Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does anybody remember the 1974 USC game?

Started by Sweet Feet, July 26, 2014, 11:03:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

justmaybe

John McKay their coach walked off the field and would not shake  Broyles hand. The year before my mom and dad went to the game in CA where we got best 17-0 if I remember correctly . Later after the USC - notre dame game that same year Anthony Davis was asked in TV if it was the hardest hitting game he had been in. He said no. The hardest he was hit was in the arkansas game. I remember it being a proud moment.

bigbadhog

Not at the game but remember the excitement.  Unbelievable win for the Hogs...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Rzbakfromwaybak

I was there,  sat in the North end of the field (not the end zone).  Never forget that game.  As others have said, Dennis Winston & our defense played a great game....the eventual National Champions offense... never scored against our defense that night.  The kickoff return for a touchdown was their only score. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: hoglady on July 27, 2014, 07:23:58 am
That's one of my all time favorite games.
One of the loudest crowds ever at War Memorial.
The stadium just had an energy and excitement for that game that's hard to duplicate.
That was THE LOUDEST Hog football game for me. First time to sit in a end zone also, about 10 rows up and seemed like almost all the action was on our end. Our family took some players from my football team who had never been before. Crazy loud and non stop WPS! Will never forget Dennis "DIRT" Winston creaming USC running back Anthony Davis in the backfield and forcing a fumble, one of the greatest hits I've ever seen. We all went back and told our coach we wanted to play like "Dirt". Grinning real big our coach said , it was ok to make the other players hurt, but do not try injure them. One of those players went on to play for the U of A and another for OU.

hoglady

July 28, 2014, 11:10:02 pm #54 Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:48:24 am by hoglady
Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on July 28, 2014, 10:54:45 pm
That was THE LOUDEST Hog football game for me. First time to sit in a end zone also, about 10 rows up and seemed like almost all the action was on our end. Our family took some players from my football team who had never been before. Crazy loud and non stop WPS! Will never forget Dennis "DIRT" Winston creaming USC running back Anthony Davis in the backfield and forcing a fumble, one of the greatest hits I've ever seen. We all went back and told our coach we wanted to play like "Dirt". Grinning real big our coach said , it was ok to make the other players hurt, but do not try injure them. One of those players went on to play for the U of A and another for OU.

I agree.
The difference between that game and many of the other great games at WMS.
That game was crazy loud from start to finish. Didn't seem like the crowd let up or qot quiet at anytime. Adrenalin going the entire game. I remember being exhausted when it was over.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

DrJay2010

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 26, 2014, 11:03:56 pm
Heard someone talking about it recently

Yes I remember it.   Arkansas beat a usc team that won the nc that year.  Steve little's 1st game.

Come to think of it - our win wasn't that impressive. After all. usc was not an sec-sec-sec team  :)

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: hoglady on July 28, 2014, 11:10:02 pm
I agree.
The difference between that game and many of the other great games at WMS.
That game was crazy loud from start to finish. Didn't seem like the crowd let up or qot quiet at anytime. Adrenal going the entire game. I remember being exhausted when it was over.
Exhausted and hoarse and ears ringing.

Pigstie

Is there a video of this game anywhere? 
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

razorbackcaller

My father took my brother and I to the L.A. In 1973. Man that was a long ride home.
I remember we drove to Little Rock in mom's 1972 Nova and I wanted to beat those guys so bad.

After the game I remember leaving the stadium and driving through the crowd and everyone was whooping it up.

That was the last game my dad and brother and I attended together, shortly after that my brother got married and moved out of state.

thirrdegreetusker

That was the game, and the atmosphere, that made me a Hog fan. One of the loudest crowds ever. People calling the Hogs in the stands for almost a half hour after the game was over.

I had friends who were in the military then, at the tail end of the Vietnam era. One was in the Navy, at sea, far out in the Pacific. He stayed up late (or would it be early the next day?) to hear the score. Kept going to the radio room, pestering the operator.  When the score came over the radio, he went down and woke up his shipmates from California, to give them the news, and maybe rub it in a bit.

Another was stateside, in Florida I believe.  Listened to the late scores over the radio, but no score was announced. So he called the radio station, and had the DJ look down the list again. When the DJ found it, he said "Here it is. Oh, this can't be right........."

Arkiebarkie

I was there as well, about 22 y/o and was screaming at Anthony Davis to see if he could return one against the Razorbacks.....well he did 106 yards opening the game. The students told me to sit down and shut up!!  I did not however because the hogs were playing lights out.  That was so much fun! GHG!

DemiHOG

i REMEMBER VERY WELL,, Dirt Winston and all,, Arkansas did not even complete a pass that game, I stil have the game program from that game. was an awesome game, fans were outstanding!! Will never forget it.  I was 21 at the time.

Bacons Rebellion

The images I still have from, I believe, the North End Zone are:
1. Ike Forte scoring running right toward us.
2. Anthony Davis' back on the kickoff return.
3. Pat Haden stepping out of his end zone and me "screaming" "He stepped on the line!" and just knowing the refs wouldn't see it. But the did.
4. The announcer called "Winston" over and over and everyone saying "Who is this guy?" (He was only a soph)
5. Nobody leaving after the game. Everybody just stayed and yelled and called the Hogs.