses out last season.

Just saying.
The reason that Alabama has steamrolled us and Auburn does not (and likely will not) is not because of their offense styles but rather their defense capabilities.

We can and will be able to move the ball on Auburn and generate scoring opportunities. If you can score, you can win. Even if you are the underdog you can get a turnover or a big ST play, a couple big penalties--some sort of break--and be in position to pull out a 4th quarter victory if you can move the ball and have some control over the clock.

Against Alabama we have spent large stretches of the game punting from inside our own 40.

widespreadsooie

Augustus

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 27, 2014, 03:33:35 pm
What if all games in DWRRS helped us land 1.5 more 4 star players per year.  Would that off sit the magic?

I don't think the Georgia game will be decided upon by the crowd at DWRRS vs WMS, but rather the team that Richt has right now, and the talent that left.

Then again, I'd much rather playing UGA in Fay or LR, than at Georgia