Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog game vs NIU

Started by EulessHog, July 25, 2014, 08:22:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dhizzle

He even had a professor at the UofA say the Huskies will win. This guy or gal is crazy.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

There was numerous attempts at humor that fell flat in this article. Seems like a real square.
ched come back pls

FaytownHog

I think we'll still win bc it's at home and we're in the SEC, but we better not overlook them. They've been good for a long time and have as many BCS appearances as we do. And yes, they've won like that through multiple qb's so I expect their new guy to come in and win too.

GlassofSwine

Might be a close game. Losing Jordan Lynch is going to hurt them as they will have a 1st year starting QB. We also have the edge on talent. If we have a decent passing game against them we will give their defense nightmares. They are small on the line and can be pushed around. Last year they rated last in run stops behind the line in the nation. I expect the score at halftime will be close but we should be able to wear them down and pull away in the 2nd half. 

Boston RedHogs

What exactly are the requirements or pre-qualifications nowadays for sports writers?  Is there any external pressure, or just pride from within, to write a decent story these days?

I've read some of the worst sports stories in years over the last month and this one takes the cake, which is saying something.

Augustus

Agreed. Not the best written article I've seen.

Discussing Arkansas during Media Days, the ESPN guys called out the NIU game as one to watch out for.

While back to back 12 win seasons looks impressive on paper, if you look at who they played the luster wears off.  I'm reminded of the triple take I did when they got the Orange Bowl nod in 2012.

I agree w/ above, they may keep it relatively close the 1st half, but our size & strength push them around in the 2nd and we break away.  I'm thinking a win by 17 point margin.

Phil D

GO HOGS!!!!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: FaytownHog link=topic=570797.msg9088442#msg9088442
They have as many BCS appearances as we do.

Aren't you missing the Quidditch World Cup?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The Hogfather

The NewEra

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 25, 2014, 10:48:28 pm
38-10

I'm inclined to believe the score will be something like this.

bennyl08

ULL was supposed to be tough too, except they still had their quarterback. The final score may be closer this game, but I expect a similar amount of anticipation pregame with a hog team that is in control for the game and pulling away late.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ZERO

You know, my first reaction was to come here and post about how NIU could be a surprisingly good team, and how we should respect all of our opponents after ULM and our close run-in with Samford. But... no. Just no. It's about time we got respect for our team and program back. I'm not going to flinch at the likes of NIU. Not simply because "they're NIU and we're in the SEC," it goes deeper than that if you do some basic research.

They played FOUR teams that went 1-11 last year, and a fifth team that went 2-10. And then they played an FCS opponent - which was actually a pretty good FCS team, but FCS nonetheless. I mean, that's so freaking pathetic of a schedule that it's nearly unbelievable. They beat an 8-5 Iowa team @Iowa, a 10-3 Ball State team, and a 7-5 Toledo team @Toledo. Those are their marquee wins. Who couldn't go 12-2 with that kind of schedule?

Then let's look at their 2012 squad. FCS victory. Three more teams that went 1-11. Another two teams that went 2-10. That's six victories in another 12-2 season they earned simply by showing up.

How about their 11-3 2011 team? Two of their three losses were to a 2-10 Kansas and 3-9 Central Michigan. Then they go on to beat six teams without winning records.

2010 saw another "impressive" 11-3 run. One of their losses was to Iowa State, who failed to make a Bowl. Then they racked up their yearly FCS victory, and beat seven more teams without winning records (including multiple 1-11, 2-10, 3-9 teams. You know the drill).

These guys play in the MAC. This kind of schedule is a yearly occurrence for NIU, and they've only fairly recently climbed out of the ranks of perennial losing records themselves. This team is soft, guys. This team is incredibly soft. Maybe we won't put them away as drastically as we should. Our team won't be a good team, and we have many kinks to work out. After all, Southern Miss and Samford held on for a remarkably long time. But make no mistake, we WILL put this team away nonetheless.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Dwight_K_Shrute

If we have our $h!t together this should turn out like the ULL game. Decent mid major opponent but this is not your daddy's NIU
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

OahuHawg

I think this one will be close throughout the first 3 but Ark's size on both of lines eventually wears them down and the hogs pull away in the 4th.

NIU-17
UA-28

BigSexyHog

If this game is close I will be disappointed and means another long year.  I don't mean 50-7 type game but we should handle these clowns from the opening kickoff.  They had their once in a lifetime player now it's back to normal
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

bennyl08

Quote from: BigSexyHog on July 26, 2014, 12:28:03 am
If this game is close I will be disappointed and means another long year.  I don't mean 50-7 type game but we should handle these clowns from the opening kickoff.  They had their once in a lifetime player now it's back to normal

Just curious. How many people here actually realize that their once in a life time player wasn't Jordan Lynch, but instead was a safety who was drafted in the first round? Lynch went undrafted.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ZERO

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 26, 2014, 12:55:04 am
Just curious. How many people here actually realize that their once in a life time player wasn't Jordan Lynch, but instead was a safety who was drafted in the first round? Lynch went undrafted.

I was aware Lynch was not their main guy. He was the QB for their two 12-2 seasons, but they went 11-3 the two years prior with him only performing mop-up.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Augustus on July 25, 2014, 09:17:42 pm
Agreed. Not the best written article I've seen.

Discussing Arkansas during Media Days, the ESPN guys called out the NIU game as one to watch out for.

While back to back 12 win seasons looks impressive on paper, if you look at who they played the luster wears off.  I'm reminded of the triple take I did when they got the Orange Bowl nod in 2012.

I agree w/ above, they may keep it relatively close the 1st half, but our size & strength push them around in the 2nd and we break away.  I'm thinking a win by 17 point margin.

Sounding an awful lot like the Rutgers and ECU predictions.  :D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

July 26, 2014, 06:56:35 am #19 Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:57:06 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 26, 2014, 06:27:34 am
Sounding an awful lot like the Rutgers and ECU predictions.  :D

Phil Steele's pre-season projections have NIU at #46 and he has them going to a bowl.

But in his Power Poll he has Arkansas at #39 in the country compared to NIU at #85.

The first is based on not only the team, but the schedule that they play. The Power Poll is based solely on the strength of the teams (as Steele sees it) and Steele is usually more right than wrong.

I do think NIU will make a game of it at first but if we have improved as we keep hearing, we "should" win by 14-21 points.
Go Hogs Go!

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: ZERO on July 25, 2014, 11:43:37 pm
You know, my first reaction was to come here and post about how NIU could be a surprisingly good team, and how we should respect all of our opponents after ULM and our close run-in with Samford. But... no. Just no. It's about time we got respect for our team and program back. I'm not going to flinch at the likes of NIU. Not simply because "they're NIU and we're in the SEC," it goes deeper than that if you do some basic research.

They played FOUR teams that went 1-11 last year, and a fifth team that went 2-10. And then they played an FCS opponent - which was actually a pretty good FCS team, but FCS nonetheless. I mean, that's so freaking pathetic of a schedule that it's nearly unbelievable. They beat an 8-5 Iowa team @Iowa, a 10-3 Ball State team, and a 7-5 Toledo team @Toledo. Those are their marquee wins. Who couldn't go 12-2 with that kind of schedule?

Then let's look at their 2012 squad. FCS victory. Three more teams that went 1-11. Another two teams that went 2-10. That's six victories in another 12-2 season they earned simply by showing up.

How about their 11-3 2011 team? Two of their three losses were to a 2-10 Kansas and 3-9 Central Michigan. Then they go on to beat six teams without winning records.

2010 saw another "impressive" 11-3 run. One of their losses was to Iowa State, who failed to make a Bowl. Then they racked up their yearly FCS victory, and beat seven more teams without winning records (including multiple 1-11, 2-10, 3-9 teams. You know the drill).

These guys play in the MAC. This kind of schedule is a yearly occurrence for NIU, and they've only fairly recently climbed out of the ranks of perennial losing records themselves. This team is soft, guys. This team is incredibly soft. Maybe we won't put them away as drastically as we should. Our team won't be a good team, and we have many kinks to work out. After all, Southern Miss and Samford held on for a remarkably long time. But make no mistake, we WILL put this team away nonetheless.

This ^.

Great post.

Dwight_K_Shrute

But of course all the facts stats etc won't stop all the we suck we scare bed wetters out there.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

20hog11

NIU lost their top passer/rusher from a year ago. They are also losing a lot of experience on defense. The two teams that beat them last year had somewhat balanced attacks but were able to run and throw on them easily. In both losses, NIU's offense still piled up the yards. I think Arkansas will beat this team without much of a problem due to our size and speed advantage and our overall toughness in the trenches. Had we played them a year ago, the results could've been bad for us with Jordan Lynch at qb. How well we do against them may tell us how the rest of the season will go. If we are to be the team that everyone hopes we wil be (bowl eligible), then we cannot struggle against a team from the MAC period.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 26, 2014, 06:56:35 am
Phil Steele's pre-season projections have NIU at #46 and he has them going to a bowl.

But in his Power Poll he has Arkansas at #39 in the country compared to NIU at #85.

The first is based on not only the team, but the schedule that they play. The Power Poll is based solely on the strength of the teams (as Steele sees it) and Steele is usually more right than wrong.

I do think NIU will make a game of it at first but if we have improved as we keep hearing, we "should" win by 14-21 points.

All of that is great but it is hard to predict a single game. Look at last year at Rutgers. The game was ours and then the wheels fell off. Besides this board has a history of under estimating teams. There was so much smack talk about OSU before the Sugar Bowl.

So that is all I am saying - there is a pattern.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

DeltaBoy

HOGS punch them in the Mouth and don't fall apart like last year at Rutgers.  30-14.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 26, 2014, 05:54:47 pm
All of that is great but it is hard to predict a single game. Look at last year at Rutgers. The game was ours and then the wheels fell off. Besides this board has a history of under estimating teams. There was so much smack talk about OSU before the Sugar Bowl.

So that is all I am saying - there is a pattern.  ;D

So what say you, Chitown?

You can look out your back windows and watch them practice can't you?'

" GO HOGS "

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on July 26, 2014, 06:22:16 pm
So what say you, Chitown?

You can look out your back windows and watch them practice can't you?'

" GO HOGS "

Chicago is not really a college sports town - it is all about the pro teams. For me I think we win and before either team has played a game it is pure speculation that we will win by 14 to 21 points.

I guess what bugs me is people on here always talk about how the other team has lost someone, yet also talk about how we improve. As if we are the only team to improve.

Besides I am having football withdrawl and am a bit cranky!  ;D

hogcard1964

We will blow them out.

45-10

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: ZERO on July 25, 2014, 11:43:37 pm

J.L.Smith
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 26, 2014, 06:35:07 pm
Chicago is not really a college sports town ...

For not being a college sports town I-80, I-90 and I-94 look like trains the Saturdays the Domers are in South Bend.
With such a large population base there's plenty to go around.
And soon a +1 season is on the horizon for The Hogs with I-49 lookin' like a train in NWA.
35-17 Hogs vs. UNI should ease your withdrawal pain.

" GO HOGS "

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 26, 2014, 06:35:07 pm
Chicago is not really a college sports town - it is all about the pro teams. For me I think we win and before either team has played a game it is pure speculation that we will win by 14 to 21 points.

I guess what bugs me is people on here always talk about how the other team has lost someone, yet also talk about how we improve. As if we are the only team to improve.

Besides I am having football withdrawl and am a bit cranky!  ;D

Sounds like you need a high colonic, amigo.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 26, 2014, 07:11:15 pm
Sounds like you need a high colonic, amigo.

Is that one of those tropical drinks with the little umbrellas?   ;D

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on July 26, 2014, 06:59:58 pm
For not being a college sports town I-80, I-90 and I-94 look like trains the Saturdays the Domers are in South Bend.
With such a large population base there's plenty to go around.
And soon a +1 season is on the horizon for The Hogs with I-49 lookin' like a train in NWA.
35-17 Hogs vs. UNI should ease your withdrawal pain.

" GO HOGS "

I should have said the local media doesn't really follow the teams. There most definitely are a lot of Irish alums here.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 26, 2014, 07:22:44 pm
Is that one of those tropical drinks with the little umbrellas?   ;D

Oh it's certainly a cocktail of sorts, but I would hate to think about an umbrella being involved.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

Dave Drury, WTH, man.  That guy needs  a lot of help.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 26, 2014, 07:45:04 pm
Oh it's certainly a cocktail of sorts, but I would hate to think about an umbrella being involved.

;D

FaytownHog

I hope this year is different, I really do! But this thread looks exactly like the stuff we were saying about Samford and we barely beat them at home (and NIU is much better than Samford).

chitwnhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 26, 2014, 07:45:04 pm

Ouch!

Murr

Quote from: Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson on July 25, 2014, 08:40:10 pm
There was numerous attempts at humor that fell flat in this article. Seems like a real square.

The humor was the author's grammar.

ZERO

RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan

I've made a lot of money in recent years betting on NIU against the spread. They are a well ran program. But they do not have the size to take on Arkansas. This should be a lock for the Hogs.

MuskogeeHogFan

NIU Depth Chart prior to 2013 Bowl Game. Check out their losses, especially on the D-Line and in the Secondary.

OFFENSE
Pos   No   Player
WR   4   Brown, Da'Ron RS JR, 6-0, 194   
WR   11   Brescacin, Juwan RS SO 6-4, 219
WR    8   Williams, Matt RS FR 6-1, 188

WR   10   Lewis, Tommylee JR 5-7, 155   
WR    14   Turner, Aregeros FR 5-11, 170   
WR    86   Brinlee, Jacob SO 5-9, 185

LT   78   Brown, Ryan RS FR 6-6, 283   
LT   71   Myers, Levon RS FR 6-5, 267       

LG   77   Volk, Jared RS SR
LG   66   Battaglia, Matt RS SR

C   55   Ness, Andrew RS SO 6-3, 286   
C    59   Gegner, Michael RS JR 6-3, 283

RG   61   Conlon, Aidan RS SO 6-3, 287
RG   67   Pitt, Tyler RS JR  6-5, 292       

RT   79   Krempel, Matt RS SR
RT   70   Ruka, Josh RS FR 6-5, 295       

TE   83   Eakes, Luke RS JR 6-3, 250   
TE   37   Maxwell, Desroy SO 6-2, 245   
TE   88   Semisch, Tim RS JR 6-8, 266

QB   6   Lynch, Jordan RS SR
QB    9   McIntosh, Matt RS SO 6-1, 197
QB   12   Hare, Drew RS FR 6-1, 200

RB   42   Stingily, Cameron RS JR 6-1, 244   
RB   34   Spencer, James RS JR 5-8, 181
RB   36   Smith, Draco FR 5-9, 185

FB   47   Sterling, Rob JR     5-10, 231   
FB   48   Connors, Ricky RS JR 6-1, 246

DEFENSE
DE   46   Rainey, George RS SR
DE   89   O'Neal, Stephen RS SR

DT   93   Bishop, Ken SR
DT  94   Gordon, Donovan RS JR 6-0, 275

NT   91   Wells, Anthony RS SR
NT  92   Jones, Mario RS FR 6-0, 275       

DE   97   Windsor, Joe SR
DE   44   Ford, Perez SO   6-0, 218   
DE    49   Meehan, Jason JR 6-1, 241

OLB   6   Bass, Jamaal RS JR 5-10, 225   
OLB  41   Hazelett, Cody RS FR 6-0, 200

MLB   45   Mays, Boomer RS SO 6-0, 230   
MLB   40   Folliard, Sean FR 6-2, 205       

OLB   7   Santacaterina, Michael RS JR 5-10, 210
OLB  33   Payton, Jamaal FR 6-0, 210       

CB   29   Logan, Paris RS SO  5-9, 179   
CB   21   Moore, Marlon SO 5-9, 180       

SS   15   Ward, Jimmie SR
SS  11   Allen, Mycial FR 5-11, 183       

FS   1   Durante, Dechane RS JR 6-2, 196   
FS  24   Ware, Dominique RS SR

CB   5   Faustin, Jhony SR
CB   2   Evans, Sean RS SR

SPECIAL TEAMS
P   26   Wedel, Tyler JR

PK   99   Sims, Mathew SR
PK   26   Wedel, Tyler JR

LS   84   Mayer, Brian RS JR

H   26   Wedel, Tyler JR
H     8   Williams, Matt RS FR

PR   10   Lewis, Tommylee JR
PR    8   Williams, Matt RS FR

KR   10   Lewis, Tommylee JR
KR   14   Turner, Aregeros FR
KR   29   Logan, Paris RS SO

KO   26   Wedel, Tyler JR

Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 27, 2014, 08:43:41 am
NIU Depth Chart prior to 2013 Bowl Game. Check out their losses, especially on the D-Line and in the Secondary.

OFFENSE
Pos   No   Player

DEFENSE

DT   93   Bishop, Ken SR

SPECIAL TEAMS
P   26   Wedel, Tyler JR

H   26   Wedel, Tyler JR

Yep we should win and on paper we should win big. As someone else said until they show it on the field all I can muster is the hope they will win. Winning big is too big of a jump at this time for me. Now by the time we get to this game the team may have shown me they have grown a lot.

ricepig

Quote from: FaytownHog on July 26, 2014, 09:08:50 pm
I hope this year is different, I really do! But this thread looks exactly like the stuff we were saying about Samford and we barely beat them at home (and NIU is much better than Samford).

The game was in LR.......

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 27, 2014, 09:26:54 am
Yep we should win and on paper we should win big. As someone else said until they show it on the field all I can muster is the hope they will win. Winning big is too big of a jump at this time for me. Now by the time we get to this game the team may have shown me they have grown a lot.

I'm not saying that we are going to win big. Point was, NIU lost a lot off their team from last year, especially on defense.

Now I understand why Phil Steele had them with a power rating of #85 in the nation.
Go Hogs Go!

HogFanatic

I can't really put much stock in the predictions of a person who tries to use mascots as a criteria for their analysis.

Hogwild

That was from the bowl game, they lost a few offensive lineman late in the season.NIU returns 15 starters, 9 on offense. 

They are returning their top 5 offensive lineman from  last season.  All five started against Iowa before injuries started, they will be able to run the ball. They have not determined who their QB will be yet. 

On defense they lost their entire front 4 and 3 DB including a first rounder.

We are the 3rd of 3 consecutive road games, and the least popular trip of the three.  The first is in week 2  @Northwestern, the 2nd the school is preparing trip packages to Las Vegas (UNLV).  I doubt that they will bring many fans to our game because of the two trips before our game.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 27, 2014, 08:43:41 am

OFFENSE
Pos   No   Player

DEFENSE

DT   93   Bishop, Ken SR

SPECIAL TEAMS
P   26   Wedel, Tyler JR

H   26   Wedel, Tyler JR

chitwnhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 27, 2014, 09:30:31 am
The game was in LR.......

We were playing Samford in LR not ULL so it was a "home" game. Nice try.

ricepig

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 27, 2014, 11:46:59 am
We were playing Samford in LR not ULL so it was a "home" game. Nice try.

And his quote was about Samford, thus the LR comment, excellent try I'd say.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

We were on the NIU campus Friday.  My daughter was doing a tour of Illinois colleges during the summer and their bookstore had shirts saying "Kirk Herbstreit can bite me".  Obviously they aren't a fan of ESPN coverage of them either.  It was a nice campus and is a much bigger university than many people realize.  They are in the neighborhood of Arkansas's size, campus and student wise.