Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does anybody remember the 1974 USC game?

Started by Sweet Feet, July 26, 2014, 11:03:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

Phil D

I don't remember it because i was only a year old but Arkansas was the only team to beat USC in 1974 22-7 in Little Rock. they pretty much blew everyone else away except Cal who they tied with 15-15. Google is my friend lol ;D
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Wild Bill Hog

chitwnhog

I was there; I was eight years old and in the habit of reading the Sports page of the newspaper and I knew that USC was heavily favored. As my father and I were walking up to the stadium I told him I thought I was going to root for USC. My father to his credit told me that was fine and if I wanted to do so I could do so from the car.

Arkansas won in an upset and then went on to have a disappointing season. USC didn't lose another game and won at least a portion of the national championship.

hawg66

Dennis Winston and the defense played a great game.  Dirt shadowed Anthony Davis all over the field and basically shut him down.  A great win for the Hogs, they had been embarrassed a year earlier by the Trojans.

Arkansas struggled offensively that season.  The defense played great for half a year, lost some close games when the O gave them no help.  The team chemistry eventually suffered for it and they ended up with five wins I think.  Broyles went to the Wishbone the next year, with Scott Bull at QB.  The Hogs won 10 and the Cotton Bowl in '75.

Jackrabbit Hog

I was 14 and in the south end zone with my dad and my sister.  One of my top 10 Razorback games to attend, no doubt.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

The Divine Swine

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 26, 2014, 11:24:31 pm
I was there; I was eight years old and in the habit of reading the Sports page of the newspaper and I knew that USC was heavily favored. As my father and I were walking up to the stadium I told him I thought I was going to root for USC. My father to his credit told me that was fine and if I wanted to do so I could do so from the car.

Arkansas won in an upset and then went on to have a disappointing season. USC didn't lose another game and won at least a portion of the national championship.

who do you root for now? I trust you have graduated from the car?
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

chitwnhog

Quote from: The Divine Swine on July 27, 2014, 12:07:49 am
who do you root for now? I trust you have graduated from the car?

If ya knew my father you would know that I made a quick decision not to root for USC and that was a great lesson on loyalty. Thus I root for the Razorbacks always and I didn't have to graduate from the car.  :D

Anybody

INCREDIBLE memories !  We literally "Called The Hogs" over and over for a solid 15 minutes after the clock read 0:00.  Unbelievable crowd.  Our defense Hog tied Anthony Davis all night long.  This victory really put Arkansas on the map that year.

GO HOGS 2014 !!!

pigture perfect

I remember the nightly news was all about the Hogs upset. Even the world news guys commented on it. It may have been as big of an upset as the orange bowl.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The Divine Swine

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 27, 2014, 12:20:55 am

If ya knew my father you would know that I made a quick decision not to root for USC and that was a great lesson on loyalty. Thus I root for the Razorbacks always and I didn't have to graduate from the car.  :D

I figured as much. First game I vaguely remember is the 78 Orange bowl against OU. I was like 4 maybe. I just remember folks at my house going off every few minutes. Then we went outside and the whole neighborhood was calling the Hogs. I was hooked from then on.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

chitwnhog

Quote from: The Divine Swine on July 27, 2014, 01:10:33 am
I figured as much. First game I vaguely remember is the 78 Orange bowl against OU. I was like 4 maybe. I just remember folks at my house going off every few minutes. Then we went outside and the whole neighborhood was calling the Hogs. I was hooked from then on.

Great game for your entree to this thing we call being a fan. My first game was 1970 vs. Stanford (with Jim Plunkett) I honestly don't remember if we won but I really loved being there.

Westcoasthog

I was there at the Arkansas - USC game in Little Rock the game in which Arkansas won 22-7.

Torqued pork

Dennis Winston had one of the greatest games ever for a Hog and it was the last big win Bud Campbell called before his death if memory serves.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Torqued pork on July 27, 2014, 02:03:26 am
Dennis Winston had one of the greatest games ever for a Hog and it was the last big win Bud Campbell called before his death if memory serves.

Bud Campbell wow....I remember being young when he died...wreck on Rodney Parahm or Cantrell?

Hog are ya

It was my first game to attend.  Talk about getting hooked quick and at a young age!

bruisemeister

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 27, 2014, 01:20:44 am
Great game for your entree to this thing we call being a fan. My first game was 1970 vs. Stanford (with Jim Plunkett) I honestly don't remember if we won but I really loved being there.
The Hogs lost that game to Stanford. They lost at my first Hog game too. A 31-3 loss to Texas in 1983. I still had a great time.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

RexMentor

Quoting: "Arkansas struggled offensively that season.  The defense played great for half a year, lost some close games when the O gave them no help.  The team chemistry eventually suffered for it and they ended up with five wins I think.  Broyles went to the Wishbone the next year, with Scott Bull at QB.  The Hogs won 10 and the Cotton Bowl in '75."

Actually Arkansas ran the veer option in 1975. Under quarterback Mike Kirkland, they looked damn near unstoppable until Kirkland -- and if I remember correctly -- most of the starting backfield -- got hurt. Then Bull and some others came on. That was Broyles' last great season coaching. He also had really good assistants -- Jimmy Johnson on defense and an O coordinator, whose name I have forgotten. The O coordinator was hired as coach at LSU, I think. Then, died in a  plane crash. I just remembered his name -- Bo Rein (sp?).

hoglady

That's one of my all time favorite games.
One of the loudest crowds ever at War Memorial.
The stadium just had an energy and excitement for that game that's hard to duplicate.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 27, 2014, 02:06:14 am
Bud Campbell wow....I remember being young when he died...wreck on Rodney Parahm or Cantrell?

Rodney Parham if my memory is right.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Hawk

I was there in the endzone with my mom & Dad. Wish I could remember more details about it, but all I really remember is how great it was being there and beating USC. I was 15 at the time.

hoglady

Quote from: Hawk on July 27, 2014, 07:52:21 am
I was there in the endzone with my mom & Dad. Wish I could remember more details about it, but all I really remember is how great it was being there and beating USC. I was 15 at the time.

My most vivid memory was Anthony Davis' 106 yard kickoff return for a touchdown. That was USC only score of the game.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on July 27, 2014, 07:25:49 am

I thought it was Cantrell, west of Rebsamen in the curves of the hill by Allsopp Park.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoglady

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 27, 2014, 07:58:30 am
I thought it was Cantrell, west of Rebsamen in the curves of the hill by Allsopp Park.

You may be right.

Phil D

Quote from: The Divine Swine on July 27, 2014, 01:10:33 am

I was 5 and the 78 orange bowl is also the first game I remember probably because the biggest party of my whole life up to that point occurred afterward lol.   :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Shoat61

It was the loudest game ever at War Memorial.  I cannot remember sitting down the entire game.  The defense clogged the USC passing lanes and shutdown AD.  Pat Haden to this day says this was his toughest game.  This was the USC team that scored 55 points on Notre Dame in the second half and won the national championship.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hoglady on July 27, 2014, 07:23:58 am
That's one of my all time favorite games.
One of the loudest crowds ever at War Memorial.
The stadium just had an energy and excitement for that game that's hard to duplicate.

I don't think ANYONE ever sat down.  The only other time I remember standing an entire game was A&M in '75.  LSU in '06 was close.

Snoutman

I remember the game vividly. I was 21 at the time. Dirt Winston had a career game but what I remember more than anything is when USC started to run onto the field the fans started calling the hogs and about half of USC's team came to a complete stop and started looking around the stadium in complete awe. Love the way our fans take part on game day and the hog call is unique in all of college sports.

stickhog

I was 20.  We parked on the far part of the golf course an hour and a half before game time.  We we opened the car door we could hear the roar of the crowd and people stomping on the bench seats....we ran to the stadium!!  Did I mention it was an hour and a half before game time.

Lasting impression of USC LB Richard Wood (Batman) coming down to the end zone after the game just taking in the crowd in disbelief.  How did we beat their insane collection of talent.....the environment was a major part of it!  It was very different than the 69 Texas game where the noise was good but everyone was so nervous about every play. 

The USC game ties with the 75 A&M game to me....God Bless Teddy Barnes!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Shoat61 on July 27, 2014, 08:29:51 am
It was the loudest game ever at War Memorial.  I cannot remember sitting down the entire game.  The defense clogged the USC passing lanes and shutdown AD.  Pat Haden to this day says this was his toughest game.  This was the USC team that scored 55 points on Notre Dame in the second half and won the national championship.
Is that the game that Anthony Davis scored eleventy touchdowns ???

DC HOGFAN

Remember it well. I was 14 and sitting on the west side at the 50 sitting with my dad. I remember Pat Hayden not realizing where he was and stepping out of the back of his own end zone for a safety.
Another memory-Losing the next week to Okie State, same field. High hopes for season dashed again.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 27, 2014, 07:58:30 am

Rodney Parham near where Franke's Cafeteria is now I believe.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

ricepig

I was 16, sitting on the east side, we arrived about kickoff and it was loud. In those days, driving from NEA on 67, you either stopped at Kelly's in Bald Knob coming or going. We must have stopped on the way down, haha.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 27, 2014, 08:53:38 am
Is that the game that Anthony Davis scored eleventy touchdowns ???

Seems like Davis ran two kickoffs back for TD's against ND the year before.  That made him the frontrunner for the Heisman leading up to the '74 season.  Then he returns the opening kickoff against us for a TD.  Not sure whether USC crossed midfield the rest of the night. 

Vantage 8 dude

I remember it well; especially noteable as it was Dennis "Dirt" Winston's "coming out party". Not only were USC's hot shot backs introduced to the young man, but so was the rest of the football world. It certainly wouldn't be the last we'd hear from that guy.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hoglady on July 27, 2014, 07:25:49 am
Correct, it was Rodney Parham Road. In the vicinity of where Reservoir Road intersects.

1960'sHogFan

Crowd was unreal ! No one wanted to leave after the game.

Tusks

Anyone know the story of how JFB got 2 home games to 1 away game with USC back then?

I do just wondering if anyone else does.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Jborohog09

Quote from: tusked on July 27, 2014, 01:30:26 pm
Anyone know the story of how JFB got 2 home games to 1 away game with USC back then?

I do just wondering if anyone else does.

I have no idea.  I've always wondered how he did that along with getting one-game deals with Stanford and Cal in 1970 and 1971.

Tusks

He and McKay played a round of golf for it.  They agreed to the home and home and played for the 3rd game.  JFB sand bagged JM and won the round of golf and the extra game.

on the green in reg and two putt. 

how he got the Cal game I'm not sure, maybe for moving the 69 game for the networks.

Quote from: Jborohog09 on July 27, 2014, 03:21:48 pm
I have no idea.  I've always wondered how he did that along with getting one-game deals with Stanford and Cal in 1970 and 1971.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Phil D on July 27, 2014, 08:25:34 am
I was 5 and the 78 orange bowl is also the first game I remember probably because the biggest party of my whole life up to that point occurred afterward lol.   :razorback:

That game was epic!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

1highhog

I remember it well.  Was unable to go at the time, family was short on cash, but we were right there with them when the Trojans fell that day.

TheRazorback500

I was partying like a little juvi, but we had it on the radio. Big win!
Do you wanna get Rocked?

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 26, 2014, 11:03:56 pm
Heard someone talking about it recently

I remember it - I wasn't there it was hard times and the economy was really bad so we couldn't afford tickets (I was 14). But it was such a breath of fresh air for the State

But as I remember Ark was soon brought Back to reality   

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 27, 2014, 12:48:58 am
I remember the nightly news was all about the Hogs upset. Even the world news guys commented on it. It may have been as big of an upset as the orange bowl.

#5 Southern Cal  was an overwhelming favorite going into the game.  Arkansas was coming off back-to-back sub par seasons (6-5, 5-5-1), had a lot of real questions about the talent on the team, and Frank was feeling a bit of heat.   USC went on to finish 10-1-1 and was voted #1 in the final coaches (UPI) poll.  Unquestionably the greatest season opener for Arkansas.

Arkansas was still a year away but this game was the turn around between the struggles of the early 70's and the great run of 1975-1982.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: Hog are ya on July 27, 2014, 02:53:56 am
It was my first game to attend.  Talk about getting hooked quick and at a young age!
it was my first game too. I remember the Usc qb stepping out of the back of the endzone because he couldn't find anyone open. Great time. WM was loud.

Hog75

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 27, 2014, 09:27:31 am
Seems like Davis ran two kickoffs back for TD's against ND the year before.  That made him the frontrunner for the Heisman leading up to the '74 season.  Then he returns the opening kickoff against us for a TD.  Not sure whether USC crossed midfield the rest of the night.

My senior year.  Best game that I ever attended
without question. AD's kickoff return was not
the opening kickoff but after we scored first and
the place was going nuts then AD takes it right
up the middle no one touched him it seemed
and the air goes out of the balloon but Winston
dogs him all night long and Haden doesn't complete
a pass until last play of third quarter.  Four picks
and we chase him out of his end zone for our
last two points.  Bedlam.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

I may have read this in the Orville Henry/Jim Bailey book on Arkansas football history:  Coach Broyles commented that they prepared all spring and all summer long for that USC game.  They knew everything about USC.  Every tendency, every player. 

I have a feeling you are going to see a very well prepared Arkansas team roll into Auburn on August 30th.  Auburn may not be taking Arkansas all that seriously.  Plus, they have been complemented all summer long for their great season by all their fans and the media.  They have been soothed and petted for their near miss against Florida State.  They are ripe for a let down.  It is hard to get excited about playing the predicted last place team in the West at home.  If we hit them in the mouth on the first couple of drives, we just might pull off the upset! 

USC in 1974 proves it can happen if you are well prepared and ready to play!   

hoglady

Quote from: GirlHog on July 27, 2014, 04:11:46 pm
These recollections give me chill bumps! Hoglady, I also remember Anthony Davis running straight toward us in the end zone on that long score. My heart sank for a few minutes, but what a game!!

I normally sit in the North End Zone.
But I had a cousin who wanted to go so I gave her my ticket and sat with a friend in the South End.