Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tim Brando sez no SEC team in this year's "Final Four"

Started by WizardofhOgZ, July 26, 2014, 08:48:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

. . . according to Harry King.  I missed that prediction from Brando.  Kinda surprises me, being the Louisiana guy that he is.

http://swtimes.com/columns-blogs/harry-king/king-how-sec-misses-college-football-playoffs

Mike Irwin

I think the SEC may be down a bit this season but the SEC Champion will be in the final 4.

Brando probably asked his pal Houston Nutt and believed what he was told. He seems to think everything Nutt says is gold.

hogcard1964

ricepig

Brando went from calling games on the SEC Network to FSS1, no agenda here. Or at least he was going to be hired by the SEC Network, at one point.

BPsTheMan

Tim Brando can stick a pineapple in his butt, or probably already has

atekido

Depending on how 4 other teams do in there own conferences the Final Four could very easily not have an SEC team in it.  Its not that the SEC is bad. its just that with this new system it will be A LOT tougher for a 1-2 loss SEC team to jump over a 1 loss or undefeated team.

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Tick Hog

I don't believe it for a second but it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if one didn't make it especially from the west. We recruit against these schools and more than often lose the battle.

daBoar

I think there is tremendous balance in the SEC this season.  No easy games.  We even think the Hogs can pull off an upset to two.  In contrast, the road to having a strong W/L is easier in the other big four conferences.  If Bama finds a QB quickly, they could be tough again.  And, while Georgia lost their QB, their offense might be amazing. 

Should be a fun season. 

LRRandy

It would take 4 undefeated teams from power conferences to keep a one loss sec champion out of the playoff. The clout of 7 of the last 8 national championships will for the time being keep the 2004 scenario from playing out. (Undefeated sec champ not in title game)
This is fun, isn't it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 26, 2014, 08:48:12 am
. . . according to Harry King.  I missed that prediction from Brando.  Kinda surprises me, being the Louisiana guy that he is.

http://swtimes.com/columns-blogs/harry-king/king-how-sec-misses-college-football-playoffs

He is trying to play to flavor of the year that the SEC has fallen and cannot get up.  FSU got the breaks last year but I believe the SEC will have 2 teams in the final 4.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 26, 2014, 09:01:01 am
I think the SEC may be down a bit this season but the SEC Champion will be in the final 4.

Brando probably asked his pal Houston Nutt and believed what he was told. He seems to think everything Nutt says is gold.

If he had a brain he'd know it was fool's gold—what Nutts thinks...

Mike Irwin

Jeff Long is chairman of the selection committee. You think he's gonna stand there and let the SEC get shut out? He'd be a hated man in his own conference.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 26, 2014, 10:10:49 am
Jeff Long is chairman of the selection committee. You think he's gonna stand there and let the SEC get shut out? He'd be a hated man in his own conference.

You mean you think he is above puiing a Steve Superior? 

I personally wouldn't put it past him but that's just me.

LRRandy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 26, 2014, 10:10:49 am
well, there you have the human bias element. I'm assuming you mean all things being equal ( same w/l record,  comparable strength of schedule,etc) that he would give the sec team the nod. He wouldn't possibly have the ability to put a one loss sec team in over any undefeated champ from a power conference. Four undefeated teams would be a rarity but for the sake of argument I couldn't see that happening. Things might get mirky if the sec champ has 2 losses and the fourth playoff spot is open  and there are a few one loss teams vying for that last spot. I could see the ability to exert some influence in that situation. It will be interesting to watch. 
This is fun, isn't it.

hoghiker

It will be a an almost Championship if the SEC  isn't represented.

DEVIL DOG HOG

IMO

1 team from the SEC
1 team from the Pac 12
1 team from the Big Ten
1 team from either the ACC or Big 12
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Cinco de Hogo

The PAC12, B1G and ACC can and will override the SEC if given a chance.  The Big12 has been a media, computer and voters darling for years so you can't count them out either.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: atekido on July 26, 2014, 09:16:49 am
Depending on how 4 other teams do in there own conferences the Final Four could very easily not have an SEC team in it.  Its not that the SEC is bad. its just that with this new system it will be A LOT tougher for a 1-2 loss SEC team to jump over a 1 loss or undefeated team.

Not true. One of the main goals of the new system is to consider opponents as a whole not just according to record. It's much more like how seeding is done in the NCAA Bball Tournament. A 1 loss SEC team will be given a ton of consideration considering SOS. Even if the SEC champion has 2 losses they will be given consideration and if a team with 1 loss is ahead but played a weaker schedule.

Dark Helmet Hog

Brando must have gotten into Marshall's stash while doing a previous story.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 26, 2014, 10:48:40 am
The PAC12, B1G and ACC can and will override the SEC if given a chance.  The Big12 has been a media, computer and voters darling for years so you can't count them out either.

The selection committee isn't set up to work this way. There are people like Steve Wieberg, Condoleezza Rice, Archie Manning, Lt. Gen. Michael Gould on the committee. This not simply putting an AD from each conference in a room and having them argue it out. Many of these representatives will not have bias to a single conference.

Piggfoot

The SEC will rue the day this new system was adopted. This was not a system designed to pit the best against the best. It like the constitution upon which our governing system was created to prevent the powerful from dominating the weak.
The chosen format has too few teams and too few voters. There may be a day when the SEC may have the four best teams in the country but politics will never allow those four to compete.  It is simply a liberal attempt to bring the weak to the party.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Piggfoot on July 26, 2014, 11:09:55 am
The SEC will rue the day this new system was adopted. This was not a system designed to pit the best against the best. It like the constitution upon which our governing system was created to prevent the powerful from dominating the weak.
The chosen format has too few teams and too few voters. There may be a day when the SEC may have the four best teams in the country but politics will never allow those four to compete.  It is simply a liberal attempt to bring the weak to the party.

The playoff won't stop at 4. It will go to 8 then 16. It's inevitable.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: GlassofSwine on July 26, 2014, 11:04:42 am
  The selection committee isn't set up to work this way. There are people like Steve Wieberg, Condoleezza Rice, Archie Manning, Lt. Gen. Michael Gould on the committee. This not simply putting an AD from each conference in a room and having them argue it out. Many of these representatives will not have bias to a single conference.

Everyone has a bias, you have no way of knowing how that will affect there decisions.  My opinion is it was a bad deal for the SEC to settle for a 4 team playoff vs 8.  With 8, each of the majors could have been guarenteed a spot with 3 at large spots available for deserving teams.  It will happen very soon.

fakebobholt

How much stink will putting 2 SEC teams make accross the country. If my memory serves me right, we have owned the national championship for the last decade. Is America tired of SEC dominance or is our confrence strong enough that they cant do anything about it but stand there and take it.

GlassofSwine

I don't get this opinion. Can anyone legitimately name more than 4 teams in most years that deserve a shot at the title. The system that aimed to prevent the best match-ups was the bowl system. That was improved with the BCS but not perfect because in most years there were 1 or 2 teams that had a argument for having a chance. This system even at 4 teams is the best system we have ever had at getting a legit champion.

Cinco de Hogo

I think there is a lot of backlash against SEC dominance and the crack in the armor with FSU winning could lead to the SEC champ being left out.  Also the seeding will play into who is the final winner or the final two teams.  After all the final two team really are the only ones playing for the NC.

TNhawgfan

I'm fine with the SEC not getting one of the four spots. Since we all know Arkansas is not going to be one of those four, I really don't feel like Bama, Auburn, LSU, etc. playing for another championship
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

hogcard1964

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on July 26, 2014, 10:35:50 am
IMO

1 team from the SEC
1 team from the Pac 12
1 team from the Big Ten
1 team from either the ACC or Big 12

Unless the Big 10 has a team in the top 4, they should not be represented.  That conference is awful.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 26, 2014, 11:14:59 am
Everyone has a bias, you have no way of knowing how that will affect there decisions.  My opinion is it was a bad deal for the SEC to settle for a 4 team playoff vs 8.  With 8, each of the majors could have been guarenteed a spot with 3 at large spots available for deserving teams.  It will happen very soon.

It is true that everyone has a bias, but you have people with no conference affiliations in this group. You have 13 members, it's not going to be easy to shut out a team that is deserving based on bias. Plus if you want to look for Bias the SEC arguably has more potential members of the committee with a SEC leaning. 4 of the 13 have SEC ties by way of growing up in areas of the SEC or playing and working at schools there.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 26, 2014, 11:21:35 am
I'm fine with the SEC not getting one of the four spots. Since we all know Arkansas is not going to be one of those four, I really don't feel like Bama, Auburn, LSU, etc. playing for another championship

Exhibit #1

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 26, 2014, 11:25:39 am
Exhibit #1

Fan opinions are not representative of what the committee will discuss. They're not going to go in a room and have Jeff Long pull out an email from FCJ and discuss who should be in the playoff.

Hawghiggs

This so called playoff is nothing more than a way to limit the SEC. The BCS had its problems but it got it correct most of the time. Adding a human element will only screw things up. What happens the day that you have 11-1 Notre Dame team,11-1 Texas,12-1 Ohio st., 12-1 USC, and a 12-1 Mississippi state team. I'll tell you what happens. Mississippi state gets left out of the playoff due to the fact that they aren't a national brand.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: GlassofSwine on July 26, 2014, 11:29:16 am
Fan opinions are not representative of what the committee will discuss. They're not going to go in a room and have Jeff Long pull out an email from FCJ and discuss who should be in the playoff.
God lets hope not. I can think of a hundred posters on hogville I'd rather have picking the teams than FCJ
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

PonderinHog

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hawghiggs on July 26, 2014, 11:35:02 am
This so called playoff is nothing more than a way to limit the SEC. The BCS had its problems but it got it correct most of the time. Adding a human element will only screw things up. What happens the day that you have 11-1 Notre Dame team,11-1 Texas,12-1 Ohio st., 12-1 USC, and a 12-1 Mississippi state team. I'll tell you what happens. Mississippi state gets left out of the playoff due to the fact that they aren't a national brand.

Exhibit #2

It's not gonna get Arkansas in either.

LRRandy

i think the opportunity for the sec to have the best four teams has passed. Things go n cycles. I think the dominant cycle of the sec has ended. Oh, there will be an sec team in the playoffs every year and they will win more Championships. Of that I have no doubt. But to think there will be 3 much less 4 teams from any conference in the playoff going forward is folly.
This is fun, isn't it.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on July 26, 2014, 11:13:02 am
The playoff won't stop at 4. It will go to 8 then 16. It's inevitable.

Incorrect.  The field will not expand for at least 10 years - which qualifies as "forever" in today's world.

This comes from the person who correctly forecast the "Final Four" Playoff format we finally will have this season more than 7 years ago.  The only slight variation is that they will be using a "selection committee", whereas I suggested (and still think) that the teams should be picked by a transparent mix of the currently used subjective polls (ie, USA Today) and a few of the older, more reliable computer polls - as the BCS did.  Otherwise, the New Championship series is exactly as I suggested it should be.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=138749.msg2158852#msg2158852

That is a very long discussion of the whole playoff scenario.  Still worth the read, IMO, and as accurate today as it was the day I first typed it. 

PonderinHog

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, Wiz.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 26, 2014, 11:50:00 am
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, Wiz.

What, Wiz thinking highly of his posts, I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked.

lefty08

the day that happens we will all be dodging meteors or alien spacecraft or whatever your idea of armegeddon is. a 12-1 mississippi st team will never exist
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hawghiggs

Quote from: lefty08 on July 26, 2014, 12:19:19 pm
the day that happens we will all be dodging meteors or alien spacecraft or whatever your idea of armegeddon is. a 12-1 mississippi st team will never exist
That's not the point. You can substitute anyone else in their if you want. Arkansas,Kentucky,Indiana

hoghiker

Previous setup was better for Hogs. Win the SEC then go Natty game.

HiggiePiggy

I can see how it would happen I just doubt it would happen.  If the sec beats each other up and ends up with a bunch of 2 and 3 loss teams and the other big conferences finish with 1 and 0 loss teams then there is a good chance that those teams would get in over a 2 or 3 loss SEC team. 

Ohio state 12-1 (big 10 champ)
Texas 12-0 ( big 12 champ)
USC 12-1.  (PAC 12 champ)
Florida State 13-0 (ACC champ)
South Carolina 11-2 (sec champ).

Would be a good chance that South Carolina would be left out in this scenario. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

RNHog

Brando is just another talking head that won't be suiting up this year.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 26, 2014, 11:21:33 am
I think there is a lot of backlash against SEC dominance and the crack in the armor with FSU winning could lead to the SEC champ being left out.  Also the seeding will play into who is the final winner or the final two teams.  After all the final two team really are the only ones playing for the NC.
FSU did not play against the strongest team in the SEC. Auburn represented the SEC after two fluke wins. But it was the system at the time. They have yet to develops the most ideal system and politics will prevent it from ever happening.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Hawgzinbowlz

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Piggfoot on July 26, 2014, 01:44:43 pm
FSU did not play against the strongest team in the SEC. Auburn represented the SEC after two fluke wins. But it was the system at the time. They have yet to develops the most ideal system and politics will prevent it from ever happening.

Just a matter of splitting hairs.  There were about four teams that on any given day could have been tha best.  Auburn simply persevered.

Hawgzinbowlz

This is when the pressure to go to 8 would ratchet up.
Mike Slive and ESPN would not be pleased.
Jeff may change the narrative if this would occur.
And money/politics will drive this train to 8.

" GO HOGS "

Cinco de Hogo

I think you have to rank the conferences as a whole first before you look at individual records.  That way when you do look at records it gives you a better idea how to compare individual records. 

There is no doubt over the last eight years the SEC has been the best and at times had two or even three of the top four team in the country.  On the other hand I've always thought that USC got ripped of a couple pf times which I never would have thought would happen.